Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 18 of 111 First ... 13161718192023 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    There's a lot of video on YouTube of Michael Page in kick boxing matches and he's just as flamboyent with the dancing and spinning kicks. He's fun to watch, but it's all fun & games until you come across a nasty wrestler.
    he showed some TD defense so he's on the right track, but yeah get him a high level wrestler and see how he does.
    I'm a huge fan of Cain Mir and Carwin. If Mir won I'd be stoked, but its hard knowing he's gonna take a ridiculous beating. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's out cold in the first. Though following the fight I'm gonna be rooting for Cain to get the belt back.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    Last thing I want to see is Tito knock out chuck lol
    Yeah especially by Tito. I think if there's ever a fight where Chuck would actually be a slight bit more calculated (unlike against Rich) it would be this fight against Tito. Maybe the only retirement fight where the guy loses and yet still was pretty badass it was the Chuck/Rich fight. Yeah he was KO'd big time but he still managed to break his arm in the process
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Yeah especially by Tito. I think if there's ever a fight where Chuck would actually be a slight bit more calculated (unlike against Rich) it would be this fight against Tito. Maybe the only retirement fight where the guy loses and yet still was pretty badass it was the Chuck/Rich fight. Yeah he was KO'd big time but he still managed to break his arm in the process
    Yeah that sucked, Chuck was doing so awesome in that fight, if they would have went out in R2 I really think Chucks chances would have been even higher, but damn he always gets CAUGHT, so many fights in a row getting caught right on the button
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

As much as Chuck can be knocked out by a strong wind these days, I'd still give him the advantage over Tito. Chuck just has Tito's number, once Chuck throws a quick flurry and instills the fear into Tito's head, Tito will turtle up and Chuck will flurry his way into a ref stoppage. That's how I'd see it going down.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

he showed some TD defense so he's on the right track, but yeah get him a high level wrestler and see how he does.
    I'm a huge fan of Cain Mir and Carwin. If Mir won I'd be stoked, but its hard knowing he's gonna take a ridiculous beating. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's out cold in the first. Though following the fight I'm gonna be rooting for Cain to get the belt back.
    If he ever makes his way to the UFC, we can say we saw it first here.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Rolles Gracie talks this weekend’s fight with Bob Sapp, living up to family’s reputat

Rolles Gracie is preparing to take on Bob “The Beast” Sapp in a Super Heavyweight clash at ONE FC: Battle of Heroes in Jakarta on Saturday despite giving away around 100 pounds in weight. However, the member of MMA’s first family is determined to put on a the sort of performance which could establish him as a serious contender for the ONE FC heavyweight title as well as belts outside of the organization.

Gracie spoke with Five Ounces of Pain about becoming the latest in a long line of his family members to fight in Asia, his anguish at being cut by the UFC after only one fight, and how excited he is to be a part of the fastest growing mixed martial arts organization in the world.

Bob Sapp is 100 pounds bigger than you and you are naturally a heavyweight, not a super heavyweight. Did you have any doubts about taking this fight?

Gracie
    : No, none whatsoever. To me there is no difference between heavyweight and super heavyweight. Its just a number after it gets to the point where you are more than 100 kilograms – you should be ready fight everybody.

I respect Sapp as an opponent. I respect every opponent I fight. You have to give respect to anybody who steps inside the cage and Bob Sapp is no different. he has a history in the sport, he has beaten so many people, he is massive, and so you have to give him respect.

Sapp’s strength is his striking and he has competed in K-1 and beaten Ernesto Hoost. Do you feel like this is a dangerous match up because his strengths are your weaknesses?

Gracie
    : It’s a challenge. The power behind his punches is huge so he is definitely dangerous and if I blink I might wake up on my back with people looking down at me. I give him respect and that’s why I trained hard and am ready to do my job. I had a couple of big guys to train with but not as heavy as him. I don’t know how much he even weighs. I think it is between 340lbs and 370 lbs and I had a couple of guys who were 300 lbs so not as big as him but close.

Does having such a large opponent make you more reluctant to shoot for the takedown in case he ends up on top of you?

Gracie: I’m comfortable on my back. It doesn’t matter who is on top of me. I am comfortable it doesn’t make a difference who they are. I am confident in my guard and think I can pull off submissions or sweeps from there.

I’m ready to go three rounds with him if I have to. People say that he is gonna’ gas quick but I didn’t base my camp on that. I am ready to go five rounds if I have to. I trained as if he isn’t ever going to get tired.

Have you focused your training more on striking and MMA, or do you still train BJJ with a gi?

Gracie
    : I always train with a gi but once it gets close to the fight, like six weeks away, I won’t put the gi on unless I have had a really hard day and just want to do some free rolling. Then I put my gi on and go and roll with my students.

I focus on everything but I cannot forget where I come from or what brought me here which is BJJ so I can’t make the mistake of not training BJJ. I train BJJ and I train the other things like wrestling and boxing.

Sapp fought Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who also has very good BJJ, at a PRIDE event back in 2002. Have you watched that fight again recently?

Gracie
    : I watched Sapp’s fight with Nogueira. It was an epic. Hopefully my fight won’t be like that but that was a fight which I watched a lot and I could see things I could work on for strategy but the fight happened ten years ago and both him and Noguiera have improved a lot since then so I can’t base too much on that.

You cornered Gregor Gracie at the first ONE FC show at the Singapore Indoor Stadium last September. What did you think of that?

The first ONE FC show was awesome, I liked it so much I wanted to fight on the next one. It was a great show and the One FC guys do everything right, they take really good care of the fighters, they put on shows in sold out arenas, it’s awesome.

Gracie
    : I have been waiting for something like this and the time has come. I’m ready to represent and to put on a show for the Asian fans. My whole family has fought in Asia, not just Renzo Gracie, and this is my third time fighting in Asia and I like the crowd here. It’s the birthplace of martial arts and I think Asia is like where the majority of martial arts were born it’s in people’s DNA to understand martial arts and they love it a lot. It’s a different crowd.

Your only loss came against Joey Beltran in your UFC debut. Did you learn a lot from that experience?

Gracie
    : I couldn’t prepare the way I wanted and I couldn’t perform the way I wanted. It wasn’t the greatest thing to happen to my career, I would never call a loss a great thing, but I learned a lot from that and it made me change my training and made me think.

I was so excited to fight for the UFC, my last fight was like six months before and I didn’t want to put it off and wait another three months to fight again but the right thing would have been to pull out and get another show.

How disappointed were you to get cut by the UFC after only one fight?

Gracie
    : I was very disappointed to get cut by the UFC because they knew I was injured and wasn’t 100% but I did the fight anyway and then they didn’t give me another shot . It wasn’t me performing but to be honest I didn’t think I performed that bad. I out-struck Beltra, I took him down, and I mounted him. But my cardio was bad and he was only able to take advantage of me after I ran out of gas and that’s something I can fix. All I had to do was step up my cardio.

Would you ever consider fighting for the UFC again?

Gracie
    : If they call me I will see but I am happy where I am right now. I’m happy to fight for ONE FC. That’s all I’m thinking of.
    Joey Beltran just got cut by the UFC. Would you be interested in a rematch if ONE FC decided to sign him up?

Gracie
    : I truly believe I can beat Beltran. I think if we fight ten times I’m going to beat him nine. The only time he is going to beat me happened already. I can beat him any area, a grappling match, a wrestling match, a kickboxing match.
    So you are confident in your stand up?

Gracie
    : I am very confident in my stand up, just because I don’t show my striking much doesn’t mean I don’t have striking. I have great striking partners and if I feel if I cannot take somebody down I am happy to use my striking, but if I can take them down I will.

Would you like to be the first ever ONE FC heavyweight champion?

I want to win the ONE FC heavyweight belt. I wanted them to make this fight a championship match but I know they are working on their belts and this is only the second edition of the show but I am looking forward to having that belt. My manager is talking to Victor Cui about future opponents and future shows. I had a great experience with Gregor here and I am ready to embrace this project.

How important to you think it is for there to be a show in Asia which fans all over the world can enjoy instead of just watching the UFC?

Gracie: I don’t believe in monopoly. The more shows we have the better. If you only think about one or two shows you are not really thinking about the sport. The initiative which Cui is doing, partnering up with smaller shows in Asia, is great because it is going to create opportunities for more fighters. If you have only one show how many fighters can you have on your roster? It’s great and this is going to be one of the best shows in the world.

Is there anything else you want to add?

Gracie
    : I want to thank everyone from Renzo’s team, guys from Fuji gis and Tokyo Fight Brand.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dan Henderson not waiting for winner of bout between Rashad Evans-Jon Jones

When Rashad Evans outpointed Phil Davis at UFC on FOX 2 and exited the match-up in relatively good health the mystery surrounding who light heavyweight Jon Jones would defend his title against next was solved. However, the question about equally deserving contender Dan Henderson’s future remained unanswered.

Henderson, who solidified his standing as a top challenger with an exciting win over Mauricio Rua in November, recently opened up on his plan for 2012 in a conversation with ESPN where he explained it’s never been his intention to wait for Jones-Evans to settle their score.

“That was never what I said or anything,” said the former Strikeforce/DREAM champion. “I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. My thoughts were I was waiting to see what happened with Rashad and Phil Davis. That was the only thing I was going to wait for.”

“Obviously you can’t guarantee that nobody gets hurt,” he added, alluding to the possibility of stepping in as a replacement for Jones or Evans, continuing, “I don’t know what the plan is, but I’d fight whoever it is they think would be a good match-up. The problem is there’s really nobody right now who fits the bill for a title contention fight; that would make sense to fight me. I don’t know. Maybe I’d fight at a different weight class. I don’t know if they see anybody at heavyweight that would make sense? But I would prefer to fight someone in April or May.”

The idea of a heavyweight tilt is certainly enticing given Henderson’s success against Fedor Emelianenko though, as he admitted, there aren’t a lot of names jumping out at him as being something fans might want to see. The 41-year old also mentioned a rematch with Quinton Jackson as a possibility pending the outcome of Jackson’s bout against Ryan Bader at UFC 144.

With Henderson on the record the ball now appears to be in the UFC’s court. What match-up they’ll throw back remains to be seen though, clearly, “Hendo” is ready for the challenge as long as it makes sense and fans are interested in seeing it go down.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Cung Le anticipating an Octagon appearance in 2012

Cung Les UFC debut did not go as planned for the 39-year-old fighter. However, that doesn’t mean Le is going to slip into retirement just because he came up short in November.

On his Twitter account, Le hinted that he hopes to head back to the Octagon sooner than later, writing, “I’ll be ready to fight soon,” before adding that his plan was for a return this year. No names or dates were mentioned.

Le’s fight came at UFC 139 against Wanderlei Silva who handed him a loss, and a broken nose, for his efforts. The bout was awarded a Fight of the Night distinction as the two exchanged in a serious all-out-brawl for nearly ten minutes before Silva stopped Le with strikes.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Bob Sapp what a crazy character!

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move.

Eddie Alvarez could be on his way to the UFC in the near future.

He has one fight left on his current deal with Bellator FC, where he recently lost the lightweight belt to Michael Chandler.
    Both sides have been in negotiations on a new deal for some time but a source tells Fighters Only that he and Bellator and “miles apart” on the value of a new contract.

The source says that the tone has “soured” recently and that a resolution now seems all but impossible, with the respective parties adamant that they cannot move from their stated positions. A training partner of UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, Alvarez has been on the UFC radar for some time.

Bellator is looking at bringing in Shinya Aoki for the last fight of Alvarez’s contract, pursuant to a talent-sharing agreement with Japanese promotion DREAM. Aoki holds the DREAM lightweight title and also holds a submission win over Alvarez from 2008lvarez is anxious for revenge but the clash would have serious implications for his immediate future.

If he lost to Aoki, he would exit Bellator on a two-fight losing streak and a decreased value which would harm his negotiating position with the UFC.

Should he win, he would be going into contract talks off the back of a win over a DREAM champion, making him more marketable from the UFC’s point of view and thus adding to his contract value, especially in light of their targeting the Japanese market.
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

How long has Dan been all healed up? We could have had Rashad vs Dan which could have been epic if he was good to go. Put him in with Thiago Silva! Or better yet......I'd pay twice to see Tito vs Dan
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

How long has Dan been all healed up? We could have had Rashad vs Dan which could have been epic if he was good to go. Put him in with Thiago Silva! Or better yet......I'd pay twice to see Tito vs Dan
    Dan vs Tito would be sick. I will give tito the he has a sick chin, he never gets KO'd, but thats why people keep taking him out with body shots

Seriously Lyoto dropped him with a knee to the body, Rashad and now lil Nog. I could see Dan being the first to K.O Tito.

13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dan would slaughter Tito at this point, but against JBJ, I'd HEAVILY favor Jones.
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Roger Gracie signs with the UFC.

Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber III targeted for UFC 148 in Las Vegas

The trilogy bout between UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and longtime ***** Urijah Faber (26-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is targeted for UFC 148 on July 7 in Las Vegas.

That's according to UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, who was full of announcements overnight, posting the information on his Twitter account.

First, the two will square off as opposing coaches on the upcoming 15th season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

Featuring live fights for the first time in the series' history, the season marks the long-running series' debut on FX. "TUF" 15 debuts on March 9.

It'll be their third meeting; Faber won the first at WEC 26 via submission to defend the WEC featherweight title, and Cruz in 2011 avenged the defeat with a unanimous-decision victory at UFC 132 earlier this year to defend his UFC belt.

UFC officials recently announced UFC 148 will take place in Las Vegas. While a venue was not revealed, the promotion has reserved MGM Grand Garden Arena on that date. Additionally, a UFC Fan Expo coincides with the event and will take place at the nearby Mandalay Bay Events Center.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I think Dan would slaughter him also. Tito may have a good chin, but so did Fedor Uh oh dropped the F bomb

Also if Faber wants any hope of beating Cruz, he's gotta move camps.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I think Dan would slaughter him also. Tito may have a good chin, but so did Fedor Uh oh dropped the F bomb

Also if Faber wants any hope of beating Cruz, he's gotta move camps.
    You did not just drop the F bomb!

18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Name:  11aazz.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  38.4 KB
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

ahaha

20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Kos v Hendricks at UFC on Fox 3. If Hendricks wins, I think he gets a title shot v Condit. If Kos wins, then the WW division has temporary lost a contender.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Hendricks is the one that KO'd Fitch right?
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Diego Sanchez has Choice Words for Nick Diaz

Diego Sanchez might have changed his nickname from “Nightmare” to “Dream,” but the UFC welterweight hasn’t changed his tone about a former foe. He’s still not high on Nick Diaz. The two first faced each other in November of 2005 at the The Ultimate Fighter 2 Finale. Sanchez came out on top in the contest, which, like most of his losses, Diaz wasn’t happy about. The outspoken Stockton resident makes his gripes where he sees fit, and as a result has built a following over the years that supports his protests.

Sanchez, however, has words for Diaz’s fan base and their allegiance to the “209er” – shut up.

“All you little people out there that are Nick Diaz groupies: I beat him then, I’ll beat him again,” Sanchez told MMAWeekly Radio Weekend Edition. “I don’t know why you guys say this crap. ‘Oh, that was a long time ago! Nick Diaz has gotten so much better.’ You know what, man?! Everybody’s gotten better! That’s what happens!”

Sanchez isn’t blind to the fact that Diaz has become one of the world’s best 170-pound fighters on the planet. He gives him the respect any other would give for building his reputation in the years outside of the UFC’s Octagon. But once Diaz returned to the organization last year, Sanchez was less than impressed. A fight with former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. Penn told Sanchez that Diaz, while a great fighter, on that night fought someone who has seen greater days.

In fact, according to Sanchez, he wishes he could have gotten it so easy. “I commend Nick Diaz for everything he’s done, and he did take it to B.J., but the B.J. that fought Nick Diaz was not the B.J. that fought me,” he proclaimed. “I wish I could have fought that B.J.”

With so much animosity towards Diaz and his following, it’s easy to assume Sanchez’s attention might be drifting away from his pending UFC on Fuel TV fight with Jake Ellenberger scheduled for Feb. 15. Not so fast, said the Jackson’s MMA fighter. He still has his eyes focused on the task at hand, which is getting his chance to earn a shot at the interim UFC welterweight title.

Ellenberger is still priority No. 1. “A big win in this fight I think (will) put me in line for a shot at (Carlos Condit). That’s what I would want,” he said. “Get that interim belt and fight ‘GSP.’

“I’m not looking ahead of Jake Ellenberger. He’s a champion.”

But in a division with an interim title, injured pay-per-view star, and deep list of up-and-coming competitors looking for a piece of the pie, it’s unrealistic that Sanchez would only have Ellenberger in mind. The public jabs at Diaz make sense for the former Ultimate Fighter winner and the position he’s in, especially given their history.

Ellenberger is first, but he’d love to get in there with Diaz one more time.

“The guy is the most negative guy in the sport, and I would love to put a whooping on him again,” he said. “I’m still (the) Diego Sanchez who can take down Nick Diaz and his ‘blanky’ legs.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I'd love to see a Diego vs Diaz rematch, but that won't be happening anytime soon due to Nick's suspension and I think Nick's probably too boozey at this point in his career to even fight Diego. I'd pick Nick to win though.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Hendricks is the one that KO'd Fitch right?
    In 12 seconds and was a D1 champion wrestler.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Royce Gracie vs. Dan Severn (Gracie Breakdown w/ CM Punk)

NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    In 12 seconds and was a D1 champion wrestler.
    I haven't seen Hendricks fight a lot. I've seen him before, but he wasn't really on the radar until that Fitch fight for me.
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Condit reacts to Diaz drug test

When Carlos Condit got a text from UFC president Dana White last Tuesday morning -- just three days after beating Nick Diaz via a closely contested but unanimous decision to claim the interim welterweight title at UFC 143 -- he knew something was up. He knew White was in Brazil attending to other business. What could be so important that he needed to talk to a fighter who had just fulfilled his duties and was supposed to be in vacation mode by now?

"So I called him," Condit said. "...We talked about [the fight] a little bit. He said he thought that I won, but at the same time a lot of people were calling for the rematch and it would be a huge fight. The day before I had told my manager that I'd be into a rematch, and I told Dana White the same thing. I said I'm down. Let's just figure out the details and we'll do it."

Condit's manager, Malki Kawa, had sounded considerably less enthusiastic about a rematch the day before, telling MMAFighting.com that it was "not something we're looking to do," but to Condit, it made sense. Even after going home and watching the fight on tape he felt he'd earned the decision, he said, "but I could see how it was somewhat of a controversial decision. It was close."

So he told White he'd do it. And why not? As he explained, "I don't think I need the rematch. I won the fight; I think I'd win a rematch. But the thing about it is, I want to be in big fights, fights where there's a lot of buzz, a lot of people wanting to see the fight, and a rematch with Nick Diaz fits the bill." Then on Tuesday night, White texted Condit again. This one, Condit said, "was a little more urgent," so he called back right away."Then he tells me that Diaz failed his [drug] test." So much for the rematch. Diaz's positive test for "marijuana metabolites" -- the second such positive drug test in the span of five years for the mercurial welterweight -- meant a suspension was almost certainly on the way.

It also further shifted the spotlight from the winner of the interim title fight to the loser. On their official Twitter account, the Diaz brothers accused Condit of accepting the rematch only after he was told of Diaz's positive drug test, insisting he "[n]ever intended to rematch." ("That's just false," Condit's management countered in an email to SI.com.)

This is how Condit's easy week of basking in the glow of victory turned into a tidal wave of stress. Each day seemed to bring new rumors, new accusations, a new headache. Somehow he'd managed to win the fight, and yet still ended up defending himself in the court of public opinion.

Whether it was criticism over his stick-and-move strategy against Diaz ("Honestly," Condit said, "it seemed like our game plan worked almost too well") or accusations of post-fight media manipulation from Diaz and his more conspiracy-minded fans, Condit seemed to be hearing it from all sides.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that, if not for Diaz's failed drug test, the rematch could have settled any lingering questions. Now that option was off the table, but not because of anything Condit had done. And as for the marijuana that was evidently still lurking in Diaz's system when the two met in the cage?

"I don't care," Condit said. "The thing about it is, it's something they test for. It's against the Nevada [State] Athletic Commission [rules]. I don't really consider it to be a performance-enhancing drug, but the fact is, they're testing for it. And you know they're testing for it. Whatever you do in between camps, if you know they're testing for this stuff then you've got to figure something out. In the past, he's said, 'Oh, I can smoke and I can pass these tests no problem.' That attitude kind of came back and bit him in the ass." And yet, somehow this stuff just doesn't seem to stick to Diaz.

While White said in a statement that he was "beyond disappointed" in the former Strikeforce champ, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said that organization would not fire him over the positive drug test (assuming Diaz doesn't actually retire, as he threatened to do when the decision didn't go his way). And Diaz's fans? Let's just say that, if you're a Diaz fan after everything he's been through in his career, a little THC probably isn't going to change your mind.Instead, it's Condit who's somehow taken the worst of it. Condit, who actually won the fight, according to all three judges. Condit, who's walking around with the interim title, and who accepted the rematch, according to both his management team and the UFC. Condit, who fulfilled his end of the bargain by testing clean at the end of the night. So what gives?

