Keto Diet | Best for Longevity?

MindMuscleRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
seems like everyone who used to be big on gear are flocking to using all keto diet to circumvent long term health effects of prolonger anabolic usage. what is everyones opinion on implementing a keto diet to live longer?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its anti-cancer effects and reduction of insulin are certainly helpful to someone 40+. You just have to get through 1. the initial transfer into ketosis and 2. the weeks it takes to get full keto adapted to where glycogen levels start to come back.

hotdawg

hotdawg

Awards
I'm looking into something like this long term now as well. I did Dan Duchaine's BodyOpus diet back in college (late 90's), that was a cyclic ketogenic diet though so a bit different...but I really didn't have any problems with it. I don't have a sweet tooth and never have, and am not particularly good at eating carbs and had to give up beer (and all alcohol) a year ago anyway.

2 reasons I'm looking to transition into it specifically, is that over the last 15 years or so I've had family members getting diagnosed with all sorts of different types of cancer....so that worries me. Also, I know with a higher fat type diet you get the benefits of naturally increasing and/or maximizing whatever testosterone levels your body is capable of making, at some point I intend to have mine checked just to see where I'm at.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes it does increase hormone production simply because of the abundance of fats you eat. What is interesting is there was a study showing the effects of a keto diet vs the CKD and the keto diet lost more fat because it took almost 4 days for the CKD to get back into ketosis...by which time they would go refeed again 2 days later. In the long run, the keto diet lost more fat and retained more muscle.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is this the same premise that the Atkins diet works on?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lol I tried the Atkins several years ago and hated it. The cutting of carbs in the beginning made me homicidal. I'm not knocking the Keto diet at all because I don't know anything about it. I just never understood how a Dr (Atkins) could tell someone to eat all the mayo, butter, bacon and any other meats and you'll be healthy.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol I tried the Atkins several years ago and hated it. The cutting of carbs in the beginning made me homicidal. I'm not knocking the Keto diet at all because I don't know anything about it. I just never understood how a Dr (Atkins) could tell someone to eat all the mayo, butter, bacon and any other meats and you'll be healthy.
Thats because you were lead to believe that saturated fats are bad for you, when in fact, its sugar that does way more damage.

I would say 90% of people who try a keto diet, do it wrong and its why they end up feeling like crap and never fully become keto adapted.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I whole heartedly agree sugar is the number one evil. But we all know someone can't eat all the bacon they can eat and not have health problems.

mdavis16

Awards
I highly recommend the keto diet if it's done correctly. I've been on it for just about one month and have so much energy and lost all bloat. Drink tons of water and figure out your macros and you'll see results. I don't crave horrible food at all anymore and has increased my productivity by a long shot!

If you have any questions about it let me know! Good luck!!

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I highly recommend the keto diet if it's done correctly. I've been on it for just about one month and have so much energy and lost all bloat. Drink tons of water and figure out your macros and you'll see results. I don't crave horrible food at all anymore and has increased my productivity by a long shot!

If you have any questions about it let me know! Good luck!!
Same here, I'm about 3 weeks in and I feel terrific. I'm down about 10lbs and bloat is significantly decreased. I'm also doing an IF style keto diet.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I whole heartedly agree sugar is the number one evil. But we all know someone can't eat all the bacon they can eat and not have health problems.
You would probably have complications because of excess sodium intake but there is nothing within the fat of bacon that is unhealthy.

mdavis16

Awards
I literally just decided I need to eat healthier and went food shopping and started immediately. I kept my carb intake to under 20 g a day. I bought a ton of chicken, beef, cheese, whipping cream, etc. and just created meals about that. Also started drinking so much water!!!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did you get started?
I did because of above average blood glucose levels....it is genetic in my family, but lowering it can only be good.

I feel 10x better as well.

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I literally just decided I need to eat healthier and went food shopping and started immediately. I kept my carb intake to under 20 g a day. I bought a ton of chicken, beef, cheese, whipping cream, etc. and just created meals about that. Also started drinking so much water!!!
I did because of above average blood glucose levels....it is genetic in my family, but lowering it can only be good.

