Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 13 of 111 First ... 8111213141518 ... Last
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I agree Jim Miller is at the top of his division, a loss to Ben Henderson is nothing to shake a stick at, but Guillard is coming off two straight losses and his last by a middle of the pack fighter, Joe Lauzon, so to call himself the best at this point was a bit too arrogant and/or delusional.
    Miller's losses are to the #1, 3, and 4 LWs in the world; that's nothing to be ashamed of for any fighter.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Miller's losses are to the #1, 3, and 4 LWs in the world; that's nothing to be ashamed of for any fighter.
    I'm good with Miller, I was making a comment toward Melvin Guillard really.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Condit seemed a lot scarier in the WEC with his shaved head. When he talks about putting someone to sleep in that voice I think, yeah right pretty boy. Just basing completely off sound and looks though. He's proven that he can do it given the right opponent.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I'm good with Miller, I was making a comment toward Melvin Guillard really.
    I know you were speaking about Guillard as he always considers himself to be the creme of the division and Miller doesn't say too much. It's just amazing that Guillard can never put it all together: all the physical tools in the world, but poor discipline and intelligence.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I think I may cheer for nick on this fight.......
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I think I may cheer for nick on this fight.......
    You're not the only one.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Via Dana White's Twitter

danawhiteDana White

Our 3rd FOX fight May 5th at the IZOD Center in New Jersey will feature Nate Diaz vs Jim Miller!!! Nate = 3 sub and 5 FON Jim = 3 SON!!

2 hours ago
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Wow, Nate vs Jim Miller. 6 months to a year ago I would have favored Jim Miller HEAVILY, but based on the most recent performances of Nate Diaz, I'm torn, perhaps even favoring Nate.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

danawhiteDana White

Our 3rd FOX fight May 5th at the IZOD Center in New Jersey will feature Nate Diaz vs Jim Miller!!! Nate = 3 sub and 5 FON Jim = 3 SON!!

2 hours ago
    At first I thought I read Nick I was like um........wtf

Yeah I'm on the same boat as you, I think Nick will have the edge on that fight now.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Phil Davis Confident a Jon Jones Fight Would Go His Way

CHICAGO -- Three days out from his main event battle with Rashad Evans on Saturday night, Phil Davis was brimming with confidence. And not just about how he matches up with Evans.

In addition to explaining why he thinks he's going to come out on top against Evans, Davis also said he believes that he would beat the man at the top of the light heavyweight division, Jon Jones.

"I think a fight with me and Jon would go like any other fight I've had," Davis said.

When I asked him if that meant he would win, Davis answered, "I am undefeated."

Davis said he's aware that Jones has said publicly that he's expecting Evans to win on Saturday night, and therefore earn a title shot. But Davis said he's not particularly concerned about Jones's opinions, and that he expects to show on Saturday night that he's the most worthy future opponent to Jones, who has looked practically unbeatable in running through the UFC light heavyweight division.

More: UFC on FOX 2 Fight

Card | UFC on FOX 2 Results

As for Saturday's fight with Evans, Davis noted that his own credentials as an NCAA champion at Penn State dwarf the wrestling accomplishments of Evans at Michigan State, and he said he expects to be the one who's in control throughout their fight on Saturday
    night.

"I'm the man who determines what happens," Davis said.

Davis hasn't fought since his unanimous decision victory over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in March, and he said he has improved so much in the gym since then that Evans will be seeing a completely different fighter.

"Truthfully, he has no idea," Davis said. "I haven't fought in a year and a lot can change in a year's time. I'm very young in my career, and the last time I fought I knew a lot less about my style of fighting, and Rashad Evans knows even less about my style as a fighter. He has no idea what to expect. He doesn't know my wrestling, he doesn't know my standing, he doesn't know."

In addition to that wrestling advantage, Davis said he believes his time in the gym has made him a better stand-up fighter than he was when he faced Nogueira.

"He might have out-struck me a year ago," Davis said. "I'm planning on him not being able to stop a lot of the things I do well. ... My game has come a long way since my fight with Nogueira, and I'm anxious for people to see how far I've come since my time off."

If Davis has come far enough that he can beat Evans, then Jones might be next.
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Chael Sonnen: Motivational Speaker

NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Anyone interested and/or have predictions on George Roop vs Cub Swanson? I know its very undercard, but both are heavy on the muay thai stand up.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Anyone interested and/or have predictions on George Roop vs Cub Swanson? I know its very undercard, but both are heavy on the muay thai stand up.
    I think George Roop will take it.

