Stevia: Rebaunoside A or Stevioside

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Stevia: Rebaunoside A or Stevioside

Which extract should we get.

Stevioside shows to help diabetics with Post prandial glucose levels, but Rebaundoside A has been accepted as the "norm" extract i guess you would say in terms of sweetener

what do you think id best in terms of saftey, sweeteness, and palatability?

Thanks

2. JRC
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.67%

Good question, I'd like to know as well. Love a little Stevia in my morning cup of coffee and my weekly layne norton cheesecake!
  3. Featured Author
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.74%

Let's try and understand the relationship of the two first. Stevia extract powder is intensely sweet because it consists of various sweet glycosides extracted from stevia leaves. It's color is semiwhite to white. It contains no calories and suggested as "no carbohydrates" (but we'll talk more about this later on). The intensity of sweetness and it's aftertaste depend upon the ratio of the various glycosides to one another and the product's purity. In most instances, the greater the content of rebaudioside A, the less noticeable the aftertaste and the more intense the sweetness. However, this is not a hard-and-fast rule and may not always hold true owing to various techniques used for extraction and processing.

Stevia leaves normally have VERY low quantity of rebaudioside A (which is 400 times sweeter than sugar). However, in recent years, botanists have developed plants with significantly increased amount of both steviosides and rebaudioside A. They have accomplished this through cross-pollination, using honeybees. Also, food scientists have discovered that when certain enzymes are added, stevioside cna be converted into rebaudioside A, thus increasing the sweet taste while diminishing the aftertaste. Whether or not this enzyme action affects the safety of the product is unknown, BUT UNLIKELY (We're moving on almost 42 years of use of Stevia in Japan).

There are different brands being marketed. The quality, the content of rebaudioside A, and thus the final taste will vary in the different brands (as you suggest). Look for brands that are standardized to 90% or higher steveosides. What this means is that the product is 90% steveosides and rebaudioside A and 10% other constituents of the stevia leaf. A product that is 80% steveoside is generally regarded as food grade and 90% or better as pharmaceutical grade. Now, the higher the content of rebaudioside A, the sweeter the product, and the better the taste. When the product indicates that it is standardized to a minimum 90% steviosides and 40% rebaudioside A, it means that of the 90% steviosides, 40% is rebaudioside A (and many label laws dictate this for anything above 10% rebaudioside A).

More rebaudioside will COST the manufacturer more and likely you more, but the increased cost may not be worth it. Which form of stevia you decide upon will be determined by your personal objective for using it. Are you using it for baking? This will impact what I suggest to do with it. Are you simply interested to slam some in your morning coffee or even green tea? This will impact what I suggest to do with it. If your goal is to simply reduce the number of calories or amount of conventional sweeteners in your diet but maintain a specific sweet taste, you may prefer to blend stevia with another natural sweetener like honey, sugar, or fructose.

Now this is supposed to be calorie free (by definition harbor less than 4 calories per gram and a glycemic index of virtually nil). Keep in mind that other sweeteners have been doing the label law thing for years, even though they are not truly calorie free (Coke Zero for instance has about 6 calories per 20 oz. bottle). Of course, after Pepsi Co. released Sobe drinks sweetened with Stevia, Coke released various softdrinks to limited parts of the country (NYC being a big one)...and example would be "Sprite Green" and this is supposed to upend splenda, nutrasweet, et al... and finally boast even less calories if any at all. I have not calculated the calories in it to verify it is, in fact, zero; however, I am just saying...if history repeats itself...be wary about blindly using it on a diet (although I suppose it's better than anything else currently available).

I will come back to this one later...

D_
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

thanks D, i found stuff thats (90% extracted to stevioside) seemingly OK, some are just labeled stevioside so i was unsure if it had the Reb-A in it

also i researched

Traumatin or (TALIN) as they called it. but cant find it anywhere, along with IMO (isomalto-oligosaccharides) again really with no luck in finding bulk powder.

I mainly would like it for coffee and cooking... Jerk chicken calls for some brown sugar to match the spice with something a little sweet, same with BBQ food etc so im trying to see how i can incorperate it into marinades.

Another reason for my keto question with the fibe due to IMO being fiber and inulin being a fiber.

Thanks again D

Similar Forum Threads

1. Stevia
    By protoculture in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 11:46 PM
  2. bulk stevia?
    By julius kelp in forum Recipes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 09:50 PM