Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Sports Science: BJ Penn

NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

This is the sad and hilarious story of "Kiai Martial/Spiritual Art"

Here are some videos of Kiai that made their way to the internet world, taught by Master Yanagiryuken.

Look kind of odd and utterly ridiculous? Here's some more.

Upon lots of calls of BS to their Art, Master Ryukerin, who claims a 200-0 fight record, offers a challenge. He'll offer up $5,000.00 and challenge any MMA fighter to a prize fight. I'm thinking to his dismay, an MMA fighter took his challenge. Here's the fight.

NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

That was sad lol
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Don't they call it Spetsnaz in Russia?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dana White Discusses Charges Against Alistair Overeem

News broke earlier this week that Alistair Overeem had been charged with battery of a female in Las Vegas the weekend of UFC 141 and his fight with Brock Lesnar. The charges revolved around Overeem shoving the woman in the face "causing her to stumble back."

While details beyond that have been sketchy, UFC president Dana White did discuss the situation briefly following the UFC 143 pre-fight press conference.
    Via 5th Round:

"I don't think he's in that much trouble," White expressed after Thursday's press conference. "This isn't a situation where he beat somebody up, I don't think that's the case.

"He had to use the restroom, this is my knowledge of what happened, [and] security was going to take him. He said, ‘I don't need security,' and sure enough he goes over there, and his side of the story is some lady started yelling at him and swinging at him and everything else."

There's obviously a big gap between going over to the bathroom and a lady randomly yelling and swinging and "everything else" and that's where the entire story really lies.

But Dana likely isn't wrong in suggesting that Alistair isn't in "that much trouble" as this seems like a situation where the charges will be reduced significantly once the matter ends up in court. That's just the way these things tend to play out and I'd be shocked if Overeem ever served a day of the potential six months in jail he faces. It is much more likely that he sees a small fine and that's the end of things.

White also said that he fully plans on going ahead with Overeem facing Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title and does not expect this situation to impact that bout in any way.
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Jose Aldo part ways with Soares and Guimarães, working exclusively with Pederneiras

The career of the UFC featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, is again in the hands of Andre Pederneiras, and not with Jorge Guimarães and Ed Soares also as his managers.

Quote:
    "I’m his only manager now. We’ve sat down, talked and found it was the best way to go. Since things are happening in Brazil now, we thought it was the best call”

It comes six months after Junior dos Santos announced he also left Guimarães and Soares’ management.
    Nova Uniao head-coach, Pederneiras trained and managed the athlete until his conquest at WEC, when the fighter started to be managed by Black House guys. Pederneiras revealed that other Nova Uniao fighters will continue to be managed by Joinha and Ed, like Johnny Eduardo, Diego Nunes and Luis Ramos.
    Quote:
    “They helped us to get these guys there (in the UFC), I wasn’t fair firing them”.

Aldo won’t fight in Brasilia The manager took the chance to deny the rumors about a possibility of Jose Aldo fighting in Brasilia, on April 21, according to what the journalist Ancelmo Gois had published.

Quote:
    “Jose Aldo will be at Shooto, event that will take place in Brasilia and will join the anti-crack campaign”

Before going to the capital of Brazil, Shooto’s ring will host athles at Clube Hebraica, in Rio de Janeiro, on March 10.
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Nick Diaz: “In my opinion, everyone else is crazy.”

If you’ve ever wondered why Nick Diaz strays from the norm when it comes to the way he treats opponents or even media duties he’ll have you know it’s based on authenticity in a world where fakeness is the norm. Diaz has no illusions of what his chosen profession entails – two individuals attempting to damage the other to the point of submission or separation from consciousness.

“Some people aren’t mature enough to handle it. This isn’t soccer. I have no problem being sportsmanlike about this whole thing. I understand it’s a sporting event. But to me this is a fight,” Diaz explained in an interview with MMAFighting. “I’m not going to let things change that to help this sport become what it is. I think this sport IS what it is. I don’t worry about looking good. I do what I’ve got to do to survive, to keep my teeth in my head, and my head on my shoulders. I apologize to whoever can’t put that together and understand that.”

