New to this.......

newoldguy

Awards
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and new to working out. I am in my late 30's and have always been out of shape. No matter what I did, dieting, exercising, whatever I could never get anywhere. I always ended giving up and now here I am still in poor condition. I recently found out that I have the T level of a dead man so the doc put me on T therapy. I get injections twice a week and they have brought my levels up to normal. I for once in my life started to actually see a difference in things when I lift weights. I for once am positive but now I want more. I have been looking around and this site and so many others have so much info its over whelming. I am about 40lbs over weight and need to pack on muscle quickly. I know this sounds bad but I can only bench about 125. That's a 25 lbs increase for me since the T therapy. I see all these different products and stacks and just have no idea where to start. I am not looking to become a body builder but I do want to transform my body. I want to loose 40lbs and be able to at least lift my own weight. So can anyone start me in the right direction? I have a friend who recommended a few companies and when I searched reviews for these companies they were so mixed. About half said their products worked and the other half said they were crap. I found other companies that were recommended but when I searched them I found the same type of reviews. Serms, sarms, AI, all this stuff blows my mind. If anyone cares to start me with some ideas or at least a place to look I would appreciate it. I will continue searching for answers. Thanks!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You mention serms and sarms but if you are getting back in the game with normalized hormones I would not ho messing with them.

#1 would be creatine, as for other products:

For bettering your physique I would suggest Anabeta Elite

http://orbitnutrition.com/cart/pes-anabeta-elite.html

To help cut I and many here have had success with Alphamine or Norcodrene, if you have access to it ECA is always a good option

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
newoldguy,

Does the doctor or you have any idea of why such low T in you? How high was you estrogen? Diabetic?

Driven's advice to take Anabeta seems solid even though he is a rep. I like the idea of Forskolin and an anti-estrogen for you. The cAMP from Forskolin is quite effective for anabolic driven weight loss, focus, and actually mental sharpness with improved memory. Also an anti-estrogen that is non-script is a good idea..

Yet Forskolin is a very strong herb that some small precautions need to be taken with, and there are a couple of other herbs you should avoid while taking it. These are called PDE4 inhibitors, and specifically quercietin and artichoke extract as they will make the Forskolin too strong. Don't worry the combination won't kill anyone or cause permanent damage, but they could cause headaches and a lack of mental sharpness during the time they are combined with Forskolin.

Overall though Anabeta-elite seems an ideal supplement for you right now.

Roy

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards

newoldguy

Awards
Thanks everyone for the advice. To answer the question regarding why my T level was low (105) no we didn't discuss why. I am do back soon for blood work again and I will ask more questions. As far as my plan now is I found a 12 week program off of a well known site that I am starting tomorrow. I plan to change my diet to breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks. Sticking with fish and chicken, egg whites, veggies, brown rice, baked potatoes. I have chosen the following supplements to take:
BCAAs
CLA
Taurine
Glutamine
AKG
Omegas
Testosterone
Creatine Monohydrate
Aminos
pre and post workout

these all seem like a lot to me so if anyone thinks I am overdoing it let me know. A friend also recommended Clen to help shed fat.

I will look into the recommended supplements.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
Make sure the fish you eat is wild caught and the chicken you eat is organic (no hormones or antibiotics), if possible. The amount of estrogen fed to regular chickens is unbelievable. Farmed fish are fed petroleum based nutrients. When they feed chicken byproducts to male pigs they grow breasts..

There is one trick you can do to eat regular chicken, and that is just eat the lean breast meat without any skin as the vast majority of any hormones in meat is transferred to you though the meat fats. If something is 98% lean, you get very little estrogen from that.

Clen is for muscular fat people and not you, it will tend to make you catabolic. Forskolin as mentioned above will improve weight loss with an anabolic outcome.

Roy

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
When you go back to your dr. Ask more questions and get a copy of your blood work.

In regards as to what to take, get a good multi, creatine, extra vc, a pre workout if you have motivation issues and a good protein powder. Dont waste your money on 50 million things. Get some good staple supps and work on diet and training. Then experiment with adding things down the road. No need to add clen or other hormones.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Since you're just starting out, keep things simple. Supplements are one of the last things you need to worry about at this point aside from maybe a good multi-vitamin, some fish oil, and some protein powder to get enough protein in throughout the day. Creatine monohydrate is good too and you could add that in now. Save the rest of your money for good food.

