CAN YOU LOOK "AESTHETICALLY GOOD" AS YOU GET OLDER ?

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. I look far fitter than at age 25 and I was uber active and good looking then . Sill good looking just different. Nowhere near the same. You will find out. Make fitness part of your life and that part of the ride is easy.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Studhorse View Post
    Wish my ab's looked 1/2 as good as yours brother.
    Thank you, It's the loose skin in the lower abs I can do nothing with ???
    TEAM GET DIESEL
    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM

Use Code 'Rocket5' for 5% off at FeFiFo.com
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    No. Skin never has that same glow as when young. Hormones. Muscle declines and with diminishing collagen-elastin structure skin will droop. Hair goes grey which has a different texture.
    You are referring to looking as young as you did, but the question is simply if you can look "AESTHETICALLY GOOD" as you get older- to which there is no question you certainly can.

Also, much of it depends on how you took care of yourself at a younger age and how you do now. I know plenty of 50+ yo people that could pass for their 30s. Genetics are a huge factor in this.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rocket3015 View Post
    Thank you, It's the loose skin in the lower abs I can do nothing with ???
    I hear ya brother! I wear it like an old man badge of honor. lol
    Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    You are referring to looking as young as you did, but the question is simply if you can look "AESTHETICALLY GOOD" as you get older- to which there is no question you certainly can.

Also, much of it depends on how you took care of yourself at a younger age and how you do now. I know plenty of 50+ yo people that could pass for their 30s. Genetics are a huge factor in this.
    As "aesthetically pleasing" as I did. Skin glows and is tight when young. Cannot be replicated when older even with added muscle and low BF%.

To me anything after 20s is a lesser level in terms of ratings. Still good looking just different. Have to use a different standard.

True, genetics. Have seen Asian women late 30s who could pass for late 20s. More durable collagen matrix I am told.

Well I should have answered yes and then qualified it with the same reasons rather than an outright No. My error.
    •   

6. To me, the answer to the question is yes. Looking "aesthetically good" doesn't really have an age but if you're looking for what you had in your youth, you'll come up short pretty much every time.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fastone View Post
    To me, the answer to the question is yes. Looking "aesthetically good" doesn't really have an age but if you're looking for what you had in your youth, you'll come up short pretty much every time.
    Yes, you are right.
    There are some heavy metabolic changes too -or all the protein intake calculators -and supposed scientific studies are wrong. Keep reading...

Remembering my youth, I had the best body at 19yo when in the army.
    I did mainly body weight exercises and looked like a serious gymnast, today you would say, like a guy who does calisthenics.
    Never did I watch my protein intake -and back then, never heard of macros.

My weight was around 185lbs with a guessed 10-15% BF. My protein intake depended on the food they gave me in the military (It was the communist Germany NVA), guessing it was not more than 90-115gr Protein/day, varying from day to day. How is it possible having an athletic body on such low protein intake?
    Nowadays we all use a sh1tload of protein powders, BCAA's and whatnot.
    Anyone?
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

8. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    Yes, you are right.
    There are some heavy metabolic changes too -or all the protein intake calculators -and supposed scientific studies are wrong. Keep reading...

I did mainly body weight exercises and looked like a serious gymnast, today you would say, like a guy who does calisthenics.

My weight was around 185lbs with a guessed 10-15% BF. My protein intake depended on the food they gave me in the military (It was the communist Germany NVA), guessing it was not more than 90-115gr Protein/day, varying from day to day. How is it possible having an athletic body on such low protein intake?
    Anyone?
    Could be that we're all wrong?
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

9. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    Yes, you are right.

Anyone?
    My unscientific take would be High Test levels at that age maximizing muscle. You know age 19, work all day, screw all night, only need three hours sleep, then repeat the same the next day.

10. No, I tend to believe all the discussion regarding macros is bull**** and always have. I see the guys that spend all the time so worried about each and every gram they consume and in the end they look no different than the guys who work as hard and don't worry about all of it. Unless you are competing at a level where every single thing in your life is down to the detail, the difference in 50 grams a protein or carbs a day isn't going to do a thing other than make you think it is making a difference.

11. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    No, I tend to believe all the discussion regarding macros is bull**** and always have. I see the guys that spend all the time so worried about each and every gram they consume and in the end they look no different than the guys who work as hard and don't worry about all of it. Unless you are competing at a level where every single thing in your life is down to the detail, the difference in 50 grams a protein or carbs a day isn't going to do a thing other than make you think it is making a difference.
    I totally agree. eat healthy, eat meat, eat in surplus/defecient(depending on goals), go ham in weight room and you will make gains

12. Quote Originally Posted by SFreed View Post
    Could be that we're all wrong?
    I suspect something like this -but it could be age related too.

Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    My unscientific take would be High Test levels at that age maximizing muscle. You know age 19, work all day, screw all night, only need three hours sleep, then repeat the same the next day.
    This would mean: When on a test cycle, you need less protein because of enhanced protein synthesis....
    Got me thinking now.

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    No, I tend to believe all the discussion regarding macros is bull**** and always have. I see the guys that spend all the time so worried about each and every gram they consume and in the end they look no different than the guys who work as hard and don't worry about all of it. Unless you are competing at a level where every single thing in your life is down to the detail, the difference in 50 grams a protein or carbs a day isn't going to do a thing other than make you think it is making a difference.
    I partly agree. The body does not mind having a lack of some molecules from expensive supplements. Nowadays, if your piss isn't glowing in the dark from all that bullcrap you take, you are no bodybuilder.LOL
    What about age?

Quote Originally Posted by rtmilburn View Post
    I totally agree. eat healthy, eat meat, eat in surplus/defecient(depending on goals), go ham in weight room and you will make gains
    Seems to be true.

13. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    My opinion: When I first started lifting I didn't watch how much I ate, it worked for about 5 years. then I started logging my protein intake, I was surprised how much I wasn't getting, started hitting a gram of protein per LB of body weight, I started increasing in strength and size again. after powerlifting for 28 years and started body building (mainly because of no longer being able to compete) I didn't watch my calories and I stayed fat. Wants I started to try to eat at lay on my ass maintaince I started to lose about a 1lb every week for about 3 months, then about 1lb. every 2-3 weeks, Now maybe a pound every month. except about 3 months ago I started going 2-5 hundred under and lost 11 pounds. Now I'm kind of stuck and frankly don't care. this is just a hobby and i'm not going to kill myself to look like a underwear model. I might try to lose another 5lb for the challenge of it. The wife likes my new look better! and if that means more SEX then I'm game! lol
    And I don't do cardio! can't stand it.

14. Can you lose weight without macro counts? Absolutely. Can you gain muscle without it? Sure thing. If you are looking at it in broad terms, yes. If you want to fine tune? I'm with Studhorse on that one. I had no idea what I was or was not getting until I started weighing and counting. It was rather shocking. I've got plenty of mass. I've always looked like I hit the weights a lot. Often asked if I was a college linebacker. I turned 46 and decided I wanted to change things up. Starting with dropping some fat. I've got an old injury that will haunt me later in life. A lighter, tighter, leaner me makes more sense. Helps keep the problems at bay. So a trainer friend of mine helped me out with my diet. Gave me a macro count and I bought a scale. You just THINK you are eating good or clean or whatever. you don't really know until you start weighing it. My first week he said just eat and weigh. Don't adjust. Just eat what you would normally eat. I felt like an idiot at the end of day 2. Started my macro counts up a week later. I didn't do any cardio and dropped 20 lbs. Funny thing is people say I'm bigger but I know I'm not. Way more cut and defined. Lately my weight is the same but I see more definition so I know I'm still dropping fat. This morning I could see definition through my ribs. Just a hint but its new. Abs are looking tight and defined. Even got some cuts in my legs. I'm starting to look shredded. Maybe some of y'all could have done it without scales or macro counts but I couldn't have. I no longer feel like a body builder. I'm feeling more like I sculpt my body. Chipping away at the fat and uncovering what I want. My wife is another example of counting macros for success. She got put on mega doses of prednisone years back. Bad juju. Went from athletic looking to chubby. That weight was hard for her to lose. She would plateau and get frustrated an quit. Try again same thing. Same trainer started working her diet. Dude. She's looking tight. Always heard abs are made in the kitchen. It's true. And it depends on your goals. You may not want that kind of definition. We all have our goals. I do anesthesia for a living. Cool thing about my job. There are a 1000 different ways to do the same thing. Each one arrives at the same end goal. But what works for one.......may not work for another. We all have our techniques and ways of doing things. This is no different. All that matters is that we hit our goals. Good luck in your pursuits!

15. Quote Originally Posted by Studhorse View Post
    My opinion: When I first started lifting I didn't watch how much I ate, it worked for about 5 years. then I started logging my protein intake, I was surprised how much I wasn't getting, started hitting a gram of protein per LB of body weight, I started increasing in strength and size again. after powerlifting for 28 years and started body building (mainly because of no longer being able to compete) I didn't watch my calories and I stayed fat. Wants I started to try to eat at lay on my ass maintaince I started to lose about a 1lb every week for about 3 months, then about 1lb. every 2-3 weeks, Now maybe a pound every month. except about 3 months ago I started going 2-5 hundred under and lost 11 pounds. Now I'm kind of stuck and frankly don't care. this is just a hobby and i'm not going to kill myself to look like a underwear model. I might try to lose another 5lb for the challenge of it. The wife likes my new look better! and if that means more SEX then I'm game! lol
    And I don't do cardio! can't stand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfisher View Post
    Can you lose weight without macro counts? Absolutely. Can you gain muscle without it? Sure thing. If you are looking at it in broad terms, yes. If you want to fine tune? I'm with Studhorse on that one. I had no idea what I was or was not getting until I started weighing and counting. It was rather shocking. I've got plenty of mass. I've always looked like I hit the weights a lot. Often asked if I was a college linebacker. I turned 46 and decided I wanted to change things up. Starting with dropping some fat. I've got an old injury that will haunt me later in life. A lighter, tighter, leaner me makes more sense. Helps keep the problems at bay. So a trainer friend of mine helped me out with my diet. Gave me a macro count and I bought a scale. You just THINK you are eating good or clean or whatever. you don't really know until you start weighing it. My first week he said just eat and weigh. Don't adjust. Just eat what you would normally eat. I felt like an idiot at the end of day 2. Started my macro counts up a week later. I didn't do any cardio and dropped 20 lbs. Funny thing is people say I'm bigger but I know I'm not. Way more cut and defined. Lately my weight is the same but I see more definition so I know I'm still dropping fat. This morning I could see definition through my ribs. Just a hint but its new. Abs are looking tight and defined. Even got some cuts in my legs. I'm starting to look shredded. Maybe some of y'all could have done it without scales or macro counts but I couldn't have. I no longer feel like a body builder. I'm feeling more like I sculpt my body. Chipping away at the fat and uncovering what I want. My wife is another example of counting macros for success. She got put on mega doses of prednisone years back. Bad juju. Went from athletic looking to chubby. That weight was hard for her to lose. She would plateau and get frustrated an quit. Try again same thing. Same trainer started working her diet. Dude. She's looking tight. Always heard abs are made in the kitchen. It's true. And it depends on your goals. You may not want that kind of definition. We all have our goals. I do anesthesia for a living. Cool thing about my job. There are a 1000 different ways to do the same thing. Each one arrives at the same end goal. But what works for one.......may not work for another. We all have our techniques and ways of doing things. This is no different. All that matters is that we hit our goals. Good luck in your pursuits!
    That's the point...- now that we are older we start counting macros to see results -not when younger!
    It's not testosterone -but age related somehow (because I'm juicing and still have to watch macros vs being young and not juicing/not watching macros)

16. That's why I'm more impressed by a great physique in people above 30. So many people can be lazy, eat all they want and appear healthy/fit in their 20's simply due to a youthful metabolism and optimal hormone balance. After 30 it takes strict discipline and that is what I find admirable.The posers are weeded out.

17. I wanted to read the wot but had a hard time. To me, I say F macros because they mean little. I'm 43, bust my ass, never stop moving and look and feel better than almost any 20 something, including my own ass in my early lifting years.

18. I only count My calorie intake, and no Protein Shakes..

19. Much respect to all of you older gentlemen in this thread. I'm in my late 30's and quickly approaching 40. I've been lifting since the age of 17 and hope to continue until the day I die. To repeat what many others have stated, I feel it all comes down to training smarter not harder, consistency/work ethic, proper nutrition/recovery protocols, and forcing continual improvement/adaptation.

20. In after the beast

21. Yes, I don't think it is just test or the lack either. Too many other variables/hormones we know little about or how to balance. Test, GH, etc. etc. may be responsible for some things, but not necessarily complete time stopping anti aging. Even teens age, get older every day and move towards the front of the line.
    Too, look at others species of animals. Horses are at their peak at 2-3-4 years old (See Secretariat) no matter what they are injecting them with, none of them win Belmont at 9 or 10.
    I think as a species, youth, is for procreating and being a great provider/hunter in the wild. Older men, are the wisemen who the tribe went to for understanding and knowledge and how to get the jobs done.
    Our bodies are temporary and quite possible the real illusion, and it is very possible, our minds/universal intelligence, goes on forever. What are you gonna be next generation/century?

22. Quote Originally Posted by BEAST73 View Post
    I only count My calorie intake, and no Protein Shakes..
    But you are a freak! lol I usually just watch my Calories and Protein number.

23. @Studhorse, You might be right. Lol!

24. 43 and i feel great, better than when i was younger.. but you have to go Wisely.. never give up bro! https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/p...1026?icm=falseName:  Screenshot_2017-05-17-09-33-49.png
Views: 136
Size:  449.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Beast Mode!

25. Quote Originally Posted by luisca3 View Post
    43 and i feel great, better than when i was younger.. but you have to go Wisely.. never give up bro! https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/p...1026?icm=falseName:  Screenshot_2017-05-17-09-33-49.png
Views: 136
Size:  449.9 KB
    looking good .whats your diet and supp routine
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 03:28 PM
  2. Can creatine make you look fat?
    By shaun1988 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM
  3. Replies: 0