Training For My First Natural Pro Masters Contest at 64

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Training For My 1st Natural Pro Contest on May 12th, at 64

Training For My First Natural Professional Masters Contest at 64

My name is Scott "Old Navy" Hults. I am a 63 year-old retired U.S. Navy Captain. I got the nickname, "Old Navy" from my fellow gym rats while I was preparing to enter my first bodybuilding contest in 2004 at the age of 61. My training was intense. The guys would say things like, "Hey, Old Navy, slow down man, take it easy, you aren't that young anymore." What they didn’t understand was, to me, age is a statistic not a burden. Nevertheless, I like the nickname so I kept it.

In March of 2005, after training for 10 months, I entered my first competition, a non-tested NPC event. In the following 21 months I entered 15 more tested and non-tested contests, winning 32 weight, height, age class and Best Poser (3) trophies, including the 2006 FAME WNSO Men's Masters 60+ World Championship in Toronto in June, and at 63 years of age, my Masters Pro Card at the 2006 NGA National Bodybuilding & Figure World Championships in Georgia in September and a second Masters Pro Card at the 2 006 IDFA Canadian Classic II in Toronto in November 2006. Along the way, Bodybuilding.com named me “Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week” in 2005, “Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week” in 2006 and last week, "Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Year 2006."

My first Journal, "Training for My First Body Building Competition at Age 61," chronicled my 10 months of training to enter my first contest and five other contests I entered that year, the last one in July 2005.

My second Journal, "Training for My Second Year of Competition at Age 62," covered my training and contests from December 2005 through the 2006 FAME WNSO Body Building and Fitness World Championships in June.

My third Journal, “Training For My Master Pro Card at 63,” started on June 26, 2006, as I began training to earn a Natural Pro Master Card by the end of the year. Mission Accomplished.

These Journals and my new Journal are posted on my web site: Body Building Senior.com

This is my new Journal: “Training For My First Natural Professional Masters Contest at 64”

I will be 64 when I enter my first Natural Professional Masters competition, the 2007 NGA Pro/Am in Duluth, Georgia on September 8. This is the show where I won my first Masters Pro Card. I will then continue training to enter the 2007 IDFA Canadian Classic III in Toronto six weeks later; at the same venue where I won my second Masters Pro Card this year. I also plan to do a warm up show before my first Pro event, the 2007NPC Alabama State Championship, where I will compete in the Open Men's Lightweight Class, Men's 50+ and Men's 60+ class. As a natural athlete, I placed 2nd in Men's 60+ and 2nd in Men's Open Bantam Weights in 2006 in the non-tested NPC show.

I stepped onto the stage in Toronto at the Canadian Classic II weighing 141 pounds. I entered this contest about three pounds fuller than any other contest I entered in 2006.

My goal for my first Pro Show is to compete somewhere between 150 and 155 pounds. This is the challenge. I will focus on heavy lifting with fewer reps in order to add size. Of course, I will intersperse this with endurance work and maintenance work (hardening) along the way.

So, here goes.

Monday, November 13, 2006

My training partner, Bruce, who is training to enter his first bodybuilding competition next April, and I began a four-week Escalation Density Training (EDT) with HITT Cardio plan. Sean “Sully” Sullivan, from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, developed this excellent program. He is my “Distance Training” Coach.

Escalation Density Training (EDT) with HITT Cardio
A Four-Week Workout Plan

EDT involves a workout where you measure how much work is done, and then consistently and gradually increase the amount of work. When you do this, your muscles will grow, your metabolism will increase and you'll have a leaner, more muscular body. There's a paradox at work here. Because good fatigue management strategies allow you to do a lot more work, you'll end up sore. In other words EDT provides plenty of pain.

Procedure

Each workout consists of three 15-minute time frames separated by a short (5 minute) rest period. In each time frame, you perform two exercises, for a total of 6 exercises per workout.

In each time frame, the two exercises are performed in alternating fashion, back and forth, until the time frame has elapsed.

After warming up the first 2 exercises, select a load that approximates a 10-12 RM for each exercise. Ideally, the weight used for each exercise should be equally difficult.

Sets, reps, and rest intervals: Generally, most athletes find it more effective to do higher repetition (but not maximal effort) sets and shorter rests at the beginning, and then gradually progress to fewer reps per set and longer rests as fatigue accumulates. For example, begin by performing sets of 8 with very short (15-20 second) rests. As you begin to fatigue, increase your rest intervals as you drop down to sets of 6, then 4, and as the 15-minute time limit approaches, crank out a few singles in an effort of accomplish as many repetitions as possible in 15 minutes.

NOTE: Do not perform early sets to failure, or even near failure. Do 70% or so of what is possible (e.g., 8 reps with a 12-RM weight) at the beginning of the time frame. As the time limit approaches, work at or near failure as you attempt to break your rep record.

Progression: Each time you repeat the workout; your objective is to simply perform more total repetitions in the same time frame. Apply the 20/5 rule: as soon as you can increase the total number of reps by 20% or more, start the next workout withy 5% more weight and start over.

That's essentially EDT. No pre-ordained numbers of sets, reps, or rest periods. It's entirely up to you. Your job is to complete the 15-minute work period, and then improve on it the next time. Oh, and be ready to feel some pain.
You train four days per week using a three way split and rotate in order.

Example:

Day #1 workout A

Day #2 workout B

Day #3 workout C

Day #4 workout A

The following week start where you left off with workout B and repeat the cycle:

Day #1 workout B

Day #2 workout C

Day #3 workout A

Day # 4 workout B

Workout A: Chest & Back

First 15-minute time limit

A1- Incline press

A2- Medium grip pull down
(5-minute rest)

Second 15-minute time limit

B1- Dips

B2- Cable rows
(5-minute rest)

Third 15-minute time limit

C1- Hammer Machine Incline

C2- Hammer Machine rows
(5-minute rest)

Workout B: Legs

First 15-minutes time limit

A1- Leg Press

A2- Leg Curl
(5-minutes rest)

Second 15-minutes time limit

B1- Leg Extensions

B2- Seated Leg curls
(5-minutes rest)

Third 15-minutes time limit

C1-Seated calve raises

C2- Standing calve raises
(5-minutes rest)

Workout C: Arms and Delts

First 15-minutes time limit

A1- Incline dumb bell curls

A2- Seated shoulder extensions
(5-minutes rest)

Second 15-minute time limit

B1- Preacher curls

B2- Press downs
(5-minutes rest)

Third 15-minutes time limit

C1- Lateral Raise

C2- Bent Lateral Raise
(5-minuetes rest)

Do cardio five days per week.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, do moderate cardio after EDT (if possible) for 30 minutes. On Tuesday and Thursday, Do a HITT session on a stationary bike, stair master, inclined treadmill or jump rope.

Advanced HITT Cardio Workout

Begin each cardio session with a five minute warm-up

After the warm-up do the following:

20 seconds sprint and 40 seconds at a reduced level – five intervals

Use 9 – 12% incline @ 9-12 mph

Add one minute (20/40) per week until you reach 10 intervals

After the sprints, do 25 minutes on a different machine (do 15 minutes on workout days)

Diet: two low carb days and one refeed day.

Pre workout days and pre cardio days, take two scoops of Glutamine

Optional Meal Replacement: 2 scoops of a whey protein shake

Low Carb Meals: Two Days Of This Plan

Meal 1: 6 egg whites with 1 yolk, two scoops of a whey protein shake + ½ grapefruit

Meal 2: 6oz turkey/fish/chicken + 3 cups vegetables

Meal 3: 6oz turkey/fish/chicken + 3 cups vegetables

Meal 4: 6oz turkey/fish/chicken + 3 cups vegetables

Meal 5: 6oz turkey/chicken + 3 cups lettuce

Refeed Meals: One Day of This Plan (then go back to Low Carb Meals)

Meal 1: 6 egg whites with 1 yolk, two scoops of a whey protein shake + ½ grapefruit

Meal 2: 6oz turkey/fish/chicken + 3 cups vegetables

Meal 3: 6oz turkey/chicken + 3 cups vegetables

Meal 4: 6oz turkey/chicken + 3 cup vegetables

Meal 5: Carb up Meal: 1 cup oatmeal; 6oz sweet potato; 1 banana + 1 cup vegetables

Today, Bruce and I did workout “A”, Chest and Back. We have added a new wrinkle to our training. Each rep of each set is squeezed and held at the “top” for one or two seconds, than lowered slowly. This adds to the intensity of the set. For the next four weeks, we are going heavy and hard. We want to fail at the end of each set. This is a period of growth for the two of us.

I have added two new supplements to my regimen: Muscletech’s Leukic as a pre-workout supplement and Anator P70 as my post workout shake. I will also add a Beverly Mass Maker shake to my daily diet during this lean mass gain period.

My contest weight on stage at my last show (11/4) was 141. I began today at 148 after a week of “eating.” It’s amazing how quickly you can add weight when you eat the “wrong” food. I finished the last of the bread pudding last evening.

Attachments

Last edited:
Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Today Bruce and I dedicated our training to pull ups, calve raises and cardio. We did 10 sets of 5 reps of wide grip, medium grip and hammer grip pull ups. We did each rep very slowly, pausing at the top and squeezing the lats and back muscles for a two count before slowly lowering. For the 10th set, we strapped on a 25 pound plate and did five medium grip slow pull ups, pausing at the top and squeezing before lowering. We rested about one minute between sets. We next headed for the calve machine, where we did three sets of 25 reps at a weight of 130 pounds. Again, we paused at the top of each rep to squeeze our calve muscles. After each seated set, we did 25 standing calve raises, squeezing at the top of each rep. Then we did a HITT Cardio session. After warming up at 10 degrees elevation at 4.5 mph speed, we did with five 20-second splits at 10 mph speed. We completed the HITT with a moderate 15 minute stationary bike ride. We ended our workout in the studio where we did some stretching.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, November 15, 2007

Bruce and I continued our Escalation Density Training (EDT) with Workout "B," Legs.

Before we did our first 15-minute session, we warmed up on the stationary bike for 15 minutes. We started at a level of 10 and increased it by two levels every two minutes until we reached level 16. Then we backed off, lowering the levels by two every minute. We kept out speed up throughout the ride. This warmup drew blood to our quads and hams, so we were "ready" to hit the first exercise, Leg Presses. We alternated Leg Presses with Leg Curls. We went heavy and slow and squeezed at the top of each set. We completed four sets of 8-10 reps each in the first 15 minutes. After a five minute rest, we did the second 15-minutes, Leg Extensions and Seated Leg Curls. Back and fourth for four sets of each. Since we did calves yesterday, after another five-minute rest, we did Leg Adductions and Leg Abductions for the last 15 minutes. We finished the workout with 40 slow-squeeze crunches on a slant board.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, November 16, 2007

Today we did Workout "C" of EDT, Arms and Delts. The first 15-minuets, we did four sets each of incline dumbbell curls and seated shoulder extensions. The second 15-minuets, we did four sets each of preacher curls and triceps press downs. And the third 15-minutes were spent on lateral raises and bent over lateral raises. We did between 8 and 10 reps of every exercise, pausing at the top of each to hold and squeeze before lowering the weight. We went to failure on the fourth set of each exercise. We ended our session with a 20-minute moderate treadmill session. I'm still holding the six pounds I added since my last contest on November 4. But the 147.0 pounds is hard and I still have plenty of vascularity. I'm eating a lot more "clean" food.

