Body Mortar Label Concerns

1. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Body Mortar Label Concerns

Hi AMS, I was going on holiday so thought I would buy some BCAAs for intra workout and any other times I needed it.

Naturally I looked for the most cost effective to a point, price wise it was between this and RecoverPro by AI.

I went for Body Mortar as I have tried samples of it, the taste is nice, it mixes well and Royd kindly chased up problems with samples not being sent out by a UK distributor so it created some brand loyalty. I bought two tubs of different flavours.

The single product on the website I purchased from stated the ingredients were
    "4:1:1 Growth Complex
    L-Leucine
    L-Isoleucine
    L-Valine

Revival Agent:
    Glutamine"

So, I assumed this was the CF version and bought it, those were the only ingredients stated apart from Citric acid, flavours, colours and sweeteners.

When I got it I realised that 30g of each 45g serving are carbs and 15g are sugars. I can't see them listed anywhere in the ingredients list so have no idea what they are.

When I looked back on the website I realised that the nutritional information is there and carbs are listed, so it is my fault for not paying more attention. When buying a product and the only ingredients are amino acids, I didn't even think to look at the c:f and calorie content.

I emailed the company I purchased from and they kindly offered a refund. As I was leaving for my holiday the next morning I could not arrange one so I am working my way through the first tub now. If I had the time I would have got a refund and bought the CF option from another website or RecoverPro.

I don't know labelling laws in USA but is this legitimate? The carb content is 66%~ of the container yet the ingredients(s) aren't listed.

The distributor acted very quickly and it is partly my fault for not checking the nutritional information to realise the majority of the product isn't listed in the ingredients.

I am concerned and not very pleased. I don't want to take in 90g(?) of carbs for 30g of BCAAs and 7.5g of glutamine.

Is the carb content correct, if so then what are the ingredients listed? I am using the scoop and despite using 16.5 scoops of the product so far, I am barely a third into the tub. Something isn't making sense.

Ben
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.73%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Just so I'm clear the label does not appear like the following? With Total CHO listed as 30 grams/serving?

Name:  sm_body-mortar-facts.gif
Views: 157
Size:  15.5 KB

If not the label does sound incorrect. I have never heard of this issue so PM me the store name you purchased it from and I will make sure they are an authorized seller.

If you were just looking at what the website has listed up we do not control that, although we can certainly ask them. All of our carb versions are black tubs with black labels. The Carb Free is a white tub with white labels.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

very ood. thats alot of sugar but in a postWO drink im not surprized.
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Thanks for getting back to me Royd. Yes, that is the same label I am looking at.

The concern is that there is no ingredient listed for 30g of carbohydrates (15g sugar, 15g not) so when buying the product from looking at the ingredients list (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Glutamine plus flavours etc) I didn't realise it contained any carbs at all.

When I bought it because those were the only ingredients listed I made an inaccurate assumption that it was the CF version and not advertised correctly as there was no source of carbohydrates in the ingredients list.

When it came through I realised there was a huge carb content which was not featured in the ingredients.

Does that make more sense?
    PES Representative
  5. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%

Quote Originally Posted by Blergs View Post
    very ood. thats alot of sugar but in a postWO drink im not surprized.
    Not that it matters particularly but it is recommended on the tub to take it pre and intra. I was intending to use it as a source of BCAAs intra and between meals.

If it was post workout then it would have made more sense and I would have expected it. I was surprised when the tub came through and it had 30g of carbs per 45g serving when I hadn't read any carbohydrate sources on the ingredients list. I thought I was getting an extremely good value BCAA + Glutamine product rather than a formula where these ingredients were less than 40% of the total weight.
    PES Representative
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me Royd. Yes, that is the same label I am looking at.

The concern is that there is no ingredient listed for 30g of carbohydrates (15g sugar, 15g not) so when buying the product from looking at the ingredients list (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Glutamine plus flavours etc) I didn't realise it contained any carbs at all.

When I bought it because those were the only ingredients listed I made an inaccurate assumption that it was the CF version and not advertised correctly as there was no source of carbohydrates in the ingredients list.

When it came through I realised there was a huge carb content which was not featured in the ingredients.

Does that make more sense?

Ah I get what you are saying. The way that label reads though is normal for US products that are supplements. On a food item, the full ingredients for everything are listed (so the L-leucine would be listed both in that nutrition info box as well as ingredients) but on supplements only the ingredients that aren't listed in the info box are detailed. I never thought about it before, but that is the way the labeling is structured.
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Ah I get what you are saying. The way that label reads though is normal for US products that are supplements. On a food item, the full ingredients for everything are listed (so the L-leucine would be listed both in that nutrition info box as well as ingredients) but on supplements only the ingredients that aren't listed in the info box are detailed. I never thought about it before, but that is the way the labeling is structured.
    Thanks for the clarification, I wondered if there were different legalities between countries.

So, they do not have to declare what the 30g of carbs per 45g serving are, i.e., they don't have to list dextrose or maltodextrin in the actual ingredients?
    PES Representative
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Thanks for the clarification, I wondered if there were different legalities between countries.

So, they do not have to declare what the 30g of carbs per 45g serving are, i.e., they don't have to list dextrose or maltodextrin in the actual ingredients?
    not if its what is considered a supplement vs a food item, and that is considered one of the "active" ingredients as far as the supplementation goes. So in a protein powder (which is considered a food item) they list everything. Its the difference between whether that label reads "Supplement Facts" or "Nutrition Information".
  9. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%

And honestly, I never realized this before reading this, but its pretty interesting. I've checked a bunch of my products and its a little hit or miss. VPX Powershock has 2g of carbs with no listing of what it could be from (its all bcaas, and sucralose for sweetener), but other products sometimes list full ingredients. Bizarre really.
  10. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%

Ok, that makes sense, although admittedly very strange. I buy a product where the only ingredients listed are amino acids and they only actually equate to 33%~ of what I was buying. When I get home I will have to replace it with RecoverPro or something else. They didn't sell the CF version there. Out of interest, can someone clarify what the carbohydrates actually are please? I would guess at maltodextrin and dextrose in a 50:50 ratio.
    PES Representative
  11. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.73%

Yes it's a 50:50 malto/dex blend.
    ForeRunner Labs

12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%

Easy, when you say it is normal for US supplements does that mean that this is the only way they can make the label or are they entitled to not declare the carb content in the ingredients list but can do if they wish? I was not aware of this on US supplements so will have to be more diligent in the future.

Royd, what CC scoop is supposed to come in the tub? I have had over 20 servings but am not even half way through. I would weigh it but I am on holiday and I have no idea where I would find digital scales in a remote part of Bulgaria lol.
    PES Representative
  13. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%

Easy, when you say it is normal for US supplements does that mean that this is the only way they can make the label or are they entitled to not declare the carb content in the ingredients list but can do if they wish? I was not aware of this on US supplements so will have to be more diligent in the future.
    Having gone through more of my supplements a few manufacturers do include a full ingredients. So it looks like the requirement is that it be at least listed in the supplement facts, only other ingredients not listed in the supplement facts are required to be listed, but they can include a full ingredient listing if they want. Whereas if its a Nutrition Information label, they are required to separately have a full ingredients list as well.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.73%

So the scoop is a 48cc measurex. That means it would hold 48 grams roughly. That was the closest to 45 grams without spending thousands of dollars on a unique mold. This is standard in our industry.
    ForeRunner Labs

Similar Forum Threads

1. Body Mortar SALE!
    By Royd The Noyd in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 09:25 AM
  2. Blowing my body out of the water with AMS Body Mortar- Review
    By schwellington in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM