OS's review of BioMend

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Applied Nutriceuticals hooked me up with a bottle of their antioxidant blend BioMend. When they made the offer I was thrilled to be chosen for a review on the product. First, I would like to give a brief overture on the benefits to each individual ingredient. Most of my information is summarized from various pieces of literature I either own or have researched. I will not try to evaluate my experience in regards to any single component, that’s just silly. Instead I will give a detailed description of my overall experiences with BioMend. In addition, I will give my recommendations to who may benefit from BioMend and a few reasons why.

What BioMend claims:
-Neutralize free radicals
-Support healthy metabolism
-Promote immune system function
-Support cardiovascular health

The BioMend Blend:
ACAI –
So here’s the deal with acai: this “superfood” (I hate that term) come from acai palm tree (Euterpe oleracea) that populates much of Brazil. Jam packed with anthocyanins and flabonoids, acai is believed to be a potent agent in protecting the body from free radicals and other metabolic by-products. Although there is minimal research giving hard evidence to support the claim, many people swear by it. These flavanoids (12 in total) in acai include homoorientin, taxifolin, deoxyhexose, scoparin, and low levels of resveratrol. Sounds nice, but blueberries still beat it as a far as concentration.
Acai has shown to have a mild anti-inflammatory mechanism by inhibiting cyclooxygenase (COX-1, COX-2) which are responsible for activating platelet functions. Many people believe that acai can be used as a method for fat loss. This theory comes from the macronutrient content of the food: acai’s fat content is mainly oils bound to polyphenols primarily oleic acid (56.2%), palmitic acid (24.1%) and linoleic acid (12.5%) – we all know these components are wonderful help to lower non-HDL in the bloodstream.
Please note, people are starting to take it out of hand. Acai will NOT enlarge your penis, increase sexual virility, or prevent chronic illness. On the topic of illness, acai has shown to lower stress on the body by peroxidase and other oxygenated by-products from neutrophils. It also has a mild stimulatory affect on NO. Acai can potentially promote a more healthy non-specific immune function.

STRAWBERRY EXTRACT
A lot of bodybuilders avoid fruit, and understandably so. Well, there’s no denying that fruits have many beneficial components to overall health. So BioMend helps make the compromise by adding strawberry extract.
Once an aphrodisiac of Ancient Rome, it has been found that one serving (8 berries) contains more vitamin C than an orange. According to researchers at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Alnarp, and Lund University, extracts from strawberries inhibited proliferation of breast cancer cells by 37.9% and colon cancer cells by 49.7%. Organically grown strawberries inhibited breast cancer cells by 53.1% and colon cancer cells by 60%.

Many antioxidants have been clinically proven to lower the risk of atherosclerosis and strawberry plays a leading role. In addition to reducing inflammatory response by inhibiting cyclo-oxygenase, strawberry extract will raise HDL working synergistically with other antioxidants which lower non-HDL. These functions combined prevent the buildup of plaque in the bloodstream and abnormal platelet activation that could cause a clot.

GRAPE SEED EXTRACT-
For some time now I’ve used grape seed oil as a staple fat source in my diet. I find it far superior to many other unsaturated fats for cut dieting for mere pennies more. BioMend has taken the best of the grape seed properties and added it into their antioxidant blend to give the same health benefits.
I’m sure we’ve all heard about how a glass (or two) of red wine can greatly benefit the body. We’ve all been exposed to information recently about reservatrol. Grape seed extract intends to capture these benefits without messing up any kind of diet with alcohol and wine sugar intake. I’ve always had a glass of red wine in my diet to stimulate metabolism, promote sleep, and keep me healthy. I still do. Plenty of flavaonoids and polyphenols to go around. Funny how some may consider it a “waste product” yet it provides functionality as an anti-inflammatory, anti-cancerous, and anti-microbial while diminishing allergic responses. The procyanidins of grape seed extract and beneficial in anti-arthiritic – kind of nice to know with all the joint stress of resistance training.

QUERCETIN DIHYDRATE (Co-Enzyme Q)-
Another popular flavanoid available in any supermarket stand alone. An anti-inflammatory for its suppression of histamine response which then doubles over into the allergy department. Quercetin inhibits the proliferation and migration of aortic smooth muscle cells, concomitant with inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation. These findings provide new insights and a rationale for the potential use of quercetin in the prophylaxis of cardiovascular diseases. How about this: it’s an aromatase inhibitor! A fun plus for natural athletes who look to compete in drug tested organizations dabbling in test boosting supplements.

BLUEBERRY EXTRACT 4:1-
I’m not quite sure what the 4:1 is about, but whatever – it does the trick. WE all know blueberries are a wonderful source of anti-oxidants, polyphenols with lipolytic properties, and taste delicious. Unfortunately, many times our carb depleted diet might not be in agreement with them. BioMend can help reap those benefits without messing up diet by providing the extract that I responsible for those lovely wellness perks.
Blueberries have something called “P vitamins” whicb have been found to strengthen capillary function and peripheral blood circulation. Going on the immune system premise – blueberried are an anti-viral, and anti-histamine. Based on data from the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (Boston, MA), these berries are among the fruits with the highest antioxidant activity. Blueberry has also been shown to prevent UTI.
As far as mental energy blueberry enhances dopamine response in the brain in addition to increasing membrane fluidity. In combination, blueberry in diet can improve mental efficiency, spatial memory, attention, and problem-solving function. So get your think on!
HAWTHORN BERRY EXTRACT-
A small concentration, yet so potent. It has al the usual gods – disease prevention, better circulation, lower LDL, etc. But what makes Hawthorn special?
Europe has adopted hawthorn as a safe, effective, and highly beneficial herb for treatment of heart disease. Hawthorn WILL correct any arrhythmia in the heart and relieve symptoms of congestive heart failure. Unlike other ingredients and extracts on the market that “may” provide health benefits Western Europe, especially Germany, adopts hawthorn as an approved treatment to heart disease. They don’t just suggest it benefits, they claim certainty. Originally, hawthorn was suggested in medicinal treatment from digestive issues and insomnia then later to be found its effects on the cardiovascular system.
Hawthorn has shown in rat studies to be an anti-hyperlgycemic agent. This is great for individuals with diabetes, insulin issues, and those wonderful low carb diets. It won’t affect basal insulin levels, just act as blood sugar regulation.
What one of the most frequent concerns by people using anabolic supplements? High blood pressure? Well, hawthorn is a proven blood pressure and heart rhythm regulator.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE-
I dosed it two caps post-workout. Between the lifting, fat burners, carb depleted diet, pre-workouts, aminos, and all the other junk I take I’m under a lot of oxidative stress. BioMend alleviated a lot of this internal tension I felt and gave me a nice “ahhhh” feeling. The body felt less irritable and more sustained. Cognitive energy became more clear and consistent. Even digestive movement became more efficient. Granted, some of these positives develop over time and build. This is from about a month’s supple, imagine the benefits of having this a staple product in your everyday regimen. I will be investing in BioMend myself and certainly the first name to recommend for anyone interested in improving health and well-being by relieving internal stress from training, diet, and other day to day activities.
Questions I have for future: I wonder how this would fare in protecting or relieving a hard night’s drinking? Any chance we could switch out the acai for something like reservatrol? How would this procudt benefit people of more extremes: very young/old for example. I’m trying to think of the kinds of blood work that might give some quantitative numbers to show its effectiveness. Also in illness prevention/remedy. There was a lot of discussion on how it boost immune function, I’d love to see some clinical trials. I’m certain long term use would be an anti-aging… that’s just a given.
So whether you’re the average fitness nut, in a stressful ketogenic diet, cycling anabolic/adrogenic compounds, looking to boost your immune system, want to prevent aging, or diagnosed with a heart condition I have a suggestion: BioMend.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Very nice post, thank you for taking the time to be informative with ingredient breakdowns.

Clinical trials of the blend or ingredients separately?

Lastly I'd be happy to go out and have some (more like a lot) of drinks and see how Bio Mend would help. Haha nah but I'm sure you'd still be hungover. Side note Bio Mend was the first AN product I ever purchased. :)

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking clinical trials with the product overall. I'm sure theres some literature on the individual ingredient (especially hawthorn) but would always enjoy looking through those too.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
nice review!!! this is in my staples for sure and suggest it in PCT and on Cycle to those who dont take it regularly.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^Absolutely must on cycle. As for post-cycle, yes: a couple things here have AI properties and will relieve organ stress. Regardless of what you're doing it's a great idea to have this with you.