Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 14 of 111 First ... 9121314151619 ... Last
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I hate to say this, but Bisping was actually really impressive against Chael.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I hate to say this, but Bisping was actually really impressive against Chael.
    Did Bisping look great, did Chael look bad or a combination of everything? It seemed like Chael's wrestling game was off, or, it could be that Bisping was doing an amazing job defending. By the start of the third round, I was still rooting for Chael, but really, I wanted the best fighter to advance to face Anderson, because the bigger picture for me is to have someone dethrone Andy and Bisping was looking pretty good compared to Chael. This weekend's version of Chael isn't going to last long against Andy, imo. Though it could be even more hopeless to think someone could beat Andy with a strategy of striking.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Also, as sharp as Rashad looked, I'm still heavily favoring JBJ, to my dismay.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Nick Diaz vs Carlos Condit PRO'S PICKS: Ellenberger, Rutten, Werdum....

NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Funny new Nick Diaz ad.

NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

The Gladiator retires - New opening debuts at UFC 143

For many years UFC fans have come to know what many call “The Gladiator Man.” This now famous introduction to all UFC pay-per-view events has become a staple for the promotion.

He has seen his time in the sport and he is now gone. UFC president Dana White announced recently that UFC 143 will bring in a new era to the UFC introduction sequence and the gladiator will no longer be a part of it.

Here is the report coming out of MixedMartialArts.com:

Tonight, UFC President Dana White revealed exclusively to the Underground that the opening sequence for its PPV broadcast has been redone and the new introduction will be revealed this Saturday for UFC 143. The event will feature Nick Diaz fighting Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight championship in the main event.

The opening sequence, which has shown a Roman gladiator preparing for battle has often been critiqued by fans and although the sequence hasn’t been used by the UFC on its FOX and Fuel TV broadcasts, it had been present as most recent as this past UFC 142.

To quote the UFC

President directly: “He’s been cut.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Jones opens as huge favorite over Evans

Now set to square off for the UFC’s light-heavyweight title in April, Jon Jones and Rashad Evans will finally get to settle their year-long grudge match.

Evans boasts one of the most impressive resumes and records in his division, with only one loss and victories over the likes of Chuck Liddell and Rampage Jackson he remains the rightful number two ranked 205’er.

Last weekend he fought the undefeated Phil Davis in a lopsided five-round fight that he won via unanimous decision but apparently his performance wasn’t enough to impress odds makers.

The betting line for this UFC 145 main event opened up last night and they have put Rashad in a major underdog role. It’s bad, it’s really bad. At six-to-one Jones is the huge betting favorite going into this fight, but should he be?

NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I was just glad I could watch it lol. These meds they have me on after my surgery make me go lights out. The evans match was good too.
    OG Avenger-HULK SMASHING TIME!
    Lecheek Nutrition/Genomyx REP

9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

That Diaz-Office Space ad was funny sh it. That was put together by some kid on youtube though no?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    That Diaz-Office Space ad was funny sh it. That was put together by some kid on youtube though no?
    That was pretty funny lol
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    I'm sure it was. Nick looked kind of swole though.
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by packers6211 View Post
    I was just glad I could watch it lol. These meds they have me on after my surgery make me go lights out. The evans match was good too.
    You holding up alright?
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah bro taking my meds only when needed. They gave me one for nausea that knocks me out, then they switched trying to get me to take dermarol but it did nothing. So I am taking the loricet plus and they help the most along with rest. He has me out of work this week, and maybe next. I can't drive til Friday which sucks lol. They took an inch of bone off my shoulder. I can do little movements like circular swings that he wanted me to do this weekend. I go to therapy tomorrow which i hear is a biatch. How's Jessica doing my friend? I prayed for her as promised. I hate being in the house with no gym for a while. At least it's done and nothing was torn from what dr said. I can lift arm for few seconds lil more then half way but thats it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    You holding up alright?

14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah bro taking my meds only when needed. They gave me one for nausea that knocks me out, then they switched trying to get me to take dermarol but it did nothing. So I am taking the loricet plus and they help the most along with rest. He has me out of work this week, and maybe next. I can't drive til Friday which sucks lol. They took an inch of bone off my shoulder. I can do little movements like circular swings that he wanted me to do this weekend. I go to therapy tomorrow which i hear is a biatch. How's Jessica doing my friend? I prayed for her as promised. I hate being in the house with no gym for a while. At least it's done and nothing was torn from what dr said. I can lift arm for few seconds lil more then half way but thats it for now.
    Her MRI didn't qualify her for knee surgery, which was a big disappointment, because she's still in constant pain, but that's the situation.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Forrest Griffin And Tito Ortiz Call Each Other Out

Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz have faced each other in the UFC Octagon twice already, but if the two have it their way they'll do it one more time. While Ortiz was able to earn a split decision victory in their first meeting at UFC 59, it was Forrest's ability to make it close that signaled to the world that he was ready to be more than just the guy who won The Ultimate Fighter. They would meet over three years later at UFC 106, this time with Forrest on the winning side of the split decision.

With Tito looking for one last UFC fight before calling it a career, he took to "Inside MMA" to issue the challenge: "Forrest, you know I deserve it, man. Step up. Let's do this. It's an awesome fight for you. I lost my last one. You lost your last one. Let's do this -- unless you're scared!"
    Griffin responded:

"He knows better than that. You know what's funny about me and Tito? The truth is we each consider the other an easy fight. For me, that's the perfect 'get right' fight. Coming back from a bad loss and beating Tito Ortiz up? No problem. For Tito, he's thinking, 'Forrest ain't that good. He's getting old, prematurely. This is a great way to go out, with a win over Forrest!' So, I think it's a beautiful match up because we both think of the other as an easy fight."

This is a bit of a sign that Forrest is likely approaching his final days in the cage as well. A win over Ortiz doesn't do much for his career, he already beat him in '09 and only has a win over a blown up Rich Franklin and a brutal KO loss to Mauricio Rua since then. Beating Ortiz again doesn't put him in the title hunt, but it's a "name fight" and the kind of thing that keeps him in the spotlight.

There are a lot of miles on Griffin's 32 year old body and we're a long way removed from a meaningful win over a top-tier light heavyweight (Franklin only beat a horribly shot Chuck Liddell to earn his spot in the rankings). I suppose a fight with Ortiz may be the best we can hope for at this point.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Alistair Overeem Charged With Battery After Incident With Woman Weekend Of UFC 141

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal UFC superstar Alistair Overeem has been charged with misdemeanor battery stemming from an altercation at Wynn Las Vegas over New Year's weekend. That would have been the period of time when Overeem was in town for his fight with Brock Lesnar at UFC 141. Overeem won that fight by first round TKO.

It appears that Overeem shoved a woman in the face and, while not arrested, was given a citation. He is scheduled to appear in court on February 21 and faces up to six months in a detention center and a $1,000 fine.

The UFC has not yet commented on the situation and I don't expect them to until after the court date passes and we see exactly what comes out of it.

I seriously doubt he gets 6 months and I don't have the knowledge to really understand how Overeem's nationality affects things.

I will say that, while I'm sure there's more to the story, I'd like to think that there is a way for a 6'5" 260+ pound professional fighter to handle a situation involving a woman that doesn't involve shoving or hitting. So, hopefully this turns out to be nothing.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Cesar Gracie: “I would advise Nick to not take another fight before the GSP fight…”

With UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre out until late 2012 while rehabbing an injured knee a question has surfaced surrounding the future of the division’s interim belt, a prize being fought over this weekend at UFC 143 between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit. Given the six-month minimum before St. Pierre is ready to train at full speed again, will Diaz-Condit defend the title before having a chance to claim undisputed status by facing GSP?

According to Diaz’s manager and head trainer, Cesar Gracie, the answer is “no” Gracie, who was careful to speak in hypothetical terms rather than disrespect Condit by assuming Diaz would exit with a victory, “If we’re fortunate and we win this fight, I would advise Nick to not take another fight before the GSP fight, unless it was maybe at a different weight class, because we wanna wait for (St. Pierre),” Gracie explained in an interview on The MMA Hour. Diaz has fought at heavier and lighter weights than his current home as a 170 pounder. While far from anything resembling a certainty, if Diaz were to take a swim in a different divisional pool it would likely be as a middleweight given his size.
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC on Fuel - Oliveira's Reverse Calf Slicer (Gracie Breakdown)

NSCA - CSCS
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz have faced each other in the UFC Octagon twice already, but if the two have it their way they'll do it one more time. While Ortiz was able to earn a split decision victory in their first meeting at UFC 59, it was Forrest's ability to make it close that signaled to the world that he was ready to be more than just the guy who won The Ultimate Fighter. They would meet over three years later at UFC 106, this time with Forrest on the winning side of the split decision.

With Tito looking for one last UFC fight before calling it a career, he took to "Inside MMA" to issue the challenge: "Forrest, you know I deserve it, man. Step up. Let's do this. It's an awesome fight for you. I lost my last one. You lost your last one. Let's do this -- unless you're scared!"
    Griffin responded:

"He knows better than that. You know what's funny about me and Tito? The truth is we each consider the other an easy fight. For me, that's the perfect 'get right' fight. Coming back from a bad loss and beating Tito Ortiz up? No problem. For Tito, he's thinking, 'Forrest ain't that good. He's getting old, prematurely. This is a great way to go out, with a win over Forrest!' So, I think it's a beautiful match up because we both think of the other as an easy fight."

This is a bit of a sign that Forrest is likely approaching his final days in the cage as well. A win over Ortiz doesn't do much for his career, he already beat him in '09 and only has a win over a blown up Rich Franklin and a brutal KO loss to Mauricio Rua since then. Beating Ortiz again doesn't put him in the title hunt, but it's a "name fight" and the kind of thing that keeps him in the spotlight.

There are a lot of miles on Griffin's 32 year old body and we're a long way removed from a meaningful win over a top-tier light heavyweight (Franklin only beat a horribly shot Chuck Liddell to earn his spot in the rankings). I suppose a fight with Ortiz may be the best we can hope for at this point.
    This is the only fight that makes sense for either of them as they both are at the end of their careers. Forrest has stated that fighting is no longer fun for him and Tito's body can't handle the grind anymore.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

16 Yr old Ryron Gracie takes on challenger

NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This is the only fight that makes sense for either of them as they both are at the end of their careers. Forrest has stated that fighting is no longer fun for him and Tito's body can't handle the grind anymore.
    I wonder if it's just coincidence that ever since the Anderson Silva fight, Forrest free falled downhill. Either that fight occurred right at the turning point where the sport started to pass him up, or the Andy fight irreparably traumatized his confidence and psyche. Maybe it was the perfect storm combination of the two.
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Kyra Gracie Uncovered - A Short Film (HD

NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC 143: Fabricio Werdum Warns Roy Nelson To Keep His Hands Up

Fabricio Werdum returns to the UFC at Saturday night's UFC 143 for the first time since losing to Junior dos Santos at UFC 90 in October of 2008. Werdum will square off with Roy Nelson in the night's co-main event in a fight that will elevate one man's stock and put them closer to title contention.

Werdum spoke to Globo recently and spoke about his plans to take the fight to Nelson (translation by Tom Mendes):

I can tell you that he'll need to keep his hands up, because a knockout might happen. He'll need to keep his hands way up, in high guard. I think I'll hit his legs a lot. Roy Nelson is very tough and can endure a lot of beating, he showed that against [Junior dos Santos], but there's always a weak spot. I'll try to look for that flaw during the fight. I think I will win with agility and mobility. I am well mentally, as well as physically, much faster and this will be determinant in this fight, due to the fact that he's slower, a fatty.

It will be a very strategic fight. It's my return to the UFC, it will be very important to me. When I have the opportunity to KO or submit, I will do it. I don't like to win by points, it happens sometimes, but my prevision is this: knockout or submission. The main thing is the victory. My mom always tells me that the important thing is to raise the arm in the end (laughs). The "fatty" line was said in a joking way, to be clear. It wasn't meant as a direct insult.

Nelson does leave some openings on the feet and we did see Werdum get some shots in on Alistair Overeem, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him want to turn this into a three round fight on the feet.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC 143: Georges St. Pierre explains his hatred for 'crazy' Nick Diaz

Angry champ is angry.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 170-pound kingpin Georges St. Pierre will be watching the UFC 143 welterweight Interim title fight between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit this weekend with vested interest.
    And not just because he fights the winner later this year.

St. Pierre wants Diaz to win -- at any and all costs. That way, he can get payback for the months of torment the outspoken Stockton slugger has put him though since they were originally booked to throw hands at UFC 137 last October.
    Hear "Rush" explain his "professional hatred" for Diaz after the jump.
    "I am very nervous that Carlos Condit will win on Saturday night, and that I won't be able to fight Nick Diaz this summer. I feel bad, it is weird that I want him to lose, but I have never wanted to fight anyone as much as I want to fight Diaz. I don't truly hate him as a person. I don't know that he is a bad guy, but I hate what he brings to the sport with the disrespect and the unprofessional things he says and does. It is sort of a professional hatred. He has been nothing but disrespectful and arrogant towards me. During UFC 137 (week) I felt like I had to walk around Las Vegas with my fists ready (to punch Diaz) because every time I came across him he wanted to fight there and then. Every time the elevator opened (in the hotel) I needed to be ready to fight in case he stepped in. I was on edge all week. This guy is crazy. I am used to hearing (smack) talk from opponents, Matt Serra did it, Dan Hardy did it, and Josh Koscheck did it, but with Diaz he has taken it to another level. He and his coach (Cesar Gracie) have called me a coward and tried to disrespect my accomplishments. All that has done though is make me determined to beat him up. He will bring out the best in me, I will be 100% focused, like a bomb-expert defusing a time bomb. When my back is against the wall and I have no choice but to win, when I cannot lose to this person under any cost, that is when I am most dangerous."
    St. Pierre was paired off with Diaz on two separate occasions, but a myriad of shenanigans on the part of the 209 bad boy, coupled with the Canadian's brittle knees, forced both pay-per-view (PPV) headliners to be scrapped in favor of opposite bookings.

Now, with Diaz and Condit set to establish a true division number one contender at the Mandalay Bay Events Center this Saturday night (Feb. 4) for the UFC 143 supershow in Las Vegas, Nevada, St. Pierre can zero in on his next opponent.

But will fighting angry cost him against Diaz? Or not fighting angry enough put him at a disadvantage if he fights "The Natural Born Killer?" There is no question that Nick Diaz is inside GSP's head.

How will it affect him when he finally returns to the Octagon?
    NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Georges St-Pierre: I Am Not the Champ Anymore

Georges St-Pierre can’t stand Nick Diaz.
    He can’t stand the way that Diaz disrespects him. He can’t stand the way that Diaz makes him feel like he has to be ready to fight at the drop of a hat, even when stepping off the elevator in Las Vegas. He can’t stand that he is actually rooting for Diaz to beat St-Pierre’s teammate Carlos Condit at UFC 143 on Saturday night.

Although they don’t train with one another, St-Pierre and Condit share many of the same training partners because of their association with coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn.

“I respect Carlos Condit, but I want Diaz to win. I want this fight with Diaz so badly, as badly as I wanted the title shot when I got down on my knees,” said St-Pierre. “He needs to hold up his part and beat Carlos Condit on Saturday to make this fight happen.”

