Is Prolactin my problem?

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
Just got my labs back from LabCorp. I've been struggling with no sex drive or libido for years. Started TRT a year ago and have been modifying it here and there trying to get a sex drive. From 960ng/dl to 415ng/dl TT and never a sex drive. Then I discovered prolactin and its effects on men. Finally got it tested 3 1/2hrs after waking up, no recent orgasms, no stress, and the result was 32.1ng/ml. Over twice the high reference range. Have I finally found my problem? Will a prolactin level that high in men do me in? Should I be worried? Please help! Refer to attached labs for further.
20181121_094317.jpeg

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
Is it the problem, idk. Could it be, definitely
I guess what I'm asking is has anyone with a similar level as that experienced issues and found relief by lowering it with a dopamine agonist? Or is 32 not considered a real issue for men even though it's over twice the reference range?

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
Some research I've done also suggest an underactive thyroid issue resulting in raised prolactin levels. My TSH was at 3.6, which isn't necessarily out of range but considered above the optimal level of 2 or lower. My T3 and T4 were mid range.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I guess what I'm asking is has anyone with a similar level as that experienced issues and found relief by lowering it with a dopamine agonist? Or is 32 not considered a real issue for men even though it's over twice the reference range?
Prolactin is very high, unless you normally just have high prolactin it could be the issue. I'm not 100% sure how prolactin works tho. I know when ppl naturally have high estrogen it don't really mess with libido

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yes I was taking sodium d aspartic acid, which is known for increasing prolactin. Mine tested in the 30's like yours, I started takin l -dopa and it went down to 5. This was five years ago

they did a brain scan to make sure I didnt have a benign tumor. All came back well.

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
yes I was taking sodium d aspartic acid, which is known for increasing prolactin. Mine tested in the 30's like yours, I started takin l -dopa and it went down to 5. This was five years ago

they did a brain scan to make sure I didnt have a benign tumor. All came back well.
Did you feel a marked difference between the 30's and 5?

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
Just got my labs back from LabCorp. I've been struggling with no sex drive or libido for years. Started TRT a year ago and have been modifying it here and there trying to get a sex drive. From 960ng/dl to 415ng/dl TT and never a sex drive. Then I discovered prolactin and its effects on men. Finally got it tested 3 1/2hrs after waking up, no recent orgasms, no stress, and the result was 32.1ng/ml. Over twice the high reference range. Have I finally found my problem? Will a prolactin level that high in men do me in? Should I be worried? Please help! Refer to attached labs for further.View attachment 174743
how old are you?

your current testosterone and estradiol are kinda low, which both have a significant effect on sex drive.

the prolactin tends to have more of an effect on performance, or the ability to achieve orgasm.

personally, I'd try to get the prolactin down (with caber or prami) and get the T and E2 up (with clomid or some other SERM).

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
how old are you?

your current testosterone and estradiol are kinda low, which both have a significant effect on sex drive.

the prolactin tends to have more of an effect on performance, or the ability to achieve orgasm.

personally, I'd try to get the prolactin down (with caber or prami) and get the T and E2 up (with clomid or some other SERM).
I'm 42. I did the whole prohormone craze 10 to 15 years ago. Was very reckless and didn't know what I was doing. Started having my first issues in 2009. Started TRT almost a year ago at 320ng/dl and 19 E2. Shot up to 960ng/dl on 150mg test cyp a week but my e2 shot up to 68pg/ml. On 100mg test cyp a week only I was 640ng/dl at 48pg/ml E2. Most recent protocol is 100mg a week test cyp, 500iu hcg 2 x week, and 25mg aromasin 2 x week. Was baffled my TT was 415ng/dl. Didn't make sense to me. Not sure if the difference is sub q injection vs im injection. I have .25mg Caber on hand to combat the prolactin. Going to take 2 x week and see if that helps. I go back in the first part of January for doctor labs.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to find the underlying issue here. If its not induced by a 19-nor, then something is wrong. Do you take by any chance Domperidone?
Or any blocker of dopamine receptors or gastrointestinal peristaltic stimulant?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 42. I did the whole prohormone craze 10 to 15 years ago. Was very reckless and didn't know what I was doing. Started having my first issues in 2009. Started TRT almost a year ago at 320ng/dl and 19 E2. Shot up to 960ng/dl on 150mg test cyp a week but my e2 shot up to 68pg/ml. On 100mg test cyp a week only I was 640ng/dl at 48pg/ml E2. Most recent protocol is 100mg a week test cyp, 500iu hcg 2 x week, and 25mg aromasin 2 x week. Was baffled my TT was 415ng/dl. Didn't make sense to me. Not sure if the difference is sub q injection vs im injection. I have .25mg Caber on hand to combat the prolactin. Going to take 2 x week and see if that helps. I go back in the first part of January for doctor labs.
Is your test pharma -or UGL? If UGL, maybe you got Deca -or NPP?

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
You have to find the underlying issue here. If its not induced by a 19-nor, then something is wrong. Do you take by any chance Domperidone?
Or any blocker of dopamine receptors or gastrointestinal peristaltic stimulant?
None of that. My only theory at this time is me playing football, because head trauma can cause prolactinomas. Or underactive thyroid because my TSH level was a 3.6. Even though that is below the reference range of 5 it is still above the optimal level of 2. My T3 and T4 were mid range. I do feel like I may have a dopamine deficiency because I have no drive for anything, just ho hum, content. Not depressed or stressed though.

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
Is your test pharma -or UGL? If UGL, maybe you got Deca -or NPP?
It's doctor prescribed from Riteaid pharmacy. That's why I was wondering if it had to be because of sub q vs im injection. I was 640 TT on im and 415 on Sub q both 100mg a week test cyp. And I know the hcg or Aromasin wouldn't lower my TT.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's doctor prescribed from Riteaid pharmacy. That's why I was wondering if it had to be because of sub q vs im injection. I was 640 TT on im and 415 on Sub q both 100mg a week test cyp. And I know the hcg or Aromasin wouldn't lower my TT.
Different injection sites = different blood plasma levels, that is already known. Apparently glutes are best.
The caber would definitely cure the symptoms -but as you know, not the cause. No idea about conditions like prolactinomas, I'm just a roidhead, LOL.

Your aromatase could have gone up (due to injection site?), explaining lower test levels and higher e2 levels.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
could be.

your E2 is pretty low, so I don't know if you need that much aromasin….. especially with sub-q dosing, as that leads to a reduced aromatization.

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
could be.

your E2 is pretty low, so I don't know if you need that much aromasin….. especially with sub-q dosing, as that leads to a reduced aromatization.
Sub Q'ing with 100mg a week without AI I was at 48pg/ml. I'm a high converter. I convert at about a 6% rate whereas I should be at 2 to 3%. I weigh 310lbs but I'm not per se fat. I'm athletic build with all my fat in my belly and pecs. Haven't experienced any sides at 9pg/ml yet. In fact I finally got the water out because I don't get sock lines on my ankles anymore.

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
I stand corrected, that was at 125mg a week.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
Sub Q'ing with 100mg a week without AI I was at 48pg/ml. I'm a high converter. I convert at about a 6% rate whereas I should be at 2 to 3%. I weigh 310lbs but I'm not per se fat. I'm athletic build with all my fat in my belly and pecs. Haven't experienced any sides at 9pg/ml yet. In fact I finally got the water out because I don't get sock lines on my ankles anymore.
how are your lipids?

Pigskinplayer

Pigskinplayer

Awards
how are your lipids?
Actually not bad. LDL/HDL Ratio 3.63 Ref <3.56; NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 172 Ref <130; LDL CHOLESTEROL 149 Ref <100; Chol/HDL Ratio 5.2 Ref <7.4; HDL as % of Cholesterol 19 Ref >14 Evaluation says I'm an average risk. I don't take any medication for it.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
Actually not bad. LDL/HDL Ratio 3.63 Ref <3.56; NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 172 Ref <130; LDL CHOLESTEROL 149 Ref <100; Chol/HDL Ratio 5.2 Ref <7.4; HDL as % of Cholesterol 19 Ref >14 Evaluation says I'm an average risk. I don't take any medication for it.
ah, good. my concern about low E2 is the effect on joints and lipids, but as long as you're not having any issues there, then I guess keep your current AI protocol.

FWIW, I have E2 issues from HCG, but never have them otherwise. I take about 100 IU's 2 x a week (along with 90 mg cyp 2x and .5 armidex 2x). I might actually drop my HCG to once a week, and see how I feel.

obviously run this all by your Dr, but I think splitting your cyp into two IM doses would be worth a shot, as well as reducing HCG to as little as you need to maintain testicular size (maybe just once a week, even?).

and address the prolactin with the caber as you planned. (btw, did you get that checked before you started TRT or only recently?)

btw, is your low T due to head trauma?

I'm curious if mine is..... I'm not showing any obvious symptoms of CTE or anything like that, but I've had quite a few concussions, and kinda think that might be related.

also, as far as prolactin and sex drive, it can have an indirect effect there, as prolacin and dopamine are antagonists of each other. high dopamine tends to correlate with a higher sex drive, but high prolactin is usually an issue with guys here using deca/nandrolone and the inability to achieve orgasm.