Life changes

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
Brothers, I need inspiration. Trained hard for years, had great strength, an adequate physique, tons of energy. Now going through a divorce and I can't find the energy to train. In 4 months I've stopped training, diet gone to ****...I don't eat, have no energy or desire, body fat creeping in. My kids reside in a different state and I'm struggling. Anyone deal with a similar situation?? Trying not to be a ***** here. I know this is the anabolic section but I figured my 35+ brother would understand. I need some perspective.

j2048b

Awards
Man its not easy to drive onward when everything around u is going to ****, maybe its time to actually get a grip on the depression? It is what it is, ur depressed, ur life has been flipped upside down, u life as u knew it has changed....in my honest opinion id recommend going to a counselor and actually get some freedom from this demon so that u can focus on urself.... Its good to take some time off especially after going thru something so life changing... U have the tools to make u the best u want to be, but in ur situation one main tool id recommend is counseling to help u thru this turbulent time in ur life...

I hope any of this helps, it. May not be what ur looking for but its a step u may need in order to get back to being healthy and where u were previously

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Praying find some peace brother. Set a few short term goals? Maybe get back in the gym for starters?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Definitely get back in the gym. If there's anything I've learned in life - the quickest way into a black hole is to steer right into it. As others said - set a goal. Get back on a gradual gratifying program. Id suggest 5x5 or SL - it will give you strength back and a nice reward everytime you bump the weight. Start light - be consistent and gradual and eat. No point in torturing yourself - life is hard enough - you don't need to be your own worst enemy.

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good advice given so far. I am 18 months post divorce and it is by FAR the worst thing Ive gone through to this point in my life. My advice is very similiar to what others have sugggested, counseling helped me tremendously come to grips with me starting my life completely over at 46. My best advise is to take it one day at a time and not get caught up in what coulda or shoulda been. The divorce happened and now U have no other choice but to deal with Ur new reality, dont beat Urself up over what happened. As far as the gym goes, set very small goals that are achieveable and acknowledge them when U reach them. I really feel for what Ur going through, but just focus on today and how make today count. We are here to help !!!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is an old but true " what does not kill you makes you strong"

I went through the same thing 20 years ago and I would say my life today is better than ever! I wish the same for you.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lots of good advice given so far. I am 18 months post divorce and it is by FAR the worst thing Ive gone through to this point in my life. My advice is very similiar to what others have sugggested, counseling helped me tremendously come to grips with me starting my life completely over at 46. My best advise is to take it one day at a time and not get caught up in what coulda or shoulda been. The divorce happened and now U have no other choice but to deal with Ur new reality, dont beat Urself up over what happened. As far as the gym goes, set very small goals that are achieveable and acknowledge them when U reach them. I really feel for what Ur going through, but just focus on today and how make today count. We are here to help !!!!
This >>> one day at a time.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I just finalized my divorce a few months ago after more than 2 years of fighting. Go to the gym man. Let it be your therapy. There is no greater revenge than a life well lived. Get strong physically and the mind will follow. Put your mind into something that will make you stronger and work it hard. Keep moving forward, that's the only way. I don't mean to sound like a bunch of cliches but i've lived it man, I get it.

Chuckj1973

Chuckj1973

Awards
Thanks friends, I truly appreciate the advice you've all given. I'm going to get my ass back to the gym tomorrow, start focusing on my diet again, and try to not be discouraged when my lifts are not what I think they should be. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks again.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Living well is the best revenge!!

DB1219

Awards
I realize what you are going through is far worse, but I manage seasonal affective disorder (SAD) through exercise and nutrition. My advice is to not beat yourself up if the workouts are not perfect or as intense as the past. Just get there, listen to some good tunes and enjoy yourself. The progress will come mentally and physically. Good luck.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I realize what you are going through is far worse, but I manage seasonal affective disorder (SAD) through exercise and nutrition. My advice is to not beat yourself up if the workouts are not perfect or as intense as the past. Just get there, listen to some good tunes and enjoy yourself. The progress will come mentally and physically. Good luck.
enjoy yourself. The progress will come mentally and physically

This is the important part !

lly

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Heavy metal, heavy weights. Crank the tunes loud and throw some heavy a5s weight around. You'll feel 100% better when you're done. Trust me, it's better than therapy or anti-depressants.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Brothers, I need inspiration. Trained hard for years, had great strength, an adequate physique, tons of energy. Now going through a divorce and I can't find the energy to train. In 4 months I've stopped training, diet gone to ****...I don't eat, have no energy or desire, body fat creeping in. My kids reside in a different state and I'm struggling. Anyone deal with a similar situation?? Trying not to be a ***** here. I know this is the anabolic section but I figured my 35+ brother would understand. I need some perspective.
I was there a few years ago. Divorce messed me up to include physical illness, no energy and mental turmoil. Thought I was dying. It was working out and a full blood/hormone panel check which informed what vits/minerals/hormones were needed to bring me back to the outstanding health and energy I had before marriage went sour. What made me last through the worse was knowing that I had to stay around for those who depended on me or would miss me if I were gone.

Things to do:
Track your food. Myfitnesspal or similar. Get your diet back on track.
Start a training program. Get your health back.
Meet people. Break the old routine.
Go to Church if you believe in God. Spiritual help
Eventually you will meet a woman and the bad times will be a memory that made you wiser.

dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez

Awards
Short term goals are the key. Start lifting again, maybe only start with monday,weds,fri. Just to get back into it. For me when I have had gym layoffs in the past all it takes is a few days back in the gym to get my motivation back.