St-Pierre was originally slated to fight Diaz at UFC 137 last October, but a slew of events derailed that fight. Initially, Diaz was pulled from the bout by UFC president Dana White for missing promotional obligations and several
    flights.

Condit, who was scheduled to fight B.J. Penn, was then put into the challenger’s role against St-Pierre, and Diaz demoted to co-main event status against Penn.

An injury to St-Pierre, however, put his fight off altogether, pushing Diaz vs. Penn into the headlining role.

Following some promotional politics, St-Pierre vs. Diaz was then slated for UFC 143 this weekend… until St-Pierre’s knee injury hit the
    point of no return, forcing him out again.

With St-Pierre having last fought in April 2011, and initially expected to be out until sometime around November, the UFC decided not only to put Condit in against Diaz, but also to make the fight for the interim UFC welterweight championship.

St-Pierre’s timeline has since been revised, however, leaving him chomping at the bit to get back in the Octagon.

“I am ahead of schedule. I can already train and even kick, but I am remaining calm and not rushing. I won’t train properly until July,” St-Pierre said of his rehab, which would put him in line for a late summer return instead of having to wait until the initial fall/winter timeline.

His time out of the Octagon and the interim designation aren’t taken lightly by St-Pierre, who now says he doesn’t even consider himself the UFC champion, although he’s not ready to secede the title to Saturday night’s winner, either.

“The way I see it, I am not the champion anymore on Saturday night. You have to put the belt on the line in order to call yourself champion, the best in the world. Right now, I am not the best in the world; I am injured,” he explained.

“The winner of this fight on Saturday will be more than just the new No.1 contender, but he won’t be the new champion either. The winner of this fight will have to beat me to become the true world champion and I will have to beat the winner of this fight in order to call myself the best in the world again. We have to beat each other to be the undisputed champion.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Matt Hughes expresses interest in fighting at least one more time

The MMA world has an answer from on-the fence welterweight Matt Hughes regarding the former UFC champion’s future in the Octagon. The 38-year old had weighed retirement after being knocked out in the opening round of his last two fights, the most recent instance coming in September against Josh Koscheck who put him
    away with a single second remaining in the first frame.

However, struggles aside, it looks like Hughes will indeed be back inside the Octagon at some point in 2012 after deciding to give it a go at least one more time.

Hughes’ announced his intent last weekend on Fuel TV during the network’s coverage of UFC on FOX 2.
    “My wife’s a great lady, but she’s not going to tell me when Matt Hughes retires,” Hughes explained while saying the final say would ultimately be come from UFC President Dana White.

Hughes continued on to say he wasn’t targeting anyone specifically though British striker Dan Hardy has expressed an interest in fighting Hughes and the two have exchanged barbs online.
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Fedor and Chan Sung Jung sparred on Korean TV

NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Anderson Silva comments on Chael Sonnen winning

We got to hear Jonny Bones Jones talk about how excited he is to fight Rashad Evans, and it was probably the only time during the FOX broadcast where he didn't sound like a dyslexic robot. Nowhere to be seen was Anderson Silva, but he did hit twitter up afterwards and boy does he sound excited to fight Chael Sonnen:

Just after Sonnen won his fight last night, Silva took to Twitter:

“If you cannot understand that heaven should be within you, there is no point in searching for it above the clouds and beside the stars,” was the Spider’s enigmatic tweet.

Not long later he was more straightforward:

“As hard as I try, I am not the best, but I am capable of doing what so many think impossible. I’ll do my job like I always do. And above all, I will honor my team, my family, and my Brazil.”

I don't know who's more crazy, Chael or Anderson.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones wanted to fight at heavyweight in 2012, Dana White said no

"I think you know, i figured beating Henderson and Rashad, there would be a period of trying to figure out who I would fight next, and during that period, at the end of 2012, I requested to fight a top 10 heavyweight just for the fans. But Dana and Lorenzo did not think that was the best thing for me to do right now, they wanted me to continue in the light heavyweight division.

-- If you dreamed of seeing Jon Jones fight at heavyweight, keep dreaming. That's because the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion today (Jan. 30, 2012) revealed on The MMA Hour that his request to fight in the promotion's heavyweight division against a top-ranked opponent -- in what he described a "fight for the fans" -- has been shot down by UFC President Dana White and company CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. Jones, who has ransacked through the 205-pound division with relative ease, would be a natural fit with the big boys of the UFC, given the fact that he stands at 6' 4" and usually towers and outweighs his light heavyweight counterparts come fight night. Perhaps some other time, seeing as how White and Fertitta aren't to keen on the idea of their 205-pound champion stepping up in weight class, at least not at the moment. Of course, before "Bones" can even think about jumping in weight, there is still a matter of defending his title against his bitter ***** Rashad Evans, which is scheduled to go down at UFC 145 in Atlanta, Ga., on April 21, 2012. Should he be successful, Dan Henderson is expected to be his next opponent. Disappointed at the news that UFC officials axed Jones' request to mix it up at heavyweight? How would he fair against bigger opponents?
    NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I just don't understand how Forrest lost his mojo or his "glow" (Last Dragon). He's had fights against tough people but it seems like people that came from PRIDE had much more physical damage and longer careers and yet still fight whether successful or not. Did he go soft from partying or just earned enough money that he has no drive anymore? Did AS break his spirit completely? He'd of been a great champion personality wise. Unfortunately not skill wise.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

So if Forrest and Tito have a rematch....who wins? lol

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Forrest imo but that because A I actually like Forrest and B I absolutley dispise Tito the biacth cry baby Ortiz.