Get your diet in check first, which it sounds like you have a good start on. Although a few things of note:

1. Just eat the whole egg. Don't throw out the yolk, as thats where all the nutrients are. The whole "yolk being bad for you" thing is BS.

2. I would add some grass-fed red meat as well. Very good for you (and tasty).

3. Aim for 1g per pound of bodyweight in protein and roughly 1.5g per pound of bodyweight in carbs. Up carbs on training days and you can cut back a little on rest days.

I also second what tuber man said - try to make sure your fish is wild caught and your chicken and eggs are pastured along with the red meat being grass fed. If you do some research, you can find some local farms who raise their own livestock and do things the right way. It can be very affordable too. Check out eatwild.com for a start.

Next, follow a good strength training program. I recommend 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler personally: http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

I've tried a ton of programs and that one is by far what I saw the best results with.

Right now, just worry about packing on muscle and getting stronger. The fat loss will happen along with it since you're so new to training. You can do a cut down the road once you have a solid strength and muscle base.

Stick with it and you will see results. Just be patient.

Hope that helps.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think 5/3/1 is a lil advanced for someone just getting into the swing of things but other then that great advive, 2 thumbs up!

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I think 5/3/1 is a lil advanced for someone just getting into the swing of things but other then that great advive, 2 thumbs up!
It's a tough program, no doubt. But I also like it's simplicity and think that since you're really only utilizing a handful of lifts, it could benefit a beginner so that they can really focus on mastering those lifts.

The difficult part I suppose would be finding his maxes since the program is based all on percentages of your max.

Advanced GVT is another solid, simple program that could work too and there's no calculating of maxes required. OP will just have to feel it out until he finds the right load for the amount of reps: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/advanced_german_volume_training

bmanstrong

Awards
Hey newoldguy,

Welcome, glad to have you. My advice to you: take it slow. Keep learning as much as you can. Don't be in a hurry. You said that you want to put on muscle fast. Muscle takes time like everything else. Here's the good news: you already found the root of the problem and the cure: testosterone! I am in my late 30's also and I'm on testosterone for life too. You know the feeling when you first when on right? Increased appetite, libido and mood? Now just get your diet and exercise in order. If you want to lose 40 pounds then do mostly cardio. When you get down to your desired weight then you can hit the weights more. Also have your doctor check your thyroid. With proper thyroid function you should be able to lose weight much easier. Think about it, while every other "natural" guy will be declining with age, you and I will be maintaining and increasing. Time is now on your side. By the way, late 30's is not old. :).

factsmachine

Banned
Awards
Welcome to the site, man.
First thing I'd like to say is congratulations on making the choices to start your better lifestyle. With that being said, there are a few things I'd like to address:
Your blood work. Can you post it? Did you get a CBC, metabolic panel, and thyroid to go along with your Testosterone labs?
Your Estradiol is likely very high because you're overweight and now you're on T therapy. Adding testosterone will increase your Estradiol. So talk to your doctor about this immediately because high E2 has many bad physical/mental effects. Ask about blood work, a male sensitive essay for Estradiol. Then ask about a generic low cost Aromatase Inhibitor, such as anastrozole.
If your doctor is reluctant to be open with you, then I reccomend Formeron or TransFORM.. it appears they're both sold out wherever you look.
instead, you could use a research peptide vendor for your AI. Such as anastrozole, exemestane I reccomend. Then look up dosing for these.

newoldguy

Awards
I know I said "fast" but I guess what I mean is I know muscle burns fat so I want to increase muscle to assist in fat burning. Yes, I have had my thyroid checked because I have every symptom of it not working properly. I have had it checked multiple times over the years by different docs and am always told I am within "normal" range. My question is could the "normal" range not be "normal" for me? I am trying to work on cardio but I have been fighting a hip issue since late last summer. I have exhausted all the things the orthopedic surgeon wants to try now I will be having an MRI to see what if anything else could be causing it. I was originally diagnose with bursitis. I have been riding a stationary bike because it doesn't cause me as much pain and walking or jogging. Yes I remember my first treatment of T. I felt like I was 16 again but it has subsided a little I guess because I am getting used to it.

