Calories/metabolism/bf% questions

pigeonjp

Awards
Hey everyone so I have a couple questions after reading a lot of recomp and cutting logs I'm wondering if my metabolism sucks as bad as I think it does? I'm 38yrs old, 5'9.5"and 242lbs. I have a desk job and lift 5 times a week mostly big lifts, squsts, deads, incline bench, clean and jerk, pull ups, rows, etc. I alternate from heavy lifting, low rep and high set to medium weight, classic bb reps/sets each week. I typically do 15-20min of inclined fast walk/jog following lifting. 2 months ago I dropped from 2200 cals (maintenance) to 1800, scale didn't budge at all after a month, Energy levels weren't great so day 30 I bumped up to 2000 cals and added 2gms/day sns tta, I'm at day 60 now (see pic) and the scale hasn't budged. 3pt calipers have me 23% bf. I'm hardcore keto cause anytime I add carbs I pack on lbs faster than stay puff injecting liquid Krispy kremes. With keto I'm at least able to maintain. When I read logs/posts I see guys my age who are 80lbs less but are 500+ more cals while cutting.

Is my metabolism shot?
Do I need to do more?
Does bf% look accurate?

20160927_101759.jpg

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I must become of those guys as currently stable at ~160 lbs but I generally I lose a pound a week on 2200-2300 kcals a day - couple of questions

1 - you say you are on a Keto diet, what are your current macros? as I am surprised you are not losing weight at the low levels of caloric intake at your current body weight.

2 - have you had your thyroid checked?

3 - how long are you lifting per session and how many reps / sets typically per workout?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First off you don't look bad brother!

Is your body fat going down and weight staying the same?

What is your past history? were you once leaner or always been a little chubby

Did you use to starve yourself in the past like to make weight for wrestling?

I have never done a KETO but I guy at the gym is on one and he is losing very little weight but leaning up. he is also only like 30 years old and kind of skinny to start with.

Getting older sucks when it comes to losing weight. I have always had trouble keeping fat off.

Setting at a desk has its advantages and dis-advantages. I have a desk job and love the shorter recovery time from the rest. This does require more cardio.
I rest 45sec - 1min. between sets. this helps me a little. I don't like cardio and my ankles cant handle the pounding of running. the elliptical gives me back spasms. I use the bike / Stair climber. I don't have time to walk for an hour a day.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys thanks for responses. So I double posted by accident, over in the nutrition forum under weight loss. It answers some of your questions but I'll answer both of your your questions anyway because I appreciate your help!

FYI I changed my screen name so I lost my ability to post links.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
answers for mickc1965

1 - macros - carbs less 25g (not including fiber), protein 125g (any more and my ketonix readings start to drop) and fat 155g

2 - not yet, going to ask the doc at my upcoming physical in about a month

3 - alternate each week lifting is around 30min, 30-60seconds rest
Heavy week example
Squats - 8 sets 315 x 5-6reps
Deads - 8 sets 375 x 5-6reps

Moderate week example
Squats - 8 sets 225 x 10-12reps
Deads - 8 sets 275 x 10-12reps

Also 15-20min fast walk/jog on 7 out of 10 incline treadmill after lifting

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
First off you don't look bad brother!

Is your body fat going down and weight staying the same?

What is your past history? were you once leaner or always been a little chubby

Did you use to starve yourself in the past like to make weight for wrestling?

I have never done a KETO but I guy at the gym is on one and he is losing very little weight but leaning up. he is also only like 30 years old and kind of skinny to start with.

Getting older sucks when it comes to losing weight. I have always had trouble keeping fat off.

Setting at a desk has its advantages and dis-advantages. I have a desk job and love the shorter recovery time from the rest. This does require more cardio.
I rest 45sec - 1min. between sets. this helps me a little. I don't like cardio and my ankles cant handle the pounding of running. the elliptical gives me back spasms. I use the bike / Stair climber. I don't have time to walk for an hour a day.
Currently bf and weight are holding firm. definitely always been chubby, never starved myself as a kid that's for sure! I did occasionally fast the day prior to a wrestling meet in high school but never for more than a day.

In the past if I dropped calories I was much more responsive, it's just weird now. I've actually dropped cals further down to 1750 and I'm finally starting to budge on the scale and the calipers. Think I'm just one of the lucky ones that gets to save on my grocery bill big time if I want to cut!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Currently bf and weight are holding firm. definitely always been chubby, never starved myself as a kid that's for sure! I did occasionally fast the day prior to a wrestling meet in high school but never for more than a day.

In the past if I dropped calories I was much more responsive, it's just weird now. I've actually dropped cals further down to 1750 and I'm finally starting to budge on the scale and the calipers. Think I'm just one of the lucky ones that gets to save on my grocery bill big time if I want to cut!
Looks like you might be figuring it out. It's a journey of trial and error. Once you find what works that is a woo hoo moment. It's like finding that lift that really works for you and you don't see anyone else doing it.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Looks like you might be figuring it out. It's a journey of trial and error. Once you find what works that is a woo hoo moment. It's like finding that lift that really works for you and you don't see anyone else doing it.
Ok thanks man and thanks for the kind words in your first post!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok thanks man and thanks for the kind words in your first post!
We are just a big family here. everyone is pretty much strait up with the same goals or we wouldn't be wasting our time. we try to motivate each other. That doesn't mean you wont get your balls busted every once in a while!