Thinking about TRT 38 year old male

J

JoshDiesel

Awards
I was put on probation about 9 months ago which made me quit drinking cold turkey if I wanted to stay out of jail. My test levels when I was a drinker from age 30-37 ranged anywhere from 220-400 mostly staying in the low 300's. Most recent as a drinker was 323.

I went to 4 doctors including an endo that said I don't need TRT even at these levels.

Now that I've quit, my levels have gone up to 525 with free at 115. Still on the low side but a huge improvement.

The only things I've done differently are consistent weight training, 10,000 IUs of vitamin D3 a day and absolutely zero alcohol.

However, I am making virtually zero progress in the gym if not actually regressing quite a bit. Zero morning wood ever. Zero life ambition. I have an almost non-existent sex drive with rare instances of it every few weeks. Pretty girls mine as well be a nice sunset or interesting painting to me and I consider pursuit much more of a hassle than it's worth.

I was actually MUCH better in the gym and had a higher sex drive when my levels were much lower which I don't really understand.

Could things be in my head or is it time to bite the bullet and start taking testosterone? Thyroid issue is under control. Never tested LH or DHEA. Thoughts?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I'd run a cycle then pct using both clomid and Nolva...

See if the SERMS helped reset test levels

If not then fck it and go on TRT

S

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was put on probation about 9 months ago which made me quit drinking cold turkey if I wanted to stay out of jail. My test levels when I was a drinker from age 30-37 ranged anywhere from 220-400 mostly staying in the low 300's. Most recent as a drinker was 323.

I went to 4 doctors including an endo that said I don't need TRT even at these levels.

Now that I've quit, my levels have gone up to 525 with free at 115. Still on the low side but a huge improvement.

The only things I've done differently are consistent weight training, 10,000 IUs of vitamin D3 a day and absolutely zero alcohol.

However, I am making virtually zero progress in the gym if not actually regressing quite a bit. Zero morning wood ever. Zero life ambition. I have an almost non-existent sex drive with rare instances of it every few weeks. Pretty girls mine as well be a nice sunset or interesting painting to me and I consider pursuit much more of a hassle than it's worth.

I was actually MUCH better in the gym and had a higher sex drive when my levels were much lower which I don't really understand.

Could things be in my head or is it time to bite the bullet and start taking testosterone? Thyroid issue is under control. Never tested LH or DHEA. Thoughts?
How's your diet and sleep? You say your thyroid is under control, what are your thyroid levels? You need to get a full hormone panel and CBC ran by a competent Dr familiar with TRT before you do anything. Running a cycle is about the worst advice someone could give you. Don't take anything yet. Exhaust all other measures before getting on TRT.

J

JoshDiesel

Awards
My diet and sleep are ok but not perfect. No candy or junk food and 6-7 hours of sleep per night. I had a longer reply but it kept flagging me for "forbidden words" or "bad urls". Had none of that so I don't know.

J

JoshDiesel

Awards
I just think 525 and 115 are high to be jumping on TRT but I also don't want to keep up the symptoms I seem to be having either. I know depression and low T go off each other both ways too.

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
Check your Thyroid levels as well. My Test levels jumped as well as sex drive once doc put me on Thyroid meds.

J

JoshDiesel

Awards
Ah I have had a CBC. All fine. Free T3, Total T4 and TSH all fine as well. SHBG right in the middle.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like you are dealing with the long term effects of heavy drinking and it could be a depletion of dopamine. Dopamine is responsible for sex drive, ambition, and desire and can have a big play in depression. Long term drinking depletes this and it can take a very long time to come back, but you can help it with supplementation. I would add in L-tyrosine and see how you feel after a couple weeks. Testosterone isn't the issue and you are doing a good job getting it back up where it should be naturally.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Id talk to someone with years of sobriety (accountability partner or sponsor) about your issues before resorting to steroids.

Damage from seven years of alcohol abuse don't just repair overnight and testosterone use is not the solution IMHO.

You drank for a reason. Now the alcohol is gone but the reason may not have been addressed. IMHO there is no better therapy than talking it out with a seasoned sober partner or sponsor.

Congratulation on quiting drinking. Good luck.

J

JoshDiesel

Awards
Sounds like you are dealing with the long term effects of heavy drinking and it could be a depletion of dopamine. Dopamine is responsible for sex drive, ambition, and desire and can have a big play in depression. Long term drinking depletes this and it can take a very long time to come back, but you can help it with supplementation. I would add in L-tyrosine and see how you feel after a couple weeks. Testosterone isn't the issue and you are doing a good job getting it back up where it should be naturally.
Interesting. I never thought of that part before. Thank you. I will give it a try.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This right here^

I thought the same. Your test levels are fine, ive had long bouts of heavy drinking and after stopping i felt a big drop in sex drive and bad sleep for a few months. I accredit some of it to anxiety also. A few years back i got hurt and was popin painkillers and drinking 10+ shots and a 12 pack of beer daily for months on end and it took 6+ months to get back to feeling normal. My sex drive was higher when i was fukd up all the time. If i were you i would not try trt or cycle, work on getting back to normal and try to get those 6hrs of sleep up to 8 or 9

Nickespo89

Nickespo89

Awards
  • Established
Try getting some dopamine supps. They will help boost libido and quality of life. Ksw66 ashwagandha is also a great addition.

S

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
This.

And ashwagandha is awesome.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I was going to say the same. You might try acetyl-tyrosine, l-carnitine-l-tartrate (highly recommend) to help with this.

Article about alcohol effects on the brain: https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/10/16/what-alcohol-really-does-to-your-brain/#4e562099664e

T

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Id prescribe

better sleep - resets hormeones and boosts GH - Zinc + magnesium before bed, maybe some Velevt bean for ldopa
Daytime, Longjack/Tongkat ali - examine.com for studies - boosts testosterone within natural levels and reduces estrogen
Maybe some St Johns wort in the morning for life ambition, added 50mg 5htp if no effect after 2 weeks, 100mg if no effect 2 weeks after that.

Ive come out of some serious slumps with SJW/5htp/ldopa combo (better sleep/more motivation) and ive been a borderline alcoholic devorceee that would feel like crashing my car just so that SOMETHING would stimulate my senses. Yes, ive been that low and boucned back.

Im now in the gym, regularly, eating well, cut the booze and sleeping well

R

RockyP

Awards
The levels are fine.

It might depression. I would not start TRT at your age. 1 it will affect your T production later on and 2 you might have to get on it permanently.
I would address the depression and see how that goes.
Just my thoughts.

J

johnny666x

Awards
Id prescribe

better sleep - resets hormeones and boosts GH - Zinc + magnesium before bed, maybe some Velevt bean for ldopa
Daytime, Longjack/Tongkat ali - examine.com for studies - boosts testosterone within natural levels and reduces estrogen
Maybe some St Johns wort in the morning for life ambition, added 50mg 5htp if no effect after 2 weeks, 100mg if no effect 2 weeks after that.

Ive come out of some serious slumps with SJW/5htp/ldopa combo (better sleep/more motivation) and ive been a borderline alcoholic devorceee that would feel like crashing my car just so that SOMETHING would stimulate my senses. Yes, ive been that low and boucned back.

Im now in the gym, regularly, eating well, cut the booze and sleeping well
Just wanted to thank you for being so candid. I was just browsing these posts and came across this one. The "borderline alcoholic divorcee" is the part that hit me. That's almost where I am at but trying to turn it around. It's hard .... It may seem easy in a "normal" setting..... But, the weight of it all makes everything seem like an impossible chore. I will give the 5-htp etc a try to go along with the Aniracetam and Mucuna Pureins (hoping it'll help my dopamine levels and actually enjoy SOMETHING in my "life")