estrogen blocker

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
Anyone have any advice on estrogen blockers..... I take a high dose of androgel daily... my doc wants me at 500, medium normal,, I shoot for 1000-1200, high normal ....., my doctor won't test me for estrogen,,,,, I'm concerned about aromatization.....

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Why won't he test you for estrogen? if you tell him to test you, he should. If he doesn't, see another doctor.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
When you say "high dose" - how many pumps per day are we talking?

Your definition of "high" and mine may differ significantly.

You should be on a pretty easily modifiable titration schedule if your doc has prescribed this appropriately.

I agree with the above post; sometimes "resistant" docs are much more amicable to doing things you want if you take in aromatization research when you express your concerns.

Alternatively, you can have an estradiol lab drawn through privatemdlabs.com if you are willing to pay for it, and it sounds like you are. While you could do doc shopping to get it covered, this would take some time to accomplish (i.e. - search, find, make appointment, etc...) and you may desire an answer "NOW" so make certain your expectations are realistic.

And, you can still schedule with another doc if you are inclined to seek a second opinion and management...but my suggestion would be to be proactive in the interim.

I'd get that baseline lab before I go adding any anti-E agents into the scheme which could induce further suppression of your axis and actually do more harm than good.

D_

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
Thanks for the lab info...... fyi I'm taking 12 pumps a day of 1%.... approximately 15g I think.... definitely prefer to get the test prior

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
I'm open for opinions and suggestions on my current regimine..... this is what I'm taking and a rough estimate of my general diet....
I run 20 miles a week, do yoga three times and lift hard and heavy four times.... at 230 and 18% bf now.... reasonable goal is 220 and less than 10% bf

15g 1% androgel
5g creatine
20g arginine
10 g ornithine
2.5 g acetyl l-carnitine
30g glutamine
3 b-100 caps
500mg pantothenic acid
1 twinlab daily one
1000 iu vit. E
6 fish oil caps
500 mg lysine
50mg DHEA
1/4 CUP lecithin

Breakfast: 15oz of salmon, 6 eggs, 1/4 cup rice, 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup ground flax scrambled.... banana, lecithin, seaweed, skim milk smoothie

Canned sardines and cooked chicken breasts for snacks all day after that....

Post workout is a couple boiled eggs and about 4oz of almond butter

Generally try to getat least 300g protein and 100-200 good carbs a day and limit my total calories to less than 3000

broons

Awards
  • Established
I'm open for opinions and suggestions on my current regimine..... this is what I'm taking and a rough estimate of my general diet....
I run 20 miles a week, do yoga three times and lift hard and heavy four times.... at 230 and 18% bf now.... reasonable goal is 220 and less than 10% bf

15g 1% androgel
5g creatine
20g arginine
10 g ornithine
2.5 g acetyl l-carnitine
30g glutamine
3 b-100 caps
500mg pantothenic acid
1 twinlab daily one
1000 iu vit. E
6 fish oil caps
500 mg lysine
50mg DHEA
1/4 CUP lecithin

Breakfast: 15oz of salmon, 6 eggs, 1/4 cup rice, 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup ground flax scrambled.... banana, lecithin, seaweed, skim milk smoothie

Canned sardines and cooked chicken breasts for snacks all day after that....

Post workout is a couple boiled eggs and about 4oz of almond butter

Generally try to getat least 300g protein and 100-200 good carbs a day and limit my total calories to less than 3000
1000 iu of vitamin E? I'm gonna assume its alpha tocopherol? I would definitely cut that dosage in half at least.
Also, at that dose of ALCAR I would consider adding some ALA. there is some evidence that high doses of ALCAR (>1000mg) could be pro-oxidative. ALA may help combat this.

dinoiii

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
1000 iu of vitamin E? I'm gonna assume its alpha tocopherol? I would definitely cut that dosage in half at least.
I agree if this is alpha-tocopherol; the dose is no good. He is likely to see better testosterone results with tocotrienols or something like Primordial's Toco-8 product.

Also, at that dose of ALCAR I would consider adding some ALA. there is some evidence that high doses of ALCAR (>1000mg) could be pro-oxidative. ALA may help combat this.
Limited to the Ames study; but "some evidence" as a general suggestion may leave people thinking there were multiple studies.

I do agree, however, that anti-oxidants have high utility when using anything to ramp up mitochondrial functioning. ALA is, in fact, a good choice - but certainly not the only option; it's the one that's been patented...let's put it that way.

I use upwards of 9 grams per day of collective carnitines and have done so for years on and off ALA; but always using some form of antioxidant.

D_

broons

Awards
  • Established
I would even say drop the twinlab daily one. Most of what's in it is not that spectacular. Too much folic acid and selenium for my taste for one.