Friday, November 17, 2007

Escalation Density Training calls for four weight-training workouts per week: Workout A, Workout B, Workout C and then Workout A. On Monday, we start with Workout B, then C, A, B., etc. With this plan, you wind up doing the same body parts once in one week and then twice the next week. Today we did Workout A again, Chest and Back. We went heavier with fewer reps than we did on Monday. We also changed up the equipment. On Monday, we did machine incline press. Today, we did barbell incline press. On Monday we did straight bar medium grip pull downs, today, cable pull downs. On Monday, our dips were without extra weights. Today, we strapped on a 25-pound plate and did the same number of reps as Monday. On Monday, we did wide grip cable rows. Today we did narrow grip cable rows. Instead of hammer machine incline, we did decline bench press and instead of hammer machine rows, we did slow pull-ups with a hold and squeeze at the top of each rep. All cool stuff. Great workout. We had to skip HITT Cardio, because of time. I may go to the gym over the weekend to make up the lost HITT. Or, maybe I'll just watch football on TV.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, November 20, 2007

I thought I had 45 weeks until my first Master Pro Show. I went to the NGA web site yesterday where they have now posted the 2007 Schedule. My first show will be September 8 in Atlanta, the NGA Pro-AM World Cup, 42 weeks from now. My second Master Pro show will be the IDFA Canadian Classic III in Toronto in early November and my third Show will be the NGA National Night of Champions Pro Master and Pro Figure in Houston, Texas on November 17th. So now, I'm pretty well set on three Pro Shows in 2007. I'm still thinking about a warm up show as an amateur in August, maybe the NPC Alabama State Championship. It depends on my training and where I am in contest prep by then.

Bruce is training for his first Master contest in April. Today we trained like the contest is in 30 days. We had a kick butt legs workout. This was Workout "B" of EDT. We did squats and leg curls; leg extensions and walking dumbbell lunges; standing and seated calve raises. Each rep of each exercise was done to a 1 - 4 count, one count up and four counts down. We held each rep for a flex/stretch at the top. My squat weight was 260 and Bruces did 300.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, November 21, 2007

Bruce and I limped into the gym today. Our legs were still wasted from yesterday's EDT training. Today we hit Workout "C", Arms and Delts. Our three 15-minute couplets included: seated dumbbell curls + shrugs; barbell curls + seated triceps press downs; standing lateral raises + bent over lateral raises. Each rep of each set was performed slowly, with a squeeze at the top, then lowered slowly for negative effect. Fun stuff.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, November 22, 2007

42 years ago today, I was sitting in my car in the parking lot at Long Beach City College in California, studying for a 1 PM test when I heard the news flash on my radio that President John F. Kennedy was shot while riding in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas. I didn't go to class. That event had a profound effect on me and millions of others that day. It will always be one of those, "Where were you when..." moments.

Today, Bruce and I did EDT Workout "A" Chest and Back. Our three 15-minute back-and-forth couplet's included four sets of: machine incline press (I failed at 150 pounds and Bruce at 180) and cable pull downs (160 pounds); weighted dips (25 pound plate) and wide grip cable rows (160 pounds); incline dumbbell flies (35 pounds) and flat bench dumbbell press (60 pounds). We held each rep at the top and lowered it slowly (4 or 5 count). We ran out of time for cardio and we are taking tomorrow off (Thanksgiving in the U.S.). We will pick up our EDT workout on Friday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, November 24, 2007

After Bruce and I compared Thanksgiving meals (he pigged out much more than I did), we got to work. We met at 7:30 instead of 6:30, since I have the day off. Bruce went to his office after our workout (that's what owners of companies do, I guess). We did EDT Legs today. Squats, prone ham curls, extensions, seated ham curls, seated calve raises and standing calve raises. We did four sets of 8 -12 reps of each, heavy and slow, squeezing and holding at the top of each rep. Bruce said I was killing him...I was. After he left for his office, I stuck around to do 30 pull ups, 30 hanging leg raises and a HITT Cardio session. I burned off a lot more of my dinner last night than Bruce did. But, whose counting?

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, November 27, 2006

I went to the gym on Saturday to do EDT Arms and Delts. After my Thanksgiving fête, I couldn't stay away from the gym over the weekend. There were about a half-dozen of us 'crazies' at Gold's. Today, Bruce and I did EDT Chest and Back. We worked each set to failure, going heavier each time. This is nuts. We did make a few changes: instead of dips, we did elevated feet push ups and instead of incline machine press, we did decline dumbbell presses. We ended the session with pull ups and hanging leg raises.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Today was EDT Leg day, and was it ever. Bruce hates me. Hee, hee, hee. The name of the game today was slow and heavy, with a squeeze at the top of each rep. Bruce kept giving me dirty looks as I upped the weights. But, to his credit, he sucked it up and did the work. After that, I rewarded him with a posing session in the studio. We worked on symmetry turns, side chest and front double biceps. Bruce is starting to look like a bodybuilder. Bruce has the best of both worlds, a Training Partner and Personal Trainer. We work well together.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bruce and I did EDT Arms and Delts. We are winding down this program and are trying to maximize each workout by lifting slow and heavy. Today we did slow incline dumbbell curls, slow seated shoulder extensions, holding at the top with a squeeze, preacher curls slowly, with added fast pump reps with each set, slow press downs, standing lateral raises and bent over barbell rows. We ended with pull ups, hanging leg raises and a practice posing session. Bruce and his family are heading to New York for a long-weekend so I will be training solo on Thursday and Friday.

Thursday & Friday, November 29 & 30, 2006

When I arrived at the gym this morning, I made the decision not to do an EDT workout. My training partner, Bruce, is away for a few days with his family and since we are at the heaviest lifting stage of EDT, I didn't want to do sets without my spotter. Bruce and I know how to support each other while training with this rigorous program. I didn't want to ask someone else to spot me. So today and tomorrow I am doing cardio, stretching, posing, pull ups and abs work. Bruce and I will resume EDT next week for the final time. The following week, we will begin a four-week Power Workout plan that my Coach, Sean "Sully" Sullivan wants me on. And after that, Sully will have me on Hypertrophy Strength Training (HST). It's going to be a Merry Christmas. As my training partner and trainee, Bruce works whatever program I'm on. He is training for his first Masters competition next April and is tracking well.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, December 4, 2006