33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Forrest imo but that because A I actually like Forrest and B I absolutley dispise Tito the biacth cry baby Ortiz.
    LOL yeah tito is known for excuses.

I can't stand Sonnen tho, just the way he has been acting, the whole WWE talking crap..... I'm not an Anderson fan, but this time I will be going for him.

34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

After 62 Straight Kickboxing and MMA Wins, Stephen Thompson Makes UFC Debut

The numbers are something out of a video game or a movie or someone's imagination. In amateur kickboxing, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson was 37-0. As a pro kickboxer, 20-0. As a professional mixed martial artist, he's 5-0 so far. That's 62 straight fights without a loss.

But it's no facade, and his record is no product of fishy matchmaking. In fact, despite his newness on the MMA scene, he's already wowed some of this sports' brightest minds. Georges St-Pierre's trainer Firas Zahabi recently called Thompson "definitely the best karate guy, the best striker I've ever seen, all around in any sport."

The welterweight brings his exceptional record to this weekend's UFC 143, where he faces fellow octagon rookie Daniel Stittgen, hoping to extend his ridiculous streak.

The remarkable run is the result of a lifetime spent in the martial arts. Ask him about the last time he lost a fight in competition and he has to scan his memory, traveling more than a decade back into the 1990s, when he was a 12-year-old on the karate tournament circuit.

"Honestly, I did hundreds and hundreds of them, and I probably lost every one of them," he said. "I maybe won one time. I would get my butt tore up. I remember that like it was yesterday. So I learned as a young kid to keep my chin up and keep training hard. I know what losing feels like and I don't want to do it again. That's what pushes me now."

His experiences as a youth didn't just supply the drive for his current success, they also provided his "Wonderboy" moniker. Given his resume, you might guess that it stems from his remarkable success as a fighter, but you would be wrong. Instead, he got pegged with the name back in elementary school, when he was known for singing and dancing, and got tagged by his sister's boyfriend as "Stevie Wonder," later altered to "Wonderboy."

Regardless of the origins, the label proved prophetic. As Thompson's record suggests, he's been a phenom on the combat sports scene for years.

Now 28 years old, Thompson aims to prove he is much more than a standup artist. He has a black belt in Japanese jiu-jitsu, trains Brazilian jiu-jitsu under his brother-in-law, eighth-degree black belt Carlos Machado, and says his wrestling is his second strongest skill behind his striking.

"I've had many fights, but this is the biggest stage I've ever fought in," he said. "The UFC is the best. They're it. I'm glad to have the privilege to come in and fight there. Nerves will play a big part, but if you're not nervous going into a fight, you shouldn't be out there."

Thompson started in the martial arts at three years old, training under his father, Ray, who owns a karate studio in Simpsonville, South Carolina. But it wasn't always a love affair. By around the age of 10 or 11, the flame had burned out. While his friends were playing baseball and football, Thompson found himself constantly stuck at the dojo.

He trained there. He ate there. He did his homework there. "As I got to that age, doing it all the time was like work," he said. "It wasn't fun anymore. But one day, the light bulb clicked in my head, and I got it."

Thompson was around 12 at that time, working out in adult classes. By the time he was 15, he was making his amateur debut, inspired in part by his older sister Lindsay, who he often watched compete and aimed to emulate.

He did her proud, defeating an unbeaten 26-year-old en route to 37 straight victories. His biggest personal highlight came in 2005, when he captured a World Association of Kickboxing Organizations championship at a tournament held in Szeged, Hungary, becoming the first American to win a gold in the tournament since 1983. But even as Thompson succeeded -- 46 of his 57 career wins were by KO -- he was hit by the nagging feeling that kickboxing wasn't really going anywhere. Coupled with his own personal aspirations, he knew a move to MMA was in his future.

"My goal was always to be the best fighter, and in order to do that, I was going to have to switch to MMA and use these skills that I've been working on ever since I was younger but never got to use in competition," he said.

Thompson's move was delayed by a devastating knee injury in 2007 that saw him tear the ACL, MCL and PCL in his left knee. Later on, he suffered another setback, hurting the same knee after trying to do too much, too soon.

Upon returning, Thompson began training with some of the world's best MMA minds, including St-Pierre. Years prior, GSP had been in the corner of a Thompson opponent, only to watch "Wonderboy" KO his friend. The camps stayed in contact and GSP has since called on Thompson several times to assist in his camp.

"It does give you a lot of confidence going into fights," he said. "When you're up there and going toe-to-toe with the world's best -- and I know I still have a long way to get to where he is when it comes to wrestling and jiu-jitsu -- but it definitely gives me a mental advantage going into fights."

