My shoulders suck!

irone93

irone93

Awards
  • Established
I have always had problems gaining strength or size on my delts. Right now I'm doing 5/3/1 and haven't made enough progress to up the weights 5lbs a month! Any suggestions?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Front delt:

[video=youtube;v2r1gWvLUUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2r1gWvLUUU[/video]

Lateral:

[video=youtube;AFXn-IypTTQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXn-IypTTQ[/video]

Rear:

[video=youtube;Yo7S6WrvuPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7S6WrvuPQ[/video]

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here what I do. I go moderate -or even light on the weights -but keep always tension, never to zero. Instead of upping weights, I just go slower with the same weights for some time.
To have an idea of the weights I use, me: 5"8, 225lbs:

decline DB front:
20-25lbs for 10 reps

Kettle bell one armed lateral (observe that the guy showing it is slightly bent forward, that is the way!)
25lbs for 12
30lbs for 8

Rear delts:
30-40lbs for 8-10

Remember, never to zero, always moving under tension. If I would go to zero, my weights would be way up -but injury is around the corner.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One more thing. If you think that what the Indian guy is doing (declined DB front raises) is for puzzies, do it, and tell me afterwards. Go as low as possible with the weights WITHOUT moving your upper body up!

That exercise is for real men, believe me, LOL!

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
How about real and intense rotator cuff work every second day?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about real and intense rotator cuff work every second day?
Good point! I do it once a week, 7 exercises with cables. Mainly for injury prevention and rehab.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Good point! I do it once a week, 7 exercises with cables. Mainly for injury prevention and rehab.
Super focus with light bands - feel the burn and then keep going. It will separate everything from everything else. I would also suggest pullover and press to get everything unglued.I started really focusing on these exercises a couple of months back and its like I have turned back time (I am 50).

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do this , but now with cables:

[video=youtube;EY2tNBOmvGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2tNBOmvGs[/video]

It will not grow your delts, but surely prevents injury! Its a must -but also time consuming. I sacrifice one day of the week for this, doing also lower traps exercises to prevent "shoulder rolled forward" posture.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One more thing. If you think that what the Indian guy is doing (declined DB front raises) is for puzzies, do it, and tell me afterwards. Go as low as possible with the weights WITHOUT moving your upper body up!

That exercise is for real men, believe me, LOL!
Needed a new front raise exercise. Good call on that one. Thanks

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally I'm an advocate for moderate weights and body weight exercises, especially for shoulders. Its a myth that you have to go heavy!
My lateral raises hardly go over 30lbs and I can't complain of non responsive delts. IMHO its the HOW you do them. TUT and Form is the answer, not weight.

push1.jpg

BTW, as an old fugger I have to watch out for Injuries.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Needed a new front raise exercise. Good call on that one. Thanks
Tell me how they felt! I swear, you will have a vein on your forehead, as thick as a garden hose.
Try touching the floor with the DB's without lifting the head from the bench.

Hahahaha! Can't wait to hear how you suffered. LOL

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My shoulders are one of my best parts and i only do 8 sets on them on a push day.. I don't directly train my front delts at all as benching etc has blew them up. I do 4 sets of dumbell raises and 4 sets of cable side raises.. Then i always finish a push day with 3-4 sets of overhead press.. Mine have responded to this far better than giving them a full out shoulder day.. I use to have a specific day just for shoulders.. I found they never grew much until i switched to lower volume and lighter weight more reps? Seems weird but thier still a small muscle group and only need to be stimulated to a certain degree. Just need to find what works for you.. I do only light weights for side raises also.. I prefer perfect form. I can throw heavy weights up but seem to offer very little stimulus. So try switch it up and also.. Get your nutrition perfect and you will be fine

Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Awards
Personally I'm an advocate for moderate weights and body weight exercises, especially for shoulders. Its a myth that you have to go heavy!
My lateral raises hardly go over 30lbs and I can't complain of non responsive delts. IMHO its the HOW you do them. TUT and Form is the answer, not weight.

View attachment 162241

BTW, as an old fugger I have to watch out for Injuries.
Good post. Time under tension and bands have been my go to since rotator surgery in 2015. Shoulders are always going to be an issue for anyone ho has trained over a few years. I’ve been working at this since 1967 and have had a lot of issues over the years. John Meadows, who writes for TNation, advocates the rear delt is the most important part for both size and shoulder health. This attitude that old grandpa advocates, if done with bands, is safe for anybody. This is the results I got. Not much size, but at age 64 I take what I can get
BE413452-A4EA-4147-B890-B0C2674F1752.jpeg

irone93

irone93

Awards
  • Established
Guys I really appreciate the advice. As I age I find light is better both to prevent injuries and for progress. I was wondering if my delts are largely comprised of slow twitch muscle, hence would respond to high volume as opposed to explosive training. Again thanks for you help!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys I really appreciate the advice. As I age I find light is better both to prevent injuries and for progress. I was wondering if my delts are largely comprised of slow twitch muscle, hence would respond to high volume as opposed to explosive training. Again thanks for you help!
Correct, nothing "explosive" with shoulders! Slow negatives, keeping tension and they will grow.

Old School

Old School

Awards
Military barbell press... front plate raise... side db laterals... shrugs

Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Awards
Military barbell press... front plate raise... side db laterals... shrugs
Agree, with the exception of barbell press. Dumbell press with palms facing each other is less stressful, as you are not locked in to a position by the bar.

Joe DeFranco has a great complex that is pretty much what old school advocates. You tube “Joe DeFranco shoulder shocker.”

Old school: what do you do to keep your shoulders healthy?

Old School

Old School

Awards
Collagen, glucosamine , msm etc...

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
I have always had problems gaining strength or size on my delts. Right now I'm doing 5/3/1 and haven't made enough progress to up the weights 5lbs a month! Any suggestions?
There's only one shoulder exercise you need: Seated barbell overhead press, with the bench at a slight angle, bring the bar down to your nose and back up. Run 10 sets: first two very high reps (25-30), next 4 low reps (4-6), next 4 at 10-12 reps.

You'll be pressing 240 before you know it.