After two easy days (Thursday & Friday) and a do-nothing-but-watch- college-football weekend, it was great to get back to a hard EDT workout. Today was Workout "A," Chest & Back. Bruce is returning from New York today, so we will work Legs tomorrow. I did heavy and slow incline machine presses, medium grip pull downs, weighted dips, seated cable rows, flat bench dumb bell presses and instead of Hammer machine rows, I substituted slow pull ups. A great workout. I added a short cardio session and hanging leg lifts for Abs.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Ow, ow, ow. EDT Legs today, without my training partner. Bruce didn't make it, so I did Legs alone. I used a spotter for my squats, just to train safely. I did four sets of eight reps for every exercise. Heavy and slow, with a squeeze at the top of the lift. Squats were deep at 220 pounds, leg curls at 130, extensions at 130-150, sitting ham curls at 90-100, sitting calve raises at 150 (3 sets of 25) and standing calve raises were weighted, holding a 35 pound plate (3 sets of 25). I did abs work and some stretching after this session. I weigh 153.8 today, up 12.8 pounds since my last show on November 4. I'm still hard, lean and vascular, much to my surprise.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Bruce came into the gym today, rather sheepishly. My training partner returned from a family visit in upstate New York, where this bodybuilder-in-training spent most of the last five days with his face in a food trough. Four hotdogs in one sitting, home made fudge sauce smothering ice cream, etc. I'm so darn jealous. But, he did come in with a new determination to get back on track. His first competition is the first week of April. Today we did a very hard EDT Arms and Shoulders workout. We did four sets of 10 or more reps of seated biceps dumbbell curls (30's), slow push downs (110), seated shoulder extensions - slow with a squeeze at the top (20's & 25's), preacher curls (I did 125, Bruce did 140), standing lateral raises (20's & 25's) and upright rows (90's). We also did 25 hanging leg raises and a moderate cardio session on the tread mill. We are back on track.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, December 7, 2006 - "Remember Pearl Harbor!"

Bruce and I are winding down from Escalation Density Training (EDT). One more day of EDT Legs tomorrow and we begin a new four-week program on Monday, called Widow Maker Power Workout, a new plan devised by a very cruel Coach and Friend, Sean "Sully" Sullivan, of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Sully's new plan Rocks! I can't wait...Bring It On! I'll lay it out for you on Monday.

Meanwhile, today was EDT Chest and Back. Bruce and I did our three 15-minute two-exercise groups heavy and slowly. For Incline press we did dumbbell flies (25's-30's-35's-45's), medium grip pull downs (100-110-120-140), weighted dips (45 lb plate for Bruce, 25 lb plate for me), cable rows - slow and squeezed 120-140), hammer machine incline (90-110-140-180). I could only do two reps at 180 and Bruce managed four. Instead of hammer machine rows, we substituted pull ups: hands away grip, hammer grip and wide grip. We "posed" the body part we were working on between each set and ended a very good session in the studio with a practice posing session.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, December 8, 2006

Bruce and I wound-down EDT Training this morning with a moderately hard Legs workout. On squats, Bruce managed a set of 6 X 300. Really cool. I did 6 x 250 that set. We also did four sets of 8-10 reps of leg curls (Bruce 170, me 140), extensions (130 - 110), seated leg curls, (110 - 90), adductors and abductors and seated and standing calve raises (three sets of 25 each at 150 pounds) We posed our quads, hams and calves after each set. On Monday, we begin Widow Maker Power Workouts. Today I weighed 154.4, the exact weight at which I began training for my first competition in June of 2004. The 154.4 pounds looks a lot different on me now. LOL

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Widow-Maker Power Workout – A Four-Week Plan

The purpose of this plan, devised by Coach Sean “Sully” Sullivan of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, is to grow lean, hard muscle mass by lifting heavy for several sets with little rest in between, using the same weight load and then doing a Widow-Maker set of many reps for the same exercise.

Here is the Plan:

Keep the same weight for all 6 sets, but you may lose a rep or two at the end. For example set 1 - 4 you get the 6 reps, set 5, 5 reps and the last set 4. Pick a good weight and don't lower it even if it means 2-3 reps total on the last set.

On the high rep sets don't just do them light and go through the motions, go heavy and hard. For example on the 50 reps of squats pick a weight you can only get 20-30 reps with and then just take 2-3 deep breaths and bang out 4-6 more reps, breath and do more until you get the reps in. This is the Widow Maker set!

The rest between sets is 60-seconds and do a few warm-up sets before you begin the exercise

Stretch or Pose the working muscle between sets for 20-30 seconds.

Day 1:
Incline Bench Dumbbell Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 20
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 20
High Pulls (wide grip upright row, but you pull to the forehead) – 4 x 4
Heavy Laterals – 3 x 8
Press Down – 4 x 10
Decline Dumbbell Extensions - 4 X 8

Day 2:
Leg Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 40
Squats – 6 x 6, 1 X 30
Hack Squat – 6 x 6, 1 X 20
Leg Curl s– 5 x 8
Leg Extensions – 4 x 10

Day 3:
Reverse Grip Barbell Row – 6 x 6, 1 X 20
Medium Grip Pull Down – 6 x 6, 1 X 20
Dead Lifts – 6 x 6, 1 X 30
Barbell Curls – 4 x 6
Preacher Curls – 4 x 10

Day 4:
Lunges - 6 X 6, 1 X 20
Seated Leg Curls - 6 x 6
Wide stance Squats (feet out wide, toes pointed out) - 6 X 6, 1 X 50
Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead Lifts - 6 X 6
Step Ups (Step up, one leg at a time, on a high bench or aerobic step) 6 X 6

Calves and Abs work is done twice a week. Pick one exercise and do 5-6 sets of as many reps as you can do for each.

Do Cardio on off days from weights, 20 minutes of HITT or intervals. Do 5 min warm-up and 5 minute cool down so total time is 30 min with 20 being interval or HITT.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Well, Bruce and I did Day 1 today and we survived. Barely. Bruce’s body weight is 203 pounds, mine is 155.

Day 1:

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

I did 45’s; Bruce did 55’s for the 6 x 6
I did 35’s; Bruce did 45’s for the 1 x 2

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

I did 55’s; Bruce did 65’s for the 6 x 6
I did 45’s; Bruce did 55’s for the 1 x 20

High Pulls (wide grip upright row, but you pull to the forehead) – 4 x 4

Bruce and I each did 4 sets of 4 reps, slowly with a squeeze, using 40 pounds

Heavy Laterals – 3 x 8

I did 25’s; Bruce did 30’s

Press Down – 4 x 10

Bruce and I each did 4 sets of 10 reps, slowly with a squeeze, using 65 pounds

Decline Dumbbell Extensions - 4 X 8

I did 30’s; Bruce did 20’s (my triceps are stronger for now)

We ended our first session with 3 sets of 10 rep pull-ups and 2 sets of 25 hanging leg raises and a moderate stint on the treadmill.

It took us 60 minutes to complete the Widow Maker portion of the workout and another ? hour to do pull ups, abs and cardio.

We charted our weights for the Widow Maker so we can see where we need to start each time. We were both pumped and beat after this workout. Love it!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Widow Maker Power Workout - Day 2

I remember, not so long ago, saying the Advance GH/HITT Cardio plan gave us the best (read hardest) Legs workout we had ever done. Not so any more. Widow Maker Legs Day is a killer, aptly named, the Widow Maker.

Since this was the first Legs day of the four week plan, my training partner, Bruce, and I decided to go easy on the weights. Here are the exercises and our lifts:

Leg Press 6 X 6 - Bruce and I each did 450 pounds (10 plates)
Leg Press 1 X 40 - Bruce and I each did 200 pounds (2 45's and a 10 on each side)

Squats 6 x 6 - Bruce and I each did 200 pounds
Squats 1 x 30 - Bruce and I each did 100 pounds

Hack Squats 6 x 6 - Bruce and I each did 200 pounds
Hack Squats 1 x 20 - Bruce did 120 pounds and I did 100

Leg Curls 5 x 8 - Bruce did 125 pounds and I did 110

Leg Extensions 4 x 10 - Bruce did 175 pounds and I did 160

It took our full workout to get through this regimen. Tomorrow is an off day from weights and we will focus on abs, pull ups, calves and cardio.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Today, the Widow Maker gave Bruce and I a break. We didn’t lift weights. We couldn’t lift if we wanted to. We ache too much from Day 1 & Day 2. We will pick up Day 3 tomorrow. Our workout today focused on abs, calves, pull-ups and cardio.

As you know this Journal is called, “Training For My First Master Pro Contest at 64.” One of the three Pro Shows I am going to do this year is the IDFA Pro Classic on November 3rd in Toronto.

Shaun Campbell, President of the IDFA runs a great drug-free Federation. He recently announced the IDFA schedule for 2007:

International Drug Free Athletics (IDFA), International Drug Free Athletics (IDFA)

IDFA TORONTO CLASSIC
Natural Bodybuilding, Fitness & Figure Championships
June 2, 2007
Toronto, Canada
*IDFA Pro-Qualifier
*5 years drug free

IDFA CANADIAN CLASSIC III
Natural Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure & Urban Dance Championships
November 3, 2007
Toronto, Canada
*IDFA Pro-Qualifier
*5 years drug free

IDFA PRO CLASSIC
Professional Natural Bodybuilding & Figure Championships
November 3, 2007
Toronto, Canada
*Open to Pros of all natural organizations
*5 years drug free

I had a great time at the IDFA Canadian Classic II on November 4th. The venue was superb and the men and women athletes highly competitive. The show moved quickly and the audience was very enthusiastic. Backstage was roomy and the facilitators helpful. I strongly recommend if you are looking for a fun, interesting and competitive contest, come to Toronto in June for the IDFA Toronto Classic or in November for the IDFA Canadian Classic III. I’ll be there for sure, competing in the IDFA Pro Classic.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, December 14, 2006

This is Sick! Day 3 of the Widow Maker Power Workout is as tough as Day 1 and 2. And from the looks of it, Day 4 tomorrow isn't going to be any easier. Picking a good weight and keeping it the same for all the sets in an exercise is hard. We are failing by the fourth set and are flailing by the sixth, but it's great!

Here is how Bruce and I got beat up today (Bruce weighed 194.0 and I weighed 156.4):

Reverse Grip Barbell Row 6 x 6 - Bruce did 130 pounds and I did 110.
Reverse Grip Barbell Row 1 x 20 - Bruce did 110 and I did 90.

Medium Grip Pull Down 6 x 6 - Bruce did 140 pounds and I did 125.
Medium Grip Pull Down 1 x 20 - Bruce did 125 and I did 100.

Dead Lifts 6 x 6 - Bruce did 200 pounds and I did 150.
Dead Lifts 1 x 30 - Bruce and I both did 135 pounds.

Barbell Curls 4 x 6 - Bruce did 80 pounds and I did 60.

Preacher Curls 4 x 10 - Bruce did 140 and I did 110.

Each set has a rest period between of 60-seconds, so we kept moving. We have recorded our lifts and will increase the weights next week. Widow Maker Rocks!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, December 15, 2006

The Widow Maker claimed its first victim. Bruce didn't show up for our workout this morning. Whimper! I completed the first week of this excellent four-week power workout solo.

Day 4 - body weight = 157.0 pounds

Lunges - 6 x 6 - I did six for each leg each set - 180 pounds
Lunges - 1 x 20 - I did 20 for each leg - 130 pounds

Seated Leg Curls - 6 x 6 - 100 pounds

Wide Stance Squats - 6 x 6 - 230 pounds
Wide Stance Squats - 1 x 50 - 130 (almost lost it here)

Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead Lifts - 6 x 6 - 50's

Step Ups - 6 x 6 - holding 25-pound dumbbells

I rested 60-seconds between all sets. I completed the week with hanging leg lifts and 75 seated (3 sets of 25 @ 150 pounds) and 75 standing calve raises. I didn't have time for cardio today.

This is a kick-butt plan. At the end of the first week, everything hurts. I feel I have worked all my muscle groups close to my current limits. I will try to add weight to each set for the next three weeks. We will see if that's possible. I hope the Widow Maker doesn't get me, too.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, December 18, 2006 - Week Two of the Widow Maker Power Workout

Still hurting a bit from Widow Maker Legs on Friday, I limped into the gym this morning and met my training partner, Bruce. He said he missed Friday because he had to take his kid to day care for his wife that morning. Hmmmmm. OK.

We worked hard today on Chest and Triceps, adding weight to each set over what we did in Week One. Tomorrow it's more Legs. It's said that "Legs" wins bodybuilding competitions, so I am pumped to get pumped.

I received some news on Saturday:

Bodybuilding.com has honored me for the third time. In 2005, I was named Bodybuilding.com’s Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week # 254 Bodybuilders.com - Amateur Bodybuilder Of The Week: Scott 'Old Navy' Hults! Pics and info and more!

This year I was named Bodybuilding.com’s Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Week #23 Bodybuilders.com - Over 40 Bodybuilder Of The Week: Scott 'Old Navy' Hults! Pics and info and more!

And this week, I was named Bodybuilding.com’s Over 40 Amateur Bodybuilder of the Year for 2006 Bodybuilding.com - Bodybuilding Contests - Bodybuilding.com's Best Of 2006!

It is a nice way to cap my 2006 contest season. I'm gratified.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

This is getting serious. Bruce and I are "challenged" by Widow Maker to exceed expectations. Today we "handled" Legs. In order to mix up our equipment, we made a few changes from last Tuesday's workout:

I weighed 157.0 and Bruce 194.0

Seated Leg Press
(The machine where you squat in the seated position and then raise your body)
6 x 6: I did 250 pounds and Bruce did 310
1 x 40: I did 150 pounds and Bruce did 210

Squats (Free-standing squat rack)
6 x 6: I did 195 and Bruce did 225
1 x 30: I did 145 and Bruce did 195

Hack Squats - We didn't do this exercise due to time constraint
6 x 6:
1 x 20:

Leg Curls
5 x 8: I did 115 pounds and Bruce did 140

Leg Extensions
4 x 10: I did 175 pounds and Bruce did 205

All of our weights were higher than last week and we plan to go higher again next week.

Wednesday is a non-weight day, but we will do calves. We will also practice posing, do some abs work and pull ups. Widow Maker is a great four-week plan.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
The above posts brings up to date my current Journal. My three other journals and a photo gallery, plus lots more are posted on my web site: Body Building Senior.com

Thank you for your interest. I will continue to post my daily journal here as I train to enter my first NGA Natural Master Pro Bodybuilding Competition next September. I welcome your comments, suggestions and questions.

These photos are from my most recent competition, the 2006 IDFA Canadian Classic II on November 4 in Toronto, where I placed 4th in the Open Men's Lightweight (150 pounds) class and was awarded my second Master Pro Card. I will compete at my first IFDA Pro show in November, at the age of 64, against Master Pros in their 40's and 50's.

Scott "Old Navy" Hults
NGA & IDFA Natural Master Pro Bodybuilder
Train Hard. Train Natural.
Body Building Senior.com

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Widow Maker Power Workout calls for four days of weight training per week. Today was a non-weight day and we spent the time on pull ups, hanging leg raises, posing practice and cheating. We cheated and did some weights: six sets of 25 reps of weighted calve raises, using 130 pounds for three seated sets and 180 pounds for three standing sets. Each set of 25 reps was done slowly, with a squeeze at the top of each rep.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, December 21, 2006

This was a gruesome day for the Widow Maker. The Old Gal is giving Old Navy and Bruce all we can handle as we near competion of our second week of this four-week plan. Today we upped our weights from last week:

I weigh 158 and Bruce weighs 192. I am adding weight and Bruce is dropping, in preparation for his first contest in April.

Reverse Grip Barbell Rows
6 x 6: I did 120 pounds and Bruce did 140
1 x 20: I did 100 pounds and Bruce did 120

Medium Grip Pull Down
6 x 6: I did 130 pounds and Bruce did 150
1 x 20: I did 105 and Bruce did 130

Dead Lifts
6 x 6: I did 175 pounds and Bruce did 245
1 x 30: I did 155 pounds and Bruce did 155

Barbell Curls - Machine
4 x 6: Bruce did 130 pounds and I passed due to a sore bicep tendon.

Preacher Curls
4 x 10: Bruce did 160 pounds and I passed due to a sore bicep tendon.

I have had a sore right bicep tendon for a few weeks. I am resting it until next week. I will test it then and see if I can resume heavy lifting.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Damm impressive sir.
Thank you, dirt

Friday, December 22, 2006

Bodyweight 11/04 = 141.0; 12/22 = 159.8

My training partner bailed out on me again. That's two Widow Maker Fridays in a row. Hmmmmm. Once again, I did Day 4 solo, and in the process, I kicked the Widow Maker in the Butt.

Lunges (6 with each leg/20 with each leg)
6 x 6 Last week I did 180 pounds, today I did 200.
1 x 20 Last week I did 130, today I did 150

Seated Leg Curls
6 x 6 Last week I did 100, today I did 110

Wide Stance Squats
6 x 6 Last week I did 230 pounds, today I did 250
1 x 50 Last week I did 130 pounds, today I did 150

Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead Lifts
6 x 6 Last week I did 50's today I did 60's

Step Ups
6 x 6 Last week I held 25's, today I held 30's

I will train calves, abs and do cardio on Saturday, then take Sunday and Monday off. I'll pack the four days of Widow Maker weight training into four-days-in-a-row next week.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Nice job man, hit those wheels hard.
Thanks, "gifted"

What part of Canada are you from? I have a warm place in my heart for your country. I won my Men's Masters 60+ World Championship at the FAME WNSO in June and my 2nd Masters Pro Card at the IDFA Canadian Classic II in November, in Toronto.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Central British Columbia, little 85,000 city called Prince George.
Its a forestry based town but also serves as a central travell destinatino to the lower mainland (vancouver, and US). how about you?

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Born in San Francisco, California. Raised in Los Angeles, Hollywood, San Diego, El Paso, Texas and Washington, DC.

Professionally, I have lived and worked in New York City, Westport, Connecticut, Great Falls, Virginia (suburb of DC) and for the last 13 years, Birmingham, Alabama. I have spent 30 years in the communication business: New York Daily News, NBC-TV, Group W, MTV, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, United Press International (UPI) and currently am vice president of a non-profit multi-national, multi-media organization based in Alabama.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Awesome you sound like a distingushed man, and that moustache is definitely the finishing move. Good to have you aboard, best wishes, happy holidays. ah crap when i repped you its supposed to say "ripped at 64!!!!"

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Awesome you sound like a distingushed man, and that moustache is definitely the finishing move. Good to have you aboard, best wishes, happy holidays. ah crap when i repped you its supposed to say "ripped at 64!!!!"
Thanks for the props. I'm actually 63. I will be 64 when I step onto the stage for my first Master Professional Bodybuilding Competition in 2007. That's why I call my Journal, "Training for My First Master's Pro Contest at 64."

Interesting comment about the mustache. Some have advised me to shave it off, others say, keep it. It has some gray, but when I put on the Dream Tan, it gets colored along with my face. And, since it's the only hair on my head, for the most part, I think I should keep it. I do wonder about guys who show up on stage with pony tails and beards and too many tattoos. LOL

By the way, I'm Scott. What's your name?

Your Avatar Rocks!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
im john, scott... Keep the moustache for sure. With little hair already it gives you some identity, a personal touch. Are you a scottsman?

Last edited:
Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
im john, scott... Keep the stach for sure. With little hair already it gives you some identity, a personal touch. Are you a scottsman?
Hi, John:

Nope, not "Scotch," but I do love the drink. LOL

I am German & Spanish (75% G. & 25% S.) The bit of Spanish blood gives me some color that's useful in competition. I usually have a pretty good base before I apply Dream Tan.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, December 26, 2006

There were about a half-dozen members in the gym this morning, counting Bruce and me. We did Day 1 of the third week of the Widow Maker Power Workout. Both of us had some Christmas dinner to work off and we did.

The Widow Maker - Day 1 - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps
I weighed 161.0 and Bruce weighed 194.0

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press
6 x 6 I did 55's and Bruce did 60's
1 x 20 I did 45's and Bruce did 50's

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press
6 x 6 I did 60's and Bruce did 70's
1 x 20 I did 50's and Bruce did 60's

Dumbbell Shrugs
6 x 6 I did 65's and Bruce did 80's
1 x 20 I did 55's and Bruce did 60's

Laterals
3 x 8 I did 25's and Bruce did 35's

Press Downs
4 x 10 Bruce and I did 72.5 pounds

Decline Dumbbell Extensions
4 x 8 I did 30's and Bruce did 20's

We then did three sets of combination exercises of dips and pulls ups, two sets of hanging leg raises, 25 slant board crunches and a posing session. A very good workout.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Widow Maker Legs Day almost made two Widows. Bruce and I agreed this was the toughest leg workout either one of us has ever done. One more week of this wicked plan and then we can look forward to something tougher. But for now, we grew some legs today.

I weighed 159.8 and Bruce weighed 191.0

Widow Maker Power Workout - Week 3, Day 2

Leg Press
6 x 6 - I did 500 pounds and Bruce did 550
1 x 40 - I did 250 pounds and Bruce did 300

Squats - Smith Machine with a flat bench between our legs to ensure a full squat was performed.
6 x 6 - I did 250 pounds and Bruce did 300
1 x 30 - I did 160 pounds and Bruce did 220

Hack Squats
6 X 6 - I did 230 pounds and Bruce did 280
1 x 20 - I did 180 pounds and Bruce did 200

Leg Curls
5 x 8 - I did 125 pounds and Bruce did 155

Leg Extensions
4 x 10 - I did 145 pounds and Bruce did 175

It took nearly two hours to complete this workout. We rested more than 60-seconds between sets and it took extra time to change the weights between my sets and Bruce's. We also flexed our legs between sets for 20-30 seconds. Oh my!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, December 28, 2006

Everything hurt when Bruce and I arrived at the gym today. Yesterday's Widow Maker Legs Day was brutal. Today we focused on back, biceps and core work.

I weighed 159.4 and Bruce weighed 198.0

Widow Maker Power Workout - Week 3, Day 3

Reverse Grip Barbell Rows
6 x 6 - I did 130 pounds and Bruce did 150
1 x 20 - I did 110 and Bruce did 130

Cable Pull Downs (Life Fitness)
6 x 6 - I did 110 pounds and Bruce did 120
1 x 20 - I did 90 pounds and Bruce did 100

Dead Lifts
6 x 6 - I did 185 pounds and Bruce did 235
1 x 30 - I did 165 pounds and Bruce did 185

Barbell Curls
4 x 6 - I did 60 pounds and Bruce did 90

Preacher Curls
4 x 10 - I did 110 and Bruce did 145

Since we didn't work out on Christmas Day, we are doing four days straight this week, so tomorrow, we do more legs, but different exercises than on Wednesday.

Scott "Old Navy" Hults, NFPT-CPT
NGA & IDFA Natural Master Pro Bodybuilder
Train Hard. Train Natural
Body Building Senior.com

My Sponsor: Golden Images, LLC. Supplements

Last edited:
P

Pumps

Awards
Wow...Looking good just keep hittin the legs the upper body looks complete.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I had a real hard time getting my legs to respond, no matter how hard or often i hit them. I decided to trick my legs by starting my leg workouts with jumping lunges supersetted with weighted lunges. This got my fast twitch muscles burining then when you go to regular leg exercises your pre exhusted fast twitch work with your slow twitch. Another thing i noticed was when squatting if you go too low it takes away from the quads and loads the hams glutes and lower back. my 2c but a man of your calibre knows his shiet, i must be bored, lol.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
I had a real hard time getting my legs to respond, no matter how hard or often i hit them. I decided to trick my legs by starting my leg workouts with jumping lunges supersetted with weighted lunges. This got my fast twitch muscles burining then when you go to regular leg exercises your pre exhusted fast twitch work with your slow twitch. Another thing i noticed was when squatting if you go too low it takes away from the quads and loads the hams glutes and lower back. my 2c but a man of your calibre knows his shiet, i must be bored, lol.
Bored? Not at all, Friend. I learn new techniques every day. A fellow bodybuilder rides a stationary bike with a high friction setting for about 10 minutes and then does legs. After the bike ride and before he starts legs, he is already burning. I've tried it a few times and it Rocks!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, December 29, 2006

Doing legs with only two-days rest was tough, but Bruce and I got through it.

Widow Maker Power Workout - Week 3, Day 4

I weighed 159.0 and Bruce weighed 194.0

Day 4

Wide Stance Squats
6 x 6 - I did 250 pounds and Bruce did 300
1 x 50 - I did 150 pounds and Bruce did 200

Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead Lifts
6 x 6 - Bruce and I did 55's

Seated Leg Curls
6 x 6 - I did 125 pounds and Bruce did 135

Hip Adductor
3 x 10 - I did 225 pounds and Bruce did 250

Hip Abductor
3 x 10 - I did 225 pounds and Bruce did 250

Calf Extensions
3 x 25 - Bruce and I did 150 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Bruce and I did our body weight

Step Ups
6 x 6 - Bruce and I held a pair of 50 pound dumbbells

This was our last workout for 2006. We will begin the New Year on Monday when we meet in the gym at 9 AM to kick-off Week Four of Widow Maker.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2006 Goals - Signed, Sealed and Delivered

2006 Goals: Achieved

Last January, at age 63, I set some personal goals I wanted to work toward achieving this year:

Train for and compete in as many bodybuilding contests as I could: From February through November I competed in 10shows.

Win an NPC Open Men's Bantam Weight Class - In February, I placed first in the Men's Open Bantam Weight Class at the NPC Atlantic USA Championship in Atlanta.

Better my Third Place finish in 2005 in the Men's Master 60+ Class at the FAME WNSO World Bodybuilding Championship in Toronto - In June, I placed first in the Class and am the 2006 FAME WNSO Men's Master 60+ World Champion.

Win a second Best Poser Award - In April I won my second Best Poser Award and in November, I won my Third.

Win a Master Pro Card in a tested Federation - In September, the National Gym Association (NGA) awarded me a Master Pro Card in Atlanta and in November, the International Drug Free Athletics (IDFA) awarded me a second Master Pro card in Toronto, Canada

Earn my Certified Personal Trainer certification - On December 28, I passed the course and test and am now a National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT) Certified Personal Trainer.

Launch my personal web site: Body Building Senior.com has had more than 50,000 visits since I launched it earlier this year.

Turn my hobby into a business: I now run my training and contest expenses through my business, BodyBuildingSenior, LLC. I have a Federal, State and local business license for my web-based business.

Goals for 2007

Train for and compete in at least three Natural Master Pro shows.

Become a contest judge for FAME WNSO/SNBF and the OCB.

2006 was very good to me. I am Blessed. Happy New Year, everyone and God Bless you and your Families.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2006 Goals - Signed, Sealed and Delivered

December 30, 2006 - Last Journal Post of the Year

2006 Goals: Achieved

Last January, I set some personal goals I wanted to work toward achieving this year:

Train for and compete in as many bodybuilding contests as I can - From February through November, I entered 10 bodybuilding contests and Placed no less than Third in every one.

Win an NPC Open Men's Bantam Weight Class - In February, I placed first in the Men's Open Bantam Weight Class at the NPC Atlantic USA Championship in Atlanta.

Better my Third Place finish in 2005 in the Men's Master 60+ Class at the FAME WNSO World Bodybuilding Championship in Toronto - In June, I placed first in the Class and am the 2006 FAME WNSO Men's Master 60+ World Champion.

Win a second Best Poser Award - In April I won my second Best Poser Award and in November, I won my Third.

Win a Master Pro Card in a tested Federation - In September, the National Gym Association (NGA) awarded me a Master Pro Card in Atlanta and in November, the International Drug Free Athletics (IDFA) awarded me a second Master Pro card in Toronto, Canada

Earn my Certified Personal Trainer certification - On December 28, I passed the course and test and am now a National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT) Certified Personal Trainer.

Launch my personal web site - Body Building Senior.com has had more than 50,000 visits since I launched it earlier this year.

Turn my hobby into a business - I now run my training and contest expenses through my business, BodyBuildingSenior, LLC. I have a Federal, State and Local business license for my web-based business.

Goals for 2007

Train for and compete in at least three Natural Master Pro shows.

Become a contest judge for FAME WNSO/SNBF and the OCB.

2006 was very good to me. I am Blessed. Happy New Year, everyone and God Bless you and your Families.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, January 1, 2007

A great way to start the New Year, Widow Maker Power Workout - Week 4, Day 1:

I weighed 164.4 pounds and Bruce weighed 191.0

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press
6 x 6 - I did 60's and Bruce did 75's
1 x 20 - I did 50's and Bruce did 60's

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press
6 x 6 - I did 65's and Bruce did 75's
1 x 20 - I did 45's and Bruce did 55's

Dumbbell Shrugs
6 x 6 - I did 70's and Bruce did 80's
1 x 20's Bruce and I did 60's

Heavy Laterals (Cable)
3 x 8 - I did 25 pounds and Bruce did 35 pounds

Triceps Press Machine
4 x 10 - Bruce and I did 170 pounds

Triceps Extension Machine
4 x 10 - Bruce and I did 100 pounds

We ended out first workout of 2007 with 50 hanging leg lifts and 50 slant board crunches.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Nice job man!!! thats incredible, your a champion.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, John & "Zombie"

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

I believe the Widow is trying to kill Bruce and me as we finish the last week of the four-week Widow Maker Power Workout. Today was Legs.

Widow Maker Power Workout - Week Four, Day 2
I weighed 161.4 and Bruce weighed 191.0

Hammer Strength Seated Leg Press
6 x 6 - Bruce and I did 350 pounds
1 x 40 - Bruce and I did 250 pounds

Free Standing Squats
6 x 6 - I did 295 pounds and Bruce did 315
1 x 30 - I did 225 pounds and Bruce did 250

Hack Squats
6 x 6 - Bruce and I did 270 pounds (should have gone heavier)
1 x 20 - Bruce and I also did 270 pounds for the 20 rep set

Leg Curls
5 x 8 - I did 130 pounds and Bruce did 170

Leg Extensions
4 x 10 - I did 160 pounds and Bruce did 190

After each set of each exercise, we flexed our leg muscles for 20 seconds.

Bruce and I have enjoyed a good deal of increased strength since we began this program four-weeks ago. We both have recorded several personal best lifts.