Coloring Gray Hair?

Warthog13

Awards
<Sigh > It's come to this...I'm thinking about coloring my hair. I'm getting gray around the temples. My hair is dirty blonde/very light brown so it's not as prominent as Reed Richards from FF4 but still...I'd like to do something.

I looked at the instructions for 'Just for Men' and it looks way too complicated for me (and I'm an engineer who routinely over-complicates things!).

So I thought I'd seek advice here - are there any good or bad experiences anybody cares to share about coloring their geay hair? Thanks!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, your choices are to do it yourself and it sounds like you don't want to do that. So that leaves you with doing nothing or having a salon do it for you. My wife owns a salon and there is definitely a difference with what they can do compared to what you do at home. If you are vain at all, then you may want to leave it to the pros.

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
Mine is light but coming in gray on the sides now. I just keep a close cut #1 blade on the clippers and you can't see it.

Warthog13

Awards
Well, your choices are to do it yourself and it sounds like you don't want to do that. So that leaves you with doing nothing or having a salon do it for you. My wife owns a salon and there is definitely a difference with what they can do compared to what you do at home. If you are vain at all, then you may want to leave it to the pros.
To be honest - If I wasn't vain, I wouldn't be talking about coloring my hair! LOL

Seriously though, thanks for the response. It's not that I don't want to do it on my own, it just seems a little daunting. I was hoping somebody that has tried an at-home product could recommend one that they had success with. If it's complicated - so be it...just as long as the directions are easy to follow. I've been married 13 years; I'm good at following directions!

Do you have any recommendations/advice on what to look for when looking for a salon to do the professional color treatment? Thanks!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe any higher end salon would be fine. I wouldn't go to a place that does $10 haircuts for that. My wife keeps trying to get me to color my little patches on the sides and I actually like them. But, I also keep me hair very short with a 1 on the sides and very close on top.

pimppapa1977

Awards
If you have a sallys beauty supply go pick up the same stuff they use at salons.I do :) comes out perfect