When UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem finally makes his return to the Octagon it will have been more than a year since the devastating Dutchman last fought. Regardless of the extended break, it looks like Overeem will still receive a crack at the divisional championship as he would have months ago prior to showing an elevated T:E ratio in a drug test later confirmed to have been brought on by testosterone use. According to UFC President Dana White, “The Demolition Man” will face the winner of a December duel between heavyweight king Junior dos Santos and former title-holder Cain Velasquez in a bout being targeted for March/April 2013. White’s comments came in a conversation with media members after the UFC 153 press conference had concluded (captured on video by MMAFighting).
Overeem has emerged with his hand raised in eleven consecutive clashes including wins over Brett Rogers, Brock Lesnar, and Fabricio Werdum. He holds an overall record of 36-11 with 34 stoppages to his credit.
Dos Santos-Velasquez are scheduled to face off on December 29 at UFC 155.
NSCA - CSCS
If all had gone according to plan it would be UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo stepping into the organization’s infamous eight-sided cage tonight as Brazil’s representative in the main event of UFC 153 instead of Anderson Silva. However, Aldo was forced to pull out of his planned title-defense against Frankie Edgar after his involvement in a motorcycle accident left him injured to the point he had to take a break from training. Fortunately, though Aldo hasn’t fully healed, it appears the explosive 26-year old is still on track to fight again in the coming months and expects to face Edgar when he does indeed return to the ring.
“I hope to be back by the end of the year, or by January at the latest. The UFC will tell me who I’ll be facing, but I think it’s Frankie Edgar,” said Aldo in an interview with MMAJunkie, also updating fans on his status during the exchange as well. “I feel fine except for some pain in my ankles. I just need medical clearance to get back to full training.”
Aldo holds an overall record of 21-1 but hasn’t fought since this past January, suffering some other health-related setbacks earlier in the year before his most recent run-in with injury.
NSCA - CSCS
Dana White convinced 'humble' Anderson Silva will fight Jon Jones if the price is right
Despite his dominance in three trips to light heavyweight, UFC 185-pound champ Anderson Silva insists he will never fight 205-pound titleholder Jon Jones. UFC President Dana White says "The Spider" is just being humble and will eventually do it to cement his legacy -- and bankroll boku bucks.
Why do mixed martial arts (MMA) fans keep asking for an Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones "super fight?"
Probably because Jones, the reigning 205-pound champion, can't be defeated by anyone in the light heavyweight division. And after watching UFC 153 last Saturday night (Oct. 13, 2012) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, apparently, neither can Anderson Silva.
The UFC middleweight champion is now perfect in three trips north, including this past weekend's technical knockout (TKO) victory over Stephan Bonnar. His dominant performance over "The American Psycho" didn't do much for his legacy, but it sure as heck made fans cry that much louder for a showdown against "Bones."
Too bad "The Spider" says it's never going to happen.
One person who doesn't believe him is UFC President Dana White, who can think of several million reasons why Silva will not only return to the light heavyweight division, but will do it for a fight against Jones.
From the UFC 153 post-fight press conference:
"I think the Jon Jones fight is a big fight. And I know my man says, ‘no, no, no,' but the amount of money that would be offered for that fight, I guarantee you, I will make Anderson Silva say, ‘yes, yes, yes.'"
While his checkbook wasn't big enough to convince Fedor Emelianenko to fight Brock Lesnar, he contends that Silva's modesty is nothing more than a game he's playing, presumably to up the ante when the time comes to sign on the dotted line.
From the UFC 153 post-fight media scrum:
"He's playing games with me, that's what he's doing. I know how he works and I know how he thinks. He always has this thing of being humble, where it's not like 'Yeah, I'm gonna fight Jon Jones and I'll beat him.' He never does that. But, I know how he is. He wants to show everybody by the time he leaves, who the man is."
Silva wants a "super fight," just not against Jones. The Brazilian, to date, insists on squaring off against reigning welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre, assuming "Rush" can get past Carlos Condit at the UFC 154 pay-per-view (PPV) next month in Montreal.
Until then, it's all just fantasy matchmaking.
NSCA - CSCS
NSCA - CSCS
Hmmm... I get it I suppose, but who else would he coach against, Sonnen? Sonnen is a guy he could beat, but would probably be better TV, but Cormier is a guy that could actually beat him. Thoughts?
"I'd be interested in a TUF season in the future, but it'd take the right opponent. As far as Daniel Cormier saying he wants to coach against me, he would want that, wouldn't he? He's relatively unknown, I want to do it when the fans are aware of both guys, and when it's spunky and when it raises a lot of viewers. I'm not here to raise his stock." - Jon Jones via ESPN.co.uk
Recently current Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier stated that he is interested in coaching "The Ultimate Fighter" alongside UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
Jones, however, doesn't appear fond of the idea.
UFC president Dana White has made it clear over the past couple of weeks that he's very interested in setting up a light-heavyweight showdown between the two, but for the matchup to occur, Cormier has to fight one more time under the Strikeforce banner per his current contract.
The former Olympic wrestler, Cormier, was recently scheduled to fight UFC heavyweight Frank Mir at a Strikeforce event on Nov. 3, but Mir injured himself during training camp, and was force out the contest. Eventually, after several more fighters were pulled from the event due to injuries, the Strikeforce Nov. 3 event was cancelled altogether.
As of now, Cormier is scheduled to fight on a Strikeforce event in 2013, but his opponent is unknown.
NSCA - CSCS
Anyone know what Jake Shields was busted for?
The Colorado Boxing Commission has fined UFC middleweight Jake Shields $5,000 and changed his win over Ed Herman in Denver, Colo. on Aug. 11 to a no-contest for testing positive for a "prohibited substance" in a post-fight drug test.
In a statement released by his management team last week, Shields admitted to using an illegal substance prior to UFC 150. He also accepted the six-month suspension, which will expire in February, that was handed down by the commission.
"This was a mistake that I fully regret," Shields stated. "I have shared this issue with my family and the UFC and I have apologized to them, and now I apologize to the fans. I promise this will never occur again in my fighting career."
At this time, the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agency has not confirmed what prohibited substance Shields tested positive for.
Shields (27-6-1) returned to the 185-pound weight class against Herman after a four-fight run in the welterweight division.
A former middleweight champion under Strikeforce, he is 3-2 since signing with the UFC in 2010.
NSCA - CSCS
Jake Shields has been fined $5,675 and his win over Ed Herman at UFC 150 has been overturned to a no-contest to go along with an existing six-month suspension following failed drug test.
A few days ago, it was revealed that Jake Shields failed his UFC 150 drug test after his victory over Ed Herman in what was the former Strikeforce Middleweight Champion's return to 185 pounds back on Aug. 11, 2012 in Denver, Colorado.
Rather than making excuses, Shields admitted to the transgression via his management team, apologizing to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and his fans while accepting the six-month suspension handed down to him by the Colorado Boxing Commission.
Now, MMA Fighting brings word that the Cesar Gracie fighter was also fined $5,675, which includes a 10-percent ‘additional surcharge' by the Executive Director of Department of Regulatory Agencies, according to the report.
Furthermore, Shields' win over "Short Fuse" has been overturned to a no-contest (NC).
It's good news for Herman, who keeps his three fight win streak intact, while Shields drops to a record of 2-2-1 with the UFC following a 15-fight win streak before making a successful Octagon debut against Martin Kampmann back at UFC 121 in 2010, which earned him a title shot against Georges St. Pierre.
Despite these new revelations, it's still not clear what Jake tested positive for. The proud Vegan is eligible to return to action in February of 2013.
NSCA - CSCS
ANS PERFORMANCE REPRESENTATIVE
NSCA - CSCS
Stephan Bonnar did his best to hurt Anderson Silva on Saturday at UFC 153, but he didn’t really come close before the UFC middleweight champion put him away in the opening round.
The win was Silva’s 16th in the UFC. His eighth came against Patrick Cote, who recently joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show to discuss what it’s like to be in the Octagon with the sport’s pound-for-pound king.
“It’s very complicated to fight this guy because you never know what’s going to happen or what he’s going to do,” Cote said. “We saw what he did Saturday night. Once again he did something new. He was staying against the fence and he was playing with Bonnar. Bonnar is no joke. Bonnar is a good fighter. He’s tough. He’s durable, and [Silva] was playing with him like a little kid.”
Cote fought Silva in October 2008 at UFC 90. He made it into the third round before the fight was stopped when he tore his ACL.
“It’s hard to explain how to fight him,” Cote said, “because if you go forward, he’s behind you. You try to hit him, and he’s not there. It’s very, very weird.”
Lasting 10-plus minutes with the Brazilian is a feat in itself, though Cote wasn’t able to do much damage. Few have.
“It’s hard to hit him very clean with a very powerful shot,” Cote said. “That’s why it’s hard to punch him very, very hard, because he’s moving so fast and he’s playing with the angles very, very well.”
Silva has also been known to play with his opponents. He’ll drop his hands and invite an attack, only to dodge whatever is thrown at him.
“You have to stay on your game plan,” Cote said when asked what to do when Silva starts playing in the cage. “It’s very, very hard. I remember [against] me, he was playing with his hands. He was doing some crazy footwork, like the new Bruce Lee or something like that, but I would stay on my game plan, but that was very, very hard for me because I like to go forward. I like to push the pace, but at the time, I knew that was exactly what he wanted.”
At one point Saturday, Silva not only dropped his guard but actually allowed Bonnar to hit him. Cote believes Bonnar hesitated to commit full power to those shots, thinking he might leave himself exposed. Still, Bonnar did land, and Silva didn’t seem fazed.
“I think he’s very, very confident about himself and he thinks that he’s unbeatable,” Cote said of Silva. “He thinks that nobody can beat him, nobody can hurt him. Saturday night he received an elbow right in the face. He received a right cross right in his face and he was standing there and he was talking to his cornerman … . He was like, ‘All right, calm down, guys. I know what I’m doing.’ He’s so in control about his game, so in control in his head. That’s why I think he’s so dangerous.”
As far as Silva’s own attack, Cote thinks it’s his accuracy that makes him so deadly.
“I received more [powerful] shots by other fighters in my career, but the accuracy is just insane,” Cote said. “He’s very accurate. He’s not throwing anything for nothing. Every time he throws something, it has a target. I think that’s why he’s so impressive -- he’s so accurate.”
The perfect example might have been Saturday, when Bonnar came off the cage and Silva planted a knee in his solar plexus. Bonnar dropped, and after a few follow-up punches, the fight was over.
“He landed the knee right there on purpose,” Cote said. “He didn’t miss the shot. He didn’t miss the knee on the face. He drilled the knee right on the plexus. That’s what he wanted to do. His accuracy was right on target.”
NSCA - CSCS
According to reports from Tatame.com, 12 million Brazilians watched UFC 153 featuring Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar on the Globo TV network. Continued strong ratings should make the UFC's plans to put together a series of "regional" cards in Brazil in 2013 more likely.
Tatame.com is reporting that over 12 million viewers tuned in live for UFC 153 on Globo TV. This is down considerably from the last two UFC's held in Brazil. UFC 147 drew a reported 20 million Brazilian viewers and UFC 142 was watched by a reported 23 million in Brazil.
The UFC is carried by Globo TV in Brazil, that country's largest network. Since the break through Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort fight at UFC 126, the market has been the fastest growing in the world for the UFC. The debut season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil drew an average of 10 million viewers per episode.
Last week UFC exec Marshall Zelaznik hinted at plans to launch a regional fight series in Brazil. The promotion has talked about launching regional series in international markets in the past with plans falling through in both the UK and Japan.
NSCA - CSCS
It’s been more than a year since the last time welterweight icon Matt Hughes took to the Octagon and, to hear Hughes tell it, fans won’t be seeing him inside the infamous eight-sided cage ever again. After suffering back-to-back knockouts in his previous two tilts, Hughes initially stated he was taking a break from the sport and planned to focus on life after MMA unless the right opportunity came his way. However, with things quiet on that front, it looks like Hughes has accepted he has indeed fought for the last time.
“I’ve not announced my retirement, but right now it looks like I’m fully retired. The UFC still treats me well so I can be retired,” revealed Hughes in an interview with the Iowa Daily Gate. “It’s just funny, when God puts you on a road, you don’t know where you are going. I have all the faith that he put me there, and I have to thank him from that.”
With his career behind him, Hughes is enjoying life as a farmer and outdoorsman. Though his current ventures may not bring the excitement or attention he received as one of the greatest welterweights to ever enter the ring, the 39-year old has no complaints and is enjoying the
turn his life has taken.
“I’ve got a hunting show, which I love, on The Outdoor Channel. I’ll stay with the hunting show. I like to travel. I like to hunt, so that suits me well. I’m helping my brother with the family farm. Right now, he is in the combine cutting beans. I still am very close to the family farm,” explained Hughes. “It’s funny. When I was a kid I couldn’t wait to get off the farm or stop working. Now, I live real close to the farm, and I go to bed at night thinking about what I’m going to do at the farm the next day. I’m not happy until the next morning when my feet hit the ground and I’m going to the farm. I can’t wait to work.”
Assuming Hughes is indeed done in the UFC he will hang his gloves up with a 45-9 record including 35 stoppages. Among the opponents the powerful grappler beat in his career are the likes of Matt Serra, Renzo Gracie, Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg, B.J. Penn, and Georges St-Pierre.
NSCA - CSCS