Maybe fans didn't like how he won the fight. Maybe they expected more brawling and less strategy. Maybe the post-fight shenanigans fit too easily into the anti-hero narrative that Diaz has crafted for himself, leaving Condit as the representative of some oppressive establishment, rather real or imagined. All Condit knows for sure is that, despite the win, he doesn't have that top-of-the-mountain feeling he thought he would after beating Diaz on live TV.

"Honestly, I don't," he said. "It was not as satisfying as it should be, with all this stuff that went on afterward." But with Diaz awaiting his punishment, there's no real way to remedy the situation any time soon. He can't get a rematch to quiet the doubters, and can't do much to battle public perception from the sidelines. All he can do is wait for another chance to prove himself in the cage, which Condit said he's willing to do in the next few months if welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre isn't going to be healthy enough to fight him until the end of
    the year.

"Ultimately, I see Georges St-Pierre as the champion," Condit said. "I'm not satisfied until I fight and beat the champion and I'm the undisputed welterweight champion. That's when I'll be satisfied." Or at least, he thinks he will. If the Diaz situation has taught us anything, it's that the fight doesn't always end when you leave the cage. Sometimes it only gets nastier.
    NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

No Disciplinary Sanction Warranted For Nick Diaz Under A Principled Interpretation Of

No Disciplinary Sanction Warranted For Nick Diaz Under A Principled Interpretation Of NAC 467.850

Nick Diaz's recent post-fight positive test after UFC 143 for marijuana has caused many fight enthusiasts to ask: "Why do they test for marijuana anyway?"

The answer to that question, along with a review of Nevada's applicable regulatory provision, suggests that there is no basis for disciplinary sanction of Mr. Diaz unless he administered or used marijuana immediately prior to or within several hours in advance of his fight.

Cannabinoids as Prohibited Substances

Cannabinoids are prohibited substances for fighters licensed in Nevada by virtue of NAC 467.850(2)(f), which incorporates by reference all prohibited substances on the current Prohibited List published by the World Anti-Doping Agency ("WADA").

Cannabinoids - specifically, natural (e.g. cannabis, hashish, marijuana) and synthetic delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) as well as cannabimimetics - are included on WADA's Prohibited List. The status of cannabinoids as either legal or illegal under applicable criminal law - or, e.g., ‘legal with a doctor's note' - is immaterial. The determinative fact for fight licensing purposes is that cannabinoids are included on WADA's Prohibited List.

Cannabinoids are only prohibited "in competition". WADA expressly permits the use of marijuana and other cannabinoids outside of competition. Nevada is no different. A random, out of competition positive test for marijuana should not engender disciplinary sanction under the NAC's regulations.

The Regulatory Ambiguity: "Before"
    NAC 467.850(1) provides that the administration of or use of any prohibited substance "either before or during a contest or exhibition" is prohibited.

The obvious question is this: how long before is "before", under NAC 467.850(1)? A day? A week?

Media commentators have correctly pointed out that the presence of metabolites in a sample taken on fight night is consistent with the last "administration of or use of" the prohibited substance having been many days if not weeks earlier.

Is the use of marijuana potentially weeks in advance of a fight a violation of NAC 467.850(1)?
    (Parenthetically, no similar question exists for organizations that strictly apply WADA's Code, as the Code expressly imposes an irrefutable presumption that an anti-doping violation has occurred wherever a Prohibited Substance or its metabolites are present in an athlete's sample. Nevada has no similar rule in its regulations.)

"Before" - The Fixed Interpretation

One might think that the obvious analog to marijuana is alcohol. The same regulatory provision that prohibits the administration of or use of marijuana also prohibits the administration of or use of alcohol (i.e. NAC 467.850(1)). In the case of each, the prohibition is on using "before or during" the contest or exhibition. If a fighter taking a drink seven days before a contest or exhibition has not used alcohol "before" the contest or exhibition, then we know that "before" denotes a time period of less than seven days. Perhaps it is substantially even less than that - two days, or maybe even 24 hours. If so, then "before" means just that for the purpose of all Prohibited Substances.

One could object as follows: The problem with this interpretation of "before" - where "before" denotes a fixed period of time applicable to all prohibited substances (the "Fixed Interpretation") - is that such interpretation fails in its treatment of prohibited substances that are performance enhancing. If "before" meant a fixed period of time (say, seven days, two days, or perhaps a day), then NAC 467.850(1) would permit fighters administering steroids, amongst other performance enhancers, up to seven/two/one day(s) in advance of a fight. And that is untenable.

