Need advice on Testosterone levels

nubby

Awards
After running into some 'low T' symptoms (low libido, weight gain, mood swings, osteopenia, and lack of energy) an endocrinologist ran several tests to check things out. After he reviewed them, he said everything was 'normal'. There was very little explanation of the numbers, or how they interacted.

My testosterone numbers :

Bioavailable : 118.8 ng/dl
SHBG : 34 nmol/l
Total : 471 ng/dl
Free : 63.1 pg/ml

Some research I've done points to my total and free being a bit on the low side for my age, but my SHBG is actually in good order (going off the Vermeulen, A 1996 study)

I'm wondering if all the numbers are in fact normal or if they're pointing to another cause for the symptoms. Thanks in advance for any advice/help - it's much appreciated.

shanethomas

Awards
How old are you? Maybe your levels used to be very high maybe in the 800-900 ng/dl range and recently they have dropped for you and you feel it. 471 is in the normal range. Most docs won't prescribe trt if you're that high

nubby

Awards
I'm 40 years old and have been active in weightlifting for about 8 years. In the last 5-6 months, I've gained about 15-20 lbs, but I've added a lot of healthy fats to hopefully raise my levels. Getting over 155 lbs was always difficult, and now I'm around 175 lbs most days.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To help with your decision, here is a table of target TRT values that most doctors shoot for:

nubby

Awards
Thank you both for the info! The chart is an interesting read.

I'd like to raise things on my own, especially since the numbers aren't in the gutter. The loss of bone mass is troubling, but I've upped my calcium intake. I've been reading the supplement section on this site to see if there's some magic combo to make things more of an optimal situation. At this point, I'd try drink bull urine if it had potential to perk things up.

nubby

Awards
Wonderful. I guess I should've come here sooner. My doctor doesn't even lift OR bro-science. I was told 600 mgs twice a day should help with the osteopenia. But the guy was willing to write a TRT script after one total T test that scored a 358.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a piece of advice- when submitting any lab numbers, provide the range the lab is working off of. There are different values depending on who you use and context is necessary.

That being said, don't see anything related to thyroid here and that is definitely a requirement when checking for these issues.

BentBarbell

BentBarbell

Awards
Last year I scored a 242 and the doctor told me they prescribe under 200 and I fall into the normal range... I'm 25...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That doctor is telling you that he doesn't really give a **** and was only going to treat the number anyway. So in a way, he did you a favor by telling you that.

nubby

Awards
Thanks for the tip and sorry for the missing info.

FSH 5.4 mlU/mL (1.6-8.0 mlU/mL)
LH 6.5 mlU/mL (1.5-9.3 mlU/mL)
Prolactin 12.4 ng/mL (2.0-18.0 ng/mL)
T4Free 1.1 ng/mL (0.8-1.8)
TSH 3.05 mlU/mL (0.40-4.50 mlU/mL)
Bioavailable T 118.8 ng/dL (110-575 ng/dL)
SHBG 34 nmol/L (10-50 nmol/L)
Total T 471 ng/dL (250-1100 ng/dL)
Free T 63.1 (46.0-224.0 pg/mL)
HDL Cholesterol 63 mg/dL (>or =40)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You numbers look good overall, but I would inquire about your thyroid levels. Based on newer endo agreed upon ranges, you are on the high end of TSH levels that could indicate hypothyroidism symptoms. Combined with a low-normal freeT4, might be worth looking into, IMO. Your symptoms mentioned are in line with hypo.

The main reason I am aware is that I had similar and we spent about 6 months adjusting this prior to ever getting on TRT.

nubby

Awards
Invaluable information, kisaj! I didn't post my thyroid numbers earlier because the indo said they were great. After looking into the newer reference range some agree with, it's definitely worth investigating. I read that part of thyroid function depends on healthy gut bacteria. Oddly, I started probiotics a little over two weeks ago and have noticed an improvement in energy levels!

I can't thank you enough for taking your time to share your knowledge with me!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey, anytime friend. That's why we are here.:)

I'm glad you mentioned gut health because I feel it is the most overlooked area for overall health. Everything is related to that and probiotics can be a life changer. I have friends that have suffered from gout and other ailments that started taking probiotics and have been able to drop prescription drugs and are living a better life now.