Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 25 of 111 First ... 20232425262730 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Nick Diaz challenging suspension

LAS VEGAS -- Per a response filed to the Nevada State Athletic Commission on March 7, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz is challenging the commission's complaint for disciplinary action that he tested positive for a prohibited substance following a Feb. 4 contest in Las Vegas.

Following a unanimous decision loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143, the NSAC reported Diaz submitted a urine test that tested positive for "marijuana metabolites." The commission voted later that month to temporarily suspend Diaz's fighters license.

That suspension is unwarranted, according to Diaz's attorney, Ross Goodman, who states that "marijuana metabolites" are not a prohibited substance according to the list used by the NSAC, which is adopted from the World Anti-Doping Agency.

"Marijuana is the only substance that is prohibited; not marijuana metabolites," Goodman told ESPN.com.

"The basis to discipline Mr. Diaz is that he tested positive for a prohibited substance. We know he didn't test positive for marijuana. So, you look to see at WADA whether marijuana metabolites are prohibited. They do not prohibit it in any category."

In a sworn affidavit submitted with the response, Diaz stated he has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder for which he was prescribed medical marijuana by his physician, Robert E. Sullivan. Medical marijuana is legal in both Nevada and California, where Diaz resides.

Diaz and his camp have said the fighter suspends his use of marijuana eight days prior to a contest. Under the statues set forth by the NSAC, athletes are not punished for using marijuana out-of-competition.

According to Goodman, the substance Diaz tested positive for was THC-Carboxylic Acid, an inactive marijuana metabolite. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer was unavailable to comment on that claim Monday.

The response filed to the commission, therefore, challenges that Diaz merely tested positive for an inactive metabolite, which is not listed as a prohibited substance.

"You have to test positive for marijuana, as opposed to this inactive ingredient Nick did," Goodman said.

"If there's nothing in the rules prohibiting marijuana metabolites, why are we here?"

Athletes are provided the option to submit an application to the NSAC requesting therapeutic exemptions for different substances.

Goodman says Diaz did not take that measure because he discontinues use eight days before a contest -- long enough for the effects of the active compound in marijuana, THC, to wear off.

The filed document also points to the "long detection window" of marijuana in one's system as a potential reason why WADA does not include metabolites on its banned substance list.

Diaz's legal team argues that since marijuana is not prohibited to athletes out-of-competition per commission standards, it would be unreasonable for its banned substance list to contain marijuana metabolites.

"Why punish Nick, or anybody else for that matter, for a metabolite?" Goodman said. "We're not talking about a cocaine metabolite. We're not talking about something illegal. We're talking about a metabolite that stays in your system for weeks or months."

The UFC had planned to set up an immediate rematch between Diaz and Condit, prior to the NSAC's findings. When hearing the news, UFC president Dana White said he was "beyond disappointed."

Diaz faces a potential one-year suspension for the positive test. In 2007, he tested positive for marijuana following a submission victory over Takanori Gomi in Las Vegas, resulting in a six-month suspension and the result changed to a no-contest.

A formal hearing to sentence Diaz was expected to take place in April; however, Goodman told ESPN.com that date might be delayed due to Monday's filing.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quinton Jackson: “I think Joe Silva needs to be slapped in the face…”

Disgruntled UFC lightheavyweight Quinton Jackson finally addressed his anger at his employers in more detail than 140 characters per post on Twitter allows for, calling Inside MMA’s Bas Rutten to conduct a twenty minute interview where discussion ranged from his use of testosterone to his fight against Ryan Bader in Japan to, of course, his desire to depart the UFC as soon as possible.

According to Jackson, who said he is actively trying to get out of the remaining fight he’s contracted for, the issue he has with the UFC is partially based on money but more about respect. Tired of facing wrestlers, longing to instead take on opponents more inclined to put on entertaining fights, Jackson is apparently more than willing to take a hefty cut in pay so long as he feels appreciated.“I think (matchmaker) Joe Silva needs to be slapped in the face, I’m sorry, but if you’ve got a fighter like me who likes to go out and put on exciting fights why are you gonna keep giving me wrestlers who are gonna take me down and hump me,” “Rampage” asked rhetorically. “I’m sorry. I’m just really
    tired of the UFC and their tactics.”

“After my fight with Jon Jones they told my manager that I was losing my appeal – that rappers don’t come and watch me fight no more, that the fans really don’t like me no more. Cause it was getting close to time for me to renegotiate and PRIDE did the same thing to me,” Jackson continued. “To me my respect is more than money so I’ll go fight for some other show for free and I’ll prove it to fans that I’m not all about
    money.”

While there’s no question any MMA promotion would love to have Jackson sign for such a minimal amount, the former champion said he
    has one requirement when it comes to inking a deal.

“I’m gonna go to an organization that gives me a little clout…anywhere, as long as I’ve got a little clout and I can control it a little bit and the guys appreciate me for putting on a good show. Just say thank you at the end of the show. I don’t care if I make $500 again,” the 33-year old stated. However, within minutes of his apparent attitude of altruism Jackson also mentioned he felt as though he should be making 4X his current salary as a headliner/co-headliner in the UFC.Listen to the full interview below where either rage will be fueled or sympathy created (probably the former):

NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Barnett on UFC, Dana White and Praying Mantis Kung Fu

NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Anderson Silva And Dana White Battle Over Idea Of Teammates Fighting Each Other

The subject of teammates not fighting each other has been a long standing source of debate among the MMA community. It also is a major annoyance to UFC president Dana White. White would like to not be hamstrung in making potentially huge fights just because guys train together, but many fighters honor that agreement to the end.

The subject came up with middleweight champion Anderson Silva and he had this to say to SporTV (translation via Orcus):

(Dana saying that teammates should fight each other), It's funny to say that, right? If that was the case, I would like to ask him if he'd like to split the UFC with Lorenzo, each would have their own show fighting for audience and sponsorship and everything else that involves their business. They're friends, partners... What I think is that friends shouldn't fight. Dana doesn't fight. He sells well the fight, he's a good promoter, but he isn't a fighter. I have nothing against Dana, I admire him, but he doesn't know what this is, and he can't say that two friends should fight. We spend more time together than with our own families. We share the pains, the frustrations, and just because he wants to sell a fight that he thinks it would be cool and that the public would like to see two companions fighting. He wants to match a fight with two friends? That's impossible, it only happens with people who aren't real friends. We have a philosophy in our team that, regardless of two being from the same weight class and the same objective of being UFC Champions, we know that this won't happen. MMA is not a collective sport. It's not normal for me to fight a guy that I live with everyday. It's natural to him, because he doesn't fight and hasn't even got pinched once.

Follow after the jump for Dana's response...

Dana did respond to Silva's statement, including the idea that he and Lorenzo wouldn't fight:

This isn't baseball or football. They aren't a team. They train together, go out together, but they aren't a team that plays together. I'd like for Anderson to tell me if I'm wrong: he has the belt, the fame, the money, and it is because of that, that there are many guys who'd like to be Anderson Silva, especially those inside his gym and are friends of his. Many friends of his would love to have that belt and they should fight for it. If they have to fight, it doesn't mean that they don't like each other, that they can't be friends. It's business, it's what they do for a living.

If this was something I and Lorenzo would have to fight, we would. If Lorenzo has the title and I'd have to fight him, it's what would happen. It's not personal, it's only to see who's best. Imagine two famous teams in Brazil, such as Flamengo and Corinthians. Imagine if they would refuse to play against each other because they're friends, because they like each other. "We don't want to play you, we'd hurt your feelings." Oh Anderson, come on...

Vitor used to train with him. Did you see what he did to his friend? I guarantee you that the guys that are his friends want to be like him. Your friends want your belt, and they won't pay your bills when you're done fighting, Anderson.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Miesha Tate seeking rematch with Ronda Rousey

Former Strikeforce bantamweight champ Miesha Tate is still recovering from the Armbar she suffered against Ronda Rousey costing her the title.
    However, as convincing as Rousey’s finish was, “Takedown” Tate believes she deserves a rematch when he gets back to full health. The 25-year old also feels like she was winning the bout with Rousey before becoming yet another victim of the talented judoka’s submission attack. When the two squared off earlier this month the opening minute saw Rousey nearly lock in an Armbar, but Tate fought out of it and took the former Olympian’s back shortly thereafter.

“I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch,” said Tate in an interview MMAFighting. “I think for the most part I was probably winning (the fight). I think at a competitive level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day, the other person would beat the other person.”

Tate reminded fans she did not suffer a broken arm but ligament damage and possible surgery appear to be in her future. As such, she will likely ber out long enough to give Sarah Kaufman the next shot at Rousey before discussion of an actual second shot will be fielded by her bosses at Strikeforce.

As far as why Tate didn’t tap out right away, possibly saving an extended recovery period by doing so, the 12-3 Tate explained, “I felt my arm go in, and I was like, ‘You know, I don’t want to tap.’ And I didn’t.” Still, her toughness was quickly tested, as she elaborated, “So I felt my hand touch the back of her thigh and I knew everything was really bad. I just didn’t know at that point. I didn’t feel there was a way out of it. I had no idea how much longer there was on the clock and it just felt like things were getting worse and worse. And I was like, ‘I just don’t know how much of this my arm can take.’ I think that’s when common sense started to settle in, rather than pure stubbornness.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Ronda Rousey Responds To Miesha Tate's Comments: 'It Just Kind Of Makes Her Sound Dum

More than a week after their electrifying fight, Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey are still engaged in a battle of sorts. A war of words, if you will. Tate was recently featured on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani, and made bold statements about Rousey's skill level, as well as issuing a bid for a rematch, saying she felt she could best the newly crowned women's champion if given another opportunity. While Ronda has been a scarce commodity on the social networking sites and MMA media, she took the time out from her vacation to grant me a short interview to respond to Miesha's comments.

SD:
    Miesha stated that she felt she was winning until you caught her with the second armbar. What's your take on this?

RR:
    I don't think there's any way she could argue that she was winning that fight at all. If you just look at the striking stats, I landed 43 strikes and she landed 11. If you look at the actual damage, she was bruised up on her leg and her face, not to mention her arm. The only point in the fight where she could say she was being the least bit dominant, is the part where she had my back, but she definitely landed fewer strikes from the back, and had zero submission attempts. The one time she tried to do something, she lost her position immediately. That wasn't a dominant position for her, that was pretty much her holding on for dear life. Every single takedown was me, I had the majority of the strikes, and I got the win. This all happened in four minutes, and if she assumes that the few seconds that she had my back, that she was the winner...well she wasn't doing anything productive there anyway, except prolonging the inevitable.

SD:
    Miesha said during her interview that you didn't really prove much during your fight. How do you feel about that statement?

RR:
    It just kind of makes her sound dumb. Everyone knows that I wanted to armbar her, and there was nothing she could do to stop me, even with months of preparation. I think that proves a lot. It's like she's not even looking at the actual situation. I don't know what match she was watching, to really think that. One of those pieces of advice that my mom tells me all the time is, 'Never listen to your own press.' The second I got out of that cage, my coach was already telling me a million things I did wrong. It just seems tome like she must be surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" all the time, saying stuff like, 'Oh yeah, you were winning. You were totally dominating.' If I was her, I would look at that match, look at what I did wrong, and try to fix it next time, and not be like 'I was totally winning before I lost.'

SD:
    Miesha says that the only thing you're really good at is the armbar, and that she feels she excels in all other areas over you. Are there any areas you felt she was dominant in during your fight?

RR:
    Then why did she get taken down three times? I had more takedowns than her. I had more submission attempts. I had more landed strikes. Even if you just look at it on paper, I had more dominant positions, more strikes...I beat her in every single category. Anyone watching the fight wouldn't have thought that she was winning at any point. I don't know what fight she was watching, but it might be a different one than the one I'm looking at.

SD:
    Miesha is picking you to beat Kaufman because she feels her style plays right into your strengths. Would you agree with that statement?