In his octagon debut, he faces Stittgen (7-1), another UFC newcomer who has earned five of his wins by submission. Thompson said that he expects his opponents to want no part of his standup and look to take the fight to the mat at the first available opportunity. But he trusts his wrestling to keep him upright, saying that it's always been a point of emphasis in training as a way to keep himself in an advantageous position.

And more than that, he trust his fight instincts. Thompson's record doesn't just suggest he is a winner, it proves it beyond any doubt. The streak may be in jeopardy every time he fights, but like most winners, "Wonderboy" doesn't spend much time thinking about what he has already done. Every fight is a new experience, providing a new lesson.

"People always ask me what will happen if I lose, and I never really thought about it until they asked me," he said. "If I do lose, it will just give me a stronger drive to train harder. I know guys are out here to rip my head off and trip me up. But coming from my background almost gives me an advantage because I know guys are going to want to take me down. Everyone out there can look for an exciting fight, and it's going to be another knockout."
    NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC 143: The Contradictory Marketing Of Nick Diaz And How The Reem May Not Be As Awes

UFC 143: The Contradictory Marketing Of Nick Diaz And How The Reem May Not Be As Awesome As You Think

I've got to come off like that just to get a fight. You're going to point the finger, make me the bad guy. I'm the bad guy. Now I get a fight. The only reason why I'm getting this fight is because everybody wants to see me take an a**-whipping right about now. - Nick Diaz

People like stories. We always have and our attention generally gravitates towards the better storytellers among us - musicians, long-running television shows, hit movies, teenage angst novelists and so on. However, in the midst of all this story-consuming, we forget sometimes that each of these storytellers is attempting to assemble some kind of narrative that the public at large can jump on and devour. These people are not necessarily trying to tell us the most accurate story or the best story possible; they want to put out the story that makes the most money for the storytellers.

This motive is the entire raison d'etre for having anything besides public access television on our screens at all: having a compelling narrative means people pay attention and when people pay attention, allowing advertisers to sell stuff equals money pouring in. The prevalence of this "compelling story = money" mode of thought has gotten so embedded into our culture that it is hard to prevent ourselves from the risky behavior of constantly constructing stories around certain facts - what I call the creation of a narrative or storyline- and then cherry-picking facts and signs to fit within that narrative. We run the risk of ignoring reality and the possible presence of facts that do not fit the narrative and yet the audience and the media keep building stories like how Sports Player X is "clutch" or that Steve Jobs was the next thing to a god on Earth.

For whatever reasons, the stories we flip out over are rooted in conflict - which meshes well with live sports and mixed martial arts in particular. It is hard to get a more direct conflict than to have two people in a cage trying to beat each other up for pride, fame and fortune. That may very well be the essential appeal of the sport. The format of mixed martial arts at the highest levels lends itself readily to any storyline that the quartet of promoters, fighters, media and fans can make sticky - or memorable to the largest audience possible.

So how do you sell Nick Diaz? Or Carlos Condit? Are they easily reduced to straightforward protagonist/antagonist roles and readily served up in bite-sized promo videos? Is doing the Countdown trash-talking and mean-mugging the best way to sell fights or can we shift to the Primetimes and independent serial videos like The Reem (despite their associated problems)?
    SBN coverage of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit

From a lifetime of observing and consuming these narratives in all forms, I can tell you that what really gets the gears going is when we see a hero fight a villain. The problem is that in elite mixed martial arts, there are no real heroes or villains. Everybody at the highest levels is already a somewhat similar combination of unusual talent and relentless dedication to self-improvement with plenty of ruthless dispatching of skilled opponents already in their past. Nobody stepping into the cage these days is a fat, grizzled felon who savaged their way to the top. We do not have the avatar of a monolithic Cold War side like Alexander Karelin to root against. The differences between fighters is more subtle these days and that makes marketing a bit more difficult.

At this point, The Reem might be the most loved video serial in MMA. It does a brilliant job of marketing Alistair Overeem too. Eldar Gross and Fabrice Deters have nearly un*****ed access to a prominent fighter and their videos impart a sense of urgency and impending superstardom to the recent happenings in Overeem's career. But what happens if the upcoming title bout against Junior dos Santos fizzles as a PPV or if Alistair loses? Is the narrative wrecked? Or do they gloss over and/or ignore those inconvenient facts like they did with the Golden Glory split, the Strikeforce non-fighting, or the various nightclub incidents that Overeem has been in over the years? I see the appeal of The Reem, but I do not trust it fully and the words of Bas Rutten, who has been critical at times, and others only serve to reinforce that attitude. Plus, I suspect that the videos could be done better.

From a videography point of view, the decision to make The Reem almost entirely in black and white is a curious one. This is not the mid-90's. Gross and Deters are not using film stock. The lighting seems to be relatively controlled despite the wide variance in conditions and locations. Perhaps what really drives the choice is the desire to appear "historic" - which is exactly what the narrative of The Reem is trying to sell: Alistair Overeem's historic rise to the top of the various combat sports he participates in.

While I enjoy most of the music choices within The Reem, the soundtrack would never survive a first look at the potential copyright clearance budget. This video series is never going to be pieced together and released in a longer form that is as that we experience it now. What's more is that despite the Reem team's attempt to not use too much UFC footage (see the multiple jumps between video sources for the Brock Lesnar fight), Zuffa might have some qualms about such commercial usage of their product.

