CAN YOU LOOK "AESTHETICALLY GOOD" AS YOU GET OLDER ?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hi ive been training years to keep in shape and for, the health benefits it brings etc but i still feel im like a dog chasing its tail , never quite getting there.

I also know of the senior class in bodybuilding competitions , a level reached by perhaps going to extremes.

I hope the above will give you an idea of where Im coming from so whats your view?

Is it spending more on supplements? , and what kind?current supps nothing out of the ordinary -creatine bcaa beta alanine taurine protein powders

-manipulating hormones ?

-diet? which couldnt be cleaner

Interested to hear your views

Thanks

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Getting old is not for the weak.

I'm 56 and it's an uphill battle against time itself. Age is strictly a number and it means nothing. I firmly believe that we are like sharks - stop moving and you start dying.

TRT has been very good to me and I plan on using it until my last day here. I recommend it highly. Get your folate, B12, Iodine and Vitamin D levels checked when you get bloodwork done.

Eat right. Plenty of sleep.

Supplements I take: Whey Isolate, fish oil, MV, D3, DHEA, Pregnenolone, NAC and joint support.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
thanks for your reply , i forgot to mention that i too am on trt-test undeconate every 11 weeks .Being based in the UK , the health service provide this.

its interesting you mention DHEA and preg, ive read several posts and articles outside AM where these are run alongside trt.Could you tell me the dosage or you using creams or pills and why are you running them , Thanks

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Testosterone is just a small part of the hormone system.

Based on bloodwork I found my DHEA levels were low. In an effort to "backfill" these, I started supplementing. I dose 25 mg ED.

I use an app called MyBloodTracker to track all the bloodwork I have. Here is my graph of my DHEA:

Pregnenolone supplementation is an experiment for me. I feel calmer when I take it. I dose 25 mg E3.5.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Short answer: Absolutely

I think the supps etc. are a smaller part of it. Yes they can help but the true crux is getting in the gym week after week after month after year and doing it while paying close attention to diet and a good lifestyle. Exercise/fitness and one's body, is a constant ongoing project from where I stand. It is not like you can get to a place then coast for a while and stay at a high level of fitness etc. It is of course easier to stay in shape as one is younger, but that is not to say as one ages, they cannot stay or even get into great shape. Look at guys like Clarence Bass, Jack Lalanne, Clint Walker, and a host of other drug free guys (and they were around way before the big supplements push) who fly under the glossy mag radar.
From my experience, nothing trumps determination, focus, good work ethic/habits, and consistency. Everything else takes a back seat. I am 58.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
I agree that the answer is yes, without question, although 'as you get older' is a relative term. For instance i think you can still look superb in your 30's and 40's and probably 50's (but i'm not in that bracket yet). But of course one cannot stop time and it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain top condition relative to much younger peers that benefit from greater levels of natural test, greater flexibility, ability to recover from injuries quicker, etc. In my mid 40's i look better than when i was in my 20's and 30's, but it is much harder to keep what i have.

Adaptation is key and working hard to preserve healthy joints, flexibility and staying injury free (at least as far as possible) and using wisdom over pure aggression towards your training methods.

canewme

canewme

Awards
You guys rock! Without a doubt, my biggest battle is inside my own head. No, you didn't post anything earth shatteringly new, but the mind set displayed was exactly the encouragement I needed, quite literally for this very moment. I do agree with power of TRT and supplementation. Time will take its toll, but that doesn't mean that I have to go willingly. You all have reminded me that my efforts are not in vain, but just good common sense. Thanks again, guys.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
im getting a lot of positivity from these posts which is encouraging

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, well just to reiterate some points... Muscle tissue can increase in strength and size by exercise, shown by tests of even 70- 80 year old's. Sure as we have stated, recovery may be tougher and not have the response like when a person is 20, but still, it has the ability to adapt and grow if stimulated.
That said and not to brag but, maybe a little, without any TRT, or PH's and using minimum OTC stuff like creatine and perhaps alpha sustain, or the likes, I was able at 55 to increase my deadlift up over #620 and was able to do 10 continuous reps, with #500, proving that muscle can respond into older age.
As Churchill said, "Never, never, never, never, never give up"...!

spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
Agree with the above statement. Age is a number. That is all. Yes we will all die. If disease doesn't get us, old age will. However, as a medical professional, I can tell you, there is age 60..........and then there is age 60. Both being vastly different from a health stand point. Ive seen 65 year olds in my gym that have a rockin body and can kick ass. Conversely, I have seen people in their late 40's early 50's that look horrid. I'm 46 and I rarely see a guy in my age bracket that can come close to my physique. I look early 30's and I can out train most of the 20 somethings in my gym. And no I am not manipulating hormones. I have more muscle and better quality muscle at 46 than I ever did. It seems to be getting better as time goes. I am, now, more educated on training and nutrition, perhaps that is one reason why. Does it get harder? Sure. My joints ache depending on what I do. I'm also training with a physical handicap that makes it harder for me to train certain parts. Don't let it get in your way.

What is your goal? Are you wanting to be bigger? Leaner? For me personally, I stopped training for size. Partly, b/c of my injury. It's not good for my joints to carry 200 plus anymore. Probably never was, I was just too young and dumb to figure it out at the time. I'm training more towards physique now instead of body building. Lighter, faster, feel better. Libido is through the roof. You may feel that your diet is clean. Perhaps it is. But is it "on." Are you truly getting the macros you need for your goal? Ive got a trainer helping me manipulate my macros. 5'11" and Ive gone from 204 to 188 fairly quickly. Started eating 2860 calories a day. Now at 2650 except on Saturdays. I drop fats by 15% and increase carbs by 50% for that one day. One thing I have learned this past year. Diet is key. Train all you want. But if that diet is not spot on, you won't get there. Not even with anabolics. Good look in the chase for success. And I would definitely get blood work done too. TRT is not a bad way to go either.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi ive been training years to keep in shape and for, the health benefits it brings etc but i still feel im like a dog chasing its tail , never quite getting there.

I also know of the senior class in bodybuilding competitions , a level reached by perhaps going to extremes.

I hope the above will give you an idea of where Im coming from so whats your view?

Is it spending more on supplements? , and what kind?current supps nothing out of the ordinary -creatine bcaa beta alanine taurine protein powders

-manipulating hormones ?

Thanks
You sure can. Its harder but anything in life that is good you have to work for.
53 years old and still hitting it for 35 years. the injuries have piled up but this is form 20 years of Power lifting and old sports injuries.

No TRT (yet) and all Natty.
you can do it. Basicly Diet and sleep and of course hitting the gym. supplements are just that Supplements.
I eat semi clean and always try to hit my Protein numbers every day. (Too old to fret too much about every macro). got to live a little.
Don't look as good as kenpoengineer but hey he is the man.

Everyday supplements: Whey mainly Isolates, Whole Food Multi, Krill Oil, NAC, Joint Support, Co-Q-10, about 8-12 caps of psyllium husk a day. (don't like the powder stuff) I like BCAA supplements Intra workout.
IMG_20170202_201958346.jpg

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

-manipulating hormones ?

Thanks
Everyone has a different philosophy, I guess.
I'm the risky type, motto: "Time is short, I'll do anything to get big quick, no nuts needed anymore."

My approach:
3-4 x week 90min workouts. Mostly moderate weights, high volume (trying to avoid injuries).
Currently trying any AAS to find out what works for me with the lowest sides.
Cruising-Blasting till the end.
Does it work? Yes, with ups-and downs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
59 years old I work out 6 days a week, and I am pretty happy with the way I look and life in general !!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Age is strictly a number and it means nothing. I firmly believe that we are like sharks - stop moving and you start dying.
Quoted for absolute truth. Look at men that have remained active their whole lives and how different they are physically and mentally than even men half their age. I'm not even referring to just weight lifting. Can't even count how many times I rode a chair lift up this winter with men in their 70s and 80s that are still skiing black diamond runs. They look phenomenal, act and talk like they are 40, and all have said what my dad has always preached to me- never, ever stop.

I am only 42, but have lifted weights since 17 and have competed in multiple sports at a sponsored level, so I have lived this. However, at 42, I am moving into the next phase where I need to be smarter and train differently so I can continue and never stop. Pushing ego aside and making sure I am up on that hill or in that gym when I am 75 years old is a side goal right now.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fast Greek.jpg

Fast Greek 2.jpg

The Fast Greek 86 years old 0-330mph in under 4 seconds

Reactions: Jag
spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
I've been "cutting" for a little bit now. Got the diet dialed in. 46 years old. I've gone from 204 to 189 Abs are getting tight and I am more vascular than I've ever been. I think I'm looking better now than when I was in my 20s. Yes it is possible. Just need some dedication and planning. You can still kick some ass

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looking Good BEAST73

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This Picture of me should answer some questions. Picture was taken 1999. I really thought that I had Muscle until now.

IMG_1490174921.520221.jpg

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I'm 64 and as a result of fighting my diabetes over the last couple years, I'm getting into better shape than I've been in for a long time. Went from a 14.1 A1C in 2013 to a 6.0 now. I also found Sarms last year, love those damn things. I work out totally differently than I did bitd mainly cause I do whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it but it's pretty much every day. People don't think I'm the age I am, not that it matters cause I'm proud to be this age. Must say though it's very cool to have a young person I teach drumming to say " I wish my grandpa was a muscle man like you, lol

spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
That is exactly it Fastone. Muscle Maturity. Most of us have been training for decades. We have quality muscle now. Hell my strength is even better than in my 20s. In my 20s I thought this age was too far gone and over the hill. I have much better muscle, and more size at a lighter weight. I have unintentionally embarrassed several younger guys in my gym by "warming up" with something they had just walked away from as a "heavy last set". Beast, looking good brother. I'm chasing you! Body fat has gone from 17.5 to 15 in about 5 weeks. Ive cut more since then. Will recheck the fat on Saturday and weigh in. Toying with the idea of physique competition. We will see how it goes. Keep you old fellas posted lol. We aren't old. We are just getting started good.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That is exactly it Fastone. Muscle Maturity. Most of us have been training for decades. We have quality muscle now. Hell my strength is even better than in my 20s. In my 20s I thought this age was too far gone and over the hill. I have much better muscle, and more size at a lighter weight. I have unintentionally embarrassed several younger guys in my gym by "warming up" with something they had just walked away from as a "heavy last set". Beast, looking good brother. I'm chasing you! Body fat has gone from 17.5 to 15 in about 5 weeks. Ive cut more since then. Will recheck the fat on Saturday and weigh in. Toying with the idea of physique competition. We will see how it goes. Keep you old fellas posted lol. We aren't old. We are just getting started good.
I agree 100%

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
This Picture of me should answer some questions. Picture was taken 1999. I really thought that I had Muscle until now.

My dude, you damn near look younger now! ...strong work.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I'm 64 and as a result of fighting my diabetes over the last couple years, I'm getting into better shape than I've been in for a long time. Went from a 14.1 A1C in 2013 to a 6.0 now. I also found Sarms last year, love those damn things. I work out totally differently than I did bitd mainly cause I do whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it but it's pretty much every day. People don't think I'm the age I am, not that it matters cause I'm proud to be this age. Must say though it's very cool to have a young person I teach drumming to say " I wish my grandpa was a muscle man like you, lol
hi just curious how you got on with sarms .Are you on trt as well as or taking alone.can they be run together and which did you use ?thanks

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
hi just curious how you got on with sarms .Are you on trt as well as or taking alone.can they be run together and which did you use ?thanks
I did the Triple Stack protocol consisting of Andarine, Ostarine and Cardarine. Just ended the Ostarine and Andarine, am taking a month or so off, no trt.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I agree that the answer is yes, without question, although 'as you get older' is a relative term. For instance i think you can still look superb in your 30's and 40's and probably 50's (but i'm not in that bracket yet). But of course one cannot stop time and it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain top condition relative to much younger peers that benefit from greater levels of natural test, greater flexibility, ability to recover from injuries quicker, etc. In my mid 40's i look better than when i was in my 20's and 30's, but it is much harder to keep what i have.

Adaptation is key and working hard to preserve healthy joints, flexibility and staying injury free (at least as far as possible) and using wisdom over pure aggression towards your training methods.
Just curious, I assume that is you in your avatar, how are you maintaing that level of conditioning? (Supps/diet/TRT? etc?)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
040117.JPG

I will be 60 years old on my next birthday !!

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Too many examples to use for this situation. Personally I hang out with lots of old dudes and a good friend who's at 47 beats my physique and strength. The dude is my idol.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
Yep, last summer, so not some old photo from 20 years ago. Hard work and consistency (and i mean really consistent) only had 10 days off from training in 30 years of training. Always training heavy too. I look the same all year round for the past 3 years following changes to diet.
Decent nutrition that you can follow day in day out without feeling you are making extreme sacrifices, high protein, medium carbs.
Supplements - More as i've got older (joints, fish oil, multi vits, green tea), but nothing special, and certainly not steroids and although tried Ostarine, abandoned it after 2 weeks and did nothing for me other than make me feel suppressed.

Mykoe

Awards
I feel like we get better as we age. More hours put into the gym. My gym has plenty of guys that are 50+ with stunning physiques

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
It's a double edge sword.

Yes we are wiser, know more about how are own bodies respond, probably have cleaner lives and diets, but on the flip side, injuries take their toll, muscles become less elastic and the demands of family can take precedence over the weights room. But in theory, yes, we can be better in our 40's than any other time in our lives. 50's maybe too, but i cannot say for sure yet.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a double edge sword.

Yes we are wiser, know more about how are own bodies respond, probably have cleaner lives and diets, but on the flip side, injuries take their toll, muscles become less elastic and the demands of family can take precedence over the weights room. But in theory, yes, we can be better in our 40's than any other time in our lives. 50's maybe too, but i cannot say for sure yet.
When you hit around 50, it impresses the ladies more, if you are muscular. You know, the grey hairs + wisdom + muscles = fornication. :)

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
and assuming they're your age you have natures birth control to put your mind at ease.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and assuming they're your age you have natures birth control to put your mind at ease.
LMAO, -but you are right! Now I have to erase the "mind-picture".

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When you hit around 50, it impresses the ladies more, if you are muscular. You know, the grey hairs + wisdom + muscles = fornication. :)
True, I got a couple that flirt at the gym. Kind of pisses off the wife. I told her we should have a threesome. She wasnt game.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True, I got a couple that flirt at the gym. Kind of pisses off the wife. I told her we should have a threesome. She wasnt game.
a couple + wife + you = foursome

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't think I could do a 4 some. Afraid his dick might touch me.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't think I could do a 4 some. Afraid his dick might touch me.
LMAO, unlucky "shot" from a stranger to my face would be my biggest fear! Hahaha!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You know, difficult to get out of my beard, that's why.... LOL

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No. Skin never has that same glow as when young. Hormones. Muscle declines and with diminishing collagen-elastin structure skin will droop. Hair goes grey which has a different texture.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No. Skin never has that same glow as when young. Hormones. Muscle declines and with diminishing collagen-elastin structure skin will droop. Hair goes grey which has a different texture.
The skin around my mid section is not as tight as it once was ....