Looking for some advice

Bigandweak

Awards
HI everyone , I'm a long tone reader of the forums but never signed up. Seems to be a lot of knowledgable and friendly people here . To make it quick I'm 42 years old and have been lifting for about 20 years. My strength and body composition has gone too hell from over eating and also injuries like arthritis in my knees. I'm 6 ft 245 and my lifts are too pathetic to mention lol I'm also on paxil for anxiety and depression. Since I still love the gym I'm basically looking to do a recomp. I'm new to a lot of these supplements and was looking for advise as far as any possible interactions with my medication and mental health issues. Thanks for any help you guys can give !

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Welcome to AM!

The fact that you are getting in the gym should improve everything on that alone. Just take it slow and get back into your swing gradually. It's not about how fast you can get to lifting like you used to, it's about getting that foot out the door and into the gym, or even at home doing body weight routines of sorts. Get yourself active in some way.

• Walking
  • Push-ups
  • Using Hand Weights and doing squats; lunges
Dialing in your diet so that work you are starting to do is maximized.
It feels really good to get back into it. I'm 52 now, and started again 2 years ago. I couldn't do 3 push ups, and weighed 90 pounds more than I do today. Now I am on TRT with my doctor, and just keep moving. I know I probably won't be lifting like I used to, but I feel good, and am making progress slowly. Hey, I can jog and even run. (205 down from 295)

You need to know 1 thing right now.
You can do this. Pick an achievable goal and start working towards it.

Bigandweak

Awards
Thank you for the welcome ! The frustrating part is that I never stopped going to the gym! I do a good routine 4 to 5 times a week but I still have lost a decent amount of muscle. I have the knowledge of nutrition and training but my body is just not like it used to be, that's why I'm interested in supplements. I'd rather stay away from the hormonal ones. What's the deal with the myostatin blockers ? Are they worth a try ? Thanks !

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe you need a break, and De-conditioning.

That said, regarding Myostatin blockers, I'm skeptical of them. One of the more popular formulations on AM is Follidrone 2.0 which is made by Black Lion Research (BLR) which has -(-epi) Epicatechin, Ecklonia Cava extract, and a few other ingredients which has some pretty solid reviews.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go hormonal in any way. As long as you feel good, have a solid diet, and routine, supplements may help you breach a minor plateaux. Sometimes a change in programming helps. I was stuck in a 3 on 1 off routine, and then switched to HST and that is a pretty amazing program.

Glad to help!