factsmachine

Banned
Awards
Are you on any supplemental drugs with your T therapy? If your estrogen is not being controlled, that would explain why you are not feeling the benefits of it so much anymore.
The body is very complex, and you'd have to be more specific when you say you have every symptom of thyroid problems. It could be insulin resistence, or other things as well.

newoldguy

Awards
As far as my blood work goes I go back next week to get it done. I will get a copy and post some info then. I was concerned about estrogen increase but the doc told me I didn't need to be with what I he prescribed. Maybe its a low level. I don't have the dosage in front of my as I am at work but I take a shot every two weeks. I will get more answers next week for sure.

factsmachine

Banned
Awards
I see some alarms that your doctor doesn't know what he's doing with T therapy..
He wasn't concerned with your estrogen levels. Did he give you any pills, or anything to take? What medications are you on?
And 200mg every 2 weeks is what my doctor prescibed. However, what happens with this is a big spike in testosterone the days after that put you above normal levels for a few days, then below normal the second week. I split mine up into 2 50mg injections a week to stop peaks and troughs.

I also reccomend you backfill insulin syringes to inject your T. Because constant intramuscular injections with high gague needles like what my doctor gave me, can cause damage.

Don't feel bad, many doctors are not up to par with TRT yet. Neither is mine. You just do reading and follow guidelines that work for you.

newoldguy

Awards
I am always tired, never have any energy and can't loose weight. I am also very cold sensitive, have dry skin, joint and muscle pains. All these are possible symptoms. I had my metabolism checked once by a dietician she had me breath threw a machine for like 10 mins and it was supposed to calculate it. She said my metabolism was very low.

newoldguy

Awards
Yes, that's my dose. 200mg now that you mention it. No I wasn't given anything else just the shots to take. I suppose its possible he doesn't know what he is doing. I am guessing I may need to see an endocrinologist to get to the bottom of things.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I am always tired, never have any energy and can't loose weight. I am also very cold sensitive, have dry skin, joint and muscle pains. All these are possible symptoms. I had my metabolism checked once by a dietician she had me breath threw a machine for like 10 mins and it was supposed to calculate it. She said my metabolism was very low.
The symptoms sound like they could potentially be thyroid related. I know your tests said you're within the "normal" range, but there's a lot of people who are normal as far as tests go, but that in reality have an underactive thyroid and respond well to thyroid medication.

Try taking your temperature every day in the morning underneath your arm for 3-5 days and see if it's consistently below 97.6. If it's a good amount below that consistently, it could indicate your basal metabolic rate is also low, which could be another clue to the thyroid.

I've been doing some reading on the thyroid recently and one of the doctors uses that as one of his tests if the lab results say they are fine but are still experiencing symptoms. He also checks for a delayed achilles tendon reflex, but that would be hard to do on your own so you'd need a doc to check that.

Also, like others have mentioned, try to find a good endocrinologist. Don't just take a referral from your doctor. Go online on ZocDoc or something like that and read reviews from real patients to find one you like. Real reviews will help you pick one much better than just trusting where ever your primary doc sends you.

bmanstrong

Awards
Your lucky your doctor even prescribed testosterone, so many don't want to because of the governmental controls. Then when they do they don't know half what they are doing. It's hard to believe that the bodybuilding community knows more about these drugs than the doctors do. I would like to believe that the doctors are the knowledgeable ones who don't listen to media hyp, but it's not true. I read an article recently that said that now doctors are going to be using PCT after prescribing steroids to sick patients. The bodybuilding community had been doing that for decades. I'm on once a week injections and always feel level, twice a week might be to much for you at this point. I use a 25 gauge needle. My doctor wanted me to use 23 but I told him no. Doctors don't like to be told things from their patients. At least yours is covered by insurance like mine. If you can find an anti aging doctor that might be better but insurance might not cover it. Check it out. Your thyroid could be in normal range but lower normal so your doctor still might not want to mess with it. Most doctors are for treating things NOT optimizing your health. You have to be very sick for them to treat you. Anti aging doctors are more about optimizing. If you are happy with your doctor fine. But in the end you are the customer. You are in charge. Shop around until you get what you want. It took me walking out of many doctors offices to get what I want.