All of that combines to drop The Reem down my list of favored combat sports narratives. At the same time, it opens the door for lesser knowns like Stuart Cooper and for random self-released videos like those of Jon Fitch and Pat Barry.

Cooper, the British videographer, recently released The Rise of Toquinho, which was in full color, showed rare glimpses of training footage and had extended interviews with newsworthy figures in the life of Rousimar Palhares - all without music copyright violations or going all greyscale on us. Unfortunately, Cooper's last two videos - the Evolution of BJJ for Braulio Estima, the reigning ADCC Superfight champion, and Jeff Monson's Time for a Change - have gone greyscale (perhaps in response to The Reem). Given Cooper's access and connections, I would not be surprised if Cooper works with more fighters like Rafael dos Anjos to make more "Road to [Fight[" serials.

How many of you saw the Pat Barry/Cro Cop singalong video? Jon Fitch chopping down the tree with his shin? These two fighters are perhaps the best at showing the randomity of life beyond the training and the cage. However, the audience has responded much more viscerally to Barry for whatever reasons - perhaps for his back and forth fights - and the sly humor of Fitch goes almost unnoticed. Seriously, why isn't Fitch and Dave Camarillo playing Skyrim and interacting with fans in a surprisingly honest way a bigger deal? My point is that the fighters themselves, with their Twitter accounts, video cameras and easy access to fans, have the power to build their own narratives and Overeem and Barry seem to be connecting well with people despite using very different approaches.

Very few people lead simple enough lives to be fully encapsulated by a 30 second promo video. Nick Diaz certainly is not one of them, but his aggressive and insolent fight style lends itself well to snap judgments that go against his perceived character. His in-fight trash talking and unorthodox style fit the role of an antagonist better than anyone in recent MMA history. The promotional videos have made full use of this heel bonanza and the media frustrations with getting Nick to open up or to turn down his ornerniness level have led to a self-perpetuating cycle in which Nick believes everyone is making him out to be the bad guy and he is made out to be the bad guy because he rarely ever lets people see his good side or his interests outside of fighting and repping the difficulties of life in Stockton or Lodi, California.

The missed press conference appearances, the unwillingness to talk to anyone outside his group of trusted friends and family and the occasional cuss word directed at a nameless or faceless audience that hates him or wants to see him lose all perpetuate this cycle. When other fighters jump on the "Nick Diaz is a bad guy" bandwagon, as GSP did, the resulting media attention probably drives Diaz nuts.

This is where the Primetime series comes in - those videos are the single best chances for Nick to show that he is a multifaceted person who deserves to be spoken of with the same respect a "true" mixed martial arts athlete gets. Unfortunately, Nick doesn't care. The lack of give from Nick means that the people behind the Primetime series are having trouble constructing an easy-to-latch-onto narrative for Nick, so they try to split the difference and hope something sticks. Thus we get contradictions like Cesar Gracie telling us with those cold blue eyes that "Nick does not enjoy hurting people" while earlier, the narrator extolls Nick's brutal fight-winning patterns. What Cesar is telling us may be the truth, but it doesn't fit the narrative well and probably would have been left on the cutting room floor by a more unscrupulous editor. At least we have Nick as the bad boy to fall back on.

The same thing is happening with Carlos Condit. His career has been primarily one of knocking people out or submitting them, often after a slow start and putting his all into highly entertaining bouts. Yet, he is not a mega-star within the promotion and his personal life is as diverse and unreducable as Nick's is. The Primetime folks have yet to figure out how to reduce Condit to something easily digestible. The nickname has never fit and seeing Condit do grown-up things like renovate a house and keep strong ties with his extended family only serves to diffuse the narrative into a nearly incoherent mush.

Perhaps the approach of GSP is better: show nobody any hint of a personal life and focus all public attention on the incessant pursuit of mixed martial arts like some sort of real world Ivan Drago. The only problem with that is that the storyline is completely manufactured and the audience can turn on those Potemkin narratives as they do all the time in pro wrestling and other sports.

The careers of both Condit and Diaz are littered with Fight of the Year contenders and nearly every performance both have put on in the last three years has been stellar, savage and hopefully star-making because both fight in a way that MMA fans seem to gravitate towards (primarily stand-up, but gets a high number of finishes on the ground or standing). The problem with these two is that to reach the next level of visibility and stardom, they themselves have to get involved in and comfortable with creating narratives that the masses can understand - or become Brock Lesnar. I suspect that shift in attitude will never happen with Diaz and the jury is still out on Condit waking up in that respect.

Lest I seem facetious, I admit that creating a narrative with true stickiness is tough and the competing narratives put out by the aforementioned quartet can clash or blend to become a babble few pay attention to. Some narratives are more successful than others and short taglines and videos seem to dominate the format of the most effective pitches. Thus it is understandable that the biggest MMA promotions in the world try so very hard to attach some set of easily recognizable storylines to each event and record hype videos. Remember those taglines attached to the early numbered UFCs1?

The tagline for UFC 143 should be "Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit". However, it is coming off more and more like "The next guy to fight GSP".

UFC 26: Ultimate Field of Dreams is my favorite, as it conjures up the bizarre mental image of some kind of event held in a cornfield where the bloody spikes of Ty Cobb would have been perfectly at home.
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Mike Tyson on MMA and Fedor - Insde MMA Exclusive

NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

GSP talks UFC 143

Las Vegas, Nevada – On Saturday night, live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, elite welterweights Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit will collide for the interim UFC 170lbs championship.

UFC superstar Georges St-Pierre will be a very interested – and conflicted – ringside observer to the UFC 143 main event. ‘GSP’ has been the undisputed welterweight king since the spring of 2008, but knee injuries have forced him to withdraw from scheduled bouts with both Condit and Diaz and so he must sit on the sidelines while the pair stake a claim to his crown.

Expected to return to the Octagon™ perhaps as early as the summer, St-Pierre had this to say:

CHEERING FOR THE ENEMY
    “I respect Carlos Condit, but I want Diaz to win. It will be a weird feeling, sitting at the Mandalay Bay wanting Nick Diaz to win. I want this fight with Diaz so badly, as badly as I wanted the title shot when I got down on my knees. I have never asked (UFC President) Dana White for anything, but I did ask to fight Nick Diaz. I was (crushed) when I had to pull out of this weekend’s fight hurt, but I am determined to get back to the Octagon as soon as possible to fight this guy. He needs to hold up his part and beat Carlos Condit on Saturday to make this fight happen.

ON HIS FEARS CONDIT WILL WIN
    “I am very nervous that Carlos Condit will win on Saturday night, and that I won’t be able to fight Nick Diaz this summer. Carlos Condit is a very good fighter, he can strike, he is aggressive and he has submissions. He has been very impressive and is the type of fighter who gets better and better the more confident he gets.

I am not personal friends with him but I know him a little and he’s a great person. I know a lot of people who know him well because we train with the same people, but I have only spoken with him a few times. He is a true mixed martial artist. I feel bad, it is weird that I want him to lose, but I have never wanted to fight anyone as much as I want to fight Diaz.”

ON DANA WHITE’S COMMENT THAT GSP ‘HATES’ DIAZ
    “I don’t truly hate him as a person. I don’t know that he is a bad guy, but I hate what he brings to the sport with the disrespect and the unprofessional things he says and does. It is sort of a professional hatred. He has been nothing but disrespectful and arrogant towards me. During UFC 137 (week) I felt like I had to walk around Las Vegas with my fists ready (to punch Diaz) because every time I came across him he wanted to fight there and then. Every time the elevator opened (in the hotel) I needed to be ready to fight in case he stepped in. I was on edge all week. This guy is crazy.

I am used to hearing (smack) talk from opponents, Matt Serra did it, Dan Hardy did it, and Josh Koscheck did it, but with Diaz he has taken it to another level. He and his coach (Cesar Gracie) have called me a coward and tried to disrespect my accomplishments.

All that has done though is make me determined to beat him up. He will bring out the best in me, I will be 100% focused, like a bomb-expert defusing a time bomb. When my back is against the wall and I have no choice but to win, when I cannot lose to this person under any cost, that is when I am most dangerous.

Also, as champion, I believe Diaz deserves the fight for the title. Style-wise, he is a very tough match for me and the fans deserve to see the fight they really want to see.”

ON WHETHER THE ‘INTERIM’ CHAMP WILL BE THE REAL CHAMP
    “The way I see it, I am not the champion anymore on Saturday night. I have not fought since April, against my will, but I understand the champion must fight. You have to put the belt on the line in order to call yourself champion, the best in the world. Right now I am not the best in the world, I am injured. The winner of this fight on Saturday will be more than just the new No.1 contender, but he won’t be the new champion either. The winner of this fight will have to beat me to become the true world champion and I will have to beat the winner of this fight in order to call myself the best in the world again.

I like the format where the winner of this fight will have to fight me and I have to fight the winner to truly become the UFC champion. That is what the UFC is about, that is competition. This is fair to all of us, we have to beat each other to be the undisputed champion.”

ON DIAZ’S DOMINATING WIN OVER BJ PENN
    “He was very impressive. Nick Diaz’s boxing is very strong; he could be the best boxer in the UFC. I don’t want to be seen to be advising any other fighter how to win a fight, but if Diaz does what he does best then he should win this fight on Saturday. It is a very close fight though.”

ON HIS RIGHT KNEE INJURY AND REHAB
    “I am ahead of schedule. I can already train and even kick but I am remaining calm and not rushing. I won’t train properly until July, it is a matter of discipline not to force my knee to go harder than it can heal. No athlete wants to sit on the sidelines, especially when you are the champion and you must watch two others fight for the interim championship belt. I will watch on Saturday and go home very motivated to rehab on Monday morning but I must be disciplined and I must continue to rehab at the pace I am doing.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Shogun vs Hendo | Infinite Warriors

NSCA - CSCS
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

CHEERING FOR THE ENEMY
    “I respect Carlos Condit, but I want Diaz to win..."

Is anyone beside Condit's wife and family rooting for him?? LOL I bet even Greg Jackson is like please don't let my boy win
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I hope Nick takes it.
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM