sucks I'm this old now.... need moral support

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Well guys I put off visiting this forum for over a year (I'm now 36).... but I suppose I will just have to accept this "aging" thing. How is everyone doing with their training post-35? Can I still make gains, or am I already in a slow decline which means I'm the best I'll ever look? Looking for moral support!

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
I guess my best answer is this- I'm 52 and am stronger now than I have ever been. Age is just a number, don't let it defeat you.
Well guys I put off visiting this forum for over a year (I'm now 36).... but I suppose I will just have to accept this "aging" thing. How is everyone doing with their training post-35? Can I still make gains, or am I already in a slow decline which means I'm the best I'll ever look? Looking for moral support!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't tell if you're srs...

Man, I see some huge dudes here and in my gym that are post 50, still making gains.

It is going to depend on your diet and work ethic, just as if you were a year younger.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 56 years old I am not as strong as I once was, but I am in better shape than ever

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also cannot tell if OP is being serious. The only people I know that think 36 is old are the people that have let themselves go to **** and use it as an excuse. I am 40, just a hair shy of the 1400 club, play rugby, compete in muay thai, and compete in endurance events. My dad is 74 and benching 315.

My point being that you are not old at all and there is no reason you can't do everything you were doing in your 20s. Except maybe late night benders. Those hurt now. :)

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The 64 year old guy at my gym was deadlifting over 400 for reps 3 days in a row as a birthday celebration for himself. He's the nicest guy in the gym too, always helping people out who need it. This thread reminded me of him.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Thanks guys for the replies - I was being serious..... was kind of feeling like "is it all downhill from here".... read about declining testosterone....certain percent every year, etc, etc..... but reading what you guys mentioned is what I needed to hear. My gym has all young guys but if I saw guys in their 40s and 50s like you're talking about still tossing around the heavy plates, I probably would have never started this thread.

Getting up tomorrow and hitting it hard.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
My health and strength/physique is better at 36 than ever in my life. Still making gains and still cutting fat. If I could only take this package back to when I was a teenager...

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My health and strength/physique is better at 36 than ever in my life. Still making gains and still cutting fat. If I could only take this package back to when I was a teenager...
When I was a Teenager I did not have a 6-Pack, I had a Keg!!

bioboy88

Awards
I think that doubting and worrying about your age are the worst things you can do now. Impossible is nothing if you believe in yourself. By the way, note that your attitude somehow can have a magic effect on your outcomes.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, I'm 54 and still making gains albeit "slow gains". The main issue with age is the recovery slows and you have to compensate. Age is simply a number in your head! Rage into the dying of the light!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, I'm 54 and still making gains albeit "slow gains". The main issue with age is the recovery slows and you have to compensate. Age is simply a number in your head! Rage into the dying of the light!!
^^^ And his volume out-paces most young'ns.

Beltzie5

Beltzie5

Awards
  • Established
Guys Know I came in late on this thread but want to throw in. I turned 50 last July and started my Bucket List 1 was a 5K obstacle race got that one checked off. Even done that with a 20% disability to lower right leg and ankle. No. 2 is benching 400 lbs right know weighing 175 and hit 315 getting there slowly but surely. Started this journey hot and heavy in May No 3 is I'm gonna compete in male physique comp. in the future and see where it goes from there. Don't let the gray on the chin fool you still a lot of life left in me. Only problem is old injuries got to learn to work around them have a shoulder that gives me hell but I don't work it to fatique. Have a 20% disability in lower right ankle and leg I walk with a gimp, Squats suck only hit 180 to 200 lbs because thats all my ankle can take. Elbow gives me fits but your only competition is yourself. Just got done running a log on AM for Purus Labs on their TheaTrim and getting ready to run a log on Diabolix for Iron Flex. Found AM and have learned a lot so far and looking to learn more. Listen to the guys on here they're all stand up guys and know their stuff. Happy I found AM and all the guys on here.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Hah... At 36 I was at the top of the food chain in my weight class and now 4 years later I'm nobody, so as we get older we all need moral support.

Unless you have a serious health issue or a limb isn't working I say your only as only as you act.

Go see a doctor, I'm sure your T level are low and he could help you get back to where you want to be. I will be as soon as my ankle get better. BACK TO THE TOP OF THE 220s!

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
41.5 here, never used PH's and getting stronger by the day! Your in control of what you do and how you want to grow! I don't care about test levels. I have. 1 and 2yr old. I have a YouTube channel, where I have my best lifts posted from comps. I have inclined 405 for a single as recently as this July, deadlifted 565 last November, Squatted 500 and benched 440 November 17, 2013. Close gripped 405 this July. Standing military pressed 225 after what most call excessive volume. I even hit a stress period where I dropped weight and rebuilding right now! I never been injured or tore a muscle. Time again and again I read where people have done this and stay away from different exercises. I do what I want and even have lifted or what I call overstrained week after week and make progress. Once you talk your body into falling to age, the body follows according to your thoughts. I follow Mike Rashid and CT FLETCHER. My workouts are a combination of their work and wha I have put together. You don't have believe anything I tell you but what o have done is all documented on my channel. I follow a lot of people here and yet I don't say much because many will disagree with me but its ok because I'm not limited by words but by my own actions. I stand 6'5 and 345lbs. I even have heard tall people stress they can't gain weight or make progress. I was 190 in college. Steadily grew and grew. I made progress because I always worked out with the biggest guy I could find in eachc gym I became apart of. The biggest not necessarily the tallest. I didn't care what he did or ate I just tried to keep up. It paid off greatly. I utilize simple supplements most would say don't work. Well they work for me and I don't plan on changing. I have put a lot into what I've explained here, more than o care to reveal but it's all truth. Take it how you want but I will delete it later.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
41.5 here, never used PH's and getting stronger by the day! Your in control of what you do and how you want to grow! I don't care about test levels. I have. 1 and 2yr old. I have a YouTube channel, where I have my best lifts posted from comps. I have inclined 405 for a single as recently as this July, deadlifted 565 last November, Squatted 500 and benched 440 November 17, 2013. Close gripped 405 this July. Standing military pressed 225 after what most call excessive volume. I even hit a stress period where I dropped weight and rebuilding right now! I never been injured or tore a muscle. Time again and again I read where people have done this and stay away from different exercises. I do what I want and even have lifted or what I call overstrained week after week and make progress. Once you talk your body into falling to age, the body follows according to your thoughts. I follow Mike Rashid and CT FLETCHER. My workouts are a combination of their work and wha I have put together. You don't have believe anything I tell you but what o have done is all documented on my channel. I follow a lot of people here and yet I don't say much because many will disagree with me but its ok because I'm not limited by words but by my own actions. I stand 6'5 and 345lbs. I even have heard tall people stress they can't gain weight or make progress. I was 190 in college. Steadily grew and grew. I made progress because I always worked out with the biggest guy I could find in eachc gym I became apart of. The biggest not necessarily the tallest. I didn't care what he did or ate I just tried to keep up. It paid off greatly. I utilize simple supplements most would say don't work. Well they work for me and I don't plan on changing. I have put a lot into what I've explained here, more than o care to reveal but it's all truth. Take it how you want but I will delete it later.
Good Read and Great Stats !!

damn shame

damn shame

Awards
I'm 41 and fitter than I have ever been. Some of the fittest guys I know are in their 50's and 60's.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Be the guy that the 20 somethings want to be when they get "old".
I just turned 36. I'm not the biggest or strongest guy at my gym, but I'm in better shape than when I was in college, and I'm far more consistent than any of the "young bucks" there as well. Keep banging away at the weights man, 36 isn't even CLOSE to old.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
mountainman, you are freaking ripped compared to the old photos you had posted months ago. Great job on your progress.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mountainman, you are freaking ripped compared to the old photos you had posted months ago. Great job on your progress.
Thanks K! Still a work in progress but I'm getting there.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm 56 Years Young !!

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
That was shot guys a thief... CT is an old man that had great stats but now will say anything to keep himself relevant.

Pretty much anything coming out of metro flex Long Beach is ****... There are a few good lifters, a lot more are not as good as they think they are.

adolfgalland

Awards
48 and still hitting it. Hell im stronger now than in my 30's. Dont loose heart bud!

Canuckguy

Awards
48 as well....going to be 49 in a couple weeks....and I'm in better shape now than I was in my 20's.....Keep going!

AGELESS

AGELESS

Awards
  • Established
I am 'AGELESS" ....I 'm will be 71 in april... I just take one day at a time and i am greatful....now the truth ....do I feel 71 ....yup... you bet I do..lol

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I am 'AGELESS" ....I 'm will be 71 in april... I just take one day at a time and i am greatful....now the truth ....do I feel 71 ....yup... you bet I do..lol
You are a great inspiration to many I'm sure!

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
48 and still hitting it. Hell im stronger now than in my 30's. Dont loose heart bud!
45 here. My numbers aren't the same, but I outwork the younger ones, and they don't have to juggle, career, church, kids, adults responsibilities either.

jazzy j

Awards
Hey my man I'm 43 on trt been on for years had a craniotomy and my levels dropped to 0 have no fear train hard it will pay off I'm 195 and can put up 405 took me years to get there but hard work pay off.

eddieSt.james

eddieSt.james

Awards
Honestly, I'm in my late 40s and the training is better than ever. I've been on TRT for year and it's made a big difference in and out of the gym. I've always loved working out but now have newfound passion for it.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has their favorites they follow

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 47, hairy as a rug and don't give a f*ck. Older means wiser too. In my gym , the younger ones are whispering behind my back, not because I'm old, because I'm lifting tons of iron, they can't move.
See yourself as a ripe fruit, you are in your prime.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I also cannot tell if OP is being serious. The only people I know that think 36 is old are the people that have let themselves go to **** and use it as an excuse. I am 40, just a hair shy of the 1400 club, play rugby, compete in muay thai, and compete in endurance events. My dad is 74 and benching 315.

My point being that you are not old at all and there is no reason you can't do everything you were doing in your 20s. Except maybe late night benders. Those hurt now. :)
Holy $hi7 man, I had no idea you did all of this. You're a %*^&* animal! What type of training do you do, or do you follow your own routine?

And I agree, as we get older, we get wiser. I lift better (smarter) now that I ever have. I'm bigger now than I ever was, and I'm training harder than I ever have. And this is all post surgery/injuries.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Holy $hi7 man, I had no idea you did all of this. You're a %*^&* animal! What type of training do you do, or do you follow your own routine?

And I agree, as we get older, we get wiser. I lift better (smarter) now that I ever have. I'm bigger now than I ever was, and I'm training harder than I ever have. And this is all post surgery/injuries.
Honestly, it all depends on if there is something I am training for and then I get fairly specific, but in general I follow closely to PHAT and DC. I respond well to it as I am getting older. I just ran a long routine of Mountain Dog and that was incredibly effective, but really taxing and negatively affected my mountain biking. Now that snowboard season is coming up, I'll start concentrating on higher rep, HIIT type training for endurance and capacity because I ride with some big mountain riders so the training will change up to accommodate.

MT training is only once a week for 60 min now because I'm not competing. Just a good release and nice to keep up the skills a bit.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Honestly, it all depends on if there is something I am training for and then I get fairly specific, but in general I follow closely to PHAT and DC. I respond well to it as I am getting older. I just ran a long routine of Mountain Dog and that was incredibly effective, but really taxing and negatively affected my mountain biking. Now that snowboard season is coming up, I'll start concentrating on higher rep, HIIT type training for endurance and capacity because I ride with some big mountain riders so the training will change up to accommodate.

MT training is only once a week for 60 min now because I'm not competing. Just a good release and nice to keep up the skills a bit.
Good stuff, thanks for the info. I'm also a snowboarder, been doing it for over 20 years, so basically when it first started. I used to be a ski racer but as soon as snowboarding came out, I completely made the switch. I was a skateboarder in my youth, so the transition was fairly easy. I need to get out west / mid-west more often. East coast conditions pretty much restrict me to park riding. What kind of setup do you have right now?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice! I actually skated for Tracker, Wave Rave, and Naked Skates (local board company) from 88-91 and then really fell into snowboarding. Boardercross was really my thing because I like the physical nature of it and that just transitioned into riding with a group of friends that liked trees and big drops.

My new stick is a '15 NS Ripsaw x. I switch between that and an older Nitro Team with less camber that I prefer in trees and for just general riding.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ahh man that's pretty cool. Yeah I love all mountain riding and the park, but if I was out west, I'd be in the trees and powder a lot too. I think I need to get a dedicated park board this year again and like you're doing, just switch between them. I've been riding an all mountain freestyle board for everything.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
46 as of Last Tuesday. Not making any gains or improvement. Sucks. I would do a cycle of something but scared to death of losing hair. Need support too.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh well. I thought it was an accomplishment.