new training plan

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
I am trying to get back into shape for an OCR race. Options offered on here are Build Muscle or Lose Fat. Not sure which avenue I want to go down Which is better. I am limited on time to work out.

DozerDean

DozerDean

Awards
Look into crossfit.. it gets made fun of on the boards but it will get you into general fitness the quickest.

Last edited:
Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Look into crossfit.. it gets made fun of on the boards but it will get you into general fitness the quickest.
I would agree with this, Crossfit is going to get you more conditioned then anything else I can think of to prep for an OCR race. Off course, you could go the traditional lifting route with cardio, and mix in crossfit. How much time before your race?

MikeNice81

Awards

The downside to crossfit is the cost and coaches. I haven't found a box under $100 a month. Plus, most of the coaches I've met don't know enough about Oly lifting for the programming. You can replicate most of what they do at most gyms that have a decent squat rack or power cage.if you know the lifts grab a few WODs and develop your own program.

Crossfit style has some great benefits I know a few cops that swear by CF that I wouldn't dare mess with.

DozerDean

DozerDean

Awards
Yep the boxes are expensive. But the work out program is free. Most can be done with very little equipment and done in your garage.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lots of unanswered questions. Which race are you prepping for? I generally try to hit 5 or 6 OCR's a year, and each are a little different. What length will it be? That will affect how long you will need to run before hitting obstacles. If it's only a 5K, you'll probably only be running a short distance between obstacles. It seems to me that most people have issues with the upper body type stuff. Monkey bars, rings and rope climbs. If you can, go trail running. It will build your endurance and help with fat loss. Easiest way to increase your upper body strength is by lowering the amount of weight your upper body has to lift.