"HARDGAINERíS" RECOMP WORKOUT

1. Featured Author
    Rochester, NY / Baltimore, MD / Round Lake, IL / St. Louis, MO / Southern CA

"HARDGAINERíS" RECOMP WORKOUT

"HARDGAINER’S" RECOMP WORKOUT

Originally posted online: March 30, 2008...this was a sample of a workout plan for those looking for sheer "recomp" effects - maximize fat loss while perhaps gaining a bit of muscle. A lot of people had a lot of success with it, so I felt it was a good idea to share it here for those who hadn't gotten the opportunity to check it out previously.

Basic Split:
    Monday: Tension 1: Upper Body PUSH + Lower Body QUAD-DOMINANT
    Tuesday: Tension 2: Upper Body PULL + Lower Body HAM-DOMINANT
    Wednesday: OFF
    Thursday: Metabolic Series Set
    Friday: Ancillary Circuits
    Saturday: OFF
    Sunday: OFF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday: Tension Workout 1

Part A: Upper Body – PUSH

1. Overhead Press (90 degree angle)
    2. Incline Bench (45 degree angle)
    3. Incline Bench (20-30 degree angle)
    4. Flat Bench (0 degree angle)
    5. Dips (Weighted)

Upper Body Notes: Exercises 1-4 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 5-6 reps with the first set and 8-12 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 5 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire upper-body push workout should only be comprised of 9 working sets.

Part B: Lower Body – QUAD-DOMINANT
    1. Front Squat
    2. Back Squat
    3. Lunge

Lower Body Notes: Exercises 1-2 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 8-10 reps with first set and 12-15 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 3 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire lower-body quad dominant workout should only be comprised of 5 working sets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday: Tension Workout 2

Part A: Upper Body – PULL
    1. Pull-Up (Pronated-Grip; Weighted)
    2. Upright Rows
    3. Bent-Over Row
    4. T-Bar Row
    5. Chin-Up (Supinated Grip; Weighted)

Upper Body Notes: Exercises 1-4 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 5-6 reps with the first set and 8-12 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 5 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire upper-body pull workout should only be comprised of 9 working sets.

Part B: Lower Body – HAM-DOMINANT
    1. Good Morning
    2. Deadlift
    3. Hyperextension (Weighted)

Lower Body Notes: Exercises 1-2 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 8-10 reps with first set and 12-15 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 3 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire lower-body ham dominant workout should only be comprised of 5 working sets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday: OFF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday: Metabolic Series
    1. Pull-Ups (un-weighted)
    2. Jump Squats (goal: 135 lbs.)
    3. Power Push-Ups (un-weighted)
    4. Barbell Pull-Press (goal: 135 lbs.)
    5. Hang Power-Clean (goal: 135 lbs.)
    6. Chin-Ups (un-weighted)

Metabolic Series Notes: Start with 3 sets completely through this series in rapid fashion, aiming for 20 reps each and a mere 2 minutes rest at the completion of each series. In other words, perform one series, rest for 2 minutes, perform another series, rest for 2 minutes, and perform your last series. When you can accomplish this with ease, add one additional series until you can accomplish 5 series through. Once you can accomplish 5 complete series at 20 reps without vomiting at all the suggested goals – you have reached max achievement on this training protocol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday: Ancillary Circuits

Part A: Forearms:
    1. Forward Curls
    2. Reverse Curls
    3. Hammer Curls
    20 reps each in rapid succession. Repeat twice through this circuit.

Part B: Calves
    1. Standing Calf Raises
    2. Seated Calf Raises
    3. Plate Drags
    20 reps each in rapid succession. A “Plate Drag” is a forward push of a designated weight on the ground to center forces on the tibialis anterior…a “rep” in this regard approximates one full push at the knee. Repeat twice through this circuit.

Part C: Abs
    1. Decline Sit Up
    2. Roman Chair Leg Raise
    3. Russian Twist (weighted)
    4. Suitcase Deadlifts
    20 reps each in rapid succession. Repeat twice through this circuit.
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author

2. Registered User

Looks good Dr,
    I need to start something new and I'm gonna give it a shot starting this Monday.
  3. Featured Author

Cool; let me know how it works for you.

D_
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Cool; let me know how it works for you.

D_
    Did the first workout today and enjoyed it. However, I struggle with front squats. Is there anything you recommend subing it out for while I try to increase my flexibility and form on them?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

Sorry for butting in here. Everyone struggles with exercises in which they and their bodies are not used to. Front squats are particularly hard to get use to, atleast in my experience. A rule of thumb for me is to lower the weight until I am comfortable with the movement and then increase the weight.
    A Hack Squat machine should help if you have access to one.
  6. Registered User

I might throw this in 1 week for a change up. )
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Just curious if this setup is strictly for "hardgainers". Im not exactly sure if im classified as a "hardgainer". I seem to put on mass fairly well when diet is in check, but always seem to hit a plateau with muscle mass so to speak.

Seems like a good routine for just about any lifter. I have read that anywhere from 75-90% of people would be considered "hardgainers'

Would i be ok using this program for a 6 weeks and re-evaluate things afterwards.

thanks
  8. Featured Author

Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    Just curious if this setup is strictly for "hardgainers". Im not exactly sure if im classified as a "hardgainer". I seem to put on mass fairly well when diet is in check, but always seem to hit a plateau with muscle mass so to speak.
    Most people who have tried this have gotten some level of success out of it, at least from a standpoint of recomp.

Seems like a good routine for just about any lifter. I have read that anywhere from 75-90% of people would be considered "hardgainers'
    I am probably inclined to believe you, but it is usually because people don't buy into the fact that there are really only two ways to lift (tension and metabolic) and everything else is simply a variant of that.

Would i be ok using this program for a 6 weeks and re-evaluate things afterwards.
    My recommendations always center on changing programs every 4 weeks; diet - every 12 weeks.

D_
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    Most people who have tried this have gotten some level of success out of it, at least from a standpoint of recomp.

I think i am inclined to try this program out and see what happens. Im an old fart (38), so the metabolic series interested me a lot, along with the rep ranges varying in the 2 sets.

I am probably inclined to believe you, but it is usually because people don't buy into the fact that there are really only two ways to lift (tension and metabolic) and everything else is simply a variant of that.

My recommendations always center on changing programs every 4 weeks; diet - every 12 weeks.

D_
    1) I think i am inclined to try this program out and see what happens. Im an old fart (38), so the metabolic series interested me a lot, along with the rep ranges varying in the 2 sets.

2) Doc, what is your take on a westside variant routine that incorporates both strength and hypertrophy, if there is such a thing. Just curious if I could post it and you could take a gander at it. If not, no biggie.

thanks
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

Surprised there has been limited response to this workout so far. I am hoping to start this next week.

Doc, I have read the previous posts on this and I cant find a recommendation for rest intervals for the two tension days...
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Very interesting take on exercise.
    Someone should do this for the full 12 weeks and see what it results in.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  12. Registered User
    Board Sponsor

This looks like a great workout. How is it going for you so far?
  13. Registered User

Thanks Dr....a quick question. I'm suffering from adrenal insuffeciency but am now at a stage where I can train with weights as long as i rest enough between workouts. Does this type of workout put stress on the adrenals? If so anything I can do to lower the stress?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    This looks like a great workout. How is it going for you so far?

I am aiming to start next week but would be happy to post updates if there is some interest
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.

subing for later.
    :blindfold:
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I'm liking the looks of this, I'll give it a shot for a couple months
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.

Started this on Monday and so far I liked Monday and Tuesday's workouts. I can't wait to see how I fair with this Metabolic Series later today.
    :blindfold:
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.

About to start my 2nd Halovar/IBE Ep cycle, diet is going to be better than before, and this workout is going to be used for 6 week duration of cycle, and full PCT duration.

I will write up another log similar to my first one, and I will incorporate this workout routine in it.

/subbed!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 06:07 PM
  2. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 07:46 PM
  4. [bLacKjAcK] dOin it Right - ReComp Style! "The Mega-COMP!!!"
    By bLacKjAck. in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 9