35 and struggle to shed pot belly!

scottnailon

scottnailon

Awards
I've been training now for about a year, my diet is clean and I still have some hard fat around my gut. How do I shift it?

Also, is it harder for 35+ to gain muscle? Would a cycle of test help me? If so in what ways?

Thanks for the support guys :)

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is your first post, so I don't know if it is serious. Assuming it is, you need to post up more information than that and the most important is your diet. That is where everything starts and will always be the most important.

scottnailon

scottnailon

Awards
This is your first post, so I don't know if it is serious. Assuming it is, you need to post up more information than that and the most important is your diet. That is where everything starts and will always be the most important.
Sure!

Breakfast - 200 grams oats in milk.

Lunch - uncle bens rice pack - brown ice.

Dinner - 250 grams of very lean mince + 250 grams of broccoli and cauliflower

3 coffees per day and some water.

I'm noticing small weight change... 3-5 kg loss but that's it.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you weight train?

How about Cardio?

You need more protein as a start. Perhaps less carbs.

Have you ever tried a reduced (not LOW) carb diet?

Where are your greens and healthy fats?

You take any supps?

scottnailon

scottnailon

Awards
Do you weight train? How about Cardio? You need more protein as a start. Perhaps less carbs. Have you ever tried a reduced (not LOW) carb diet? Where are your greens and healthy fats? You take any supps?
Asthma stops any good cardio at this point - but I try it every now and then.

I try to train three times per week. Monday arms / shoulders - Wednesday - legs / Friday - back - chest

Ok I will change my ratios and go more protein. Which greens and healthy fats do u suggest? (Can't eat fish - but can take fish oil)

No sups at this point - used to do a protein shake in the mornings...

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
Asthma stops any good cardio at this point - but I try it every now and then. I try to train three times per week. Monday arms / shoulders - Wednesday - legs / Friday - back - chest Ok I will change my ratios and go more protein. Which greens and healthy fats do u suggest? (Can't eat fish - but can take fish oil) No sups at this point - used to do a protein shake in the mornings...
Try doing LISS cardio. Low Intensity Steady State cardio, like walking at an incline for 45 min. Goal is to keep your heart rate around 60%, something like that shouldn't mess with your asthma! I wouldn't think.

scottnailon

scottnailon

Awards
Try doing LISS cardio. Low Intensity Steady State cardio, like walking at an incline for 45 min. Goal is to keep your heart rate around 60%, something like that shouldn't mess with your asthma! I wouldn't think.
Awesome ! Thanks! How much impact would something like that have on me ?

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
Awesome ! Thanks! How much impact would something like that have on me ?
Can't really say for sure, but lots of people swear by LISS cardio. Great way to burn fat while preserving muscle. I personally don't like it, it's hard for me not to lose interest walking on a treadmill for 45 min. Could see how someone with asthma would benefit from it through.

Flexpert

Flexpert

Awards
This isn't exactly what I would call a diet, first of all more meals need to be added to help boost your metabolism and get you burning more. You have very little protein and very high carbs, this is not ideal for fat loss. You need to be eating 5-6 meals per day but on a strict diet plan. You'll be consuming things like chicken, brown rice, whey protein, tilapia etc. there are several things you can use for sure. I would grab a quick diet plan off bb.com and start there. Diet is 80% of this battle. You need no test or juice of any kind, just good ole fashion hard work and dedication! Cardio is key when cutting. Do what you can but even walking on the treadmill for half hour each day can do wonders. Good luck

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Don't worry about your age, I am way older than you are and I have no problem with muscle mass. The key is consistent weight training coupled with diet. Also, how heavy of weights do you lift? If you're lifting relatively light weights youre going to have a real problem adding muscle. But whatever you do, don't start taking steroids or test. In my opinion, you shouldnt consider any of that till youve trained heavy for a long time. Personally, I've never used juice of any kind whatsoever, and i never will.
I've been training now for about a year, my diet is clean and I still have some hard fat around my gut. How do I shift it?

Also, is it harder for 35+ to gain muscle? Would a cycle of test help me? If so in what ways?

Thanks for the support guys :)

Gym God

Gym God

Awards
Don't worry about your age, I am way older than you are and I have no problem with muscle mass. The key is consistent weight training coupled with diet. Also, how heavy of weights do you lift? If you're lifting relatively light weights youre going to have a real problem adding muscle. But whatever you do, don't start taking steroids or test. In my opinion, you shouldnt consider any of that till youve trained heavy for a long time. Personally, I've never used juice of any kind whatsoever, and i never will.
Along with this….^^^ - patience. It has taken time to add this weight on, it's going to take time to drop it.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
you DONT need to be eating 5-6 meals a day. this is old bro-science that has been proven wrong time and time again.

The end result is getting in the right amount of food you need to take.

To start, I would say calc your TDEE (Google) this will give you a very basic starting point.
Stick to whole foods as often as possible. If you are having issues getting enough food in, look into supplementing with whey protein. Brown Sugar Maple Oatmeal protean is my favorite, but this is not necessary to acheive your goals. I only bring it up because liquid food can be easier to get in for some people who may have restricted schedules. And many of my clients are working, going to school, family and kids. So for them a simple supplement works.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Absolutely!Sometimes people expect a miracle cure, but in my experience miracles are few and far between. People need to realize that patient, consistent effort is the true key to fitness.
Along with this….^^^ - patience. It has taken time to add this weight on, it's going to take time to drop it.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
I think a real key to nutrition is this- Try to eat foods in as close to their original form as possible. Avoid overly processed foods. Stick to stuff that your body knows how to deal with. In my opinion (I know I'm preaching to the choir here)your body doesn't know what to do with overly processed foods, we were designed to eat foods that grew, flew, or walked on earth.
you DONT need to be eating 5-6 meals a day. this is old bro-science that has been proven wrong time and time again.

To start, I would say calc your TDEE (Google) this will give you a very basic starting point.
Stick to whole foods as often as possible. If you are having issues getting enough food in, look into supplementing with whey protein. Brown Sugar Maple Oatmeal protean is my favorite, but this is not necessary to acheive your goals. I only bring it up because liquid food can be easier to get in for some people who may have restricted schedules. And many of my clients are working, going to school, family and kids. So for them a simple supplement works.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I think a real key to nutrition is this- Try to eat foods in as close to their original form as possible. Avoid overly processed foods. Stick to stuff that your body knows how to deal with. In my opinion (I know I'm preaching to the choir here)your body doesn't know what to do with overly processed foods, we were designed to eat foods that grew, flew, or walked on earth.
This about sums it up.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Eating real foods yields real results. Doing real exercise also yields real results. People that are looking for quick and miraculous results with no effort are usually going to be disappointed.
This about sums it up.

scottnailon

scottnailon

Awards
Thanks guys, everything you have said is of awesome value!

I will make the relevant changes.