Started trt yesterday, a few questions

bigead

bigead

Awards
I'm 44 and tested on the low end of range year and half ago, 337 with 301 and lower being the treatment point. My GP said I was fine with no treatment needed, but I felt symptoms like not wanting to make it through a workout, sleep patterns etc. my pr's on squat was 480lbs at the time, DL was the same. I ran a couple of td trest and ph cycles with in that year with bloods taken pre and post, proper pct. I only bounced back to 301 after the last pct.

I broached the subject with my new GP who said he would check again in few months when I was up for physical. The thing I felt all of the symptoms now, so I stopped by the local low t center and I tested at 154 TT at 3pm. Insured covered it so i took my first shot of 200 mgs test cyp. I go in every week for a shot and pay a co pay. The check metabolic panel and prostate every 3 months, but not lipids and I have high cholesterol controlled by niaspan. Not sure if I made the right decision or not.

1) How to find a Doc that is a little more engaging, plus give me a script to administer at home instead of paying a co pay every week? Not sure the low t clinic has my best interest in mind.

2) If I don't like it or have side how hard is it to come off after 4, 6, 12 months and do a restart?

3) use of other orals while on trt?Thoughts?

Thanks for the feed back

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
First, 200 msg every two weeks is old out dated protocol that will hurt you in the long run. You will come down after the first week and feel a crash. You need to inject once a week at minimum, twice a week preferred. Start with 100 mgs a week. You can split that into two doses and inject 50 mgs every 3.5 days.

Go to a compounding pharmacy in your area and ask what Dr's prescribe the most testosterone. That will give you a good start.

TRT is for life. Some have restarted that natural production by the use of Clomid. Find an endo to get help with that.

Most people on a good TRT program take DHEA, pregnenlone, vitamin D3 and an AI if needed.

I know it's tough with no insurance but if you find a good dr, self administered shots and the other orals are not too expensive in the scheme of things.

Good luck and keep us posted.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Thank you for your feed back. This place is giving me one shot every week and its covered by insurance. Im still just on the fence if i want make that life long commitment, but i believe i may have no choice. I found a urology group around my town and im going to try and get in to see them. The t clinics seem to kust want to sell t, i would like the cause diagnosis to.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Smart move on wanting to find the cause. I would suggest an endo versus a urologist. Although some on the forum have had luck with a urologist, I personally did not. Also look for an integrative medicine office. They are wonderful.

bigead

bigead

Awards
^^ Good ideas, the low T clinic I went to I believe only wants to sell more T. I had one 200 mgs test cyp shot, if I dont get any more shots should I run a short pct couple weeks of tamox or clomid? Or just leave it be and go to the endo/uro?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you can get to an endo or uro quickly I wouldn't worry about taking anything. But if it's going to be a while clomid may not be a bad idea

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The half life for the test C you injected is 8-10 days so that means you need to wait at least 16-20 days for it to clear your system. If you visit your endo now you will give a false high testosterone reading in bloodwork.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Just got back from the Urologist, he was younger than me lol. Anyhow I explained my situation to him about the low t center and shared my previous labs with him. He concluded that it was primary the testes are just making enough test to keep me on the low end. He gave me the choice of diet and lifestyle change to see if I could get it back up or to continue with trt for a few months to see if it does indeed help any of my symptoms or not. I ask if I decide to come off after 8 to 10 weeks would need clomid for a restart to which he stated no you should come back on your own. That made me suspect, but I have serm at home if I need them when I come off. He also having me do home injections which is good, but he wants me to do 200 mgs every two weeks. I asked him if 100 mgs every week is better he said no, also made me a bit suspect. At least I will have a chance to see if it does help a bit and learn to self inject.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Read this very closely....RUN AND DONT LOOK BACK! Find another dr ASAP

bigead

bigead

Awards
I hear you, but this is the third one. Not worth a try for a few months? If I inject at home I can still inject every week 100 mgs?

pracata

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hear you, but this is the third one. Not worth a try for a few months? If I inject at home I can still inject every week 100 mgs?
If you inject at home you could do 50mg every 3.5 days that would be 100mg a week.That would be good

bigead

bigead

Awards
If you inject at home you could do 50mg every 3.5 days that would be 100mg a week.That would be good
Thanks, That would work. I know it would be against this docs prescription, but i think it would give a more stable supply, I figure Id do this trt for the two months pct on my and see if my test come back to my normal low baseline. If my life does a complete turn around on the trt and I decide to stay on I will talk dosing strategy with the doc or get a new one then.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You've got to understand something about TRT. There's more to it than just injecting test and getting your levels up. You have to worry about E2 levels, DHEA, pregnenolone, vitamin E, RBC, hematocrit, thyroid and a host of other things. TRT is for life, not something you can do for a few months and stop with a PCT.

As far as injections....every 3.5 days at 50 mgs is very ideal. Most guys follow that protocol.

Find a compounding pharmacy in your area and ask what dr prescribes a lot of test. Also look for an integrative medicine office. These are more up to date on TRT protocols.

Keep us posted.

bigead

bigead

Awards
Will do, thanks again for all of the feed back. If anyone know of a good doctor in the North Austin/Round Rock area LMK please.

pracata

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You've got to understand something about TRT. There's more to it than just injecting test and getting your levels up. You have to worry about E2 levels, DHEA, pregnenolone, vitamin E, RBC, hematocrit, thyroid and a host of other things. TRT is for life, not something you can do for a few months and stop with a PCT.

As far as injections....every 3.5 days at 50 mgs is very ideal. Most guys follow that protocol.

Find a compounding pharmacy in your area and ask what dr prescribes a lot of test. Also look for an integrative medicine office. These are more up to date on TRT protocols.

Keep us posted.
We're you from or what state you stay at?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm in the Winston-Salem area. About 2 hours west of RTP

bigead

bigead

Awards
Well your right about a shot every two weeks sucking, I did my bloods yesterday, and my TT was 201. Im due for my shot tomorrow 14 days after the first one. I will be bringing my blood work and telling the doc I need shots every week or back to the clinic until i find a doc thats knows what he/her is doing.

ericaf1

ericaf1

Awards
I have been on TRT for three years now. I can confirm that the replies you have gotten so far are 100 percent accurate. Run as far away from your current doctor.... Twice a week injections.... add in some HCG. Go to Dr. Crisler's forum All things male... read and learn. Be prepared to donate some blood every three-six months as your blood with thicken in time.. As others have said you have to keep the other hormones in check. Especially E2

Sometimes TRT can be a pain in the ass, but it is well worth it.