“People try to say, ‘Nick Diaz, he’s crazy or not crazy or fake crazy’,” the outspoken welterweight continued. “I’m like, ‘Hey, bro, what you see is what you get.’ I’m not out here trying putting on an act like I’m crazy. In my opinion, everyone else is crazy. They’re the ones who put on an act for you, doing what they’re told in front of the camera…They turn these guys into robots. I’m just not going to be that guy. Don’t tell me I’m crazy. I’m out here acting natural. I’m the only one here being realistic out here about this sort of thing.”

Diaz also said his style of fighting reflects his opinion about keeping things real, opting to brawl against strikers instead of rely on his high-level grappling ability. It’s also a mindset he sees Carlos Condit possessing, who he faces this Saturday night in the main event at UFC 143, and an aspect of his opponent he genuinely appreciates.

Fans can see what Diaz does next, a prospect often as entertaining as his offerings inside the cage, when he collides with Condit. The show fires up at 7:00 PM EST on FX/Facebook before main card action starts at 10:00 PM EST on PPV.
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

U.S. Government Shuts Down Streaming Websites

Zuffa has been on an anti-piracy jag for a long time now, and their support of the SOPA legislation has led to many problems for them. Today, the United States government took some steps that will undoubtedly please Dana White and company - they shut down a gaggle of streaming websites that broadcast UFC pay-per-views. Yahoo News has the info:

Three days before Super Bowl XLVI, U.S. prosecutors said they seized 16 websites that illegally streamed live sports and pay-per-view events over the Internet, and charged a Michigan man with running nine of those websites.

According to the government, the 16 websites provided links to give viewers easy access to other sites that hosted pirated telecasts from the National Football League, National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, World Wrestling Entertainment Inc ("WWE") and TNA Impact Wrestling. The latter is also broadcast on Viacom Inc's Spike TV.

While the UFC isn't mentioned in the article by name, it is clearly one of the benefactors of these sites being shut down. The list of sites includes many that regularly stream UFC events illegally, and a couple of them are very popular. In the long run, people that are determined to stream events will find alternatives but at least for this weekend, it could affect many people hoping to catch UFC 143 for free.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143 Breakdown: The Main Card

On the heels of a somewhat underwhelming UFC on FOX 2 card, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will be hoping to recapture the momentum that saw them produce a string of crowd-pleasing main events in the past few months. Originally scheduled to be headlined by a blockbuster Georges St. Pierre vs. Nick Diaz bout, UFC 143 now has to settle for an incomparably less marketable — but far more intriguing, and potentially enthralling — interim title fight pitting Diaz against Carlos Condit. The card also features a battle of perennial heavyweight Top 10′ers between Fabricio Werdum and Roy Nelson, while a tricky test awaits longtime welterweight contender Josh Koscheck in the form of Mike Pierce.

Preliminary Predictions

* Rafael Natal to defeat Michael Kuiper by Decision
    * Stephen Thompson to defeat Daniel Stittgen by Decision
    * Matt Brown to defeat Chris Cope by TKO in Round 2
    * Edwin Figueroa to defeat Alex Caceres by TKO in Round 3
    * Matt Riddle to defeat Henry Martinez by Decision
    * Dustin Poirier to defeat Max Holloway by Submission in Round 2

Main Card Predcitions

Heavyweight Fight: Ed Herman vs. Clifford Starks
    The talented but inconsistent Herman returns to the Octagon for the first time since his submission of Kyle Noke last August. At this stage in his career, Herman is pretty much what he is: well-rounded enough to dispose of many mid-level middleweights, but unlikely to ever manage to get over that ceiling. Throughout his career, Herman has out-grappled inferior grapplers, and out-struck inferior strikers. He is able to achieve the latter by mixing up just enough takedowns with his stand-up to keep his opponent guessing. In particular, Herman closes the distance well, where he is far more comfortable boxing from close-quarters and working in the clinch. That approach allows the Team Quest veteran to mask some flagrant flaws in his striking game, both offensively and defensively.

Starks’ striking isn’t much to write home about, but he does possesses a solid counter left hand that could prove very useful if Herman is his usual aggressive self, and is as persistent in his efforts to close the distance. Conversely, Starks is unlikely to have too much joy with his bread-and-butter single leg takedown, as Herman is a superior wrestler, and possesses solid enough takedown defense to stay vertical. If Starks wants to take the fight to the ground, he would be better served to use his single leg attempts to initiate scrambles, as clean takedowns will be hard to come by. This however, is a two-fold problem, as Starks’ grappling isn’t dynamic enough to take advantage of those scrambling opportunities and get dominant positions on someone as seasoned as Herman.

The match-up favors Herman, who shouldn’t have a difficult time clinching up, dirty-boxing, and putting Starks on his back, before polishing him off with a late submission or some ground-and-pound.
    Official Prediction: Ed Herman to defeat Clifford Starks by TKO in Round 3.

Bantamweight Fight: Renan Barao vs. Scott Jorgensen
    In a bout that could well determine who will earn a crack at the Urijah Faber/Dominick Cruz victor, Barao and Jorgensen square off in a rare showcase for the bantamweights on a UFC main card.

Barao is very single-minded in his approach: He will move forward, throw a lot of one-two’s, land an occasional leg kick, and aggressively pursue the takedown. The fact that he lacks a good shot from the outside forces him to be even more determined — and at times desperate — in his attempts to close the distance, as most of his takedowns come from the clinch. Once in that position, Barao will work for the double underhooks and look to land his favorite trip takedown. To his credit, in his last bout with Brad Pickett, Barao showed surprising versatility in his game, as he nailed the Brit with a step-in knee to the jaw before putting him away with a rear-naked choke.

If nothing else, Jorgensen will stay in Barao’s face the entire time, as “Young Guns” is relentless moving forward. However, as aggressive as he is, Jorgensen’s wrestling and takedown proficiency aren’t exactly unstoppable. He is often successful due to his ability to keep his opponent on his toes by having him worry about his monster of a right hand, but from a purely technical perspective, Jorgensen’s wrestling could still use some polishing. In his defense, his takedowns are far more effective once he actually closes the distance. If he is to put Barao on his back, this would be the path to do it, as Jorgensen is far more effective from up close than he is when in pure power double mode.

From the top, Jorgensen rarely looks to pass guard, and instead relies on his ability to generate an incredible amount of power with his ground-and-pound. However, his bout with Jeff Curran showed that Jorgensen’s top game can be neutralized with a solid active guard — something that Barao undoubtedly possesses. Furthermore, Barao will be able to threaten with sweeps and create scrambles frequently enough to regain his feet. Jorgensen needs to be particularly wary of his opponent’s ability to get the back in scrambles, as Barao shows no mercy once he is on his opponent’s back.

If the apparent improvement that Barao displayed in his striking against Pickett is indeed here to stay, the dynamics of this fight will shift to his favor, as Jorgensen’s wrestling isn’t nearly as effective when he isn’t controlling the striking portion of the fight. Nevertheless, Jorgensen’s right hand is a difference-maker in any contest, and should it connect, Barao may well find himself staring at the ceiling. In a real toss-up, expect Barao to edge out a tightly contested decision victory.

Official Prediction: Renan Barao to defeat Scott Jorgensen by Decision

Welterweight Fight: Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce
    While some have described the situation Koscheck finds himself in as “no-win”, the fact is, the American Kickboxing Academy standout could well find himself in title contention with a victory, especially should the winner of the evening’s main event fight one more time before squaring off with St. Pierre.

In Pierce, Koscheck faces a legitimately tough individual who never fails to make a fight out of any contest that he’s in. Despite a somewhat deserved reputation of an unspectacular grinder, Pierce is far more well-rounded than given credit for. His boxing is crisp, he knows how to sit on his punches, and can produce serious power with short, tight punches on the inside. This could spell trouble for Koscheck, who has displayed some lazy defensive tendencies in the past.

Conversely, Koscheck’s game negates what Pierce does best, as the Oregon native likes to get in close, get double underhooks and work for takedowns — a tough feat against a wrestler of Koscheck’s caliber. Koscheck’s double leg is good enough to drive through most fighters in the division. In fact, even in his one-sided beat-down at the hands of GSP, Koscheck was still able to take the best wrestler in the division down. However, while he is more than capable of putting Pierce on his back, Koscheck will likely choose to keep the fight standing, as he has done so many times before.

Koscheck sets up his overhand right with a jab that he throws with no real conviction, and the rest of his striking game consists of the occasional high kick. What he lacks in technique and diversity however, Koscheck makes up for with speed and power, and Pierce wouldn’t want to experience the sensation of an overhand right to the chin.

Despite the unlikelihood of a clean takedown for Pierce, he would be smart to force his opponent into a clinch battle where he could push him against the fence and land some dirty-boxing. This may well take Koscheck out of his element, as he has always preferred working from distance, both when striking and shooting in.

Nevertheless, the match-up favors Koscheck who is a vastly superior wrestler and will be the faster and more powerful striker. Pierce is good enough to hold his own in both departments, but not to the point of actually besting Koscheck in either.
    Official Prediction: Josh Koscheck to defeat Mike Pierce by Decision

Heavyweight Fight: Fabricio Werdum vs. Roy Nelson

In a rare piece of legitimately interesting heavyweight action, grappling ace Fabricio Werdum looks to make the most out of a ticket back inside the Octagon when he takes on “Big Country” Roy Nelson. Despite a sorry performance against Alistair Overeem in June, there can be no doubt as to whether or not Werdum belongs in the UFC heavyweight division. Nelson however, provides the Brazilian with a stern welcome back test.

On the feet, Nelson will hold the edge as long as the fight is not contested in close-quarters. Werdum’s most efficient offense comes when he can close the distance on his opponent, land some short — albeit sloppy — punches, and work him over in the clinch where he possesses some underrated knees from the Thai plum. “Big Country” would not want to experience a repeat of his bout with Frank Mir, and will therefore be looking to maintain his distance, where his superior boxing and power come into play. He will move forward, double up on the jab, and follow up with his bread-and-butter overhand right.

Normally, Nelson uses that pattern to close the distance and secure the clinch, where he will look for trip takedowns and get his top game working. Against Werdum however, he might choose to do away with that approach, as he risks playing right into the Brazilian’s hands. If a battle of underhooks ensues, and Werdum is able to turn the tables on his opponent, put his back against the fence, and get the takedown, Nelson’s strategy would have backfired in a major way. Even if Nelson is successful in putting his opponent on his back, Werdum’s guard is simply too good to get stuck helplessly on the bottom. In particular, Werdum’s ability to sweep will be troublesome for even someone with Nelson’s top game. At worst, Werdum is going to completely neutralize his opponent’s work from the top, and “Big Country” is not going to have success passing guard and looking for his trademark mounted Crucifix.

As such, Nelson would be wise to stay on the outside and look to fire his menacing right hand. However, unless he catches Werdum clean on the chin and puts him away, “Vai Cavalo” is going to be able to close the distance, get the clinch, land some knees and look for the takedown. Nelson has a solid enough base to avoid being planted on his back in the early going, but if his habit of fading away late in the fight persists, “Big Country” could well spend the third round fighting from the bottom.

This could turn into a more competitive version of Nelson’s bout with Mir, this time with “Big Country” having some success early, only for Werdum to rally back and get the nod on the judges’ scorecards.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dan Henderson Likely to Sit and Wait for Winner of Jones/Evans

When Rashad Evans defeated Phil Davis at UFC on Fox 2, it locked up his position as the No. 1 contender in the light heavyweight division, and assured him of the next shot at champion Jon Jones. Unless something unfortunate happens, Evans will finally face Jones on April 21 at UFC 145 in Atlanta, but that still leaves one big lingering question.
    What about Dan Henderson? The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion was the other name that was vying for a shot at Jon Jones after his ‘Fight of the Year’ performance against Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua at UFC 139 last November.

Henderson was originally offered a fight with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, but turned it down on the prospect that he could still get a fight with Jones. Now that Rashad Evans has been given the next shot at Jones, it appears Henderson is happy to sit and wait for the winner of that fight later this year.

“Dan Henderson’s in a position right now where it looks like he wants to wait for Jon Jones,” UFC President Dana White said on Thursday. “We’ll see what happens with this Rashad fight.”

Traditionally, Henderson has been a fighter that hasn’t enjoyed sitting out for long periods of time, and reportedly called White asking to compete again right after his last bout with Rua ended. Now it looks like Henderson would rather wait for his opportunity to fight
    for the UFC title as opposed to taking another fight for the time being.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC® 143 DIAZ vs CONDIT Press Conference

NSCA - CSCS
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit Faceoff

NSCA - CSCS
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143 Dana White Talks Nick Diaz and Georges St. Pierre

NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

NICK DIAZ UFC 143 INTERVIEW

NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

CARLOS CONDIT UFC 143 INTERVIEW ON NICK DIAZ

NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

JOSH KOSCHECK VERY MAD ON UFC 143

NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

BIG COUNTRY ROY NELSON ON UFC 143

NSCA - CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Ken Shamrock on the Diaz brothers

NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143: GSP - Nick Diaz Doesn't Want To Fight Me

NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Carlos Condit's UFC 143 Open Workout Before Facing Nick Diaz

NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143 Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit PRO'S PICKS: Ellenberger, Rutten, Werdum....

NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143 Open Work Outs: Condit, Diaz, Werdum, Nelson, GSP

NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Cris 'Cyborg' Santos Separates From Evangelista 'Cyborg' Santos

Former Strikeforce 145lb women's champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos has separated from her husband, Strikeforce welterweight Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos according to a report from Brazilian web site UOL Esporte Lutas. UOL posted the following message from Cris to her fans:

After six years of dedication to love and to happiness of marriage, I would like to inform that since December of 2011, Evangelista Cyborg and I are living our lives separately. I'd like to thank all friends for words of support during this period. No matter how hard it feels never give up on your dreams and never give up in love!

A big hug,

Cris

Mrs. Cyborg was suspended and stripped of her title following a drug test failure after her last fight. Mr. Cyborg has lost his last two fights to Nick Diaz and Jordan Mein and has no announced fights coming up. There is no word on who will get the nickname in any potential divorce settlement.

Our best wishes to both fighters during this difficult time.
    NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143 Results: Dana White Is Right, A Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Rematch Is The Wa

UFC 143 Results: Dana White Is Right, A Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Rematch Is The Way To Go

There have been a lot of complaints about Carlos Condit's unanimous decision victory over Nick Diaz at UFC 143's interim welterweight title fight on Saturday. Most notably, Nick Diaz vowed to retire from MMA after the decision was read. Diaz, and many fans, were frustrated with Condit's counter-strike and circle away strategy, but Diaz had no answer for it inside the cage.

UFC president Dana White expressed his hope for a rematch between the two fighters as the best solution:

"I know (Georges. St. Pierre) wanted that Diaz fight bad, but it's not going to be Diaz so he better get angry with Carlos Condit or focus on Carlos Condit or whatever he needs to do. Carlos Condit won this fight. No matter how much Georges and Nick hate each other, Carlos Condit won, and I think the fans are mad at the way Carlos Condit fought. Too f*cking bad. He came in with a game plan and stuck to it and won. You know what's funny man, is that when he said that, I was thinking the same thing. It's crazy, but. I was thinking it after the fight. You know, people are bitching and thinking it was close or whatever, we can do that fight again before GSP comes back. It depends on Carlos too, he's really gotta say, and Nick's gotta say I want to fight him again too."

If White can persuade the volatile Diaz to reconsider retirement, this is the way to go for three reasons:

1. It will give Diaz a chance to adjust to Condit's tactics. A truly great fighter would have been able to respond in-cage but I'd like to see what Diaz and his team come up with given a few months to prepare. Diaz' entire flat-footed arm-punching style is a response to his frustration with the way MMA fights are judged on the ground and his serial losses to better wrestlers in the UFC. I look forward to seeing if he can adapt to Condit's game plan and if so, how.

2. It will give prevent the division from being entirely on hold while champion GSP recovers from ACL surgery. Sure it means a log jam at the top of the division, but that's fine as the new wave of contenders (Johny Hendricks, Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald, etc) need time to sort themselves out and build up their names with fans.

3. It will ease the pressure on GSP to return from surgery prematurely. He'll already be coming back in a title fight after an 18 month layoff and major surgery, the pressure to get back into the Octagon early makes a bad situation worse.

Hopefully Diaz' coach Cesar Gracie can talk him back into the cage for one more go at Condit. What do you think?
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM