Mark Rippetoe on making gains in your 40s and beyond PODCAST

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6-GZ8Xjd4

I hope the link is allowed. It is a long discussion, over an hour, but very knowledgeable. I arrived at the same route intuitively by trying different routines over the previous years. I only started lifting at age 46.

In summary the salient point is keep volume down.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My dad is 74 and only works volume and is a monster. I have several groups of guys in their 60s and 70s I'll lift with on occasion that were old powerlifters and they swear by volume and lighter weight.

I'll go by real life experience.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lighter weights? He meant volume and heavy weights. Explicitly said so.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Admittedly, I did not listen to the whole discussion because it is long. I was basing my comment on your summation. Heavy weight is an enormous factor.

Guitaryellow

Awards
I need to listen to this, could be interesting, I'm 48 Sunday, started at 15 and need to re-evaluate, I lift heavy all the time, however recovery taking longer.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Admittedly, I did not listen to the whole discussion because it is long. I was basing my comment on your summation. Heavy weight is an enormous factor.
He says it is easier to go heavy with volume later if you start earlier. If you start later, [as in me], you can safely make gains but have to keep volume low. He was referring to training not exercising so heavy is a basic. The reason being for safety and recovery.

Guitaryellow

Awards
Excellent interview, well worth a listen.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Thanks for the link. I just heard him on a 2009 Iron Radio podcast yesterday and liked it - heard of him, but never heard him speak or read his stuff. I too have arrived at heavy, but low volume, after some injury/lethargy trying to keep up with my earlier self. 48.