Dealing with shoulder osteoarthritis

Stabsy

Stabsy

Awards
Hi all, just had my shoulder scoped and found I have arthritis in my shoulder "grade 3 chondral changes glenoid head approx 70% of surface". Surgeon recommends I stop lifting. Bit of a knee jerk reaction I think haha. Need my joint to last as long as possible so if anyone has any advice on particular lifts to avoid or ones to add would be appreciated. Have been told to avoid anything above my head so maybe get away with dropping shoulder presses going a bit lighter maybe?

Thanks guys

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had my shoulder scoped about 7 year ago. I'm 42 now. Very similar situation along with having the end of my collar bone taken off and bone spurs on my rotator cuff. I stayed away from using the bar for chest and using only dumb bells or machines. Stay away from anything overhead for a while, like a year, then incorporate light overhead dumb bell presses. Kinda sucks but it will save on your shoulder.

Stabsy

Stabsy

Awards
I had my shoulder scoped about 7 year ago. I'm 42 now. Very similar situation along with having the end of my collar bone taken off and bone spurs on my rotator cuff. I stayed away from using the bar for chest and using only dumb bells or machines. Stay away from anything overhead for a while, like a year, then incorporate light overhead dumb bell presses. Kinda sucks but it will save on your shoulder.
Thanks man there is some hope then :) I have had the ends of both collar bones removed as well a few years ago. Plan to take it easy for a while, not too much weight. Trouble will be holding off adding weight if there is no pain. What is the advantage of using dumbells over a bar?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When using dumb bells it doesn't put as much stress on the shoulder. You also strengthen your stabilizer muscles as well which helps your shoulder even more. Be careful on adding weight for a while. If you feel like you need to up the weight, up the reps instead. When the reps start getting high then start adding a little bit of weight and dropping the reps. Keep working up like that. Did wonders for me until I got back to 100%

Stabsy

Stabsy

Awards
Cool bananas. Thanks man