Adductor pain

Shane D

Awards
I'm 41 years old and started lifting 5 days a week about 8 months ago. I'm seeing a lot of success and muscle gains every week! But now after doing heavy back squats , leg press and other lower body workouts my adductors in the groin area are very sore in one particular spot on both legs but more on the left side. I am sore there 95% of the time now. I don't usually feel the pain there unless I do a certain movement to quickly. What do you guys think the issue is? Anyone else have this problem? I also only squat once a week, I stretch before lifting and I am sore every day of the week it never really goes away.

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
I'm 41 years old and started lifting 5 days a week about 8 months ago. I'm seeing a lot of success and muscle gains every week! But now after doing heavy back squats , leg press and other lower body workouts my adductors in the groin area are very sore in one particular spot on both legs but more on the left side. I am sore there 95% of the time now. I don't usually feel the pain there unless I do a certain movement to quickly. What do you guys think the issue is? Anyone else have this problem? I also only squat once a week, I stretch before lifting and I am sore every day of the week it never really goes away.
Angry tight muscles don't like being stretched. Fell your adductor - apply pressure to it - does it hurt? That is a trigger point. Stretching the muscle won't break it up. Think of tying a knot in a rubber band then pulling the rubber band taut. The knot just gets tighter.

Have you tried foam rolling your adductors? It hurts like eight b1tches on a b1tch boat but it will help break up the muscle and restore movement. Do it before stretching.

Adductors get like that from our seated posture. Sitting too much can make them chronically tight and cause problems down the kinetic chain.

That is my experience. Hope it helps.

Shane D

Awards
Do you recommend any videos on how to foam roll your adductors?

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
Kelly Starrett is your go to guy for stuff like this, so search for adductors+mobiltyWOD in google and youtube. And bring the pain.

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
Maybe worth considering taking a week or two off the exercises that give your adductors the most grief, try and get the scar tissue broken up through myofascial release and gradually build the lifts back in that were causing issues.