14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dana White Challenges Hackers, Hackers Release White's Personal Information

It's been an interesting night in Twitterland with Dana White being challenged about the UFC's support of SOPA and responding with the same old statements about people stealing from the business he helped grow. The situation went south quickly with "Josh The God" (the guy from UGNazi who carried out the attack on the UFC.com website) saying that they were now going after Dana himself rather than the website.

As Dana continued to talk about terrorist hackers and pirates (including a line of "I'm rite here"), there were continued suggestions that something big was about to happen. And then a tweet went out with a link sharing all of Dana White's personal information. That means his social security number, addresses dating back to 1997 and criminal record.

This is an ugly battle and the more you do to try to fight back against them, the more it entices the rest of their "community" to come at you. This was a major shot by this group and Dana can not be pleased.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Fedor Emelianenko sitting out until summertime

The spurt of activity from heavyweight great Fedor Emelianenko towards the close of 2011 gave fans hope that “The Last Emperor” may have finally returned to his throne, poising himself for a solid 2012 after winning fights against Jeff Monson and Satoshi Ishii in November/December. However, it looks like Emelianenko intends to take a solid chunk of time off before eventually returning to the ring this summer.
    The 35-year old icon’s plans were revealed earlier today in an email to USA Today from M-1 Global representative Evgeni Kogan.
    As far as a specific date or location, Kogan explained that Emelianenko’s home-country of Russia was being considered, as was Monaco. Beyond general information, little else was offered other than that a rumored bout between the former PRIDE champion and Bobby Lashley was far from materializing.

Emelianenko’s wins over Monson/Ishii both brought back memories of his better days after the formerly unbeatable Russian lost three fights in a row while under the Strikeforce banner. Among the many notable victories on the 33-4 legend’s record are those over Mirko Filipovic, Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Phil Davis: “He’s not as good as he thinks he is, and I am better than he thinks I am

Undefeated light heavyweight prospect Phil Davis could vault himself into title contention this Saturday night when he meets Rashad Evans in the main event of UFC on FOX 2. While some may feel like all of this is too much for “Mr. Wonderful” to fully grasp, the former Penn State University wrestling standout believes he will be able to handle the pressure quite well.
    Davis, who is 9-0 in his MMA career, will face his stiffest challenge in Evans, a former UFC light heavyweight champ that has held the title of #1 contender for well over a year.

“Yes, I have only nine proper MMA fights, but the inexperience thing isn’t an issue,” said Davis, during a recent press conference promoting UFC on FOX 2. “I am less experienced than every single guy I’ve faced, and I am unbeaten.”
    As far as Davis is concerned, he is as experienced as any other fighter in one key area: winning. “I am experienced at winning, and that’s what really matters, and I ‘m going to experience winning again on FOX.”
    The war of words between Davis and “Suga” has been interesting to say the least, as Evans is also a former college wrestling standout at Michigan State University – a Big Ten ***** of Penn State’s. When the final bell sounds Saturday night in Chicago, the two may have respect for each other, but until that time, it is all hatred.

“He’s delusional. If he things he’s going to out-wrestle or intimidate me, he’s in for a shock Saturday night,” Davis said. “He’s not as good as he things he is, and I am better than he thinks I am. He thinks he’s a better wrestler than me, crazy. I would beat him 100 times out of 100. He was something like .500 in won/losses in wrestling. I was a champion; he just competed.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Carlos Condit: “I’m a more technical fighter than Diaz.”

While this weekend’s event on FOX is certainly deserving of attention, the reality is the match-up UFC fans are truly thirsting for will take place on Super Bowl Weekend when Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz duke it out at UFC 143 for the right to be called an interim champion. While the trash-talk has been minimal between the two welterweights during the build up to their bout based on mutual respect, that’s not to say each man isn’t supremely sure of himself when it comes to exiting the Octagon with a victory on February 4.
    Diaz and Condit spoke about their upcoming fight in an extended preview for the PPV where the “Natural Born Killer” made it clear he feels he has an advantage over Diaz in all areas, especially when it comes to striking.

“I feel like I’m a more technical fighter than Diaz,” Condit explained when asked about how he compared to the former Strikeforce title-holder. “I have more weapons in my arsenal. I just bring some different stuff to the table.”

“He can take a good shot but can he take knees? Is he going to be able to take elbows? It’s a different when it’s a shin across your face,” he continued.

Getting word of Condit’s statements, Diaz replied, “That’s a nice thought, right? Go out there and throw some kicks and some elbows, some knees, and win the fight. Can you get that stuff off when you’re running backwards?”

While the outcome may be in question there’s no doubt Condit-Diaz should deliver a “Fight of the Year” candidate when they clash in the cage. Condit has finished 26 of the 27 opponents he’s beaten while Diaz has racked up stoppages in 21 of 26 total victories.

NSCA - CSCS
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

The Evans vs Davis fight is a tough one to call.

19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    The Evans vs Davis fight is a tough one to call.
    It really is and it has the whole Brock/Overeem element to it for me in the sense that, I like Phil Davis more then Rashad, like I liked Brock more Overeem, but I want to see Rashad go on to fight JBJ, so I want to root for Phil Davis to beat Rashad, but I'd rather see Rashad fight JBJ.

That said, I'm favoring Rashad. I think Rashad has the superior stand up and I think Rashad's wrestling could match Davis' wrestling.
    NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Lyoto Machida interested in fight with Dan Henderson

With Rashad Evans a win away from earning his long awaited shot at Jon Jones’ title it seems fellow top contender, Dan Henderson, could be left in limbo if things play out as expected. However, at least one 205er has stepped up to say he’s interested in fighting the legendary light heavyweight if that’s the case – Lyoto Machida.
    Machida expressed his desire to hook up with “Hendo” in a recent interview where he also reaffirmed the possibility of dropping to middleweight in the near future.

When asked about Henderson in an interview with Sherdog, the 33-year old Brazilian said, “I would be really honored to face him. At 41 years old and competing at such a high level, he’s an example for our sport. The fight he had with ‘Shogun’ (Mauricio Rua) was unbelievable. I think we could have a great fight.”

Machida, currently healing up from elbow surgery, says he plans to be ready to return to training in early February and hopes to fight in April/May. If a bout with Henderson doesn’t work out based on Evans potentially beating Phil Davis this weekend, Machida also has his eye on another top contender in action at UFC on FOX 2.

“Actually, I never had an interest in facing (Chael Sonnen), but he did so much trash talking that I started to have an interest because I’m not the kind of person who likes to say a lot of bad stuff about my opponents,” revealed Machida. “I’d rather fight and see what happens. I think that fight could happen, but that will depend on whether or not he fights Anderson (Silva).”

Sonnen, who has also taken shots at Machida in the media, will earn an opportunity to face ***** Silva if he comes away with his hand raised tomorrow night against Michael Bisping. Comparably, “The Dragon” last fought in December where he was submitted by Jones in the second round of their headliner after putting together an excellent first frame against the champ.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dana White: “Anybody that’s ever said that they didn’t know what’s being put in their

Dana White: “Anybody that’s ever said that they didn’t know what’s being put in their body is full of sh*t.”

If Muhammed Lawal and Cristiane Santos were hoping the team at Zuffa would be understanding in regards to the situation surrounding their recent drug tests it appears they’re in for some disappointment. Lawal and Santos, who are both currently facing discipline after testing positive for PED usage, each made excuses for the result rather than showing genuine accountability for having slipped up.
    Specifically, Santos said she had taken a substance she wasn’t completely familiar with as a means of helping her cut weight, while Lawal explained the drug in his system was part of a supplement he’d bought over the counter at a fitness supply chain.

UFC
    President Dana White addressed the topic in an interview with MMAFighting where he showed little sympathy for either disgraced athlete, especially in terms of how they’d handled the post-test fallout.

“If you get caught doing something, admit you did it,” said White. “The whole ‘Somebody put something in my system that I didn’t know about?’ I mean, who here lets someone put sh*t inside them that you don’t know what it is?”

“Anybody that’s ever said that they didn’t know what’s being put in their body is full of sh*t,” the outspoken executive concluded while saying he’d rather see fighters own up to their mistake instead of tap-dance around it.

Lawal is not planning to appeal his failed test, hoping instead the NSAC will be lenient based on his admission of guilt, while Santos is fighting the CSAC’s sentence of a yearlong suspension.
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

2012 World MMA Heavyweight Scouting Report: #3 - Alexei Kudin

Junior dos Santos' dominating rise to the top of the UFC's heavyweight division has caused many fans to re-think what weapons elite heavyweights need in order to compete at the highest level. Obviously, a well-balanced skill-set is the desired goal, but the daunting task of mastering both the striking and grappling is an unrealistic goal for 99% of the fighters in the sport. Right now, strikers with phenomenal takedown defense are the alpha dogs in the UFC's heavyweight division.

Eastern European kickboxer turned mixed martial artist Alexei Kudin (9-4) is ascending the international ranks utilizing the same style that pugilists like Overeem and Dos Santos have been implementing inside the Octagon. After beginning his foray into MMA with a 1-3 record back in 2002 when he was only 17 years old, he returned in March of 2010 at a M-1 Challenge event in his home country of Belarus, punching Denis Ivanets into submission in only one minute and fifty-eight seconds.

A year after his initial return, he ramped up his efforts to carve a career out for himself in the sport. Over the course of a single year, Kudin fought eight times, six of those battles taking place in one night tournaments. Under the Pro FC banner, Kudin knocked out both Wojciech Bulinski and Semion Borsh at the East European leg of the ProFC Grand Prix Global tournament. He moved on to the ProFC Grand Prix Global Finals in early December, beating down Dmitry Poberezhets in the semifinals and crushing Kazbek Saidaliev in two minutes and twenty-two seconds in the final. Fourteen days later, he entered the WUFC Challenge of Champions tournament, edging 2011 World MMA Scouting Report prospect Konstantin Gluhov before being defeated by Shamil Abdurahimov's brother, Magomed Abdurahimov, in the tournament finale.
    Despite the recent setback, Kudin, since his return, has recorded a 8-1 record in two years, showcasing proven knockout power and a technically superior striking game in comparison to most of his opposition. The seven-time world champion in Muay Thai mixes it up well on the feet, throwing body blows, heavy kicks to the legs and body, and hooks to the chin.

On the ground, Kudin needs extensive work, mainly on his ability to escape to his feet from his back. Opponents have been able to put him on his back with success, but his ability to keep their posture down and force inactivity has helped him so far. That won't be so easy against stiffer competition, especially against anyone with a solid shot that can grapple. Luckily, there aren't many heavyweights with those skills currently in the sport in Europe.

Kudin has enormous potential if he can improve his takedown defense and add some semblance of a grappling base to his arsenal. It seems crazy to rank Kudin so high without a decent ground game, but the fact of the matter is that Kudin has successfully laid waste to opponents who continually try to bring him to the ground in the past. He's good enough in the scramble to land stunning shots, and his power gives him a major advantage in every fight. With some time, Kudin could reach a level of skill that stacks up against the stiffer competition that awaits him in the U.S.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Bellator 61: 'Big Monster' vs 'American Soldier' booked for March 16 on MTV 2

CHICAGO, Ill. (January 27, 2011) - Bellator Fighting Championships returns to the Bayou State on Friday, March 16 for Bellator 61 live from Bossier City at the Horseshoe Riverdome. The night will feature the long awaited rematch between "The American Solider" Eric Prindle (@EricPrindleMMA) and "The Big Monster" Thiago Santos (@BigMonsterMMA) to determine a winner from last season's heavyweight tournament, as well a host of local talent from the Louisiana area.

Tickets for the event are now on sale and can be purchased online at Riverdome.com, by phone at 888-512-SHOW (7469) or by visiting The Gift Horse at Horseshoe Bossier City Casino. Tickets are priced from $25-$75. The event will also be broadcast LIVE starting at 7 p.m. CST on MTV2 and in commercial-free HD on EPIX. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. CST, with the first fight scheduled for 6 p.m. CST.
    The preliminary card, featuring the area's top local talent will be streamed LIVE and FREE around the world on Spike.com starting at 6 p.m. CST.

"Louisiana's been an amazing home to Bellator. Our last two Louisiana events we're spectacular sell outs, so bringing Bellator to Bossier City was an easy decision to make," said Bellator Chairman & CEO Bjorn Rebney. "This Prindle-Santos fight has war written all over it and both of these guys have taken this huge fight very personally. March 16 should be a great night."

Prindle meets Santos after last season's Heavyweight Finals were declared a no contest as Santos delivered what was ruled an accidental illegal blow to the groin of Eric Prindle, which eventually halted the fight. The two will square off to determine who will earn the right to face current Bellator Heavyweight Champion Cole Konrad(@ColeKonradMMA).

The night will also feature the quarterfinals of the Bellator Season 6 Middleweight Tournament. UFC veteran Maiquel "Big Rig" Falcao (@Falcaomma) will make his Bellator debut against the dominant Norman Paraisy. Falcao enters Bellator with an astonishing 23 knockouts to his record and will look to keep that trend intact at Bellator 61.

In a matchup worthy of a Middleweight title fight, Brian "The Predator" Rogers (@Brogthepredator) battles Brazilian ace Vitor Vianna (@VitorVianna) for a spot in the semifinals. For Rogers, the Ohio native wants to build off last season's semifinals appearance and punch his ticket to a guaranteed title shot. Vianna put up a tremendous fight against eventual Middleweight Tournament Champion Alexander Shlemenko(@StormShlemenko) and is eager for another long tournament run.

Entering Bellator on a 14-fight win streak, explosive Russian Vyacheslav "Slava" Vasilevsky (@SlavaVasilevsky) will be making his U.S. debut in a fight with Victor O' Donnell (@Victor_ODonnell). One of the most promising prospects in the world, "Slava" joins Bellator as two-time Sambo World Champion and will look to make his mark with Bellator.

Giva "The Arm Collector" Santana (@GivaSantana) is back with Bellator and will be gunning for another victim when he takes on Bruno Santos. Always looking for the armbar, Santana has tapped 13 of his 17 career opponents with the hold.

"A lot of fighters like to go out there and try to knock their opponents out as soon as they can, and that's the same way I am with my submissions," Santana said. "For me, to tap a guy out is the same feeling as the knockout. When a punch lands and you know you knocked your opponent out, I feel the same feeling when I lock up a submission on my opponent. I know right away that he's going to tap, and it's a great feeling."
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Chael Sonnen: Great promoter or greatest promoter?

CHICAGO -- "Chael's nuts."
    UFC president Dana White started off the press conference with the statement that everyone in MMA has thought, but not said. Sonnen, who walked out with a UFC championship belt and the words, "Undisputed, undefeated!" flowing from his mouth, showed again he is the best promoter in MMA.

White barely had to say anything to promote Saturday's bouts on Fox, because the Sonnen Show took center stage. His opponent on Saturday, Michael Bisping, tried to keep up with Sonnen, but his attempts were futile.
    Sonnen explained where he picked up the belt ... kind of.

"Well, for those of you who can't see, this is the championship belt that I took from Anderson Silva. In this country, possession is nine tenths of the law. Finders keepers, losers weepers. If he wants it back, he knows where he can find it."
    "I think you can get it on eBay for $29.99!" Bisping said.

Sonnen even broke into rhyme.

"You're looking at the reflection of perfection. You're looking at the man who gets all your attention. You're looking at the man with the biggest arm. At the man, with the greatest charm, the man in Chicago who will do harm to the guy three doors down."

White, standing between Sonnen and Bisping, couldn't help but smile as Sonnen spit out rhyme after rhyme. He was particularly happy as Sonnen added the time and station of the fights to each exclamation.

"Whatcha gonna do, when you know who? How ya gonna deal, with the man of steel? How ya gonna react to Sonnen's attack? Tune in on the 28th! 8 p.m. Eastern Time! You'll find out who the real champion is."

If Sonnen keeps the act up -- and there's no reason to believe he won't -- White won't have to work to promote a single Sonnen card. Why would he, when the "champ" does the work for him?
    NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Debunking Rashad Evans’ claims about Phil Davis’ wrestling

CHICAGO -- Rashad Evans and Phil Davis both wrestled in the Big Ten in college, a fact that has been discussed several times over in the build-up to their UFC on Fox 2 bout on Saturday. Davis has questioned Evans' credentials, while Evans called Davis' technique trash.During Thursday's press conference, Evans even went as far to call competition Davis faced during his tenure weak.

"You wrestled in a year that was kind of soft," Evans said. "Your technique is trash." Unfortunately, the facts don't support Evans' claims.
    Davis was a four-time All-American at Penn State, which means he placed in the top eight of the country in every year he wrestled. It's a difficult feat, no matter the competition. But the wrestlers Davis faced every year that he earned All-American status are names that are familiar to MMA fans.

Davis won the national title as a senior, beating three-time All-American Wynn Michalak from Central Michigan along the way. Max Askren, Ben's brother who won the title in 2010, also placed in the top eight that year.

In 2007, he shared the podium with the same man he shared the dais with today: UFC middleweight Chris Weidman, who beat future world team member J.D. Bergman on the way to a third-place finish. Davis lost in the finals in 2006 to Jake Rosholt, a UFC and WEC veteran and a three-time NCAA champion. When Davis took seventh his freshman year, he beat UFC light heavyweight Ryan Bader in the second round of the tournament.

Evans has talked about how he is better at MMA wrestling than Davis, and he'll get to test out that theory on Saturday. However, questioning his wrestling credentials is a waste of trash talk. A man with a national title, four All-Americans and two Big Ten titles has already proven himself on the mat.
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Ronda Rousey: GSP is boring, I hope Nick Diaz kicks the crap out of him

NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Diaz better keep his paws off my woman
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Ronda Rousey is probably my favorite female fighter, not that the pool is that deep to choose from, but she's badass, nonetheless.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

She really has made a statement in a short period of time with her skill and trash talking. Really bringing more spotlight on the woman's division.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC on Fox 2 Results: Demian Maia Loses His Way And The Fight

In 2007, Demian Maia entered the UFC fresh off his gold medal at Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Grappling World Championship, the most competitive no gi competition in the world. In two years, Maia cut through the division with a 5-0 record using an fighting style focused completely on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Maia wanted to show the MMA world that he could win fights without throwing a single strike.

Maia would take opponent's down or if he was unable to score a takedown, pull guard and look to sweep. Once on top Maia would aggressively work for dominant positions and then submission finishes. But last night against Chris Weidman, another elite grappler, Maia only looked interested in throwing haymaker left hands. When Weidman scored a takedown Maia established his guard and then looked Herb Dean to ask for a stand up. Clearly something had changed.

The path that lead the Brazilian to abandon his greatest strength can be traced back to his loss to former UFC fighter Nate Marquardt. The fight ended after just twenty-one seconds with an epic counter right hand KO that punished Maia for throwing a lazy leg kick. It was a devastating defeat for Maia, who was gaining serious momentum towards a title shot at the time. The impact of this loss was serious for Maia, but many also saw it as an indictment of his grappling focused approach.

The next time MMa fans saw Maia, he was facing fellow Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Dan Miller. To the mild surprise of those watching, Maia boxed his way to a decision win. The win would eventually earn Maia a title shot when Vitor Belfort was forced to withdraw from his title fight. Maia would be completely outclassed on the feet by Anderson Silva, unable to close distance or land strikes.
    More after the jump.

SBN coverage of UFC on Fox 2

Since then Maia's success as been inconsistent, and no longer focused on grappling. His reaction to the Marquardt and Silva losses was to begin training with Wanderlei Silva to improve his striking. While this seems like a reasonable response to his struggles in those matches, it would remove what made Maia a difficult match up. In MMA, being different in terms of approach or tactics is a huge advantage. Maia's willingness to pull guard and use upper level competitive grappling techniques in the cage was intimidating and difficult to replicate in the gym.

But the more Maia focused on his striking, the more he failed to update his grappling. In any competitive sport, from baseball to submission grappling there is one motto: "adapt or die". Once enough film is out on an athlete, their tendencies will become known and they will be forced to adapt their game to continue to succeed. But with Maia's focus so firmly fixed on his striking his grappling stopped evolving.
    This was never more evident than in the Mark Munoz fight. Maia had early success with his striking but when Munoz adjusted and the fight hit the mat. And then, there was Maia attempting the same half guard sweep he had used in 2009 against Nate Quarry and when Munoz seemed prepared to stuff that sweep, Maia did not have an answer. He was able to create scrambles and threaten a submission on Munoz, but the fight was lost for a failure to adapt both on the feet and on the mat.

That pattern repeated itself at UFC on Fox 2. While there are some mutterings of Maia being ill the night of the fight against Weidman, but his utter disinterest in grappling is a sobering sign for his career going forward. Now grappling prowess is not something a man simply looses like stat decay in a video game, this is an issue with preparation and training leading up the fight. If Maia put his mind to it, he certainly could restructure his fight camps and return to rolling roots. That said, he is now 34-years-old, at the end of his physical prime, and his time as an elite middleweight is running out fast, if not already over. Maia's reaction to this loss will define the latter part of his career.

One path Maia could take is rather than working on his striking, begin to work on his ability to close distance and enter the clinch, a position from which he does have strong takedowns. Help reform his MMA game to enhance his grappling abilities rather than lead him away could keep Maia a relevant UFC Middleweight for years to come. Or he could end up in the dustbin of history as yet another grappler who feel in love his striking
    NSCA - CSCS
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC Champion Georges St. Pierre Issues Video Update On His Injury

NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Eddie Alvarez-Shinya Aoki rematch set for April

Former Bellator lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez will get his chance to avenge a submission loss to Shinya Aoki this April. Aoki defeated Alvarez back in 2008 via Heel Hook in just 92 seconds.
    The match has been planned by Bellator for a few months now, but Alvarez recently confirmed that exact time for the bout.

Alvarez and Aoki are two of the top lightweights in the world and among the few fighters out there regarded in such high esteem who do not compete in the UFC.

“It’s been a long time coming. I’ve been wanting to get this back for the past three years so I’m just happy I got the opportunity and that the promoter, Bjorn Rebney, was able to make this come together and happen,” said Alvarez, in an interview with The Fight Nerd.

Alvarez lost his Bellator title to Michael Chandler in late 2011 in a match that many have claimed was the Fight of the Year. Aoki last competed at the DREAM New Year’s Eve event, earning semi-lopsided decision win over Satoru Kitaoka.
    NSCA - CSCS
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC On Fox 2 Video: Dana White On Rashad Evans' Performance, Scoring Bisping-Sonnen

NSCA - CSCS
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 143 Primetime: Diaz vs Condit Episode 2

NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC On Fox 2 Results Recap: Rashad Evans Vs. Phil Davis

In the main event of UFC on Fox 2, Rashad Evans dominated every facet of his five-round bout with Phil Davis and won a unanimous decision. All three judges had it 50-45. Davis was never really in it, looking tentative early and unable to figure Rashad out. Evans was the aggressor in the first two rounds, catching a Davis kick and sweeping him to the floor in each stanza. He was also able to lock Davis in a crucifix in both rounds, but couldn't capitalize on them.

The third round saw Davis get an early and late takedown, but he was reversed both times by Evans and Davis ate a bunch of strikes in between the two instances. Nonetheless, it was probably the best round of the fight for Phil. The last two rounds were pretty much all Evans, with a tired Davis trying to come up with something on the feet but failing and Evans looking more aggressively for the finish. He never got it, but it was a thoroughly impressive performance from Evans that earned him a shot at his nemesis Jon Jones at UFC 145.

What was the high spot of this fight?

The crucifix in the first round. Evans had it locked on tight and Davis was flailing in every direction humanly possible to try and get out. It was a cool visual.

Where do these guys go from here?

Like Sonnen before him, Evans knew what he was fighting for in this bout - a date in the octagon with Jon Jones at UFC 145 in Atlanta. He came through in the clutch, and will now get a chance to regain the UFC light heavyweight title while battling against his former friend and training partner.

Davis will go back to the drawing board. It was the first loss of his career and he's still a top-level prospect, so I wouldn't expect him to lose a lot of momentum from this. There a few different directions the UFC could go in terms of Mr. Wonderful's next fight, but a bout with Lyoto Machida would definitely be interesting.

Watch it now, later or never?

Later. The bout had some good moments, but the majority of the 25 minutes weren't overly exciting and knowing the result is probably enough for most.
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Michael Bisping sees silver lining in UFC on FOX 2 loss, promises future title

CHICAGO – Admittedly, moral victories still bloody suck.

But for UFC on FOX 2 co-headliner Michael Bisping, who suffered a close unanimous-decision loss to No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen on Saturday at Chicago's United Center, the Brit sees the silver lining.

Despite the defeat, Bisping has plenty of reasons to be pleased with his performance.

Against Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC), a truly world-class wrestler and one of the best to ply the trade in MMA, Bisping (22-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC) showcased some vastly improved skills. His takedown defense was sharp, his scrambles were effective, and as usual, his striking was on point.

Ultimately, though, Bisping suffered a decision loss via 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28 scores. Yet even UFC president Dana White publicly admonished the 30-27 score.

"I can't lie; I thought I won rounds one and two," Bisping said. "I think in this modern day of social networking and stuff, you just have to look at the Internet, and I think the general consensus was I won the fight."

Even opponent Sonnen admitted the first two rounds could have gone either way. While never one to back down from self-promoting, Sonnen had nothing but a glowing review for Bisping, who badly rocked the former title challenger in the first round. And like White, Bisping didn't hold back his contempt for judge Clay Goodman, who issued the shutout score for Sonnen.

"There's no way that fight was 30-27, and the judge who scored that needs to reconsider his job options," Bisping flatly said.

Still, it was hard for "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner and longtime contender to ignore the positives he took from the fight. Bisping, who pulled out of a scheduled bout with Demian Maia and instead took the Sonnen fight on 10 days' notice as an injury replacement for Mark Munoz, believes this latest victory should quiet his many critics.

"If you look at my career, I've fought a who's who of MMA," he said. "If you look at the conspiracy, 'Oh, they're giving him hand-picked opponents.' Well, why is an English guy fighting wrestler after wrestler after wrestler? I fought Rashad Evans, Matt Hamill, Chael Sonnen, Denis Kang and Dan Henderson, to name a few. It's such a crock."

Most predicted an easy night for Sonnen, largely because of his wrestling edge. But Sonnen, who earned a guaranteed title shot and rematch with middleweight champ Anderson Silva with the close win, admits he had his hands full.

"I have no excuse for tonight," Sonnen said. "I fought as hard as I could fight. I fought a really good fighter that we didn't know was a really good fighter."

Sonnen further pushed the compliments by saying he'd favor Bisping in a match with Silva. Sure, it may just be bluster, and Silva obviously would be a significant favorite over Bisping, but the Brit believes his time will come soon enough.

Like Sonnen, he sees a title in his future, so don't expect a single loss to derail his plans.

"Yeah, I'm going to nowhere," Bisping said. "I've been doing this for a long, long time, and I intend to do it a lot longer. It was a close fight, a good fight. I could have won that; I could have stopped it.

"But this isn't the last you'll see me, and I will be fighting for a title, and I will bloody win it."
    NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC On Fox 2 Video: Matt Hughes On Retirement, Diaz/Condit Winner

NSCA - CSCS
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans official for UFC 145 in Atlanta

Shortly after UFC went live on FOX last night, company officials confirmed that UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones would make his third title defense on April 21. Less than two hours later, Jones’s opponent became official when Rashad Evans defeated Phil Davis in the main event of UFC on FOX. While Evans wasn’t spectacular in his victory over Davis, he managed to shut out “Mr. Wonderful” on the scorecards and set up the highly anticipated showdown between former friends and training partners, which is set to go down in Atlanta at UFC 145.

It’s been a long road back to the title for Evans, who was originally scheduled to fight for the belt after defeating Quinton Jackson back in May 2010. However, due to injuries suffered by him and then champion Mauricio Rua, “Suga” has had to defeat Tito Ortiz and Davis before being able to secure another shot at the gold. Now he returns to Atlanta, where his road to superstardom began when he knocked out UFC hall of famer Chuck Liddell with a highlight reel overhand at UFC 88.

When Evans went down with an injury, it was Jones who stepped up to face Rua in March 2011. “Bones” dominated “Shogun” en route to a third round stoppage and became the youngest fighter ever to hold UFC gold. Jones defended his title twice in 2011, stopping former champions “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida by submission and cementing his status as one of the best fighters in the sport.

Ever since Jones took the place of Evans and capture the title, the two have engaged war of words. Both men trained together under the guidance of Greg Jackson, but Rashad left the camp shortly after Jones became champion, feeling disrespected by the new 205 pound king. The two men will finally settle their differences later this year in a five round fight that is sure to produce fireworks.
    NSCA - CSCS
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC On Fox 2 Results Recap: Chael Sonnen Vs. Michael Bisping

In the co-main event of UFC on Fox 2, Chael Sonnen booked a date in a Brazilian soccer stadium by narrowly defeating a very game Michael Bisping.The scores weren't very indicative of how close the fight was, but Sonnen took all three cards with a 30-27 and two 29-28's. Both the first and second rounds were very close, with Bisping doing an excellent job of avoiding Sonnen's takedowns, and popping right back up if he did get taken down. The first round looked to be Chael's, the second Bisping's. The third round was a different story though, with Sonnen getting a takedown into side control and eventually advancing to the mount position for an extended period of time. Bisping eventually escaped and briefly got on top, but it was too late.

The winner of this bout was guaranteed a shot at Anderson Silva's UFC middleweight title, and Sonnen will now likely meet Silva in the summer (even though he insists Silva won't take the fight). It will be a rematch of their classic UFC 117 bout.

What was the high spot of this fight?

Sonnen's advance to mount and attempts to set up an arm triangle were pretty interesting. Neither of the fighters managed to catch each other with anything devastating on the feet, so that'd probably be it in my opinion.

Where do these guys go from here?

Sonnen's path looks pretty clear. He keeps saying Anderson Silva won't fight him, but Dana White has made it clear that Sonnen will be rematching Silva in a soccer stadium, likely in Sao Paulo, Brazil in the summer.I'm sure Sonnen will have plenty to say in the leadup to that proposed bout.

Bisping might have lost, but it was one of the best performances of his career and he proved that he's a legitimate top-tier middleweight. The loss was another setback on his path to a title shot, but he will definitely be staying on the top of cards and competing against top guys. He was scheduled to face Demian Maia before the big shakeup, but that bout seems like it wouldn't even be competitive now. Mark Munoz vs. Michael Bisping looks like logical booking if Munoz will be back from his injury fairly soon.

Watch it now, later or never?

Now. The bout wasn't 15 minutes of insane action or anything, but there was a lot going on and it was amazing to see Bisping do what Yushin Okami and Nate Marquardt couldn't, for two rounds at least. Plus, Chael's post-fight speech was humorous (if rehearsed).
    NSCA - CSCS
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Watch Lavar Johnson knock out Joey Beltran

NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM