This old man getting back to it

rjc799

Awards
New here but figured I better hang in the appropriate age thread and gather as much knowledge as possible. My current status:

195 lbs
Fairly active, but have had neck & shoulder injuries.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welcome rjc

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welcome bro. Any specific goals? Gain weight, cut weight, set PR's, look good naked? All of the above? Lol

rjc799

Awards
Actually weight is inconsequential to me. I'd like to gain muscle, while trimming fat while setting PR's so I can look good naked. Lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually weight is inconsequential to me. I'd like to gain muscle, while trimming fat while setting PR's so I can look good naked. Lol
Welcome from a really old guy! Lol. Diet in check combined with a good lifting program, you will gain muscle.

rjc799

Awards
Diet I've been grasping and tracking. I'm slowly hitting the weights trying not to re-injure my old lifting troubled spots. The weight is maintaining but shifting areas. Haha

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diet I've been grasping and tracking. I'm slowly hitting the weights trying not to re-injure my old lifting troubled spots. The weight is maintaining but shifting areas. Haha
There are injury experts here on AM. They can help.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Amen to that! I started lifting with my new wife (I'm 42 she's 41) last fall and went to the spring. I aggravated an old injury by going heavy when I shouldn't have and it put me off the weights for a while. Currently we are doing a kettle bell and swimming routine that is an ass kicker. Never knew kettle bells would work you the way they do.

rjc799

Awards
I just entered the world of triathlons at the beginning of this year and have completed two. Swimming is kicking my a$$ and is harder than it looks.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just entered the world of triathlons at the beginning of this year and have completed two. Swimming is kicking my a$$ and is harder than it looks.
Tell me about it. I would like to train for a triathlon but I've never been a strong enough swimmer. I grew up with a pool and love the water but have never swam competitively. I guess that's what training is for!

rjc799

Awards
Absolutely! Started in January stopping after the first 50m in the pool, in May I finished my first Sprint Triathlon. It had a 750m open water swim.

And yes, muscle doesn't float well. Haha

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's awesome. Yeah muscle likes to go straight to the bottom!

rjc799

Awards
Before this year, I had never swam freestyle before. Determination does wonders.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No doubt. Just swimming in my 20x40 in ground pool I have to alternate between freestyle and the breast stroke to conserve energy. I prob need to go ahead and just do freestyle all the time.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Funny you guys mention muscle and sinking. I swim 3-4 days a week in the summer and it has increasingly frustrated me that I am not better, but I always feel like I am fighting it to stay bouyant. I am a better than average swimmer, but feel like I should be improved considering how much I go.

rjc799

Awards
I'm a sucky swimmer, but I'd rather be fitter and sink than be fat and float.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Makes you wonder how in the world Michael Phelps swims so well. His BF is like .5 %

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My 7 yo old doesn't have an ounce of fat on her and she is a damn fish. Consistently in the top 3 for freestyle and back in competition. Buuuut, there are some very out of shape kids that are swimming way better than you would ever imagine.

Perhaps it isn't as much body fat/muscle ratio as it is technique and swimming ability.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think you hit the nail on the head with technique.

rjc799

Awards
Well my technique is crap, that's why the only way I'd be better is to float. Lol

rjc799

Awards
Up to this point, it's been books and YouTube videos teaching me sooooo.... I can't complain about the progress I've made.

Guitaryellow

Awards
New here but figured I better hang in the appropriate age thread and gather as much knowledge as possible. My current status:

195 lbs
Fairly active, but have had neck & shoulder injuries.
Welcome, I'm waiting for physio on my shoulder, 48 and 220, never gonna stop.