RR:
    Yes and no. It's another grappler vs. striker match. Miesha is not as good as I am in grappling, and striking is not really her forte either, even though that was really the only way for her to try to win, and that didn't work out for her. Sarah also doesn't have as good grappling as me, but she has way better striking than Miesha. It could be that she's much stronger in my weaker area than Miesha ever was. I don't know. We'll see. It's hard to say until you're there.

SD:
    Would you say that Sarah presents a tougher challenge than Miesha did?

RR:
    Yeah. No one is ever easy until after you beat them. I already beat Miesha so I can say 'OK, that was easy, but this next chick is going to be really tough' because I haven't fought her yet. I feel that Miesha would probably be the easier one for me, because I know that my grappling was better than hers. I didn't feel that I was in danger of being submitted or knocked out. Sarah doesn't pose any submission threat towards me, but she is more of a standing threat than Miesha ever was. I feel that she is a more dangerous fight for me than Miesha was.

SD:
    Miesha has stated that she would like a rematch with you. Would you be interested in Rousey vs. Tate, Part II?

RR:
    If she wants Rousey/Tate II, I'll be happy to oblige her.

SD:
    What have you been doing with your time since the fight?

RR:
    I've been pretty much living in a cave. I've been hanging out with a lot of my friends that I haven't seen in a long time, and just sitting on couches, watching TV, and catching up. I've also been hanging around a lot with my family and my new niece. Just visiting with the people that are really close to me that I haven't been able to spend that much time with. I'll probably rejoin society on Wednesday when I fly back to LA.

SD:
    Are you overwhelmed by the response from the male faction of your fans due to your newly single dating status?

RR:
    I'm off the market for a while. For the last three years, I was single for like two months. I kind of need to have time to just hang out with my dog. [laughs]
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Gilbert Melendez returning in May, camp wants B.J. Penn or Anthony Pettis

Cesar Gracie knows a lot about MMA, apparently including when Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez will fight next. One of Melendez’s core coaches, Gracie revealed the date of the 29-year old’s next fight.
    “Gil is fighting May 19,” the BJJ wizard wrote on Twitter, adding two names he’s crossing his fingers for though neither actually happens to be signed to the organization’s roster. “I hope (B.J.) Penn or (Anthony) Pettis.”

The date lines up with the final of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix between Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier, rumored for San Jose, with Nate Marquardt also expected to debut at the summer event.
    UFC President Dana White has been stated repeatedly the 20-2 Melendez was not likely to join the UFC anytime soon. As such, Melendez may be hoping for a big name like Penn or even Pettis to help raise his stock in the division. Penn, a former double-divisional champion, has stuck to his retirement since losing to Nick Diaz last October while Pettis has become the odd man out at 155 in the UFC with champion Benson Henderon taking on Frankie Edgar in a rematch and Nate Diaz-Jim Miller fighting for top contendership in May.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Georges St. Pierre 'Road to Recovery' video (Episode 2)

NSCA - CSCS
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I wonder what crawled up Rampage's ass? He comes in over weight and out of shape and he expects the UFC brass to be appreciative? It sounds like he might be on the verge of another Rampage bender again.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I wonder what crawled up Rampage's ass? He comes in over weight and out of shape and he expects the UFC brass to be appreciative? It sounds like he might be on the verge of another Rampage bender again.
    He's a bit bi-polar in his philosphical approach to it all too. Either it's, "it's all about the money, they don't pay me enough..." or it's, "it's not about the money at all, I'll fight for free (elsewhere)."

Rampage was one of my all time favorite fighters and to this day, I still root for him, but these latest rants aren't doing him any favors in the fans department. Nothing annoys me more then someone with a delusionally aggressive sense of self entitlement. Rampage "was" a top draw, he "was" an incredible fighter, he "was" a KO artist, he "was" all the things he still thinks he is, is the problem.

It's sad when someone on the decline as hard as Rampage is goes Diva-mode like this, particularly, following such a pathetic showing recently. It's undefensible as a fan. I think there are only a small handful of fighters where their name "may" supercede the UFC organization, like Anderson Silva, GSP, JBJ, but anyone else, if you leave the UFC, the majority of your fans aren't following, especially if you're so far past your prime. If or when Rampage leaves, that's it for him, imo.
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Rampage vs Fedor? lol
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Dana White: Rampage Jackson's Last UFC Fight Will Be Against Shogun Rua

Mar 13, 2012 - Quinton "Rampage" Jackson wants out of the UFC. It looks like he'll get his wish, but not before fulfilling the last fight on his current deal.

According to a report on Tuesday's edition of FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight," Jackson and the UFC have agreed to part ways after Jackson faces Mauricio "Shogun" Rua later this year.

The 33-year-old Jackson (32-10) has previously said on Twitter that he was amenable to taking the last fight on his deal as long as he would be allowed to part ways with the UFC afterward.

If that is the end, it would mark the close of a rocky five-year relationship which began with Jackson's debut win over Marvin Eastman at UFC 67 in Feb. 2007. Just prior to that, Jackson had been fighting in the short-lived WFA, and UFC ownership group Zuffa LLC acquired the company. Later, UFC president Dana White would say that the only reason they bought the promotion was to acquire Jackson's contract.

Jackson went on to win the UFC light-heavyweight championship by beating Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 and defend it against Dan Henderson a few months later before dropping the belt to Forrest Griffin in July 2008.

The next fight would be the 12th in Jackson's UFC tenure, and he currently has a 7-4 record while fighting for the promotion, losing his last two.

No timetable was given for the matchup with Rua, which was reported by Ariel Helwani, but the bout should please Jackson, who has long wanted a rematch stemming from his April 2005 defeat at PRIDE Total Elimination 2005. That was the opening round match of the PRIDE middleweight Grand Prix that made Rua a star, and Rua won in style with a spectacular first-round TKO.