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone for the advice. To answer the question regarding why my T level was low (105) no we didn't discuss why. I am do back soon for blood work again and I will ask more questions. As far as my plan now is I found a 12 week program off of a well known site that I am starting tomorrow. I plan to change my diet to breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks. Sticking with fish and chicken, egg whites, veggies, brown rice, baked potatoes. I have chosen the following supplements to take:
BCAAs
CLA
Taurine
Glutamine
AKG
Omegas
Testosterone
Creatine Monohydrate
Aminos
pre and post workout

these all seem like a lot to me so if anyone thinks I am overdoing it let me know. A friend also recommended Clen to help shed fat.

I will look into the recommended supplements.
Don't take clen... there's plenty of ways to burn fat and hop up your metabolism without clen... you won't sleep well and it'll take away appetite... you need to eat. PLENTY OF CLA... whey protein instead of all the amino acids. A good multi vit. A zinc supplement and B complex. If you want to burn more fat just use some caffeine not clen.. do cardio first thing in morning BEFORE your meal.. 30 minutes. You'll burn more fat for the energy used... if not then always do cardio after weights and/or fasted. Meaning atleast several hours after a meal..

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the site, man.
First thing I'd like to say is congratulations on making the choices to start your better lifestyle. With that being said, there are a few things I'd like to address:
Your blood work. Can you post it? Did you get a CBC, metabolic panel, and thyroid to go along with your Testosterone labs?
Your Estradiol is likely very high because you're overweight and now you're on T therapy. Adding testosterone will increase your Estradiol. So talk to your doctor about this immediately because high E2 has many bad physical/mental effects. Ask about blood work, a male sensitive essay for Estradiol. Then ask about a generic low cost Aromatase Inhibitor, such as anastrozole.
If your doctor is reluctant to be open with you, then I reccomend Formeron or TransFORM.. it appears they're both sold out wherever you look.
instead, you could use a research peptide vendor for your AI. Such as anastrozole, exemestane I reccomend. Then look up dosing for these.
Well no wonder he got banned...

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
The lower your body fat gets the more you can cut back on cardio but really push your workouts hard... shorten rest between sets (as much as possible).. and yes don't be impatient. Learn as much as you can and work as hard as you can.

newoldguy

Awards
Here is the routine I found but so far I don't feel like I am getting enough. This is supposed to be a 12 week workout to transform the body. I am going to post week #1. Tell me what you guys think.

Day#1 Back/Biceps
Bent over dumbbell row - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure
Underhand Pull-up - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure
Standing barbell curl - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure
Alternate dumbbell curl - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure

Day#2 Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Bench press (same sets as above)
Incline flyes
Seated dumbbell press
Dumbbell side laterals
Triceps extension
Bench dips

Day#3 Cardio

Day#4 Legs/Abs
Squats (same reps as day #1)
Dumbbell lunges
Leg curls
Straight leg barbell deadlift
Seated calf raise
Standing calf raise
Crunches
Lying leg raises

Day#5 Back/Biceps
Underhand pull-up (same sets as day #1)
Bent over dumbbell row
Hyperextensions
Concentration curls
Preacher curls

Day#6 Cardio

Day#7 Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Incline barbell bench press (same reps as day# 1)
Pec dec
Dumbbell side laterals
Seated dumbbell press
Triceps pushdown
Lying barbell triceps

So far it doesn't take me long to do these each day. Should I add more? Slow down? Or change this routine all together? Cardio days I shoot for 30-45 mins.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like a pretty balanced routine. I'd say go for it. If you are totally new to working out then cut the number of sets and reps in half to see how you feel and if you are able to finish the routine. Remember that this is not a race, it's a marathon. Start a log in the training log section here. It will hold yourself accountable and give others a chance to offer advice. Good luck.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
newooldguy,

JX is correct about a couple of things, first egg yokes, as they contain both cholesterol and sulfates as well as other great nutrition. You need cholesterol in your diet. Yes the liver can make it, but it is a long, energy inefficient process taking many steps. The liver is usually overloaded with too many things to do . The sulfur in yokes is the yellow part, and organic sulfur is possibly the second most deficient mineral after magnesium. There is decent evidence that organic sulfur prevents cholesterol from oxidizing, and it is oxidized cholesterol that is the problem and not cholesterol itself. Sulfates too, in the SO4-2 form, may be the best oxygen transport molecule the body has and that will get more oxygen to the cells and mitochondria. More oxygen to cells and mitochondria means more ATP, and more ATP means more energy. Egg yokes help to build strength and muscle even better than the whites, as the cholesterol (a high level nutrient steroid) and the sulfur have many, many extra advantages besides the protein also in yokes.

Second, he also mentioned Thyroid problems, but unknown to even people smart about the Thyroid problems, this usually comes with Adrenal Fatigue too. And although T3 will help, it is usually best to tackle the Adrenal Fatigue first. Unfortunately, the paint-by-numbers blood tests will not show either of these. The blood test for Thyroid is for T4 levels and 80 -85% of the people with Thyroid problems have T4 within range, and if it is low normal often giving extra T4 will not help -- iodine and T3 are the real answers. The Adrenal blood tests were designed for Addison's Disease and you have to be a couple steps from deaths door before this idiot test will show Adrenal problems. The symptoms you described are likely along the whole HPA axis.

In the long haul cholesterol sulfate will help the HPA problems, but you need shorter term solutions too. BTW, the best veggies are all sulfurous veggies, such as kale, spinach, broccoli, onions, cauliflower, cabbage, and garlic, and this is no surprise.

Roy

bmanstrong

Awards
Okay first, if you don't feel like you are getting enough, it could be because it is the first week. Does the program change or progress over the 12 weeks? Since you want to do body fat, I would do additional cardio on days #1,2,4 and 5. The testosterone you are on will preserve your muscle and even build some while you drop fat. The testosterone will make sure the weight you drop is right kind. But get your estrogen in check as stated earlier. High estrogen levels in men lead to water weight, fat gain and feeling bloated. At 40 pounds overweight your body will convert testosterone quickly into estrogen. Lastly, if you are dedicated over the next 12 weeks you can make some serious changes. Stay with it, most importantly have fun. Don't let it costume every area of your life. .

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
Here is the routine I found but so far I don't feel like I am getting enough. This is supposed to be a 12 week workout to transform the body. I am going to post week #1. Tell me what you guys think.

Day#1 Back/Biceps
Bent over dumbbell row - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure
Underhand Pull-up - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure
Standing barbell curl - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure
Alternate dumbbell curl - 2 sets of 10-12 1 set to failure

Day#2 Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Bench press (same sets as above)
Incline flyes
Seated dumbbell press
Dumbbell side laterals
Triceps extension
Bench dips

Day#3 Cardio

Day#4 Legs/Abs
Squats (same reps as day #1)
Dumbbell lunges
Leg curls
Straight leg barbell deadlift
Seated calf raise
Standing calf raise
Crunches
Lying leg raises

Day#5 Back/Biceps
Underhand pull-up (same sets as day #1)
Bent over dumbbell row
Hyperextensions
Concentration curls
Preacher curls

Day#6 Cardio

Day#7 Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Incline barbell bench press (same reps as day# 1)
Pec dec
Dumbbell side laterals
Seated dumbbell press
Triceps pushdown
Lying barbell triceps

So far it doesn't take me long to do these each day. Should I add more? Slow down? Or change this routine all together? Cardio days I shoot for 30-45 mins.
First adjustment would be to add another back exercise. It's actually the biggest muscle group on upper body and needs to be treated like so.. more workload than chest.. maybe a rear delt exercise on back day and a pullover movement as a isolation movement for back.. Shrugs? Or even deadlifts.. A combination of mostly compound(multi joint like presses, rows and pulls) and some iso movements(flys, laterals, extensions and curls) is a good way to go.
And do all work sets to failure. 1-2 warmup sets and then bust a gut.. you really should only need one good set to failure. Not too much forced reps etc, going beyond failure... looks like you got a good start and lots of good advice. Have fun and enjoy it..

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
newoldguy,

I expect the testosterone you are being given will help some or possibly a lot in the short-run, but it will not get to the root of your problems. Adding an anti-estrogen will help a little more, but still not solve your energy problems. To quote you again,"I am also very cold sensitive, have dry skin, joint and muscle pains. All these are possible symptoms." Those are all direct symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue and Thyroid problems, and the Adrenal Fatigue is the most critical.

The reason I'm telling you this is, if the testosterone even with an added anti-estrogen stops being very effective after a bit, and/or bad symptoms increase in spite of the testosterone usage, I don't want you to give up. Good hormone levels and exercise are excellent, but other things can keep them from being fully effective. Remember this and check out the stuff on Adrenal Exhaustion on YouTube as a next step rather than just thinking that "nothing helps."

Roy

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I would give yourself a day or 2 of rest somewhere in your routine. You make progress outside of the gym while you're eating, sleeping, and resting. 7 days a week is a bit overkill IMO and you may burn yourself out.

Then again, I don't know what you're considering cardio. If it's just going for a walk, obviously that's fine, and even encouraged since it's low intensity and will serve as active recovery. If it's higher intensity cardio, it will take it's toll since you're also lifting 5 days a week.

What I would recommend is hitting the weights 4x per week - 2 upper days and 2 lower days. Then at most, 1 higher intensity cardio day per week and 1 lower intensity day (walking). Then take 1 day to sit on your ass and relax, take a nap, eat, etc.

The day of rest will do a lot for you both mentally and physically.

tuberman

Awards
  • Established
One more thing, do the isolation exercises after the stuff like deads, benches, rowing, and squats, as the whole muscle group exercises are much more important than isolation exercises for arms. The isolation exercises often take up way too much time and people, especially newbies, are given way too much encouragement by friends in these areas. The real stuff trains whole muscle groups at once so do them while you are fresh.

bmanstrong

Awards
Oldnewguy,
I think this article should really help your goals. I know that not everyone believes in these different body types but the information is solid.

**********************/articles/endomorph-bodybuilding-workout-diet-results

newoldguy

Awards
Just wanted to check back in. So far I am sticking with everything. I did cheat a little and had some red meat this past weekend with vegetables. Other than that its been chicken and fish with veggies. I know a lot of you suggested not over doing the supplements but I had already order some and don't want them to go to waste. So here is what a day for me looks like.

Morning:
(3) Super AKG
(1) Tribu Test
(1) Omega 1250
(2) CLA
(1) Mega Taurine

Pre Workout:
(3) Aminodrol
(4) Mega BCAA
(1) Tribu Test
Pre work out drink with Creatine

Post Workout:
(4) Mega BCAA
(3) Aminodrol
(6) Mega Glutamine
Post Workout drink with creatine

Lunch:
(2) CLA
(3) Super AKG
(1) Mega Taurine

Dinner:
(1) Vitamin D
(1) Flaxseed
(2) Glucosamine Chondroitin

Bedtime:
(6) Mega Glutamine
(1) Omega 1250
(1) Tribu Test

Takes a lot of work to get all those down. My doc apt is this week to have my blood drawn. I will post the results once I get them. Also, I switched my work out. I am on the second week of a different program given to me by a buddy. I can already tell a big difference. There is more exercises and each set has me increasing the weight. There are also drop sets on some of the days. I am starting week 2 of this and I am actually excited and motivated for once. Its a 90 day program and is geared more towards muscle building rather than becoming lean.

newoldguy

Awards
Why is red meat considered "cheating"?

Because it was my goal to not eat any for the next three months. But sometimes a steak just sounds good.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You do know that red meat will help raise your test and build more muscle? Male hormones are made from cholesterol.

bmanstrong

Awards
Lean red meats, like sirloin steak, are filled with natural creatine. Did you know that? I love me a big medium cooked steak for dinner , after a hard gym session.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Why is red meat considered "cheating"?

Because it was my goal to not eat any for the next three months. But sometimes a steak just sounds good.
But why is that your goal? That's like saying "my goal for the next 3 months is to not drink any water."

It makes absolutely no sense and is counter-productive.

newoldguy

Awards
Finally have some blood results....... Test came in at 666 and est. level at 40. According to the doc they are both within normal range. However, after explaining to him my recent lifestyle change he upped my dosage of T so I could get to the higher end of normal. He also prescribed an estrogen blocker to get that level to the lower end. This all took longer than I expected do to the doctor's office not doing the right tests, having to get a second blood test, and the doctor taking forever.

I am still taking my supplements and working out. The soreness is finally gone and I am seeing results both by looking in the mirror and just the amount of weight I can lift. Seeing results makes me want to keep going. One thing I have noticed is I am always hungry. Right after working out I am starved and get wait to eat. Then about two hours later I am hungry again and again and again. Its like I cant get enough to eat. It has been almost two months now of working out about 6 days a week and I have gained 15 lbs. Any comments? Am I doing something wrong? Not working out enough? Eating to much? When I started this I wanted to trim down and pack on muscle. So far seems like I am getting bigger.

As far as the last few replies regarding red meat I was not aware of the benefits. I started eating it again trying to stick with lean cuts like sirloin, strip or filet.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Finally have some blood results....... Test came in at 666 and est. level at 40. According to the doc they are both within normal range. However, after explaining to him my recent lifestyle change he upped my dosage of T so I could get to the higher end of normal. He also prescribed an estrogen blocker to get that level to the lower end. This all took longer than I expected do to the doctor's office not doing the right tests, having to get a second blood test, and the doctor taking forever.

I am still taking my supplements and working out. The soreness is finally gone and I am seeing results both by looking in the mirror and just the amount of weight I can lift. Seeing results makes me want to keep going. One thing I have noticed is I am always hungry. Right after working out I am starved and get wait to eat. Then about two hours later I am hungry again and again and again. Its like I cant get enough to eat. It has been almost two months now of working out about 6 days a week and I have gained 15 lbs. Any comments? Am I doing something wrong? Not working out enough? Eating to much? When I started this I wanted to trim down and pack on muscle. So far seems like I am getting bigger.

As far as the last few replies regarding red meat I was not aware of the benefits. I started eating it again trying to stick with lean cuts like sirloin, strip or filet.
I would guess your ravaging hunger is due to the fact you're on testosterone and working out.

I want what you're on haha.

Have you been tracking your food intake at all? How many calories are you getting per day and what is your macro breakdown on average?

If you're still always hungry, it's your body telling you that you need more food.

Also I can't remember if you posted this already, but what is your current height, weight, and bodyfat %?

newoldguy

Awards
I am 5'11 and weighed in this morning at 258lbs. I don't have my current body fat but last year it was like 38%. No I am not tracking my calories I guess I should start that.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I am 5'11 and weighed in this morning at 258lbs. I don't have my current body fat but last year it was like 38%. No I am not tracking my calories I guess I should start that.
Yeah definitely start tracking, at least so you have a general idea. You don't have to get so obsessive that you're weighing everything that goes in your mouth, but it's good to know approximately where you're at so you know how to adjust.

Since you have a good amount of fat to lose, maybe try a lower, cyclical carb approach for a while so you can get down to a healthier body fat percentage.

Keep protein higher on all days (200g or so), and then on lifting days go a little higher in carbs (try 150-200 to start) and on off days drop carbs much lower (75g or under). Have fats make up the rest.

Those aren't hard numbers but just more of a general place to start and you can tweak it depending on how it's going.

I think at this point getting your health in order by losing body fat is more important in the grand scheme than packing on tons of muscle. However, since you're in the beginning stages, you shouldn't have any issues gaining muscle while losing fat for now.

Yolked

Awards
  • Established

Just keep meals small as possible within your required macros... at least 200g protein a day and adjust carbs to activity level. How's your body fat levels reacting? Make sure you're getting PLENTY or essential fatty acids. Omegas and CLA - ESPECIALLY!! Will help trim some BF as well. Eat fat to lose fat... You should always be getting some soreness and if not then you need to change the workout. Some guys won't do the same workout consecutively always "confusing" the muscles so they don't adapt to the same workout after decades of lifting... For most guys starting out, I'd stick with a workout for maybe 4 weeks- letting the body adapt and get bigger and stronger.. and then change it up.