Do you guys try and hit a certain total of net carbs or just carbs in general? I've been reading it's really dependent on the individual. I personally go for 25-30g net carbs.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you guys try and hit a certain total of net carbs or just carbs in general? I've been reading it's really dependent on the individual. I personally go for 25-30g net carbs.
At first, under 30g. Once fully keto adapted, you can hover around 50-70g and still remain in ketosis (most can). I try to keep carbs mainly from veggies though.

And thats net carbs...

mdavis16

Awards
I base mine around net carbs and it's worked out perfectly fine for me. Dietary fiber doesn't really digest in your body as carbs, so in theory it's not bad for you. It's lowered my BP so much and my stamina is great. Working out on keto the first week kind of sucked because I was a carb hoarder. But by week two my workouts felt so good.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Ok....I'm going to look up what I can find online to educate myself with the keto diet. My wife, due to a foot injury was unable to run for nearly 2 years. She was soon everything she could to avoid surgery for plantar fasciitis and succeeded, but only after gaining 40 pounds. She also went back to school plus works full time. We are in our early 40's. We try to eat as healthy as we can but sometimes fall off the wagon. If this is something that may jump start her weight loss in the beginning, she just may be willing to do it. She's pretty knowledgable on fitness and eating right so she will be skeptical about this until I give her some good material to read.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I base mine around net carbs and it's worked out perfectly fine for me. Dietary fiber doesn't really digest in your body as carbs, so in theory it's not bad for you. It's lowered my BP so much and my stamina is great. Working out on keto the first week kind of sucked because I was a carb hoarder. But by week two my workouts felt so good.
For me, it only took a couple days because I made sure fats were 75% of the diet and I lowered protein levels. Its really hard for anyone who works out to trust that they don't need that much protein on a keto diet and they often keep it higher...which then keeps you out of ketosis (via gluconeogenesis) and tehy end up feeling like crap for a longer period of time. Once keto adapted you can raise protein but I generally only keep it at 1g/kg of lean mass and I have no issues. In fact, strength goes up and recovery is great. I also use bcaa's during a keto diet because its shown that leucine oxidation is reduced during ketosis as opposed to a classic 40/40/20 split.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok....I'm going to look up what I can find online to educate myself with the keto diet. My wife, due to a foot injury was unable to run for nearly 2 years. She was soon everything she could to avoid surgery for plantar fasciitis and succeeded, but only after gaining 40 pounds. She also went back to school plus works full time. We are in our early 40's. We try to eat as healthy as we can but sometimes fall off the wagon. If this is something that may jump start her weight loss in the beginning, she just may be willing to do it. She's pretty knowledgable on fitness and eating right so she will be skeptical about this until I give her some good material to read.
http://www.ketonutrition.org/#

Click on Podcast, News and Blogs. On the right is a TON of resources from Dom D'Agostino.

mdavis16

Awards
At first, under 30g. Once fully keto adapted, you can hover around 50-70g and still remain in ketosis (most can). I try to keep carbs mainly from veggies though.

And thats net carbs...
I do the same. However I cant kick my body out of 30 g of carbs a day. I've also never really met anyone who can eat over 60 grams of carbs a day and not kick themselves out of ketosis. More power to you for being able to eat 50-70 grams of it. Everyone's body is different but I would just try and not go over that many carbs

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do the same. However I cant kick my body out of 30 g of carbs a day. I've also never really met anyone who can eat over 60 grams of carbs a day and not kick themselves out of ketosis. More power to you for being able to eat 50-70 grams of it. Everyone's body is different but I would just try and not go over that many carbs
Takes a long term for those who just started to get fully keto adapted..up to 6 weeks minimum.

ezjax

Awards
Been on and off since '05.

Typical day

Bacon and eggs
Avocado
2lbs rib steak
Salad
Ceuciferous vegetable

Snacks
Pork rinds
Sopressara

Condement

Lee kum kim siracha mayo
Newmans oil and vinegar

Been running strong with no refeed since jan3

ezjax

Awards
Been on and off since '05.

Typical day

Bacon and eggs
Avocado
2lbs rib steak
Salad
Cruciferous vegetable

Snacks
Pork rinds
Sopressata

Condement

Lee kum kim siracha mayo
Newmans oil and vinegar

Been running strong with no refeed since jan3

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just don't know what I would eat to hit my calories if it was 75% fat.

That's 2700 calories from fat and 900 from protein.
So 300g fat and 225g protein.

Bacon, eggs, and cheese are a breakfast staple, but every lunch and dinner requires carbs

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established

Bacon, eggs, and cheese are a breakfast staple, but every lunch and dinner requires carbs
Its actually pretty easy.

ezjax

Awards
Rib steak = 1300 cals per lb.. that's 2600 cals Right there with 200g of fat..

Your bacon eggs and cheese would surely cover the rest..

Siracha mayo ads fat too

mdavis16

Awards

Avocados are a heaven sent on keto! If I'm ever lacking my macros significantly I eat avocados! Also put coconut oil on anything you cook. That easily amps up your fat without you even having to do much. Also make sure that 2700 is what you need as your calorie goal because if it's not keto is pointless! But add avocados and coconut oil to your next shopping trip!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But what do you eat with the steak like on the side?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Avocados are a heaven sent on keto! If I'm ever lacking my macros significantly I eat avocados! Also put coconut oil on anything you cook. That easily amps up your fat without you even having to do much. Also make sure that 2700 is what you need as your calorie goal because if it's not keto is pointless! But add avocados and coconut oil to your next shopping trip!
My maintenance is around 2600-2800. I'm taking in 3600 atm

ezjax

Awards
Brocolli, or Brussel sprouts or asparagus and siracha mayo.. the veggies are sauteed in a half inch of oil..

And a salad

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not true there is no reason you couldn't eat ton of bacon!!! Saturated fats aren't bad, dietary cholesterol isn't bad, and that leaves only sodium so cut it from other sources and while keto that helps drain salt. So no reason you can't

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its anti-cancer effects and reduction of insulin are certainly helpful to someone 40+. You just have to get through 1. the initial transfer into ketosis and 2. the weeks it takes to get full keto adapted to where glycogen levels start to come back.
2 is so important!!!!! People avoid carbs to much while on keto when small amounts can increase ketones and people also like to neglected fibers, when while keto you want as much fiber as you can handle

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Salad, sautéed onions bells and mushrooms, mashed cauliflower, home baked starches made from almond flour, squash/zucchini, more bell pepper, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, broc, and hot sauce and cheese all the things.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
-Broccoli and cheese
-Broccoli Waldorf salad
-Brussels fried then add blue cheese and walnuts till melted
-Big wedge salad with blue cheese dressing and walnuts
-Asparagus drizzled with coconut oil and couple wedges of lemon add chopped almonds and broil

It's really easy

-Mushroom caps stuffed with sausage
-Stuffed green peppers
-riced cauliflower covered with stir fry or curry

It's really easy one you get started

Also one thing of note you have to drop protein otherwise you'll get kicked out of ketosis. This is hands down the hardest thing for someone to do after being told how much protein they need. Dropping down to maybe a 100g-150g after being used to 250g-350g is a hard pill to swallow.
But one of the things about keto is your body is way more efficient with protein so you just don't need as much.

I've been on and off for the last decade and a half. Currently it's been almost 2 years of going at it.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But... no cereal? Or tortillas?! Or yogurt/fruit.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

mdavis16

Awards
I usually eat 1 c Greek yogurt with 100g blueberries and 50g strawberries.
If you're (or anyone) just starting keto I highly don't recommend eating yogurt whatsoever. Maybe once your body gets really adapted to keto, even then it could be a little risky. If you intake no carbs whatsoever all day then I'd say some yogurt is fine.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're (or anyone) just starting keto I highly don't recommend eating yogurt whatsoever. Maybe once your body gets really adapted to keto, even then it could be a little risky. If you intake no carbs whatsoever all day then I'd say some yogurt is fine.
Plain Greek yogurt has very little carbs

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess I could do cream cheese with fruit ???

MindMuscleRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
no carbs for me has never been a issue. longest ive been between carb meals has been 60 days. i would say the initial 3-10 days is the worst but once your body and brain are on the same channel its easy. i remember being in prep and second guessing my coach lol he laughed when i said "are you sure you want me to have this cheat meal, i can keep going without them if i needed"