Jackson had a chance to take the rematch in 2011, but turned down the short-notice bout because he felt he didn't have enough time to get into shape and come in at optimal strength. Now, he'll have a chance to win in his last octagon appearance and avenge a bitter defeat at the same time.
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Anderson Silva Feels Like He Has 10 Years Left In MMA

By Dana Becker | March 14, 2012

Source: Globo SporTV

When reports of Anderson Silva's retirement come up, the UFC middleweight champion tends to avoid making it known what he actually feels like will be the end date for his career. However, in a recent interview with Globo SporTV, "The Spider" claims he has several years left in MMA.

"Everyone things that. I've imagined myself in a lake, fishing with my grandchildren and my wife calling me into the house...joke," Silva said. "Not thought of yet. I think I still have another 10-year career, but have not discussed my contract with the UFC. After this fight, I think there are still two or three, I'm not sure. They just call me and say they need 'The Spider.' And then I go."

Silva's next fight will be against Chael Sonnen in a rematch. The bout is likely to happen later this year in Brazil, which would give Silva a huge advantage in terms of crowd support.

Follow FightLine.com on Twitter by clicking the "Follow" button below:
    Follow @mmafightline
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC 147: Anderson Silva Says Chael Sonnen Shouldn’t Have Received A Rematch

Although Anderson Silva is already set to defend his title in a rematch against Chael Sonnen on UFC 147, the champion apparently still doesn't think that Sonnen deserved the rematch to begin with. He said as much in an interview with SporTV (translated by BloodyElbow.com's Orcus):

"(What does Chael Sonnen represent for my career?) Nothing! He’s possessed by a demon. That’s the truth. He’s an athlete that failed the drug test, I fought him while injured, and he had problems with the American Justice system. He respects nothing and he didn’t respect our country. What does he represent? Nothing.

"I respect the opinions and the positions of the promoters of the fight and the owners of the event, but in my opinion he shouldn’t get the chance to fight me again. But that’s not something that I can decide. I will get ready for the fight just as I would with any other."

"He disrespected our idols that made history in the world of sports, such as Lance Armstrong. This guy is complicated, he’s got personal issues. The attention that the Brazilian media gives him, the attention that Palmeiras gave him, it’s very bad. If any Brazilian would be in the position that he finds himself in, if they would talk about the US and he does about Brazil, and the American idols, we wouldn’t even have the same opportunities of going in their country or talking to the American media. I think that Brazilians should be more patriotic, like the Americans."

It's been two years since Chael started talking his way to the limelight, and from these statements from Silva, it appears that Sonnen has really gotten under his skin. It's an exciting stylistic match up either way, but as the smack talk intensifies, the lead up to the event will be more interesting, especially if we see Silva starting to take things more personally.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Demian Maia announces move to UFC's welterweight division

Following a January loss to top middleweight prospect Chris Weidman, Demian Maia is making a move to the UFC's welterweight division.

The Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace today announced his intentions via Twitter.

"Guys, now I'll be moving down to 170 pounds," Maia stated. "Next fight, I'll be a welterweight."

Maia made his octagon debut in October 2007 and promptly earned five-straight submission wins in the UFC, including four "Submission of the Night" bonuses. He's since gone just 4-4, including an infamous decision loss to middleweight champ Anderson Silva in April 2010.

All 13 of Maia's UFC appearances to date have come at middleweight.

In an interview with Brazilian website R7, Maia said in his native Portuguese that he has yet to make a test cut to 170 pounds, but he hopes to eliminate the size and strength advantage he currently yields to fellow 185-pound competitors.

Maia's first fight at 170 pounds has yet to be scheduled.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Where Would Hector Lombard Fit Into the UFC Middleweight Division?

It appears that Bellator's Middleweight Champion Hector Lombard is about to test the market as a free agent for the first time in over two years. This is an extremely exciting idea because across promotions the middleweight division is lacking a real depth of star power. A fighter of Lombard's caliber being added into the UFC's welterweight division would be fantastically exciting.

This forces us to ask a question: what caliber of fighter is he? The answer to that question is slippery. Let me be perfectly clear, Hector Lombard would make one heck of a UFC fighter. Lombard certainly has the skills, prestigious power in both hands and a strong grappling background. He was a member of Cuban's Olympic Judo team which, if you are a follower of the gentle way you know, is no small feat as Cuba is a powerhouses in International Judo. On top of that he is also a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by way of American Top Team. Throw in his aggressive demeanor and he is a very intimidating man to see across the cage.

The questions that surround Lombard simply stem from that we have never seen him succeed in MMA against top level competition. The only time we've seen Lombard against upper level opponents was in Pride in 2006 and those represent his two losses in MMA.

The first loss came to Akihiro Gono, who by Pride rules was a Middleweight but in modern weight-classes would be a welterweight. Gono survived the early onslaught from Lombard and then took the fight over as Lombard emptied his gas tank in ardent attempts to finish. His second loss to Gegard Mousasi, Lombard showed more restraint in the early moments of the fight but ended up simply getting out grappled by the Dutchman.

Now neither of these fights were crushing losses as Lombard acquitted himself well at times in both matches. And Lombard has corrected some the mental mistakes he made in those fights. For instance Lombard has adopted a much more controlled approach, today he sets up his power shots while still maintaining his aggression rather than charging in widely. Also in both fights he sacrificed position trying to force footlocks, and in both fights that decision cost him dearly. Clearly these issues were one of fighter young in MMA still learning how to fight to maximize his chances of winning.

But since the fall of the Pride there are questions that haven't been answered about Lombard. He still slows down in later rounds, and considering his frame and muscle mass he is likely never to become a cardiovascular machine. While this isn't a huge concern, it does compound his other problem. We have not idea what he looks like in an MMA context against an elite grappler.

How would Lombard respond to the grinding assault of a Yushin Okami, Mark Munoz or Chael Sonnen? In his entire career Lombard has not faced an elite wrestler and it seems the kind of style match that would give the Cuban fits. The hybrid attack of Chris Weidman also seems tailor made to drain Lombard's energy. While it seems clear Lombard could compete and win in the UFC, what isn't clear is if he is indeed a Top 10 Middleweight or will be able to challenge for a title in the UFC. Lombard is thirty-four and his prime is coming to an end, so if his goal is a UFC Middleweight Title he can't really afford a serious set back. I personally think a path to a title shot for Lombard would need to be very friendly and avoid wrestlers. And even if he gets a title shot, I don't think his striking will challenge Anderson Silva, who is more than equipped to handle a head hunter.

But that said, I welcome the chance of Lombard in the UFC and I am positively giddy at the prospect of possible match ups with Rousimar Palhares or Tim Boetsch. I just think we all need to temper our expectations of Lombard in the UFC.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Rampage Jackson Continues To Talk Testosterone Replacement

NSCA - CSCS
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Chael Sonnen Talks 'Crybaby' Rampage Jackson And Testosterone

Chael Sonnen
    co-hosted Spike TV's MMA Uncensored last night and, as Chael is wont to do, he did a lot of talking. The focus of much of his talk this time around was Quinton Jackson. Jackson has recently been in the news for taking testosterone replacement before his last fight and wild Twitter rants about wanting to be out of the UFC.

When Rampage's recent behavior came up, Sonnen had this to say (transcribed by MMAMania):

I like him. Look, he's a crybaby, but I find it entertaining. I like it when he goes on his campaigns about entitlement and how he should be given easy fights. I don't agree with any of it, but, you gotta understand, everybody's gonna stumble, at times, but to miss weight at a fight poorly, when you're paid what he's paid -- he's the second highest paid fighter in the industry now that Brock Lesnar is retired -- it kind of puts him in a different ballpark. A lot of things are expected of him and he's not quite delivering. But as far as retirement talk, the guy ought to be able to have a bad performance here and there. Randy Couture, the greatest of all time, had bad performances, but he always came back.

That wasn't all Sonnen had to say about the subject though.

Chael also wanted to make it clear that Rampage's use of TRT shouldn't be viewed negatively:

There's two things there. Hold on. If you're gonna associate the guy with TRT, make sure you also associate the fact that it's legal and it's not banned. Second thing with TRT is people are really getting confused. They look at TRT and they're missing the stuff that really is good. TRT is eight, nine or ten on the list of things they could take to help their careers. Secondly, any time a person says 'performance enhancer,' stop talking to them, because they don't have the intellect to debate with you.

"I wanna make this point. I would never take anything if I didn't think it would help my performance. That's what medicine is in 21st Century America. Imagine if you go to the doctor and say, 'Doc, I'm feeling great. You got anything that can bring me down a notch?' That's malpractice. It's all meant to help your performance."

Of course, I'd argue that there is a big difference between medicine keeping people healthy and "feeling good" and making an athlete unnaturally virile for his age.
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quinton Jackson out for undetermined period due to knee surgery

After two weeks of talking trash about the UFC, former light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson seemingly got his wish in the promise of a contractual release after his next fight with the added bonus of a chance to avenge his past loss to Mauricio Rua. However, two things “Rampage” failed to mention on Twitter during his online assault pertained to his problematic knees and the possibility of going under the knife to fix them.
    Jackson saved that nugget of information until Thursday where he again took to the social networking site, this time writing his bout with the Brazilian would have to wait while he got surgery on both of his knees. No specifics beyond that were offered in terms of the procedure or required period of recovery though “Rampage” did state one had been hurt against Jon Jones and the other in training.

“I heal fast (so) don’t trip,” said Jackson, assuring fans he planned to make his way back to the Octagon sooner than later. The circumstances certainly didn’t appear to bring the popular pugilist’s spirits down, as later in the evening he mentioned being “buzzed” and heading to a club in Los Angeles.

With no date set for Jackson-Rua II, nor knowledge of the 33-year old’s actual prognosis, it’s impossible to know exactly how the planned rematch will be affected. The two 205ers first fought in PRIDE with “Shogun” picking up a TKO win in the first five minutes of action.
    NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Lawyer: Nick Diaz Didn't Lie About Marijuana 'Prescription'

The saga continues. Earlier in the week, a lawyer representing Nick Diaz issued a formal challenge to the marijuana suspension handed down to Diaz by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. A NSAC representative immediately responded, branding Diaz a "liar" based on his answers on a UFC 143 pre-fight questionnaire. The main bone of contention was the 11th question, which asked if Diaz had "taken/received any prescribed medication in the last 2 weeks". Diaz answered no. This contradicted the lawyer's challenge, which stated that Nick had stopped his marijuana consumption eight days before the fight. There's one major sticking point to this though:

Did Nick Diaz actually have a prescription for marijuana from a California physician?

The lawyer, Ross Goodman, responded to the NSAC accusation in a conversation with MMA Junkie late last night, and said that Nick's medical marijuana card doesn't constitute a prescription. This apparently means Nick didn't lie on the form. Here's what he said:

"The way that you become a medical marijuana patient is ... that you have a doctor," Goodman said. "A doctor doesn't prescribe to you marijuana. A doctor recommends that that would be an approved use for whatever diagnosis somebody has. In [Diaz's] case, [attention deficit hyperactivity disorder]. So nowhere is there an actual prescription for marijuana. It would be illegal for any doctor to prescribe marijuana."

Diaz submitted an affidavit (Exhibit A) with the original challenge that stated the following:

"I have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ("ADHD"). My physician, Robert E. Sullivan, approved the use of marijuana to treat ADHD."

So, no one actually said that Nick was "prescribed" the marijuana by the doctor, right?. So far so good for that defense. Well, until you look a little closer and see the affidavit submitted in the original challenge by the doctor, John Hiatt, who is Goodman's medical expert in regards to the effects of marijuana. Point 11 of his statement says the following:

"If an individual has a valid medical prescription for marijuana in some form, then in view of all the uncertainties associated with interpreting the meaning of the presence of THC metabolite in urine, it is not reasonable to reach any conclusion in regard to a persons ability to compete in an athletic contest."

But he didn't have a valid prescription according to Goodman, so I guess that argument is out the window. In addition to that, Junkie points out another prescription reference made by Goodman in the challenge, and references Cesar Gracie's comments on the issue:

Yet in his challenge to the NSAC, Goodman cites a statute originally intended to address driving that defines a prohibited substance as any for which a person doesn't have a "valid prescription." And in previous interviews, Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, has said Diaz carries a prescription for medical pot.

So no one is on record saying that Nick specifically had a prescription (other than Cesar), but multiple statements in the challenge make reference to the need for one. Muddied waters. After the jump you can see how Nick's lawyer responded to this, and read what Keith Kizer had to say regarding Nick's test.

Goodman's response? NSAC isn't addressing the real issues, apparently:

"So what are we talking about? I don't think the Nevada State Athletic Commission knows how to address that issue now because we brought the actual rules to light. So now I think that they're first reaction was, 'Well, shoot, we do have some potential issues,' so what else can we say was wrong here? Oh, there was a pre-fight medical questionnaire that's asking for prescription medication? That was untruthful.'

"Maybe instead of attacking him and blaming him for something that's completely ridiculous, they should have a special category (on the questionnaire) that says, 'Are you a medical-marijuana patient?'"

In the article, Keith Kizer also confirms the actual ng/ml numbers from the first test:

The levels of all marijuana metabolties in Diaz's system were above an acceptable limit of 50 nanograms on his first test, according to NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer, and 10 nanograms above an acceptable limit of 15 nanograms of the carboxylic acid metabolite on the second test.

There're a lot more to it, and this is all very convoluted and complicated. I'd recommend reading the whole Junkie article to get the full picture. And if you'd like more information about California's rules regarding medical marijuana, here's what Prop 215 has to say on the issue. I think it's pretty obvious that we're going to be hearing about this a lot more over the next few months though.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Jim Miller takes fans inside his training camp as he prepares to face Nate Diaz

NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Anyone else feel like the new announcer on TUF is awkward and sometimes takes away from the show? I can't stand him. He talks over parts of the show and last episode the fighter went to shake his hand and he just walked away to the next guy. He looks as if he's there to collect his paycheck. Sorta like a weather anchor who knows dik or could care about meteorology. I don't know his name, but he has the shaved head I think?
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Anyone else feel like the new announcer on TUF is awkward and sometimes takes away from the show? I can't stand him. He talks over parts of the show and last episode the fighter went to shake his hand and he just walked away to the next guy. He looks as if he's there to collect his paycheck. Sorta like a weather anchor who knows dik or could care about meteorology. I don't know his name, but he has the shaved head I think?
    Yeah im not a fan of him.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Jones vs Evans Pro's Pick

NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Rampage Jackson on Leaving the UFC, TRT Therapy + Avenging the Loss to Shogun

NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Tito Ortiz Vs. Forrest Griffin III Set For July's UFC 148

In what is expected to be his last fight, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz tweeted late Monday night that he will face Forrest Griffin for the third time at July's UFC 148 in Las Vegas, NV.

Ortiz (16-10-1) had been campaigning for Griffin for some time and got his wish. The 37-year-old got a renewed lease on his UFC life with a big upset of Ryan Bader at UFC 132 in July 2011, snapping a five-fight winless streak. Following the win, Ortiz put up consecutive TKO losses to Rashad Evans and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

The 32-year-old Griffin (18-7) has compiled a 2-3 mark since winning the UFC Light Heavyweight title in July 2008. After losing the belt to Evans, Griffin was knocked out by Anderson Silva before earning decision wins over Ortiz and Rich Franklin. He last competed in August 2011, a first round knockout defeat to Mauricio Rua at UFC 134.

The two first fought at UFC 59 in April 2006, a split decision win for Ortiz in a Fight Of The Year candidate. The two battled again at UFC 106 in November 2009 with a split decision going to Griffin.

UFC 148 takes place on Saturday, July 7 and is headlined by the finale in another trilogy with Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber III.

Here's the announcement from Ortiz:

@titoortiz
    Tito Ortiz July 7th Vegas MGM #ufc148 its on!!!! @Punishment99 @PunishmentNutr @PTC2011 @ufc @ufc_brasil @UFCLatino @UFConXboxLIVE @forrestgriffin
    Mar 20 via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

hmm who wins the rubber match........

28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I don't know actually. They're both so far past their prime, but I think Tito has been more active then Forrest in recent times, so that may be a big factor. I'm not sure I care much about that card in general.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

You tell us: Should fighter have thrown punch when opponent was trying to touch glove

NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

That why I don't believe fighters should touch gloves until after the fight lol

31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

From the set of TUF Brazil

NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Anderson Silva And Chael Sonnen To Rematch In Rio Soccer Stadium In Front Of 80,000 F

The long awaited rematch between Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva continues to draw nearer with the bout being scheduled for UFC 147 this June. There were some snags as plans to hold the event in Sao Paulo, Brazil fell through due to noise ordinances, exacerbated by the need for the event to run well past midnight due to time zone differences, among other issues.

At today's UFC press conference, president Dana White announced that the bout would remain in Brazil but would be held in Rio de Janeiro, the city that is fast becoming the UFC's Brazilian home base. Here's the tweet from the UFC's Twitter account:

@ufc
    UFC Dana says the Chael/Anderson rematch is going to be in a soccer stadium in Rio that holds 80K
    Mar 21 via web Favorite Retweet Reply

80,000 fans is no joke, it is going to be quite the atmosphere as the hated Sonnen enters Brazil in an attempt to wrest the title from the firm grasp of pound-for-pound king Silva.

In the first bout, Sonnen dominated the fight only losing when caught in a triangle choke in the waning minutes of the UFC 117 bout. Sonnen would go on to test positive for elevated testosterone after the fight and would be suspended. That, combined with a rib injury for Silva coming into the evening, has many thinking the rematch will go quite diferently.
    NSCA - CSCS
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Wow thats a lot of fans, I wouldn't be shocked it Sonnen gets jumped or shot that night, just sayin LOL

34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Watch Anderson Silva Judge Brazil's Finest Asses

NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Brian Stann Recalls the Scary Battle He Led His Platoon Through in Iraq That Won Him

NSCA - CSCS
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Five NCAA wrestling All-Americans we hope try MMA

MMA's ties with NCAA wrestling were evident on Saturday, as Randy Couture, Ben Askren and Tyron Woodley presented awards and several other fighters were in the stands cheering on the wrestlers. The mats were filled with future fighters. Not all have professed an interest in making the jump to MMA, but here are the ones I hope will make the jump at some point, whether it's as soon as they graduate or after making a run towards Olympic gold.
    Kyle Dake, Cornell -- Because even though he already has three national titles under his belt, Dake is still growing and getting better. He has jumped a weight class every year, and dominated every new weight. Rumor has it that Dake is headed to medical school, so cagefighting probably isn't in his future. It's still fun to dream, right?

David Taylor, Penn State -- The sophomore pinned his way to the finals, then finished off his Most Outstanding Wrestler award-winning performance with a technical fall. His smooth takedowns had opponents on the ground before they knew what happened.

Tony Ramos, Iowa -- Another sophomore, Ramos won his third-place match by coming from out of nowhere to pin Minnesota's Chris Dardanes. At 133 lbs, his size and speed could find a home a fly or bantamweight.

Jordan Oliver, Oklahoma State -- He may have lost his final on a controversial call, but that doesn't take away the junior's accomplishments in the tournament. He pinned his way to the final with a nasty takedown that could wreak havoc in the cage.

Christopher Honeycutt, Edinboro -- The runner-up at 197 lbs. has already indicated his plans to go into MMA, and opponents will have a hard time dealing with his strength and size. He told reporters that he is fascinated by the challenge of mastering so many disciplines of MMA, and won't be the first Fighting Scot to try fighting. Josh Koscheck won a national championship for Edinboro.
    NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Rich Franklin Wants to Make One More Run at the UFC Middleweight Title

In July 2011, just before his scheduled fight at UFC 133, Rich Franklin was of the mindset that his time at middleweight was over.

“The UFC has basically told me that they’re not interested in having me fight at 185 anymore,” Franklin said in an interview with MMAWeekly.com. “Which is the only reason I made the move to 205 in the first place.”

Fast forward to March 2012 after Franklin had shoulder surgery that kept him out of fighting for the remainder of 2011, and it was announced that he would face former Strikeforce champion Cung Le at UFC 148.

The biggest surprise about that fight of course is that it’s taking place at middleweight.

So what changed over these last several months that brought Frankling back down to 185 pounds?

“After this injury, I was talking to Monte Cox and I said what would the UFC think about me moving back down to 185? I think at this point in time, in their minds, if I was able to put a title run together, even if they did do another rematch between Anderson (Silva) and I, there’s been enough time at this point there would be interest in the fight, and I guess that’s what the interest is now,” Franklin told MMAWeekly Radio on Thursday.

Truth be told, Franklin was never a huge fan of fighting at lightheavyweight to begin with, so when the door opened back up for him to return to 185 pounds, he jumped at the chance.

There are no certainties in MMA of course, so the door to return to 205 pounds isn’t closed by any means, but Franklin is hopeful that his final days of fighting will all be carried out in the UFC’s middleweight division.

“I try to avoid absolutes, but yeah if I’m going to move down to 185, making a jump to 205 is a difficult thing to do and making a jump back down to 185 is a difficult thing to do, but constantly moving back and forth between the two, and I was doing catchweights at 195, that makes things more difficult,” said Franklin.

“You don’t really have a home. Your body is constantly having to adjust to different weights, so this should help stabilize things for me. Hopefully, this is where I’ll finish my career.”

Of course, just coming back from major shoulder surgery and having his first fight scheduled against Cung Le in July, Franklin knows he’s still a ways off from competing for the UFC middleweight title again, but that’s still his ultimate goal.

The passion to once again claim the 185-pound title that he held and defended two times is something that Franklin still holds near and dear.

“That would be my Cinderella story. It would be great. I had one chance at that and fighting in my hometown and all that kind of stuff to regain my title, swing and a miss, strike one. I moved up to 205 and never really quite put things together at 205, swing and a miss, strike two. So hopefully this would be the way to end it,” Franklin stated.

“We’re starting with a good exciting fight, we’ll move forward from there. But that would be my Cinderella story.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Matt Hughes 'at a crossroads between fighting another fight or retirement

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Matt Hughes said he was excited and a little relieved when he learned that Chael Sonnen would be sitting next to him at the analyst desk of "UFC Tonight."

Obviously, Hughes is not Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva or a whole host of others – Brazilian and otherwise – whom Sonnen has offended in his tour of trash-talking duty.*

No, Hughes is a guy who's uncomfortable talking about subjects he doesn't really care about. He's a guy on loan from his farm in Hillsboro, Ill., where it's planting time. He's a guy who may or may not be fighting again, and he won't be able to talk about it until he hears from UFC president Dana White.

So he's a little out of sorts on the FOX set in Los Angeles. But thankfully, Sonnen, whom he knows better than the out-of-town analyst Kenny Florian, is picking up the slack.*

"As far as sitting there talking, Chael is obviously here for a reason," Hughes told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) prior to this week's taping of "UFC Tonight" for FUEL TV.*

Hughes (44-9 MMA, 18-7 UFC) is not here just because he's one of the most decorated champions in UFC history, a UFC Hall of Famer and just a knowledgeable MMA guy (talking about it notwithstanding). He's here to give an update on on his career and whether it will continue. The problem is, he doesn't have an answer.*

"Nope," he said. "I don't know what's going to go on or what's going to happen yet. So we're still plugging away and we'll figure it out."

He wants to fight, that's for sure. Although he admits to thinking more about family and the goings on of his farm lately than getting back in the cage, he still feels able to compete.*

"It's all I know," he said.*

His wife, on the other hand, wants him to retire. He has, after all, been knocked out by B.J. Penn and Josh Koscheck in his previous two outings. Once considered the most dominant force in the welterweight division, Hughes' losses have kept pace with his wins, and at 38, he's facing a division filled with young lions who would love to make a name by beating him.*

"She wants me to retire from fighting so fighting doesn't retire me," Hughes said.*

That's not the way she put it, he adds. Somebody else told him that, but the point is the same. She gets worried and doesn't want to see her husband hurt. *

"And I see where she's coming from," Hughes said. "She didn't grow up like I did. She's a city girl, not rough at all. I grew up on a farm with a twin brother. We grew up beating each other up."

So she is the clear "no" vote Hughes spoke of two months ago when the question of retirement came up. Obviously, he is the "yes" vote. White, the UFC's president, is the deciding vote.*

And that vote hasn't been cast.*

White still considers Hughes to be one of the greatest fighters to ever step into the cage. The two are close; Hughes defers to him when it comes to whom and when he fights. White would consider Hughes a partner in the UFC's development, and Hughes would consider White a friend.*

A friend who hasn't called yet.*

"Dana's busy," Hughes said. "So I'll hear from Dana when he wants something."

Hughes completely expects to get a call, mind you. On the record, he doesn't believe the lack of communication means anything bad, or that perhaps a vote that he's not going to like is on the way. White has previously said he'd like Hughes to retire. Or perhaps Hughes has a fight already and he's just teasing interest for the FUEL TV audience. Whatever it is, things have just changed a lot in the past few years. As the UFC has exploded in popularity and the promotion's schedule has expanded from five shows a year to more than 30, Hughes finds it harder to connect. He's an old vet in a sea of new blood.*

"It used to be that I could walk in the UFC office and I knew everybody by their first name," he said. "And now I walk through the UFC office, and it might take me 20 minutes to walk by somebody that I know. So yeah, things have changed a lot. The UFC has grown, but that means Dana is more busy right now. There's a lot of responsibilities that Dana wants to keep ahold of that he won't turn down (and) let somebody else do them. So, Dana's busy."

And what if Dana tells him to stop fighting? What if he really doesn't know which way it's going to go?*

"If I don't fight any more, that means I get to spend more time at home," Hughes said.*

Even though that's not what he wants, Hughes admits that option is not a bad one at all. After so many years of fighting and back-to-back training camps, he would welcome the chance to spend as much time with his family as he is now. Especially now because he has to travel further to prepare for a fight. More than a year ago, he sold his interest in the gym he co-founded with longtime trainer Marc Fiore, H.I.T. Squad, and now travels to Salt Lake City to train with his old training partner Jeremy Horn or, more recently, to Hawaii to work with former opponent Penn.*

"When you get a fight coming up, I'm gone pretty much Monday through Friday," Hughes said. "I usually fly away ... because I think you get better training when you don't go home every night. So that adds up. You come back, and your kids kind of don't know who you are when you get done with the fight."

Yet Hughes still wants to fight because he loves the sport so much. Despite the rocky road of the past half-decade, he doesn't feel done. Trading stories off-camera with Sonnen, he said the moments he cherishes most are the good times he's had with his teammates and friends in this wild, wild business.*

Asked during the show whether he's staying or going, Hughes hedges. This is a subject he really cares about.*

"I'm at a crossroads between fighting another fight or retirement," he said, adding that a decision will come "soon." "I'm 38, and I keep getting older, and the fighters keep staying the same age. I wanted the fall and spring off, and now it's time to talk with DW."

Or time to pick up the phone.
    NSCA - CSCS
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Michael Bisping unimpressed by anything Mark Munoz brings to the Octagon

As far as Michael Bisping is concerned, fellow UFC middleweight Mark Munoz never belonged in a bout to determine the next contender to Anderson Silva‘s divisional title to begin with. Bisping, who went the distance with Chael Sonnen as a replacement for Munoz earlier this year, will face Tim Boetsch at UFC 148 on July 7. Many felt Bisping and Munoz would be paired up next, including “The Filipino Wrecking Machine”, but instead it was Boetsch who earned the fight thanks in large part to his knockout of Yushin Okami last month.

Apparently, “The Count” has never seen Munoz as much of a threat, a point he relayed while appearing as a guest on a recent edition of ESPN’s UFC Podcast.

“I have never really looked at Mark Munoz and thought he looked like a particularly dangerous opponent,” Bisping said. “His ground and pound looks good, his wrestling doesn’t look all that dangerous, his stand up is suspect, and he’s got a weak chin. I think Tim Boetsch is probably a harder fight.”

Bisping,w ho has won four of his last five fights and feels like he is on the cusp of being a title-contender once again, also revealed he turned down a bout with Cung Le at the event. Le will instead meet Rich Franklin instead on the same card.
    NSCA - CSCS
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Rashad Evans: Beating Jones Is 'Even More Important' Than Being UFC Champion

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will finally get his chance to take the title back when he faces champion Jon Jones at UFC 145 in Atlanta on April 21. The two former teammates have some bad blood as a result of the way Jones got his title shot at UFC 128 after Evans was injured. That led to Evans leaving his long-time training home at Greg Jackson MMA and Jones staying with the camp.

Evans blogged about his thoughts on the upcoming bout for Yahoo! Sports:

In one month, on April 21 in Atlanta, I'm getting my title back but, to me, beating Jon Jones up and proving I am the better man and better fighter is even more important than waking up the next day as a two-time UFC champion.

He also talked about his opponent and makes a case for why he is the man to beat Jones:

For someone who says he doesn't talk a lot, Jon talks a hell of a lot. If there's any validity to what he's saying, if there's any truth to him being the "Muhammad Ali of MMA," then he's got to deal with me. It's not a fight he is taking lightly, I'm sure. Jon always trains hard, and I know he will be training extra hard for this fight against me.

I heard a stat about Jon that he's never been taken down in the UFC. But I've taken him down plenty, and I know he can't fight off his back. I think my takedowns will be a key to this fight. I know Jon can take me down, too - he's done it - but I've taken down every single fighter I've ever wanted to get down, and I took Jon down time and time again in the gym. I think style-wise I am all wrong for him.
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM