High Reps

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Just posted in the supp section for ideas on supps to help for high rep work.

I'm at that point in my training now where i need to do this.

After 31 years of training my body just doesn't like heavy weights any more but my enthusiasm is still peaking at 110%. So i'm wondering if anyone was/is in the same boat and how they handled the transition?

Usual for me is 8-12 for upper body and 12-15 for legs and was going to increase to 15-20 and 25-35 respectively. Probably go higher in the future but that's where i am at the moment.

Looking forward to some good discussion, and motivation, as my passion is and always has been HEAVY weights.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 56 years old and have been training for 30+ years, so I have been there I now train fairly light and in the 12-20 rep range, I am not as strong as I once was but I still love training and people half my age tell me they would love to be in the shape I am. Feels pretty good!

ironpendog

ironpendog

Awards
For years I lifted HEavy , once you have a good base I really don't think it's necessary to maintain mass. I go higher reps now and my joints love me for it. I concentrate more on the tempo of my reps and usually stick in the 10 to 20 rep range.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
40 yo and my body and joints hate high reps. There isn't any reason someone cannot still lift heavy despite age, but it is like always- highly dependent on goals. Dad is still benching 300 and leg presses 900 at 74.

In any case, if that is the direction you are heading, then by all means keep after it!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
40 yo and my body and joints hate high reps. There isn't any reason someone cannot still lift heavy despite age, but it is like always- highly dependent on goals. Dad is still benching 300 and leg presses 900 at 74.

In any case, if that is the direction you are heading, then by all means keep after it!
There isn't any reason someone cannot still lift heavy despite age

I would say I'm in need of a Knee Replacement would be a good reason!

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
During my years i have injured EVERYTHING as strength and moving a lot of weight was my main goal, not bodybuilding.

Then i joined a bodybuilding gym and changed my tune a bit towards exercise variety but still trained heavy as that was still my passion.

Last year i was just training what didn't hurt so it was a very short routine. In the end i just stopped and mucked around with some small dumbells i had bought for my wife.

Just got back into it a month or so ago and very few injuries. All are feeling good but i have lost a lot of confidence with the heavy stuff so i'm going to bite the bullet and listen to my body. That's the advice i would personally give to someone if they had the same issues.

I'm just really struggling with the extra reps but the pump and burn is something i like a lot so i'm going to persist hence the post.

I just wanted to know if anyone going through a similiar thing to help keep me motivated. It's like changing religions. You've lived your whole life one way and then realise it's wrong for you. Hard to get my head around.

I cut way back on food and supps and started Intermittent Fasting which really agrees with me. I dropped all the joint supps as they were not doing anything but started using Curcmuin, which was recommended by a friend, and that started working in a week.

Thank you all for you comments.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What really helps me endurance wise and would translate into extra strength at the end for the reps:

nitrates (specifically potassium nitrate) or NO3.
Follidrone
creatine mono

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
nitrates and follidrone will work but i would have to skip the creatine, tears my insides up. Talk about clearing a room...

Yolked

Awards
  • Established

Yeah. It's called arthritic joints... when cartilage wears out and it's just bone on bone... While you sleep the bones try to infuse and grow together. Then when you wake up it breaks into microscopic bone chips... happens when you get old.. obviously not everyone has same degree but lifting heavy doesn't help it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If it were arthritis I would notice it on other occasions than just high rep work.

Yolked

Awards
  • Established
If it were arthritis I would notice it on other occasions than just high rep work.
Not talking about you. I was talking about why not everyone can do low reps... puts more stress on joints than high reps... I'm wondering how hi reps effect your joints negatively....