The objection is partly misplaced. Steroids and many other performance enhancers are prohibited even out of competition - their use is prohibited at all times (unlike marijuana and alcohol). However, the objection correctly identifies that "before" must mean something different as applied to different prohibited substances, and this undermines the Fixed Interpretation. Also, the Fixed Interpretation is unable to distinguish between the consumption of different quantities of a given prohibited substance.

"Before": The Principled Interpretation

A better, more principled approach involves an examination of the rationale for the inclusion of a substance on the Prohibited List in the first place.

If we understood the rationale for inclusion of a substance on the Prohibited List, then that understanding should guide our understanding of the timing of its use that would justifiably be deemed to constitute an anti-doping violation. I refer to this as the "Principled Interpretation", as it interprets the meaning of the relevant anti-doping regulatory provision in light of its principled underlying rationale.

However, to apply the Principled Interpretation there is a preliminary question that must be answered: why is any substance included on the Prohibited List?

Criteria for Prohibited Substances: Application to Cannabinoids

Article 4.3.1 of WADA's Code provides that WADA is permitted to consider a substance for inclusion on the Prohibited List if WADA determines that a substance meets any two of the following three criteria:

1) the substance has the potential to enhance sport performance;
    2) the use of the substance represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete; and
    3) WADA has determined "that the Use of the substance or method violates the spirit of sport described in the Introduction to the Code."

The Principled Interpretation requires that we evaluate how these criteria apply to the class of prohibited substance under consideration - i.e. cannabinoids.

First, as a matter of common sense, we can knock (a) off the list immediately as entirely inapplicable.

Second, does (b) apply? Because WADA expressly permits marijuana use outside of competition, the only "actual or potential health risk to the athlete" engaged by this prohibited substance is "in competition" risk - i.e. an athlete competing under the psychoactive and physiological effects of marijuana. It follows that the rationale for inclusion of (b) in the List only justifies prohibition of cannabinoids immediately before a contest or exhibition.

That leaves the third condition, (c). This criterion is puzzling. On its face, "the spirit of sport" appears to be an empty place-holder, devoid of objective content, included only to serve as a vehicle for WADA to insert a non-evidence-based value judgment.
    Does WADA imbue "the spirit of sport" with any semantic content in its Introduction to the Code? WADA's attempts to do so are limited to describing the "spirit of sport" as, alternately:
    • "what is intrinsically valuable about sport";
    • "the essence of Olympism";
    • "how we play true"; and
    • "the celebration of the human spirit, body and mind".
    But this is just purporting to define one empty moralistic expression in terms of other, equally empty moralistic language.
    Perhaps one could reasonably say that, regardless of what "the spirit of sport" might mean, it might violate the spirit of sport to use a substance during competition that represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete. So, by virtue of one and the same underlying fact (the health risk to the athlete competing under influence of a substance with psychoactive and physiological effects), cannabinoids arguably satisfy two out of WADA's three criteria.

Cannabinoid use prohibited only in cases of in-competition psychoactive and physiological effect

The Principled Interpretation dictates the following conclusions:
    • Cannabinoids are included on the Prohibited List because competing while under the psychoactive and physiological effects of cannabinoids both:
      • represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete; and
      • violates the spirit of sport (in the limited sense noted above); and therefore:
    • A fighter administers or uses cannabinoids "before" a contest or exhibition, under NAC 467.850(1), only where he or she is under its psychoactive and physiological effects during the contest or exhibition.
    Marijuana metabolites are not evidence of an anti-doping violation
    If an athletic commission wishes to enforce this rule, then it must tailor a test that will determine whether a violation has actually occurred. As is widely known, urinalysis casts too wide a net to tell us this.

That cannabinoid metabolites are found in a fighter's sample is consistent with the fighter ceasing to use a month before, a week before, or a day in advance of the contest. Heavy users have been documented as testing positive over 46 days after the most recent use. (See, e.g., Ellis GM, Maun MA, Judson BA, et al. Excretion patterns of cannabinoid metabolites after last use in a group of chronic users. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1986;38:572-578; and Smith-Kielland A, Skuterud B, Morland J. Urinary excretion of 11-nor-9-carboxy-delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabinoids in frequent and infrequent drug users. J Anal Toxicol 1999; 23:323-332.) None of these time periods are instances of use "before or during" the contest - as the psychoactive and physiological effects of marijuana would no longer be in effect.

Accordingly, if the Nevada Athletic Commission's only basis for issuing a complaint against Nick Diaz is metabolites revealed by urinalysis of a sample collected on fight night, then it is unlikely the Commission has sufficient evidence to prove a violation under a Principled Interpretation of its regulations.

Even if the interpretation of Nevada's regulation mandated by the Principled Interpretation is mistaken, the rationale-based analysis is still intact. Any disciplinary action levied against Mr. Diaz would have no rational basis in the principles underlying a defensible anti-doping regime unless there is evidence Mr. Diaz was under the effects of marijuana on fight night.

Regulators and fight sport enthusiasts alike can, of course, hope and expect that Nevada's regulators do not slavishly adhere to their past practices and instead re-evaluate the need to interpret and apply their anti-doping rules in light of the rationale underlying a principled anti-doping regime.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC releases extended preview for UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson

NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Rolles Gracie vs. Bob Sapp One FC 2

NSCA - CSCS
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Phil Baroni

NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 144 Pride Style Preview

NSCA - CSCS
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Minowaman - Glory

NSCA - CSCS
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I just want to see Bob Sap win once lol

35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

You'd have to dig deep into the Pride library, lol.
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Sapp v Tamura. Sapp KO's Tamura within a minute.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Palhares Meets Belcher In Final UFC on Fox 3 Fight

The main card has now been filled. The final bout announced for the four fight televised card on May 5 will feature a middleweight showdown between Alan Belcher and ubmission specialist Rousimar Palhares. UFC President Dana White announced the match-up via Twitter on Monday. After nearly losing his fighting career to an eye injury, Alan Belcher came back in a big way in 2011 with a TKO win over veteran fighter Jason MacDonald last September at UFC Fight Night 25.

The win moved Belcher to 3-0 over his last three fights, and he appears on the verge of title contention. He’ll have no easy task ahead of him however when he returns in May. Leg-lock specialist Rousimar Palhares keeps proving everybody wrong that moves like heel hooks just don’t get pulled off that often in MMA. Palhares has finished four of his seven opponents in the UFC with the leg buckling submission, and maybe he’ll be looking for number five in May.

Training under legendary Brazilian coach Murilo Bustamante, Palhares may be the most devastating submission fighter in the UFC currently, and he will look to build upon that reputation facing Belcher at UFC on Fox 3.

For the first time since signing the historic TV deal, the UFC on Fox 3 card will feature four televised bouts during the 2-hour broadcast taking place on May 5 from the IZOD Center in New Jersey.
    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

The main card has now been filled. The final bout announced for the four fight televised card on May 5 will feature a middleweight showdown between Alan Belcher and ubmission specialist Rousimar Palhares. UFC President Dana White announced the match-up via Twitter on Monday. After nearly losing his fighting career to an eye injury, Alan Belcher came back in a big way in 2011 with a TKO win over veteran fighter Jason MacDonald last September at UFC Fight Night 25.

The win moved Belcher to 3-0 over his last three fights, and he appears on the verge of title contention. He’ll have no easy task ahead of him however when he returns in May. Leg-lock specialist Rousimar Palhares keeps proving everybody wrong that moves like heel hooks just don’t get pulled off that often in MMA. Palhares has finished four of his seven opponents in the UFC with the leg buckling submission, and maybe he’ll be looking for number five in May.

Training under legendary Brazilian coach Murilo Bustamante, Palhares may be the most devastating submission fighter in the UFC currently, and he will look to build upon that reputation facing Belcher at UFC on Fox 3.

For the first time since signing the historic TV deal, the UFC on Fox 3 card will feature four televised bouts during the 2-hour broadcast taking place on May 5 from the IZOD Center in New Jersey.
    Now this is a fight. Great stylistic matchup between a great striker and the best pure submission guy in the game. In a thin MW divison, the winner of this is probably 1 fight away from a title shot.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I like Palhares. I really like watching submission dominate fighters, who can actually finish in this day & age. Maia has lost his way and he wasn't ever really a beast per se. Palhares is a mash of everything I like to root for in a fighter. Beast looking, quasi-crazy, yet extremely technical.
    NSCA - CSCS
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I'd be up to see Diaz vs Sanchez 2.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM