ephedrine on beta receptors

  1. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33558
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    81.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    ephedrine on beta receptors


    Patrick, Do you share Dr. Scott Connelys view the ephedrine is good for muscle building on beta receptors?
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

  2. New Member
    staple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    248
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    49.56%

    just in case patrick is not familiar with his views, can you post it here? or a link to it's overview?
  3. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    is ephedrine good for muscle building in a fashion similar to clenbuterol? That is an interesting question. I have always thought it could share at least some of the muscle effects of beta2 agonists. Probably not to the same degree. Does Connelly quote any actual direct studies showing effects on muscle?
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
    •   
       

  4. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    ephedrine of course does not directly interact with beta2 receptors however it stimulates the release of catecholamines that do
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  5. Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,312
    Rep Power
    775524
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    91.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    is ephedrine good for muscle building in a fashion similar to clenbuterol? That is an interesting question. I have always thought it could share at least some of the muscle effects of beta2 agonists. Probably not to the same degree. Does Connelly quote any actual direct studies showing effects on muscle?
    I think there was a whole episode of bodyrx where he discusses it.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

  6. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33558
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    81.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    is ephedrine good for muscle building in a fashion similar to clenbuterol? That is an interesting question. I have always thought it could share at least some of the muscle effects of beta2 agonists. Probably not to the same degree. Does Connelly quote any actual direct studies showing effects on muscle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    I think there was a whole episode of bodyrx where he discusses it.
    this I heard it on a radio show over at rx muscle and he said he took the stance ephedrine does build muscle.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  7. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    ephedrine of course does not directly interact with beta2 receptors however it stimulates the release of catecholamines that do
    1R,2S-ephedrine is a potent direct beta receptor agonist.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10449190
  8. Senior Member
    Clemenza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    557666
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Subbed
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  9. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    I think there was a whole episode of bodyrx where he discusses it.

    and u stayed awake through the whole thing?
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  10. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    1R,2S-ephedrine is a potent direct beta receptor agonist.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10449190

    is that the one in synthetic ephedrine tabs?
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  11. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    is that the one in synthetic ephedrine tabs?
    Yep
  12. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    1R,2S-ephedrine is a potent direct beta receptor agonist.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10449190
    Good read madchemist thanks, now...PA thoughts? and also yours madchemist, good way to dose and use for muscle building goals? Worth it? Realistic?
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  13. Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,312
    Rep Power
    775524
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    91.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    and u stayed awake through the whole thing?
    I listen to hear what Vince has to say lol.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

  14. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Good read madchemist thanks, now...PA thoughts? and also yours madchemist, good way to dose and use for muscle building goals? Worth it? Realistic?
    madchemist is the neuro guy so i will let him handle this stuff
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  15. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Good read madchemist thanks, now...PA thoughts? and also yours madchemist, good way to dose and use for muscle building goals? Worth it? Realistic?
    Most of the studies which show anabolism from clenbuterol in animals use doses that would be intolerable (i.e. side effects) in humans.

    However, there are some human studies which show an increase in lean muscle mass from clenbuterol in patients utilizing a ventricular assist device - not very generalizable.

    Furthermore, it would be hard to extrapolate the physiological effects of clenbuterol to ephedrine since their kinetics are so different (36 hour half-life versus 3-5 hours, respectively).
  16. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    madchemist is the neuro guy so i will let him handle this stuff
    I've not really explored this topic in depth, so correct me where I am wrong.
  17. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    I listen to hear what Vince has to say lol.

    i retired from that show a long time ago. i dont wanna talk for two hours on what the best ratios of branched chains are. or how much protein you should eat at night.

    so many subjects i thought coulda been discussed. but connelly called the shots and he would only talk about what was in his comfort zone. i didnt really have that much to offer on those subjects, nor was i enthusiastic about those subjects, so i split that scene
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  18. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    I've not really explored this topic in depth, so correct me where I am wrong.

    one thing i know is the anabolic effects of beta2 agonists in animals are rapid and profound, but dissipate after a short period of time

    i mean they actually reverse after a period of time.
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  19. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    Most of the studies which show anabolism from clenbuterol in animals use doses that would be intolerable (i.e. side effects) in humans.

    However, there are some human studies which show an increase in lean muscle mass from clenbuterol in patients utilizing a ventricular assist device - not very generalizable.

    Furthermore, it would be hard to extrapolate the physiological effects of clenbuterol to ephedrine since their kinetics are so different (36 hour half-life versus 3-5 hours, respectively).
    Well this pretty much throws it off the rack then haha, I can not bring myself to picture someone so desperate to use Clen, to build muscle, with a VAD be it R/L/ or BiVAD haha, but then again...Human kind never ceases to surprise me with their occurrences. And yeah as for the half life of ephedrine, I guess it would be hard to make assumptions on such different kinetics as you point it out. Aw well, ephedrine will remain part of my cutting arsenal only then.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  20. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    one thing i know is the anabolic effects of beta2 agonists in animals are rapid and profound, but dissipate after a short period of time

    i mean they actually reverse after a period of time.

    Right, receptor downregulation.

    The medical world has explored the reverse, mostly in the context of congestive heart failure.

    Beta1 blockers result in cardiac beta receptor upregulation, whereas alpha/beta blockers (labetalol) do not.
  21. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I can not bring myself to picture someone so desperate to use Clen, to build muscle, with a VAD be it R/L/ or BiVAD
    Clenbuterol, with the addition of a beta1 blocker, is very beneficial to cardiac tissue, directly. This is why physicians place patients who require a VAD on clenbuterol.

    Beta1 agonism is what (partially) mediates dystrophic cardiac remodeling.
  22. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    Clenbuterol, with the addition of a beta1 blocker, is very beneficial to cardiac tissue, directly. This is why physicians place patients who require a VAD on clenbuterol.

    Beta1 agonism is what (partially) mediates dystrophic cardiac remodeling.
    True, but this is WITH a beta1 blocker, not just using clen in high dosages and a vad for building muscle mass ! It was a sardonic pun if you may haha.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  23. Banned
    madchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    86.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    True, but this is WITH a beta1 blocker, not just using clen in high dosages and a vad for building muscle mass ! It was a sardonic pun if you may haha.
    touche
  24. Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,312
    Rep Power
    775524
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    91.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    i retired from that show a long time ago. i dont wanna talk for two hours on what the best ratios of branched chains are. or how much protein you should eat at night.

    so many subjects i thought coulda been discussed. but connelly called the shots and he would only talk about what was in his comfort zone. i didnt really have that much to offer on those subjects, nor was i enthusiastic about those subjects, so i split that scene
    I believe it's a postponed or discontinued show now anyways. Since they launched their myotropics line or whatever it's called.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

  25. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554325
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by madchemist View Post
    Right, receptor downregulation.

    The medical world has explored the reverse, mostly in the context of congestive heart failure.

    Beta1 blockers result in cardiac beta receptor upregulation, whereas alpha/beta blockers (labetalol) do not.

    my thoughts on beta2 agonists are to not use them until like days before a contest or something.

    and then stop. and hope that u can still respond the next time you do a contest

    this obviously is directed towards competive physique athletes
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  26. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428708
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.63%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold

    my thoughts on beta2 agonists are to not use them until like days before a contest or something.

    and then stop. and hope that u can still respond the next time you do a contest

    this obviously is directed towards competive physique athletes
    This is actually a solid and respectable point of view, problem is that some (I think myself included sadly) people develop a psychological need for them since when used properly they do present themselves with good results, though like you mentioned, the likelihood of continued response upon repetitive use decreases and thus makes the "needing" and "abusing" of them counterproductive haha
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  27. New Member
    southsideguy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    44224
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    75.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza
    Well this pretty much throws it off the rack then haha, I can not bring myself to picture someone so desperate to use Clen, to build muscle, with a VAD be it R/L/ or BiVAD haha, but then again...Human kind never ceases to surprise me with their occurrences. And yeah as for the half life of ephedrine, I guess it would be hard to make assumptions on such different kinetics as you point it out. Aw well, ephedrine will remain part of my cutting arsenal only then.
    Clen is not that bad...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. beta receptors
    By rhino65 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
  2. Advanced Fat Loss Discussion (alpha/beta receptors)
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
  3. Trying to Upregulate Beta Receptors
    By baitslinger in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 02:40 PM
  4. Beta-2 Receptors and Benadryll
    By thenomad in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 10:12 PM
  5. Up regluating beta-2 receptors
    By E-Swift25 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in