I'm getting old! Possible hormone or vascular issue?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've got to address it, and what finer forum than AM!

I am getting old, yup, can't deny it. I am 38 now. And my lifestyle isn't as healthy as it once was.

I have an appointment with a general physician (I have not had checkups, except for those mandated by work, in years) but in the meantime I am exploring the questions on my mind.

My job is now pretty sedentary as I've been promoted, and very very stressful. I work with great people but the upper management and atmosphere makes it difficult. I get maybe one 45-minute exercise session every ten days or so. I take all kinds of supps, mainly your basic nutritional supps, as I always have. I have put on weight in my midsection like never before in my life. I know that had to do with less exercise and often eating badly at work. I've cleaned up my diet a lot lately, that was actually easy.

What worries me the most are sexual problems. I often have a hard time getting a rock-hard erection these days. It is sudden and has happened in the last few weeks or so. It's so bad that I haven't had sex with my live-in fiancee for a few weeks. My mind is there, but my body isn't. I can get fairly hard, but not like I am used to. Mentally I am ready to go like I always have been...physically it's not the same. I've tried fantasizing and concentrating, but that doesn't help. I feel bad about trying to fantasize, but I just want to make things happen. My fiancee is a stunning woman, nearly six feet tall with a killer body, but even that doesn't seem to do it anymore.

One thing that my fiancee pointed out is that since I changed shifts in October, I am taking almost no stims compared to what I used to. And all of the ones I took had some form of yohimbe in them. I am not sure if that could play a role...was I actually having hormonal or vascular problems for a while, that were covered up because yohimbe made it easy for me to get hard? I do not know.

Hormonally, that is the only thing that bothers me, but I have been losing my hair much faster than before during the last three years. I try to fight it with topical minoxidil and azelaic acid, and that seems to help a little. I realize the role DHT plays and I wonder what that could signal about the rest of my body.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Man, go see a doctor/your doctor! Any compassionate doctor will help you out. Make sure you tell them about your personal life and how it's effecting your love life. Keep us all posted on your progress and best of luck!

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I am getting old, yup, can't deny it. I am 38 now. And my lifestyle isn't as healthy as it once was.

I have an appointment with a general physician (I have not had checkups, except for those mandated by work, in years) but in the meantime I am exploring the questions on my mind.

My job is now pretty sedentary as I've been promoted, and very very stressful. I work with great people but the upper management and atmosphere makes it difficult. I get maybe one 45-minute exercise session every ten days or so. I take all kinds of supps, mainly your basic nutritional supps, as I always have. I have put on weight in my midsection like never before in my life. I know that had to do with less exercise and often eating badly at work. I've cleaned up my diet a lot lately, that was actually easy.

What worries me the most are sexual problems. I often have a hard time getting a rock-hard erection these days. It is sudden and has happened in the last few weeks or so. It's so bad that I haven't had sex with my live-in fiancee for a few weeks. My mind is there, but my body isn't. I can get fairly hard, but not like I am used to. Mentally I am ready to go like I always have been...physically it's not the same. I've tried fantasizing and concentrating, but that doesn't help. I feel bad about trying to fantasize, but I just want to make things happen. My fiancee is a stunning woman, nearly six feet tall with a killer body, but even that doesn't seem to do it anymore.

One thing that my fiancee pointed out is that since I changed shifts in October, I am taking almost no stims compared to what I used to. And all of the ones I took had some form of yohimbe in them. I am not sure if that could play a role...was I actually having hormonal or vascular problems for a while, that were covered up because yohimbe made it easy for me to get hard? I do not know.

Hormonally, that is the only thing that bothers me, but I have been losing my hair much faster than before during the last three years. I try to fight it with topical minoxidil and azelaic acid, and that seems to help a little. I realize the role DHT plays and I wonder what that could signal about the rest of my body.

Go see a doctor and tell him all of this. Insist on getting a complete bloodwork panel.

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
Yeah you need blood work, dht inhibitors can cause ED honestly I don't remember if the topical ones are included in that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good that you are starting with your doctor and getting full blood work. Stress over time, as I am sure you know, is a prime contributor to increased cortisol which can directly affect ED and increased belly fat. Make sure you get that checked on your hormone panel.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for reading this! I am going in Friday morning for a battery of tests and whatnot.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Went to the doc today, he thinks a lot of this is my sudden negative change in diet and exercise, compounded by stress. I am really going to clean up my diet and get back in the gym at least three times a week. He also taught me some simple breathing techniques to calm down. Blood work is in progress, won't know about those results until it's done.

Thanks to all who read this!

made2last

Awards

Yohimbe definitely helps with the cack lol

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I suspect your doc is right. If you can squeeze in 2-3 sessions a weeks that might help more than 1 every 10 days.

Also, a DHT blocker might work for the hair loss, but could really exaggerate the ED too. I've been studying a metabolite of Vitamin C called Threonic acid, which is shown to be a natural DKK1 inhibitor and thus potentially therapeutic for androgenic alopecia. It may be worth a try to up your Vitamin C intake and see if that helps with the hair, then you wouldn't need the DHT inhibitor which could complicate things even more.