Need Some Advice - Plateaued on Mass Gains and Fat Loss

monkeyking13

monkeyking13

Awards
Need some help bros. I’ve been trying to make more gains and lose belly fat but seem to have hit a plateau. Need some advice. Here are my stats.

I’m 45 y/o, pre diabetic, insulin resistant. I’m on TRT at 200mg of Test Cypionate, divided into 2 shots per week. Taking Anastrazole ½ tab every other day My T levels stay at about 1000, E2 at 12-22. I started at 188 pounds and 22% body fat and made some lean muscle gains over the last year. My height is 5’8”, current weight 184 pounds and have 13% body fat. I still have a lot of fat in my lower belly and love handles.

My measurements are:
Chest: 41.5
Bicep: 15.5
Waist: 38
Hips: 38.3
Thigh: 23
Calf: 16.3
Neck: 15

I train everyday w/ the exception of Saturday. My training schedule is:
Mon: Chest and Shoulders, 45 mins cardio
Tues: Arms, 45 mins cardio
Wend: Back and Legs, 10 mins HIIT cardio
Thurs: Chest and Shoulders
Fri: Arms
Sat: Off
Sun: Back and Legs

Diet:
Breakfast: Oat bar and 2 scoops of protein powder
Snack: ½ Hand full of Cashews or Pecans
Lunch: 1 Serving of grilled lamb, 1 cup of Basmati Rice and 1 cup of Salad
Snack: ½ Serving of Cashews or Pecans or 1 scoop of protein powder.
PW: 2 scoops of protein powder
Dinner: 1-2 serving of protein (beef or chicken), 1-2 serving of veggies.

I eat low carb due to the insulin resistance. My calories are 2200 per day w/ 200g of protein. My carbs are under 100 per day and as low as 50 on Saturday.

Supplements:
GTF Chromium
R ALA
L Arginine
Creatine
BCAA
AMP Protein Powder

My goal is to get to 200 pounds w/ increase muscle mass and 10% body fat. I have been thinking about running a PH or AAS cycle inconjuction w/ my TRT but have not completely decided yet. Any advice or ideas to get back on track? Thanks!!!
Cheers,
Larry

monkeyking13

monkeyking13

Awards
Here is a breakdown of my workouts. I'm in the gym for no more than 45 mins lifting.

Monday and Thursday:
Flat Bench @ 210 # 5 sets of 8
Incline Bench @ 150# 5 sets of 8
Decline Bench @ 150# 5 sets of 8
Flat Bench Flyes @ 40-45# 5 sets of 8 or machine at 170# 5 sets of 8
Deltoid Fly @ 20-25# 5 sets of 8

Cardio Glider or Eliptical x 45 mins

Tuesday and Friday:
Incline Zottman Curls @ 35# 5 set of 8
Skull Crushers @ 70# 5 sets of 8
Hammer Curls @ 45# 5 sets of 8
21’s @ 50# 1 set
Cable Pull Downs @ 60# 4 sets of 10
Preacher Curls @ 110#, pyramid -10# per set x 5
Weighted Dips @ 45#, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10

Cardio Glider or Eliptical x 45 mins

Wednesday and Sunday:
Flat Bench @ 100# 5 sets of 5 (warm up)
Squats @ 150# 5 sets of 5
Dead Lifts @ 150# 5 sets of 5
Barbell Rows @ 150# 5 sets of 5
Deltoid Fly @ 20-25# 5 sets of 8

Cardio Glider or Eliptical x 10 mins HIIT

Thanks again!!!
Cheers,
Larry

Score

Awards
If you are looking to gain muscle which will burn some fat you are stating you have, you need to up your calories IMO.

Do you know what you should be eating for maintenance?

monkeyking13

monkeyking13

Awards
Score,
Thanks for the reply. My BMR is 2732 for a moderately active person. I have been maintaining 2200 calories for about 3-4 months now and my weight has not changed either up or down. My measurements are about the same. This is part of my frustration. If i was leaning out, then I could at least choose a direction. Finish leaning out and then bulk. I'm just stuck. My fear or question is that if I consume 2700 calories that it will convert to fat due to the insulin resistance.
Cheers,
Larry

Score

Awards
Score, Thanks for the reply. My BMR is 2732 for a moderately active person. I have been maintaining 2200 calories for about 3-4 months now and my weight has not changed either up or down. My measurements are about the same. This is part of my frustration. If i was leaning out, then I could at least choose a direction. Finish leaning out and then bulk. I'm just stuck. My fear or question is that if I consume 2700 calories that it will convert to fat due to the insulin resistance. Cheers, Larry
Insulin resistance is something I know nothing about. From a totally ignorant standpoint wouldn't that mean the type of food you eat is very important, not necessarily the amount?

Meaning if you increased your calories to slightly above maintenance (in an effort to build muscle) and ate very clean, wouldn't you be okay even with your condition?

You will not gain a point of muscle eating below maintenance and become very frustrated IMO.

monkeyking13

monkeyking13

Awards
Insulin resistance is something I know nothing about. From a totally ignorant standpoint wouldn't that mean the type of food you eat is very important, not necessarily the amount?

Meaning if you increased your calories to slightly above maintenance (in an effort to build muscle) and ate very clean, wouldn't you be okay even with your condition?

You will not gain a point of muscle eating below maintenance and become very frustrated IMO.
Score,
Thanks for the input. I see your point. I have been on the fence about eating more in fear of gaining more fat, not weight. Its a slippery slope for me as my body does not use insulin properly, instead of shuttling glucose to the muscles it moves it to the fat cells. This is why I had to go low carb, started taking Chromium and R ALA to try to improve my insulin sensitivity.

My main source of frustration as you pointed out is w/ all the training and eating clean, I have not made any significant gains or losses in body composition in the last 6 months - 1 year. My body fat is stuck at 13% I'm slightly leaner but still have the midsection and love handles. I know this is the last that comes off but also from a health stand point, I need to reduce my risk to improve my situation. Reducing belly and viseral fat to not get diabetes. This has been my motivator.

I'm going to re evaluate my diet this weekend and see about adding in an additional 500-1000 calories to see if I can make some muscle gains. I'm going to keep an eye on my measurements and may have to re adjust depending on the results. Thanks again!
Cheers,
Larry

Score

Awards
Score, Thanks for the input. I see your point. I have been on the fence about eating more in fear of gaining more fat, not weight. Its a slippery slope for me as my body does not use insulin properly, instead of shuttling glucose to the muscles it moves it to the fat cells. This is why I had to go low carb, started taking Chromium and R ALA to try to improve my insulin sensitivity. My main source of frustration as you pointed out is w/ all the training and eating clean, I have not made any significant gains or losses in body composition in the last 6 months - 1 year. My body fat is stuck at 13% I'm slightly leaner but still have the midsection and love handles. I know this is the last that comes off but also from a health stand point, I need to reduce my risk to improve my situation. Reducing belly and viseral fat to not get diabetes. This has been my motivator. I'm going to re evaluate my diet this weekend and see about adding in an additional 500-1000 calories to see if I can make some muscle gains. I'm going to keep an eye on my measurements and may have to re adjust depending on the results. Thanks again! Cheers, Larry
Are you saying that even if your glycogen stores are depleted (via heavy training) your body moves glucose to fat cells rather than your depleted cells?

Forgive me but I'm learning a bit here.

Wondering if your diet tweak can simply be an addition of a post workout meal that is based on carbs, then continue to avoid them as you do any other time?

monkeyking13

monkeyking13

Awards
Are you saying that even if your glycogen stores are depleted (via heavy training) your body moves glucose to fat cells rather than your depleted cells?

Forgive me but I'm learning a bit here.

Wondering if your diet tweak can simply be an addition of a post workout meal that is based on carbs, then continue to avoid them as you do any other time?
No worries. Correct. From my understanding of insulin resistance, this is how it work in my body. Glycogen is 1st moved to the liver and stored. Once the liver is maxed, it shuttles the remaining/excess glycogen to the fat cells. Very little goes into the muscles as insulin is not responding correctly. The easiest way to explain it is, insulin has the wrong key, so it can not unlock or enter the pathways to the muscles. This is why I have such a difficult time losing or gaining. I'm up to the task of playing w/ my diet and increasing my intake. I take Chromium and use the R ALA in my protein shake to improve insulin sensitivity to get some nutrients into my muscle stores.
Cheers,
Larry

Gainsplease

Awards
Try out a ketogenic diet I’m down from 213 20% now to 8% bf at 185 gaining strength every workout too just got To get your fat and protein around 1:1 with your protein being 1- 1.2 lb bodyweight

Gainsplease

Awards
It will help with your insulin resistance as well

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I eat low carb due to the insulin resistance. My calories are 2200 per day w/ 200g of protein. My carbs are under 100 per day and as low as 50 on Saturday.

Supplements:
GTF Chromium
R ALA
L Arginine
Creatine
BCAA
AMP Protein Powder

My goal is to get to 200 pounds w/ increase muscle mass and 10% body fat. I have been thinking about running a PH or AAS cycle inconjuction w/ my TRT but have not completely decided yet. Any advice or ideas to get back on track? Thanks!!!
Cheers,
Larry
2200 cals is a pretty middle of the road maintenance spot for natural guys, I'm not sure about with the TRT and ana though. immediately gaining 16lbs of muscle while decreasing fat by 3-5lbs is going to be a helluva struggle without gear. The way I see it you have 3 options:

1. cut calories to get lean.
2. increase output to get lean
3. reverse diet to put on mass and see how much you can boost your metabolism. <-- this has worked well for me.

you have to decide which short term goal is more important. 200lbs or 10%. 200lbs at 10% naturally at 5'8" without adding gear seems incredibly unlikely to me but I reserve the right to be wrong.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Looking again at your workout log and notes I think we need to make more adjustments. how did you come to the conclusion that you were at 13% BF? can you see your abs?
5'8" and 13% BF with a 38" waist doesn't compute for me. any pics?

I'd reckon we could put an inch on the quads, an inch on the biceps, at least 1 if not 2+ inches on the chest, and take 6 inches off that waist at 10% BF and your scale weight would be 178.