Sciatica

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.9%

Sciatica

Hi guys,

My father is laid up with a sciatica that has left him in so much pain he can't get up and get around.

The doctors have done nothing for him other than give him drugs to mask the pain.

Anyone have any ideas on supplements or anything else that can be done to help him out.

He said he was at work (he works as a bridge operator in Florida, no real physical demands) and he just turned the wrong way and it left him practically paralyzed on one side.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

This might sound really dumb, but my mate had lower back pain for a year, he was seeing a chiro and it did nothing for him, he ended up going to indonesia and there was a chiropracter there who fixed his back up in 2-3 visits.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.97%

I had a similar situation caused by 2 herniated discs. I couldn't stand straight, my shoulders and hips weren't level and I couldn't tie my own shoes. After alot of research I went to a top notch neurologist at Mt. Sinai in NYC. Had surgery and after 3 months was fully healed and felt better than I had for the previous 8 yrs. I am fully recovered and can do all the things I used to, lift, ski, etc. Bottom line is go to the best doctor you can find who keeps up with new ways of treating the issue and who deals in that area on a regular basis. Best of luck to your father.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have a herniated and have found that a great mattress goes a long way. I too couldn't tie my shoes in the morning yet alone actually sleep at night. My generic tempurpedic hasn't fixed my problem, but it has helped tremendously.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.4%

Look for the enteries from Storming Norman in this thread if it is a buldging disk, but you haven't said what is causing the pain from sciatic nerve. Could be spinal misalignment, bone spurs, inflamation or a buldging disk. I would definitely try the cissus on it. DRX-9000 stretching machine and IGF-1R3 are what helped with the buldging disk. The PGH-T may help some too. Glucosamine/Chrondroitin can help reduce inflamation.

Spinal Joint Arthritis
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have been using cissus too and it has helped in my case b/c I have a lot of inflammation.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.33%

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter2032
    Hi guys,

My father is laid up with a sciatica that has left him in so much pain he can't get up and get around.

The doctors have done nothing for him other than give him drugs to mask the pain.

Anyone have any ideas on supplements or anything else that can be done to help him out.

He said he was at work (he works as a bridge operator in Florida, no real physical demands) and he just turned the wrong way and it left him practically paralyzed on one side.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful.

Thanks
    I tried everything and was weventually diagnosed permantely disabled by the doctors at Emory. Then i found a neuro surgeon that referred me to a pain management doctor. I had an outpaitent procedured called radial requency. This surgery was a blessing and allowed me to get back to normal life.

I also found a inversion table to be a great aid for deloading the pressure on my disc.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.12%

I would recommend a chiropracter. A good friend of mine went to one to get an "alignment" and found it was his L3 and L4 discs that needed to be "realigned" again. Once done, the entire problem went away and never returned.

Sounds like your dad may have the same problem. Cost of X-ray and an adjustment was under $100. Well worth it if you ask me.

Similar Forum Threads

1. any one know much about sciatica nerve problems?
    By inda11 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2014, 03:06 PM
  2. Sciatica/Tight Piriformis
    By pmdied in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 01:44 PM
  3. Sciatica: what to ask for?
    By weightofwords in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
  4. Lower back pain aka sciatica