Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 128 of 148 First ... 123126127128129130133 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post
    Was one of them where they were in the woods looking for bigfoot or whatever? I'm sure Joe Rogan was high out of his mind.
    He was in the Pacific Northwest with Duncan Trussell, which was cool to see and I think Ari Shaffir makes an appearance on an episode as well.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Tito Ortiz Slams Smack Talking Former Boss

It was just over a year ago that Tito Ortiz packed up his bags, hung up his gloves, and called it a career after a loss to Forrest Griffin at UFC 148.

Ortiz's retirement was planned well before the fight ever took place, and the UFC even inducted him into their Hall of Fame just hours before his final fight with Griffin.

It came with some shock then that last week Ortiz returned to the cage after signing a multi-fight deal with Bellator Fighting Championships, the first of which will take place on November 2 when he meets fellow former UFC champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

12 months ago, Ortiz was content in retirement after putting 15 years of his life towards MMA, and he was now driven by new goals—namely his management group where he quickly picked up former Strikeforce champion Cris "Cyborg" Santos as well as continuing to build his Punishment Athletics clothing brand.

Before he signed with Bellator, Ortiz teased his potential return on Twitter, which prompted a response from his former boss UFC president Dana White, who said a return to the cage for the once great champion could only mean one thing.

"Obviously, Tito needs money, that's the only reason he would come back," White said just a week ago.

On Monday, Ortiz joined his first media conference call for Bellator where he was asked that very question—was his motivation to come back to fighting purely out of financial need?

"How do you feed your children or your family? I was smart enough to save my money," Ortiz responded. I invest, and the biggest thing you can invest is something they don't make much of and it's called land and I own a lot of it. I'm smart with my money. Right now it's about making history, it's about making another brand, it's about a company that I put my hard work of 15 years into that just pretty much shut me out and turned me down.

"Now I'm with another one and I'm going to do exactly the same thing with a positive environment around me. I think fighters in general need another opportunity instead of just answering to one man. To be able to have an opportunity to look somewhere else. People want to be treated right as fighters, we should be respected as fighters. Fighters that want to be treated right they come to Bellator."

Throughout the entire one-hour plus call, Ortiz refused to ever mention White by name, but he referenced the UFC president several times when talking about the toxic environment he left behind when the Octagon door closed behind him for the final time.

Ortiz and White's relationship was always rocky, and it even got to the point during one contract negotiation where the two of them were going to spar in a boxing match, although it never happened. Ortiz says that White just dragged him down with all the negativity, and once he got rid of that he was able to get his body healthy and just focus on fighting and not all the other baggage that came with being in the UFC.

"I'm healthy, my mind is in a good place, I have a boss that I no longer have to fight with that has my back. I have a company that has my back. I don't want a relationship that drags me down," Ortiz stated. I have a great family that has my back. I'm in a good place mentally, physically, emotionally, like no other.

"I've been thinking (about returning) for a long time. I think it was after my last surgery when I bounced back only a month after surgery. Then I got knee surgery and I bounced back after three weeks. I was like 'why is my body healing so fast?' and then I realized what was around me, all the negative was gone. I had nothing but positive around me, it was a positive mindset, you can achieve a lot of things.

"Yes, I've got a big head and I've got a big brain and when it's used in a positive limelight and positive surroundings, I can be a scary man."

Ortiz's final fight in the UFC happened on July 7, 2012 and he says exactly one year later his "handcuffs" came off, undoubtedly referencing a matching period the UFC had to sign him to a new deal before he became an unrestricted free agent. He says it didn't take long for Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney to pick up the phone once he was free to see if Ortiz was interested in getting back in the cage.

"On July 7, I got a call from Bjorn (Rebney), the contract was done July 8, we came and we met," Ortiz said. "Dave Thomas (his manager) brought it in, we sat down, we hashed it out in a week, got it done."

With his new Bellator deal in hand, Ortiz is all about his new employers, talking them up because of their dedication to build fighters and not their own company brand. It was a similar situation when Jackson exited the UFC and signed with Bellator earlier this year.

"Bellator isn't about the brand—they're about making stars.," Ortiz said. Making people as they should be. We go in there and we kill ourselves practically, and you want to be a superstar, you've got to put in the time, you've got to put in the work, and you've got to put on good fights. Bellator wants to support guys who do that. It's not about the brand of Bellator, it's going to always be there. It's about fighters, about making superstars and Bjorn understands that."

While the contract, fight announcement and reasons for returning are all well and good, Ortiz still has to stay healthy and get ready for a fight on Nov 2. Despite his argument to the contrary, it can't be ignored that Ortiz is 1-7-1 in his last nine fights overall.

There's no doubt he faced some of the stiffest competition in the division, but Ortiz struggled in many of those fights to keep his head above water much less convince the world that he was still an elite light heavyweight.

Ortiz promises, however, that the fire is back in his belly especially after the way his last fight in the UFC ended. He also attributes part of the losses on the way he was mired in mudslinging with his former employer, and his attitude reflected his performances.

"My last fight left a bad taste in my mouth and I thought I won the fight. When you drop someone twice, and take them down four times, and you smash their face and they go running out of the cage, I don't understand how I lose a fight. You're only as good as your last fight," Ortiz stated. "We're still here to fight, we're going to put on a show.

"When I want to fight and I don't have someone behind me talking smack, it's great to have a boss that's going to have your back, who is going to support you in a great way. To have a company that has your back and supports you in a great way. When I have that feeling of graciousness of being here, it makes me want to do it. When I'm sitting there and I have someone barking at me, and yelling at me and talking s—t the whole time, I don't want to be around that."

Ortiz is no longer around White or the UFC any longer, so judging by his statements he expects to be back to championship form by Nov 2. The jury will remain out until after Ortiz faces Jackson at the first ever Bellator pay-per-view to render a verdict on whether that last statement is true or not.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 163 Medical Suspensions

UFC 163 took place on Saturday, August 3 from the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The card’s main event saw UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo defend his title with a fourth-round TKO victory over Chan Sung Jung.

That fight left both fighters in bad shape. Aldo injured his foot with his first kick of the evening, and the TKO was preceded by Jung dislocating his right shoulder.

Those injuries left the two fighters with lengthy medical suspensions following the event. For full UFC 163 medical suspensions, see below.

Jose Aldo: Suspended for 90 days with no contact for 60 days due to fractured right foot.

Chan Sung Jung: Suspended for 180 days unless he has MRI on his right shoulder and gets cleared by a doctor.

Lyoto Machida: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Phil Davis: Suspended for 180 days unless he has his right foot X-rayed and cleared by a doctor.

Cezar Ferreira: Suspended for 14 days with no contact for seven days.

Thiago Santos: Suspended for 90 days with no contact for 60 days.

Thales Leites: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Tom Watson: Suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days.

John Lineker: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

José Maria: Suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days.

Vinny Magalhaes: Suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days.

Anthony Perosh: Suspended for 14 days with no contact for seven days.

Amanda Nunes: Suspended for 180 days unless she has her right rib X-rayed and cleared by a doctor.

Sheila Gaff: Suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days.

Sergio Moraes: Suspended for 14 days with no contact for seven days.

Neil Magny: Suspended for 14 days with no contact for seven days.

Rani Yahya: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Iliarde Santos: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Ian McCall: Suspended for 180 days unless he has his right hand X-rayed and cleared by a doctor.

Josh Clopton: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Ednaldo Oliveira: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Francimar Barroso: Suspended for 30 days with no contact for 21 days.

Viscardi Andrade: Suspended for 14 days with no contact for seven days.

Bristol Marunde: Suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3 Sells Out in Less Than 3 Days

Houston—we don't have a problem.

UFC 166 will land in the Texas city on October 19 with heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez battling former title holder Junior Dos Santos in the main event, and the fans in the area have made quick work of the ticket sales.

The event, which is the third time the UFC has visited Houston in the last six years, sold out in less than three total days after going on sale to the public last Friday, August 2.

Houston has become a staple for the UFC in the times that they've landed there with huge crowds coming out for each event.

UFC 67, which featured the massive upset when Matt Serra knocked out Georges St-Pierre to win the UFC welterweight title, packed in 15,269 fans and scored an over $2.8 million dollar gate, which was the largest gate ever in Toyota Center history.

The next time the UFC landed in Houston was for UFC 136 in 2011 when Frankie Edgar met Gray Maynard for the third time, while Jose Aldo took on former lightweight contender Kenny Florian. That event drew 16,164 fans for a gate of $2.23 million—according to UFC president Dana White, the fourth largest draw in Toyota Center history.

This latest event once again drew a huge crowd from the Houston faithful as they will return to the Toyota Center to witness the epic trilogy between Velasquez and Dos Santos come to an end in the main event of the evening.

Also on the card, Daniel Cormier takes on Roy Nelson in the co-main event, while former Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez returns to face Diego Sanchez.

All told, UFC 166 features seven current or former champions from the UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator including Cormier, who was the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion.

UFC officials confirmed the sell out to Bleacher Report on Monday with fans turning out in droves to get tickets to the upcoming card. More tickets may be made available if the arena can configure more open seats, but that has not been determined as of now.

UFC 166 goes down on October 19 from Houston, and will also be broadcast on pay-per-view.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Alistair Overeem: 'I Have One Goal in Life

The day Alistair Overeem signed with the UFC was supposed to signify a change of times, as the former Strikeforce, DREAM and K-1 Grand Prix champion was expected to bolt to the top of the division and immediately contend for the title.

Overeem's career accolades are pretty gaudy on paper, having won championships in virtually every promotion he's ever competed in since moving to the heavyweight division, and the UFC belt was going to be the crown jewel on his resume.

Even when the UFC offered him a title shot on Day 1, Overeem passed so he could stay busy and not sit out for a long time. So, instead of battling for the belt, Overeem battered former champion Brock Lesnar in a one-sided affair that officially served notice to the heavyweight division that there was a new threat in town.

Quickly, Overeem was matched up with then-heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos at a mega-card slated for May 2012, and that's when the wheels fell off the cart for the Dutch native.

A pre-fight drug screen executed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission found that Overeem had elevated levels of testosterone in his system, and he was yanked from the fight immediately. Not only that, but Overeem then had to sit out for nine months in an agreement with the commission following the positive drug test.

When Overeem returned, he was still regarded as one of the best heavyweights in the UFC, and his scheduled fight against Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva was seen as a formality as he charged back toward a No. 1 contender's spot.

The fight was anything but a grand homecoming for Overeem.

Silva knocked him out in emphatic fashion in the third round as the former K-1 champion watched his title shot hopes dissipate like a cloud of vapor.

It certainly wasn't the path Overeem hoped to walk when he signed with the UFC almost two years ago, but as he approaches his next fight against Travis Browne at UFC Fight Night 26 on Fox Sports 1, he's looking at this as a new beginning of sorts as he climbs back up the ladder.

"Yes absolutely (this is a fresh start)," Overeem told Bleacher Report. "I believe that both Browne and myself are top ranked fighters and the winner of this fight will be one step closer in getting a title shot, so in that sense I know this fight can put me right on track as I still have one goal in life and that's becoming the UFC heavyweight champion.

Hi-res-5932616_crop_exact
    Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
    "I know there are more fighters going after that number one spot but with the nature of the sport anything can happen. So my main focus is my next fight and afterwards we will see who or when I will be fighting next."

The scrutiny surrounding Overeem since coming to the UFC has multiplied exponentially from his days fighting in Japan. He didn't make it easy on himself with the positive drug test in 2012, but after his last fight, more personal information about Overeem was released as part of the commission's testing process.

It was revealed after the fight with Silva that Overeem had dangerously low levels of testosterone in his body for the bout. Overeem was tested consistently by the Nevada Commission after his original test produced high results in 2012, and in the subsequent tests he came back with extremely low levels of testosterone, which can cause a myriad of health problems—many related to MMA.

As these issues hit the headlines, Overeem's athletic career intersected with his personal life. Overeem took it all in stride, however, saying that he signed up for this by deciding to become a professional fighter and that once that line is crossed, privacy is a thing of the past.

"I don't pay real attention to it all and it comes with the job anyway, being in the spotlight and fighting for so many fans over the world you become subject for personal things," Overeem said. "It's not always nice but at the end it's something you signed for when you wanted to be a professional fighter so it comes with the territory."

While Overeem's name in the headlines over the last couple of years has been as much about his out-of-competition life as what he's done in the cage, he's happy to turn the focus back on fighting.

Facing a very tough heavyweight in Travis Browne, Overeem knew this was a good way to get back into the title picture and erase the harsh memories of his last trip to the Octagon.

"Travis is a good fighter who has a pretty all-round game so he will be dangerous, I'm not going to underestimate him," Overeem said. "I just wanted to fight as quick as possible and Travis made the most sense to put together. A lot of other ranked fighters had their fight or got a fight scheduled so it was the most logical choice for the UFC to make as I told them that I didn't want to wait for a certain opponent."

Overeem isn't shy about his long-term goals of finally earning a shot at the UFC gold, but he's not going out against Browne to really prove anything to anybody. His purpose is to put on the best performance possible, get a win and make sure the fans are happy when he leaves the Octagon.

If that happens, Overeem knows the rest will work out without him doing much of anything else.

"I don't do predictions and I don't want to make a statement to the rest of the fighters, I want to make a statement for the fans who bought the tickets and are watching the fight," Overeem said. "It's them I want to please."

Overeem and Browne will serve as the co-main event for the inaugural card on Fox Sports 1, so whether he's trying or not, he will certainly have a large platform to announce to the rest of the heavyweight division that he's back.

A knockout victory over a competitor like Browne would certainly speak volumes.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Bellator reveals more details for Rampage Jackson-Tito Ort

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- Heading into Monday's press conference with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Tito Ortiz at Bellator MMA headquarters, few details were available about the company's first pay-per-view venture, beyond the fact the fight would headline a card on Nov. 2 at the Long Beach Arena.

Over the course of an hour-long presser, though, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney leaked several details. Among them:

*Jackson-Ortiz will be a light heavyweight bout and will be set for three rounds.

*Although no specific matchups were mentioned, Rebney opened the door for several five-round championship bouts, and said lightweight champion Michael Chandler would appear against an opponent to be determined. Rebney would not commit when asked if Dave Jansen, the winner of the most recent Bellator lightweight tournament, would get the shot.

*He also said the card could feature another "special fight."

*Rebney indicated that PPV price point would likely vary between $35-45, with the price at the discretion of the individual distributors.

*Fans should expect live prelims on Spike TV before the main card, as well as documentary-type preview content leading up to the event.

*Rebney also indicated that Bellator will do more pay-per-views in the future, but it won't become a monthly staple. "You can't force pay-per-views down people's throats once a month," he said. "We are a free TV based company. PPV will happen when it makes sense."
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

‘Rampage’ Jackson: 'UFC is messing up MMA

Quinton Jackson has been on an anti-Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) crusade long before he left the ZUFFA-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion earlier this year.

And he isn't letting up anytime soon.

Now that he's signed with Bellator MMA, "Rampage" says he's seen the light, praising company CEO Bjorn Rebney for being a promoter who "gets it" and one who has allowed him to explore his other interests such as wrestling and acting.

With the help of media giant Viacom, of course.

And according to the former UFC Light Heavyweight champion, his former employers over in Las Vegas, Nevada are "messing up" the sport of MMA by doing "a lot of bad things" while his new bosses over at Bellator are making all the right moves on their way to becoming the future of the sport.

He explains to Rick J. Lee:

"I met Bjorn and I just felt his energy. You look him in the eyes when you talk to him and you know like, ‘Man, this guy gets it!' I heard of Bellator, but, I didn't know how it was. The other shows kind of leave a bad taste in your mouth. Terry Trebilcock from King of The Cage, before I met Bjorn, was the only promoter that was cool to me. Dana, he started off cool, but when you get on Dana's bad side then you might as well be an alien. But when I met Bjorn, man, he talked to me, he explained things and we sat down and you just feel his energy. And you can tell he don't talk bad about anybody else. You always got to be worried about other people that talk bad about you because as soon as you walk away there's a good chance people talk bad about you. I'm sure if someone crosses him he's going to say something, me and him are a lot alike. I feel like he keeps it real. What he just said about pay-per-views, I totally agree with that. He's not going to cram it down fans throats; every month do a pay-per-view. I think that's what UFC is doing. I think the UFC now is messing up the sport. They just doing a lot of bad things and I just feel like Bellator, the way they doing things is kind of the future of the sport."
    I wonder if this is one of the "bad things" UFC is doing?

Bellator will put on its first-ever pay-per-view (PPV) offering headlined by Jackson as he takes on Tito Ortiz which will go down on Nov. 2, 2013 and will come with the price tag somewhere in the range of $35-$45.

How about it Manaics, will Bellator's first foray into the PPV business be the next step on their quest -- at least in Jackson's eyes -- to dethroning UFC from the top of the MMA mountain?
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Bellator won't be the future and neither will Rampage, Tito, Chandler, Askren or Alvarez, as long as they're in Bellator.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'9"  242 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Bellator won't be the future and neither will Rampage, Tito, Chandler, Askren or Alvarez, as long as they're in Bellator.
    Agreed.

And you've kept me busy here at work the past 30 mins with all this reading lol
    GENOMYX REPRESENTATIVE
    GENOMYX.COM
    STIMaholic & PHENADROL Now Available!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Old School MMA: UFC 5 - Dan Severn mauls tournament

NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post
    Agreed.

And you've kept me busy here at work the past 30 mins with all this reading lol
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'9"  242 lbs.

I'll contribute a little here...
    GENOMYX REPRESENTATIVE
    GENOMYX.COM
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'9"  242 lbs.

Bas Rutten v. Funaki 2 - 1996 Pancrase

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    ...in 1996 in what is considered to be one of the greatest fights in Pancrase history. Rutten described the war with Funaki in an interview:

"Before the fight when he came to me, he made that thumb over the neck, throat slashing motion like I was going to go down. I turned to my manager and said, "Okay, now I'm going to kill this guy, you watch". My game plan was to keep the fight going for 15 minutes...Funaki had never fought above 15 minutes. But then, like 12 minutes into it, while I'm still on my knees he kicks me in the head. I block, but for me that was an illegal thing to do. So right away I start, BANG, BANG, BANG, and he goes down. From that moment on, I totally destroyed him. You got to see the fight; it was a massacre. My palms were black from hitting him so hard. He had the gods on his side or something, because he stood up every time. I hit his face back on the mat and you hear it slam into the mat. His nose is all the way to the side, broke, they have to straighten it out. I go, "Oh my God, this guy can take a shot!" I kneed him so hard in the head. He went down four times. But the last knee I gave to him was like everything I had. I grabbed him by the head and kneed him. It was really like a Rocky movie. I'm standing there and I fall backwards, and I'm totally out of breath. I get up and the referee holds my hand up. Then he lets my hand go and I drop again, BOOM! I was exhausted, I gave everything I had; I really wanted to destroy him. I broke his cheekbones and broke his nose, just because he said he was going to kill me. Oh, I was so angry at him. But afterwards, friends again...what a crazy sport this is, huh?"

Watched it yesterday after reading the Wikipedia on Bas. Freakin' awesome.
    GENOMYX REPRESENTATIVE
    GENOMYX.COM
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Backstage UFC 162

NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Florida stops MMA bout between fighters with Down's syndro

Name:  943229_543298339045302_1200396068_n.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  82.3 KB

Aspiring MMA fighters Garrett Holeve, who has Down's syndrome, and David Steffin, who's got cerebral palsy, were set to fight Friday on an Indian Casino but the state of Florida stepped in and stopped the bout.

We've posted before about Garrett Holeve, the 23-year-old with Down's syndrome who wants to become a professional mixed martial artist. He was set to fight 28-year-old David Steffin, who has cerebral palsy this past weekend but it looks like his career has had another set back.

Florida's WINK News reports:

It was a fight that was supposed to be a first of its kind. One both Garrett Holeve, 23, and David Steffin, 28, had been dreaming of, but five minutes before the first punch, the state presented the promoter with a cease and desist letter.

"He cried. It genuinely upset him," says Mitch Holeve, Garrett's father. "He's worked eight weeks in a training camp, training four and a half hours a day for eight weeks getting mentally and physically prepared to do this."

Garrett has downs syndrome and his opponent David has cerebral palsy. The fight was supposed to happen because the match was being held on tribal land, but a letter from the DBPR says the scheduled bout between the two amateur fighters is unsanctioned and against Florida Law.

"He's upset because he knows he's being told he can't fight because he has down syndrome and that hurts his feelings and that angers him" says Holeve.
    What do you think? Should Holeve and Steffin have been allowed to fight?
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

If an event is something FLORIDA of all states can't stomach, maybe its actually wrong
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Sara McMann withdraws from August 28 tilt with Sarah Kaufm

An unfortunate bit of news surfaced this week in relation to an upcoming card on FOX Sports 1, as UFC bantamweight Sara McMann has been forced out out of a match-up with Sarah Kaufman that was sure to send the winner into a clash for top contendership. No specific reasons were offered for her withdrawal though it is believed to be due to a personal matter rather than an injury.

MMAJunkie was first to report the change, also stating a replacement was being sought. The bout was scheduled to take place on August 28 at UFC Fight Night 27 in Indianapolis.

McMann is an Olympic medalist in wrestling and has posted a 7-0 record far since transitioning into Mixed Martial Arts. She made her Octagon debut in April, securing a first frame TKO against Sheila Gaff at UFC 159.
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Vidoe: Jackson vs. Ortiz Bellator pre-fight press conferen

NSCA - CSCS
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Tito Ortiz shows up on TNA

NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Aleksander Emelianenko had … an interesting 32nd birthday

Another strange and twisted tale in the life of Aleksander Emelianenko. Via MiddleEasy:

Now this morning a report surfaced that accused Aleksander Emelianenko of raping a woman after he invited two 23-year-old Siberian girls to his apartment after a long night of celebrating his 32nd birthday. One woman accused Aleksander of literally detaining her in his apartment while sexually abusing her. After the police eventually arrived at the apartment the next morning, a reportedly ‘slightly drunk’ Aleksander verbally harassed news reporters claiming they were just ‘lying prostitutes.’

Apparently Aleksander Emelianenko was right after all. After being detained in police custody, the two women admitted they were prostitutes, paid 1,000 euros by Aleksander Emelianenko in order for him to ‘celebrate’ his 32nd birthday. When the morning came (and sobriety hit), they realized Aleksander had more money in his apartment and the two women attempted to extort him our of his cash. Aleksander refused to pay, kicked them out, and apparently they called the police and claimed that Alek raped one of them.

All charges have been dropped, case has been closed, and I’m sure Aleksander Emelianenko has one hell of a hangover.

And here I was thinking all that time in a Russian monastery making furniture and bread had reformed Aleks. Maybe it has. Maybe before, this horrific rape story would have actually been true. Now the more Godly Aleksander is just the victim of extorting prostitutes.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Aleksander's Russian Mob ties probably helped a bit.
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Bisping vs. Munoz to headline UFC on Fox Sports 2

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) returns to Manchester, England with a middleweight bout between Michael Bisping and Mark Munoz. It's probable that the winner earns a title shot.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) makes its return to the the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, on Oct. 26, 2013, with a Middleweight main event between Michael Bisping and Mark Munoz. The event will air on Fox Sports 2, the rebranded version of Fuel TV.

It's expected that the winner of this middleweight clash will be in line for a future title shot, as both fighters have been impressive in their last fights.

"The Count" has continually sniffed the at top of the division, but can't seem to get over the hump to earn a title shot. He's unfortunately been the fighter that guys earn title shots off of, instead of the fighter that's competing for the title. His last outing, against Alan Belcher at UFC 159, ended in a Technical Unanimous Decision win due to an accidental eye poke.

Munoz has had an equally rough time when it comes to fighting those at the top of the division. Last summer, he was decimated by Chris Weidman at UFC on Fuel: Munoz vs. Weidman in San Jose, California. After a year off, he bounced back with a dominant Unanimous Decision win over Tim Boetsch at UFC 162 in Las Vegas. It was without a doubt, Munoz' best performance in the UFC.

With the middleweight division currently in flux, an impressive win could earn either man a shot at the winner of the UFC 168 main event between Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Melvin Guillard vs Ross Pearson in October

During Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight”, UFC officials announced that a lightweight bout between Melvin Guillard (31-12-2 MMA, 12-8 UFC) and Ross Pearson (15-6 MMA, 7-3 UFC) has been added to the UFC Fight Night event scheduled for October 26 in Manchester, England.

Guillard is coming off an impressive “Knockout of the night” performance, defeating Mac Danzig at last month’s UFC on FOX 8 event in Seattle. Prior to the victory, “The Young Assassin” was in quite a slump, going 1-4 in his past 5 octagon appearances.

The winner of “The Ultimate Fighter Season 9″, Ross Pearson has found new life since returning to the UFC’s lightweight division. After a short stint at featherweight, which saw the Brit go 1-1, Pearson returned to the UFC’s 155-pound ranks with a KO win over George Sotiropoulos in December of 2012.

“The Real Deal” was then pitted against Strikeforce crossover Ryan Couture, who he promptly TKO’d at April’s UFC on FUEL TV event in Sweden.
    The contest will serve as the evenings co-main event, with Michael Bisping vs. Mark Munoz getting top billing.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Maia vs Shields to headline Brazil Event, Oct 9, 2013

For the 6th time of 7 planned events (1 more November 9, 2013) the Ufc will return to brazil.

Welterweight bout: Demian Maia vs Jake Shields
    Welterweight bout: Erick Silva vs Dong Hyun Kim
    Light Heavyweight bout: Thiago Silva vs Matt Hamill

"A cidade de Barueri, no estado de São Paulo, está perto de ser anunciada como sede do UFC que será realizado no dia 9 de outubro. A bola da vez é o Ginásio Poliesportivo José Corrêa, que foi visitado recentemente pela organização e tem capacidade para 5 mil pessoas. As informações foram confirmadas pelo Combate.com durante o UFC Rio 4 com fontes ligadas ao Ultimate.

Jaraguá do Sul-SC, que também estava forte no páreo, acabou ficando um pouco para trás, principalmente pelo fato de já ter recebido um evento em maio deste ano. Na ocasião, Vitor Belfort nocauteou o americano Luke Rockhold na luta principal.

Se confirmado o anúncio, será a terceira vez que o UFC irá desembarcar no estado de São Paulo. As anteriores foram na capital: a primeira em outubro de 1998, no primeiro evento da história da organização no Brasil, com a clássica vitória de Vitor Belfort sobre Wanderlei Silva; e a segunda em janeiro deste ano, novamente com Belfort vencendo, em duelo contra o inglês Michael Bisping."

"The city of Barueri, state of São Paulo, is close to being announced as host of the UFC to be held on October 9. The turn is the Gymnasium Multisport José Corrêa, which was recently visited by the organization and has capacity for 5000 people. The information was confirmed by Combate.com during the UFC Rio 4 with sources close to the Ultimate.

Jaragua do Sul-SC, who was also strong in the race, just getting a little behind, mainly because he has already received an event in May this year. On occasion, Vitor Belfort knocked out American Luke Rockhold in the main.

If confirmed the announcement will be the third time the UFC will land in the state of São Paulo. The former were in the capital: the first in October 1998, the first event in the history of the organization in Brazil, with the classic victory over Vitor Belfort Wanderlei Silva and the second in January this year, again with Belfort winning in duel against England's Michael Bisping."
    NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Jose Aldo hospitalized with kidney stones

Jose Aldo's broken foot isn’t the only reason why the fighter has had to go to the hospital recently.

Dr. Marcio Tannure, the UFC’s doctor in Brazil, told MMAFighting.com that the UFC featherweight champion was taken to Copa D’Or hospital in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro and diagnosed with kidney stones Tuesday. UOL first reported the news.

"I learned about this problem with Andre (Pederneiras, Aldo’s coach)," Tannure told MMAFighting.com on Tuesday. "He had renal calculus (kidney stones) before. He needs to send me the results of the exams so I can check it. Andre told me it’s not serious, and he probably already expelled the stones."

Aldo, who has been released from the hospital, broke his foot on the first kick of his fight against Chan Sung Jung at UFC 163 on Saturday night, and he isn’t expected to return to the Octagon this year.
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Renan Barao expecting Dominick Cruz fight in February

The UFC bantamweight division has been in a state of limbo for nearly two years as a result of champion Dominick Cruz going down with a torn ACL he re-injured while rehabbing. Fortunately, Renan Barao stepped up in the interim to establish himself as a supremely-skilled competitor, winning the interim title in a 2012 tilt with Urijah Faber and successfully defending it against Michael McDonald earlier this year. Though Barao will put the gold up for grabs again in September, facing Eddie Wineland at UFC 165, he was recently given some hope regarding the opportunity to unify his belt with Cruz’s assuming he gets by his next challenge unscathed.

According to a statement Barao made to MMAFighting, Cruz recently indicated he’d be ready to fight in early 2013 assuming he avoided any more setbacks.

“We only exchanged a few words because my English isn’t that good. He told me he’s returning (to fighting) on February,” said Barao. “I was really happy to hear that. I hope he can return so we can finally fight.”

The 19-1 Cruz addressed Barao’s comment on Twitter, denying he had a specific date in mind but had set a goal and hoped doctors ultimately supported his stance.

Barao is 30-1 and hasn’t loss since his MMA debut more than eight years ago. In addition to Faber and McDonald, the 26-year old has picked up victories over Scott Jorgensen and Brad Pickett inside the Octagon.
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 166 fight card: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3

UFC 166 has started to round out a bit, and we've already got the looks of an amazing card. The main event will be the third fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title, but there's so much more than that. Daniel Cormier will face off with the re-signed Roy Nelson in another heavyweight bout set for the co-main event. And a bunch of other already-announced bouts should make up the main card.

Former Bellator middleweight champ Hector Lombard will make his welterweight debut against former Strikeforce champ Nate Marquardt. Another former SF champ, Gilbert Melendez, will meet TUF 1 winner Diego Sanchez. And a great middleweight bout between Tim Boetsch and Luke Rockhold was just added today.

Here's a look at the still-developing card for October 19th in Houston:

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos [HW Title]
    Daniel Cormier vs. Roy Nelson
    Gilbert Melendez vs. Diego Sanchez
    Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shawn Jordan
    Hector Lombard vs. Nate Marquardt
    Tim Boetsch vs. Luke Rockhold
    K.J. Noons vs. George Sotiropoulos
    Tony Ferguson vs. Mike Rio
    Adlan Amagov vs. T.J. Waldburger
    NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

video preview trailer for ‘Shogun vs Sonnen'

NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 164 Free Fight: Henderson vs. Edgar

NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Obama still looking to make online streaming a felony

The UFC strongly backed SOPA before the hated bill was struck down in 2012. They may get what they wanted though as the Obama administration is recommending turning the viewing of copyrighted materials a felony.

The Stop Online Piracy Act died in 2012 in the face of widespread public loathing and a concentrated effort from several major corporations and websites. One of the big backers of the bill was the UFC, both contributing considerable amounts of money in lobbying for the bill's passage and through Lorenzo Fertitta writing letters to SOPA's co-author Lamar Smith.

One of the problems many saw at the time with the UFC's support of the bill was the seeming detachment from the true effect that the bill would have. Dana White said after UFC on Fox 2 "Is SOPA the perfect bill? No, it's not. The only thing that we're focused on is piracy. Piracy is stealing. If you walk into a store and steal a ****ing gold watch, it's the same as stealing a pay-per-view. I don't care what your twisted, demented idea of stealing is. These kids grew up on the Internet never had to pay for anything, so they don't think they should have to."

Ignoring the complete bill and only focusing on the piracy aspects led to a run-in between Dana White, online activist group Anonymous and some associated "hackers." The UFC website was hacked, Dana called them terrorists and eventually one of the "hackers" released "dox" on White, including his social security number among other information.

If the UFC's only concern was online streaming of their PPV events, they might be in luck as now the Obama administration is endorsing a major change in making streaming of copyrighted materials a felony.

The Washington Post reports:

You probably remember the online outrage over the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) copyright enforcement proposal. Last week, the Department of Commerce’s Internet Policy Task Force released a report on digital copyright policy that endorsed one piece of the controversial proposal: making the streaming of copyrighted works a felony.

As it stands now, streaming a copyrighted work over the Internet is considered a violation of the public performance right. The violation is only punishable as a misdemeanor, rather than the felony charges that accompany the reproduction and distribution of copyrighted material.

The Commerce Department report recommends "[a]dopting the same range of penalties for criminal streaming of copyrighted works to the public as now exists for criminal reproduction and distribution," adding that "[s]ince the most recent updates to the criminal copyright provisions, streaming (both audio and video) has become a significant if not dominant means for consumers to enjoy content online."
    As it stands, the current laws make the duplication of materials a bigger offense than just viewing the material.

This would change that in a major way and could have the impact that the UFC has been seeking for years.

On its face, it seems ridiculous to make streaming a movie or PPV sports event a felony, but lobbyists have a way of getting the ridiculous to a vote.
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM