Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 5 of 111 First ... 3456710 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Chael looks thick as hell relative to everyone else in the picture and look at his forearms.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Junie Browning wanted for assault in Thailand

Junie Browning of Ultimate Fighter infamy is now a wanted man by Thailand after another run-in with the law. According to various reports from the region, Browning was training in Phuket, Thailand when a bar brawl broke out that involved him allegedly attacking women as well as men. Then, while undergoing treatment for a variety of lacerations, Browning got into another fight at the hospital, fled from the scene, and hasn’t been seen since. Police are currently searching for him, including making attempts to cut off Browning if he tries to fly out of the country.
    While on the lam Browning apparently found a place with internet access, writing on Facebook, “Wow what a helluva weekend. Some (expletive) named Sie Menzies and about 10 of his friends started a fight with me. I guess just to test a ‘UFC fighter guy’ at this (expletive) little bar in Karon Thailand. Had a beer bottle and glass mug shattered on my head, then to make everything better, stabbed severely by some crazy Thai (expletive).”

In standard Browning fashion, the controversial competitor also claimed he got the better of the men, adding, “On a positive note, I managed to break a few orbital bones, at least a couple jaws, and some unconscious bodies laying on the ground before I blacked out from loss of blood and apparently had to be resuscitated in the ambulance. So, how was your weekend?”

The situation echos a previous situation where Browning was released from the UFC after taking pills in an alleged suicide attempt and attacking several nurses at a Las Vegas hospital while under their care. He has gone just 1-4 in fights since the release but clearly has bigger issues to worry about at the moment rather than when his next victory might come.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Roy Nelson vs. Fabricio Werdum slotted for UFC 143 in February

Name:  fabricio-werdum-11.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  81.8 KB

A heavyweight bout between Roy Nelson (16-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and the returning Fabricio Werdum (14-5-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) has been slotted for February's UFC 143 event.

Werdum will jump from Strikeforce to the UFC, where he fought from 2007 to 2008, as part of the long-rumored move.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the bout with event sources. MMAWeekly.com first reported it.

UFC 143 takes place on the eve of the NFL's Super Bowl, Feb. 4, at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, and Nelson vs. Werdum is expected to be part of the broadcast.

Nelson, who won "The Ultimate Fighter 10," likely staved off a UFC release with a third-round TKO of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 137 in October. Prior to the much-needed win, the fan favorite and former IFL champion suffered back-to-back decision losses to Junior Dos Santos and Frank Mir.

Werdum won his first three fights after he left the UFC for Strikeforce in 2008. His first two came against Mike Kyle and Antonio Silva, and then in his next bout, he earned the 2010 World MMA Awards "Submission of the Year" trophy for his 69-second armbar/triangle choke of Fedor Emelianenko. The performance snapped Emelianenko's legendary 27-fight win streak.

However, in the opening round of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix earlier this year, Werdum suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Alistair Overeem in a flat performance.

The latest UFC 143 card includes:
    • Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz (for interim welterweight title)
    • Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce
    • Roy Nelson vs. Fabricio Werdum*
    • Renan Barao vs. Scott Jorgensen
    • Erik Koch vs. Dustin Poirier
    • Alex Caceres vs. Edwin Figueroa
    • Jorge Lopez vs. Amir Sadollah
    • Rafael Natal vs Michael Kuiper
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Jungle Fight Bantamweight Champion John Lineker signed by the UFC, set to compete at

Jungle Fight Bantamweight Champion John Lineker signed by the UFC, set to compete at flyweight

The UFC is going all-out in establishing their newly-announced flyweight division.

That's because Tatame.com reports that Brazilian bruiser John "Mão de Pedra" Lineker (19-5), who captured the Jungle Fight 61 kg. title in September with a split decision over Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Brazil hopeful Ilarde Sabino Belo dos Santos, has been signed by the world's largest fight promotion and will compete at 125-pounds.

Lineker, 20, joins the UFC in the midst of a fantastic 13-fight winning streak. Seven of those have come in in 2011 alone.
    The mohawked brawler, after losing five of nine fights in 2009, established himself as one of the premier prospects in Brazil with an iron chin, reckless abandon, and serious power in his hands. Throughout his rampage, Lineker frequently expressed a desire to fight inside the Octagon.
    Looks like he got his wish. And considering he's been my favorite Brazilian prospect for a while, let me be the first to tell you all you're in for a treat.

Videos of Lineker in action after the jump.

The flyweight division is set to debut March 3, 2012, with a doozy of a four-man tournament, featuring TPF champion Ian McCall, Shooto champion Yasuhiro Uru****ani, and former bantamweight contenders Demetrious Johnson and Joseph Benavidez.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

The ‘True Story’ on How the UFC was Born (video)

Ever wondered what the real story is behind how the UFC actually got its start?
    Check out this video and you’ll get the scoop…

NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Strikeforce 'Melendez vs Masvidal' fight card: Gegard Mousasi vs Ovince St Preux prev

A seasoned veteran will test a rising prospect at light heavyweight this Saturday night (December 17, 2011) as former Strikeforce champion Gegard Mousasi takes on rising star Ovince St. Preux on the Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal main card.
    Mousasi lost his title in April of 2010 and he wants it back. Since losing the belt, he's won the Dream light heavyweight grand prix to claim their belt, he's beaten K-1 striker Kyotaro in a kickboxing match and he controversially drew with Keith Jardine. He would love to score a big victory and potentially reclaim the vacant title.

Ovince St. Preux has gone 5-0 in Strikeforce, making his debut with the promotion on the night Mousasi lost his title. He ran a gauntlet of three seasoned veterans in three months to leap into the stratosphere of top prospect and he cemented that status with a 72 second knockout of previously undefeated Joe Cason earlier this summer. He's finally ready to take on his first legitimate challenge.

Will Mousasi's experience and talent give him the decisive edge he needs? Can "OSP" continue his incredible Strikeforce run with a monumental upset? How does each dangerous light heavyweight earn a victory on Saturday night?
    Let's find out:

Gegard Mousasi
    Record: 31-3-2 overall, 2-1-1 in Strikeforce
    Key Wins: Renato Sobral (Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg), Mark Hunt (Dream 9), Ronaldo Souza (Dream 6)
    Key Losses: Muhammad Lawal (Strikeforce: Nashville)

How he got here
    : Still just 26 years old, Gegard Mousasi has fought professionally in MMA 36 times and he's also 5-0 in professional kickboxing bouts. He got an early start with martial arts, training in judo, boxing, kickboxing and eventually MMA.

Originally competing at middleweight, he would catch the eyes of Pride talent scouts, who enlisted him in their welterweight (185 pound) tournament. Although he would be upset by Akhiro Gono in the quarterfinals, "The Dreamcatcher" would score one of the most impressive victories of his career with a unanimous decision against Hector Lombard in the alternate bout.

After bouncing around several promotions, Mousasi signed up for the Dream middleweight tournament, defeating everyone in his path including Denis Kang, Melvin Manhoef and eventually Ronaldo Souza in the finals to be crowned the Dream middleweight champion.
    Mousasi moved to light heavyweight for his Strikeforce debut, knocking out Renato Sobral to claim the title but his reign would be short-lived as he would be upset by "King Mo" Lawal at Strikeforce: Nashville in April of 2010. Since then, he's been successful fighting in Japan but fought to a controversial majority draw against Keith Jardine in his lone fight on US soil. He'll be looking to right that ship against Ovince St. Preux.

How he gets it done
    : Mousasi has so many weapons, that's what makes him very dangerous. They key for him will be to find a rhythm in his striking. His stand-up is as lethal as any fighter at light heavyweight in the world due to his K-1 kickboxing background. He's got tremendous power and he is very technical and precise with his stand-up.

With his judo background, he wouldn't mind if this bout were to go to the clinch as he's got some very nice tosses in his arsenal and he's very good at hurting his opponents whether they are against the ropes or a fence.

What Mousasi does not want to do is spend this fight on his back. Sure, he's aggressive with submissions and strikes from there, but it's not a favorable position. Look for him to try to utilize his footwork to keep a proper distance and keep striking. The longer this fight goes, the more comfortable he's going to get and the more trouble OSP will be in.

Ovince St. Preux

Record: 11-4 overall, 5-0 in Strikeforce
    Key Wins: Abongo Humphry (Strikeforce Challengers 13), Antwain Britt (Strikeforce Challengers 12), Benji Radach (Strikeforce: St. Louis)
    Key Losses: Virgil Zwicker (TCC 1)

How he got here
    : Ovince St. Preux got off to an inauspicious start to his MMA career, dropping bouts to the likes of future UFC fighter Rodney Wallace, future Bellator fighter Nik Fekete and future Strikeforce competitor Virgil Zwicker in his first seven fights. Since that time though, he's been unstoppable.

Despite just a 4-4 record at the time, he made his Strikeforce debut in April of 2010, knocking his opponent out in just 47 seconds. What really turned some heads was his eight second knockout of UFC veteran Jason Day just three months later.

"OSP" went to work in Strikeforce, scoring an impressive three wins in three months, all decisions over Antwain Britt, Benji Radach and Abongo Humphry where he showcased his superior wrestling, grappling and ground and pound skills to overwhelm his opposition.
    After taking six months off, St. Preux returned this past July and destroyed Rufousport fighter Joe Cason in just over a minute to remain undefeated in five Strikeforce bouts. With that victory, the Strikeforce big wigs decided it was time to throw him to the sharks at 205 pounds and St. Preux accepted a bout with the former champion.

How he gets it done
    : First and most importantly, St. Preux needs to stand with Mousasi as little as possible. I don't care how much he feels his striking has progressed. Standing and trading with the K-1 level striker is a really, really bad idea.

I think Ovince St. Preux would benefit greatly from a Rick Story-esque gameplan of constant pressure. He can't let Mousasi get comfortable so if he stands with him, he needs to be moving forward aggressively and cutting off escape routes, looking to pin him against the fence, throw short flurries of strikes while actually looking for takedown opportunities.

I doubt he could trade submission attempts with Mousasi, but OSP has a very solid ground game and he's a terrific athlete so if he can put the former champ on his back, he has a great shot at implementing the gameplan that "King Mo" used to win the belt and an overmatched Keith Jardine used to earn a draw. His top control has to be tight, however, as Mousasi has improved lately with his ability to get up from takedowns.

Fight X-Factor
    : The biggest X-Factor is the huge jump in competition for Ovince St. Preux. He's spent the majority of his time facing off against tough prospects, but this is the real deal. Gegard Mousasi is one of the best light heavyweights in the world and it will present a whole new breadth of challenges to OSP. We're going to find out exactly what he's made of in this bout, but he's still a very raw fighter. If he hasn't shored up his technique in the five months since his last fight, he could get overwhelmed quickly.

Bottom Line
    : Whether he's ready or not, Ovince St. Preux is strong and athletic enough to potentially cause some problems for Mousasi. Despite the huge experience differential, this is still a very compelling match-up. Mousasi has potential to destroy OSP standing, but St. Preux also has potential to control "The Dreamcatcher" on the canvas. There are definitely some possibilities for this fight to be exciting wherever it goes so stay tuned. This one could b ea blowout or a thriller depending on St. Preux's readiness for a jump in competition level.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I remember a time when people were ready to call Gegard a potential top LHW P4P fighter.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Forrest Griffin wouldn't mind a third fight against Tito Ortiz ... as long as it happ

Forrest Griffin wouldn't mind a third fight against Tito Ortiz ... as long as it happens in the United States

On April 9, 2005, Forrest Griffin, along with Stephan Bonner, took part in what UFC President Dana White calls the most important fight in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) history, as the two went toe-to-toe for 15 minutes in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 1 Finale.

After the back-and-forth brawl that had fans in attendance standing in awe of what they were seeing and the millions of fans watching on television hoping the fight would never end, Griffin was awarded the unanimous decision victory. He became the first ever TUF winner, which earned him a six-figure UFC contract.

The fight has often been credited as being the launch pad for the UFC's popularity.

During his time with the promotion, Griffin has competed against some of the best light heavyweights in the world, including Mauricio Rua, Tito Ortiz, Rich Franklin, Rashad Evans and Quinton Jackson, the last of whom he defeated in 2008 to claim the 205-pound title.
    Forrest also stepped up and took on arguably the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world, Anderson Silva, at UFC 101, but fell victim to "The Spider's" precise and powerful striking in the very first round, causing Griffin to storm out of the Octagon in embarrassment .

13 fights into his UFC career, the original Ultimate Fighter says he could very well be at the end of the road. Speaking with MMA Fight Corner, Forrest says that before he hangs up his gloves for good, he only wants tough fights. Oh, and wouldn't mind a third fight with Ortiz, who recently stated he wants his last fight to be against Griffin.

"If people will pay to see that fight, then I'll get paid to fight that fight. I care more about where I fight, if that fight happens in the United States, the continental United States, I'm down. I don't travel well. For me, now I'm realizing that I don't have much left, you know, this is the end of the road for me. I want a couple more fight fights, you know, good ones. That's all I really want. I think it would (be a good fight) but do people want to see it, you know? (I want) fights where I don't get knocked out in the first round, fights where I get hurt and bleed a little and get like a little rally, something of the nature."
    Ortiz and Griffin have met twice before, with Tito winning their first encounter at UFC 59 via split decision in 2006, a fight many believed should have gone to Griffin. No worries though, Forrest would eventually get his revenge three years later at UFC 106, doing enough to outpoint "The People's Champ" to earn a split decision victory.

Now, the two former champions want one finale battle to complete the trilogy and settle the score once and for all.
    Both Griffin and Ortiz are coming off losses to Mauricio Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, respectively, so matching them up together somewhat makes sense.

With both fighters willing to step up to the plate, it's now up to the powers that be at Zuffa to make the fight happen. The big question, though, is whether or not fight fans have enough interest in seeing it.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC on FOX 2: Mark Munoz will save Chael Sonnen from Brazilian bounties by beating hi

UFC on FOX 2: Mark Munoz will save Chael Sonnen from Brazilian bounties by beating him up in Chicago

I believe this is referred to as "picking your poison."

Chael Sonnen
    doesn't need to fly to South America to get his ass handed to him by a Brazilian mob when he can simply show up for his UFC on FOX 2 co-main event on Jan. 28 in Chicago and get his butt kicked by Mark Munoz.

That's according to the "Filipino Wrecking Machine," who told Heavy MMA that he's confident heading into their "Windy City" match-up and that he'll demonstrate his power at the expense of Sonnen's title aspirations.
    "I feel Chael and I are a great match-up. I feel his strengths are my strengths, and we are going to go out there and find out who is the true number one contender for the title. If he beats me then God bless him, but I can tell you that I have confidence that I’m going to go out there and beat him up. I have power in my hands. Chael gets on top of people but doesn’t finish them. I finish guys. It’s what I do. I go out there and the guns are blazing. On the feet or on the ground it doesn’t matter. I’m going to demonstrate that power every chance I get. There are bounties for Chael down in Brazil. But he doesn’t have to worry about it, because he’s not going to have to go down there."
    Munoz is coming off the biggest win of his career in the main event of UFC 138 last month across the pond, a second round technical knockout victory over Chris Leben, his fourth in a row and seventh in his last eight fights.

Sonnen recently ran through Brian Stann at UFC 136 back on Oct. 8 in Houston, which prompted UFC President Dana White to declare he would be "stupid" not to make "Silva vs. Sonnen II," but a pesky shoulder injury is keeping "The Spider" on the shelf until June, when the world's largest fight promotion heads back to Brazil (again).

If Sonnen can get by Munoz and make a good impression on network TV, he'll be joining his arch nemesis in his home country.
    Assuming he can get past those mobs.

UFC on FOX 2, which will mark the promotion's second appearance on network television, will be headlined by a light heavyweight number one contender bout, as Rashad Evans and Phil Davis return from injuries to battle for the right to fight division champion Jon Jones.
    NSCA - CSCS
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez is sick of talking, ready for some walking

Name:  gilbert-melendez-7.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  75.2 KB

Sick of talking, and ready to do some walking.

That's the current mindset of Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez (19-2 MMA, 9-1 SF) as he nears his third title defense, which comes against Jorge Masvidal (22-6 MMA, 4-0 SF).

Usually, he doesn't mind doing media. But this fight has been different.

"It's just been repetitive – the same questions and the same topics," Melendez told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I feel like I'm just becoming this [expletive]-talker. I just need to fight now."

He only has to wait three more days for that. On Saturday, he and Masvidal headline "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal," which takes place at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego. The event's main card, including Melendez's fight, airs live on Showtime.

If you looked over the shoulders of reporters interviewing Melendez in the past 10 weeks, you'd see a lot of the same questions. Is he frustrated that he hasn't yet been called up to the UFC? Does he believe a win over Masvidal earns him a spot in the octagon? Can he beat Frankie Edgar? Is he the No. 1 lightweight?

And blah, blah, blah.

Fighters get used to this type of repetition when they slog through the media machine en route to a fight, but for Melendez, many questions he's been asked are hypotheticals that are completely out of his hands.

Yes, he would like to go to the UFC. Yes, he thinks he should cross over sooner rather than later. Yes, he thinks he can beat Edgar. What fighter in his or her right mind would think otherwise?

"I'm like, 'Hey listen, man, I've got to stop talking, and I've just got to go out there and prove it,'" Melendez said.

So it's been hard to track him down this week. He's not convinced there are many other questions he could answer that he hasn't already. He'll be there, of course, for his mandated open workout sessions and press conference, where he'll go for some more conversational deja vu. But Saturday night can't come soon enough.

Masvidal has alternately taken on the role of stopover and spoiler in the path of Melendez. The American Top Team fighter routed standout Billy Evangelista and onetime welterweight challenger K.J. Noons to get the title shot. But he's known more for crisp striking than the type of ground and pound Melendez doles out with ease, and that's the question mark hanging over the fight. If he can stay on his feet, things look competitive. Otherwise, it might be a blowout.

In advance of Saturday, Melendez has worked as always with brothers and UFC fighters Nick and Nate Diaz, whose unconventional boxing tests Melendez's ability to weather the storm on the way to a takedown. He won't be shy about trading punches with Masvidal, of course. But with the stakes of the fight already blown up in neon – lose the fight, bye-bye UFC dreams – he would be foolish not to do what he does best.

Predictably, Melendez will dodge questions about how he plans to defeat Masvidal. As he said, he just has to go out there and do what he does and leave the talking for later.

There will be plenty to talk about if he wins. After a spate of high-profile crossovers, UFC president Dana White recently announced that Strikeforce fighters will stay in Strikeforce. Whether Melendez is included in that group or, in fact, things do hinge on his performance on Saturday night is unknown. Regardless, he'll be bombarded once again with questions about a crossover, questions he's answered in some form in the 10 weeks before the fight.

Melendez is a professional, and he'll answer them all the same. But if reporters would ask more creative questions, or even more pedestrian ones, that would be great.

"I'm never mad at the questions," Melendez said. "It's not a bad thing. It doesn't really bother me that much. I'm not the interviewer. Whatever they want to ask me is just fine.

"You can ask me how my day is. I'll be alright with that."
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Chael looks thick as hell relative to everyone else in the picture and look at his forearms.
    Yeah wow does he ever, I'd love to see him compete at 205 vs jones
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Chael cuts a good amount of weight these days. I read that he was ~210 for the Stann fight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    Yeah wow does he ever, I'd love to see him compete at 205 vs jones
    I wouldn't. I don't see anyone having a chance against JBJ other then a few name HW's or Anderson Silva, but even with Andy, JBJ could wrestle Andy down and nullify Andy's superior striking.
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Chael cuts a good amount of weight these days. I read that he was ~210 for the Stann fight.
    I'm picking Chael to win against Munoz. I'm also predicting Fitch ultimatley claims the WW belt while GSP is out the picture.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I wouldn't. I don't see anyone having a chance against JBJ other then a few name HW's or Anderson Silva, but even with Andy, JBJ could wrestle Andy down and nullify Andy's superior striking.
    I want a super fight with JBJ and Sapp...maybe cuz I just watched that classic with Sapp and Nog lol
    but yeah, other than Anderson...only the heavyweights stand a chance. Unless Aldo has a sudden growth spurt. Not that he couldn't do a flying knee that high.

Also picking Chael. Munoz has come a long way in a short period. Hits hard, but Chael gonna grind him out.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

You wouldn't want to see Cro Cop at 205! I think that would be wicked.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

You wouldn't want to see Cro Cop at 205! I think that would be wicked.
    In strikeforce I would for sure, but ufc 205ers would eat him alive.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    hmm idk, I think a rampage vs cro cop at 205 could be good.

19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I don't want to see CC fight anymore. He's a shadow of a shell of his former self. Watching his deterioration has been painful enough for me and I can't bear it anymore.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I feel the same watching Fedor and Wandy losing, it sucks.....not sure if your a Fedor fan, but I would still like to see him fight in the UFC..

21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I'm sort of with Jesse here. It's no secret I have man-love for Mirco, but I don't see him fairing well against any big name 205'er. Not even a particulalry elite 205'er, just anyone with a name. As long as said 205'er can wrestle, I think Mirco "of today" loses. His sprawl & brawl is simply subpar for the level of anyone who trains in wrestling even in a little bit in this day & age.
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

hmm idk, I think a rampage vs cro cop at 205 could be good.
    There was a time where the idea of Rampage being competitive with Mirco at any weight division would have been laughable to me, but now, the joke is the other way around, imo. Rampage takes Mirco handedly. They'd both catch each other here & there given their styles, except Rampage's chin compared to Mirco's in this day & age are too far apart in favor of Rampage. I think that'd be an eventual KO for Mirco.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I don't want to see CC fight anymore. He's a shadow of a shell of his former self. Watching his deterioration has been painful enough for me and I can't bear it anymore.
    I hear that.

I feel the same watching Fedor and Wandy losing, it sucks.....not sure if your a Fedor fan, but I would still like to see him fight in the UFC..
    Vitor vs Wandy isn't going to fair well for Wandy in my opinion. It'll be a brawl or a signature Vitor flurry into a Wandy TKO, but either way, I see Wandy ending up in a TKO.

If I could manipulate time, I'd set up 2006 Fedor vs current day JBJ at HW or 2006 Fedor vs Anderson Silva at LHW. I personally don't like JBJ and his meteoric rise urks me as an anti-fan, but I can't deny what he's done and doing to the 205 elites.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Dean Lister Talks ADCC 2011 and Possible Return to MMA

There is a short list of North Americans that have achieved great things in the grappling world and crossed over into mixed martial arts. Dean Lister is one of the best, as he won multiple Abu Dhabi Combat Club submission grappling titles and went 4-2 in the UFC over a two year run. In a recent interview with Kid Peligro, Lister opened up about his run to the ADCC 2011 -99 kg gold medal and a potential return to MMA.
    Lister is famous for his half-guard game and nasty footlocks, yet has a surprisingly well-rounded game that comes from years and years of wrestling, sambo and Brazilian jiu jitsu all fused into a seemingly emotionless wrecking machine. All those skills made him a wunderkind in submission grappling and has led to many, many titles and medals. An Absolute title in ADCC 2003 put him on the map and he continued to pile up no-gi titles regularly, while building a mixed martial arts career as well.

However, Lister did not achieve the same levels of success within MMA and may have dropped out of the minds of most fans after his lackluster loss to Yushin Okami at UFC 92 in 2008. He was released upon request from the Zuffa promotion and chose to focus on submission grappling, his academy out in San Diego and seminars. That narrowed focus turned into a surprising September march to the -99 kg title at ADCC 2011 in Nottingham.

Hit the jump to see some quotes and a glimpse into why the match between BJJ phenomenon Rodolfo Vieira and Lister was a bit anti-climatic and why Lister chose not to do the Absolute, which was won by Andre Galvao, the double gold winner.
    (For those of you going "Kid Peligro, that's kind of an awesome name," know that it's the nom de plume of Gerry Costa, a prolific grappling writer and black belt under Royler Gracie.)

Again, the full intervew with Kid Peligro is here.
    The part relevant to MMA is as follows:
    Kid Peligro - What are your plans for the near future?
    Dean Lister - I am about ready to finish celebrating, but I'm not going to Disneyland lol. I will have to focus on some recovery for old injuries and I will stay busy doing seminars. I soon will return to MMA because my striking has FINALLY picked up and I believe I have found my way, my style and I want to show everyone my new skills. However, I will not be used by the system or anyone else. I will find the right opportunity and make myself and my team proud.
    Now, sometimes MMA pundits get the idea of "Just stick 'im in Bellator/MFC/Jungle Fights and we'll see if he's ready for the big show," a bit too often. However, Lister is likely the best grappler not named Ronaldo Souza or Demian Maia at 185 lbs. His footlocks are nearly on a level with those of Rousimar Palhares. If Lister really has built up some striking and can avoid the "pull half-guard ineffectively" gameplan he stuck to against Okami and Thales Leites, this could be something.

Or maybe I'm just an eternally hopeful fool who wants to see more strong grapplers with decent striking added to the rising crop at 185.

Next up, the big part of the interview where the ADCC 2003 Absolute champion and 2005 Superfight champion talks about the Rodolfo Vieira battle that so many looked forwards to:
    KP: You told me that you were hurt, but you were going to go for it. What was your injury? And how did you overcome it?
    DL: It is ironic that I injured myself EXACTLY the same way that I injured Viera... I'll explain... When I heel hooked Viera on Sunday, he attempted to twist out of my attack and pulled a rib/muscle in the ribs. Haha - that is exactly, EXACTLY the same way that I hurt myself on Saturday twisting out of a heel hook aplied by Radek Turek (European Champion from Poland, very tough guy as well). I pulled a muscle in my rib and I knew it immediately right away. After I returned the favor to Radek and won by heelhook, I knew I had an injury because during the match my rib popped out and back in. I couldn't move and was difficult to breathe so I spent the superfight watching lying down on the ground in agony. I even waited for most of the people to leave the stadium before I got up and walked slowly back to the hotel, hoping no one had noticed how I was walking. I could hardly sleep cause of my rib, but in a strange way, this kind of adversity seems to focus me more than normal. The next day after icing it a lot, I had to warm it up slowly and I managed to fight and win against the best. This is the reason I didn't compete in the absolute division. But only this year.
    What say you? Does Lister have a chance of making himself relevant again in the North American MMA scene? He did go 4-2 in the UFC before voluntarily dropping out...

As a bonus, Dean wrecking Nate Marquardt in the early rounds of the 2003 ADCC.

NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Brock Lesnar says Alistair Overeem is coming into HIS house at UFC 141

In a little over two weeks, one of the biggest heavyweight battles in MMA – literally – will take place when Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem collide in the main event of UFC 141.
    The show is set for Friday, December 30 rather than on Saturday due to New Year’s Eve and will emanate from Las Vegas. Adding even more intrigue to the headliner, the winner will earn a title shot against UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos in 2012 after the affable Brazilian recovers from knee surgery.

“This is my home. The UFC is Brock Lesnar. I don’t care how many fights he’s had or where his career has been. This is my time. This is my house,” explained a motivated Lesnar in a recently released extended preview for the event.

Along with Lesnar-Overeem, fearless lightweights Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone will meet in the co-main event.

Watch all four fighters talk about their upcoming match-ups in the UFC 141 Preview below:

NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

How do you guys feel about Cerrone vs Nate Diaz? Who you got?
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated Following Grand Prix Finals and 'On

Strikeforce Heavyweight Division to be Eliminated Following Grand Prix Finals and 'One More Fight'

Moments ago on the Strikeforce media call to announce the new Showtime deal, it was announced that Strikeforce will be doing away with the heavyweight division in the near future. The way that the set-up is sounds as though Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier will meet in the Strikeforce Grand Prix finals and the winner will fight one more time against a (as it was put) "top heavyweight contender." After that fight, the heavyweight division will be eliminated in the promotion with fighters presumably moving to the UFC based on the promotion's desire.
    UFC president Dana White said on the call that the division just is not deep enough to have it in both promotions and they will instead focus on the other classes and women's MMA.

When asked if any other division would get cut the answer was an absolute "no." They also clarified that they would continue to operate 135 and 145 for the women, even if they do attempt to get some of the bigger name fighters together for big fights as Dana once again brought up depth issues.

We'll have much more news on Strikeforce today as details continue to emerge.
    NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Wow. With the merging of all the SF HW's into UFC's HW division, the UFC HW division will be a pretty exciting division.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Awesome fight, but I think Cerrone will finish Nate, Cerrone has been looking amazing.

30. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I'll take Cerrone. He's been a major tear and has improved dramatically. That being said, Bendo winning the LW championship would be the worst thing that could happen for him.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I'll take Cerrone. He's been a major tear and has improved dramatically. That being said, Bendo winning the LW championship would be the worst thing that could happen for him.
    Lol, no kidding. Bendo seems to be his kryptonite and as much as I believe Cerrone has already improved from his WEC days to today, Bendo has also shown an improvement of his game as well. That being said, I think I'd still be excited to see a Cerrone vs Bendo III (or IV?) in the UFC Octagon.
    NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Awesome fight, but I think Cerrone will finish Nate, Cerrone has been looking amazing.
    I'm really looking forward to that fight. Cerrone has looked beastly recently and his striking arsenal is more complete then Nates. Nate's accuracy looked great against Gomi in their last fight, but wasn't it just a fight before Gomi where Nate got suplexed three times by some fighter? I think Cerrone has the stand up advantage and I know Cerrone has a great ground game to, but I don't know who's ground is superior. I love that fight though and I love this division in general.
    NSCA - CSCS
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I'm really looking forward to that fight. Cerrone has looked beastly recently and his striking arsenal is more complete then Nates. Nate's accuracy looked great against Gomi in their last fight, but wasn't it just a fight before Gomi where Nate got suplexed three times by some fighter? I think Cerrone has the stand up advantage and I know Cerrone has a great ground game to, but I don't know who's ground is superior. I love that fight though and I love this division in general.
    I think it was Rory Macdonald.......I think

Cerrone vs benson would be wicked, imagine that 2 WEC fighters fighting for the UFC belt! That would be pretty wicked!

34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I think it was Rory Macdonald.......I think

Cerrone vs benson would be wicked, imagine that 2 WEC fighters fighting for the UFC belt! That would be pretty wicked!
    Oh okay, I guess it's not so bad to be powned by Rory. He's a highly reputed up & comer, but still. How many fights away do you think Cerrone or Nate is from title contention?
    NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Oh okay, I guess it's not so bad to be powned by Rory. He's a highly reputed up & comer, but still. How many fights away do you think Cerrone or Nate is from title contention?
    Yeah I think Cerrone is a lot more closer, just the way he has been performing, but if Nate starts looking wicked like he did his last fight then who knows.

36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah I think Cerrone is a lot more closer, just the way he has been performing, but if Nate starts looking wicked like he did his last fight then who knows.
    I don't know who I want to win. I like both Cerrone and Nate, but I think Cerrone is the superior and more complete MMA'ist at this point. I think whomever I start to percieve as the clear underdog here is who I'll end up rooting for and so far it's looking like I'm rooting for Nate.

Also, this MMA unrelated video, but worth the watch. I'm going to say this kid practices Trapping Hands Kung Fu on the weekends to justify posting this video here. You'll see why...

NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

This is a sick fight. Not really in the stand up or the ground. Just 2 guys who will likely feed off each others attitude (which should be in abundance). I think Donald takes it since Nate isn't as good as his brother in the stand up. Nick vs Donald would be fcking sick...but this one will be a lot of hype and a bloody Nate unless he finds a way to sub the cowboy. Though cowboy is pretty good on the ground too. Either way I like watching both guys.

Old note on Crocop....K1 might not even be the answer even though its all stand up...there are beasts in K1 just like in UFC.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Cerrone could put himself there if he finishes Nate. He would be a hell of a lot closer if he hadn't said a while back "I'm not looking for a title shot just yet" or something to that effect. He fought some newbies and then recently some solid guys following his fight with Benson. So he just needs to say he wants higher comp. I'd say 1 more top 5er after this though.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I don't know who I want to win. I like both Cerrone and Nate, but I think Cerrone is the superior and more complete MMA'ist at this point. I think whomever I start to percieve as the clear underdog here is who I'll end up rooting for and so far it's looking like I'm rooting for Nate.

Also, this MMA unrelated video, but worth the watch. I'm going to say this kid practices Trapping Hands Kung Fu on the weekends to justify posting this video here. You'll see why...

wow that would be a good first date impression lol

40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Old note on Crocop....K1 might not even be the answer even though its all stand up...there are beasts in K1 just like in UFC.
    I hear that. I'm not sure how he'll compete with today's full contact athletes in general, but even if K1 is a bad idea, it's a better idea then another fight in the UFC. I'll certainly root for him in a K1 match, but I'm not expecting much, his kicks in general have looked suspect for awhile now.
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM