New Guy Here

oldguyhere

Awards
Hey Guys, Just wanted to introduce myself. Im new here and somewhat new to training. I'm 45 been training a little over a year. I'm 6' tall and started last year at 230lbs. After a year Im maintaining 190-195 without too much effort at all. Hit the gym 5 days a week pretty consistently I travel for work which throw a wrench in once and a while but I've been lucky finding places to train when out of town but there's no place like home right. Well hope that's not too much info for a first introduction.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Welcome to AM brother

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Welcome to the board!

shealym

Awards
welcome aboard. Yep this the place for old guys, but then what would you know about that. . . I'm 62 and still compete in powerlifting. All kidding aside the body starts to go down hill at 35 and I am sure you are seeing that with aches and pains. Drop me an email if you have any question concerning training or suppliments

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome OldGuy. I'm 53 so you are considered a young pup in my eyes. Congrats on the weight loss and your commitment to good health!

oldguyhere

Awards
Thanks for the warm welcome Kenpoengineer. In an effort to inspire my children and spend some quality time I have recently enrolled in karate with 2 of my kiddies. Hope they don't repeat the sins of there father and I can help set an example for a healthy lifestyle for them.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the warm welcome Kenpoengineer. In an effort to inspire my children and spend some quality time I have recently enrolled in karate with 2 of my kiddies. Hope they don't repeat the sins of there father and I can help set an example for a healthy lifestyle for them.
Very commendable! What style? I have a black belt in Kenpo karate. When my son was younger he and I would both study. He's a Navy sailor now and the karate helped mold his personality.

oldguyhere

Awards
welcome aboard. Yep this the place for old guys, but then what would you know about that. . . I'm 62 and still compete in powerlifting. All kidding aside the body starts to go down hill at 35 and I am sure you are seeing that with aches and pains. Drop me an email if you have any question concerning training or suppliments
Hi Shealym, 62 and still competing dude your a stud!! I did notice alot of changes about 35 taking place. Getting healthy and staying there is a full time job these days. But hey where would you rather be than right here right now right. I really appreciate the offer and I will def take you up on it. Thank You

oldguyhere

Awards
Very commendable! What style? I have a black belt in Kenpo karate. When my son was younger he and I would both study. He's a Navy sailor now and the karate helped mold his personality.
The instructor comes from a kenpo background but Im not really sure to be honest. Thats good to hear about your Son Im hoping the same for my Son and Daughter. Besides when Im there on the floor with them they seem to want to try harder maybe they want to get one up on the old man someday. I can see it in my son wanting to test the waters with me every once in a while. unfortunately for him I trained tae kwon do and BJJ when I was younger so hes got a long way to go to get one up on me. I still hand my nephews there butts and one of them is fresh from the Marine Corps.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man congrats on the weight loss over the year and staying with it.
Hardest thing to do with lifting (especially over the years) is to keep showing up to train.
I am 55 myself and look as forward to training now, as I did when I started (30 years ago)
All the best in your endeavors

oldguyhere

Awards
Hey man congrats on the weight loss over the year and staying with it.
Hardest thing to do with lifting (especially over the years) is to keep showing up to train.
I am 55 myself and look as forward to training now, as I did when I started (30 years ago)
All the best in your endeavors
Thanks Paul, 30 years and still going strong that's pretty awesome. 55 no offense but I'm starting to feel like young pup again. You guys are pretty inspiring I must say. Im thinking I can do this right into my 70's and beyond.

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Whats up oldguy? Welcome to the best forum on the interwebz. Nice progress.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Welcome to AM! Trying to inspire your kids to be healthy is very commendable, and in my experience definitely works. Kids definitely learn by watching their parents.
Hey Guys, Just wanted to introduce myself. Im new here and somewhat new to training. I'm 45 been training a little over a year. I'm 6' tall and started last year at 230lbs. After a year Im maintaining 190-195 without too much effort at all. Hit the gym 5 days a week pretty consistently I travel for work which throw a wrench in once and a while but I've been lucky finding places to train when out of town but there's no place like home right. Well hope that's not too much info for a first introduction.

oldguyhere

Awards
Thanks Billy, Im trying. My son has taken to riding his bike recently and is going crazy riding everywhere and I love it!!

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Because she has always seen me working out, my daughter has always exercised too. She lifts weights with me, and is a black belt in karate. You are doing a great thing by providing a positive example for your kid....BTW-you're not old as far as I'm concerned, so don't worry that you won't be able to achieve positive results. I do all right, and I'm 51.
Thanks Billy, Im trying. My son has taken to riding his bike recently and is going crazy riding everywhere and I love it!!

oldguyhere

Awards
Because she has always seen me working out, my daughter has always exercised too. She lifts weights with me, and is a black belt in karate. You are doing a great thing by providing a positive example for your kid....BTW-you're not old as far as I'm concerned, so don't worry that you won't be able to achieve positive results. I do all right, and I'm 51.
Thanks Billy i will take it to heart. My buddy just deadlifted 405 for the first time in his life and he's 48 so there is still alot of life left in us guys. great news on your daughter very impressive you must a proud Daddy thats for sure.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to derail, but totally agree with this. Both of my kids picked up on what mom and dad do and now crave the activity. The 6yo just got her purple belt and won her first co-ed points sparring tournement in tang soo do, swims on the local rec team, and now joined lacrosse. The 3 year just joined ballet and is about to start tang soo do.

We have to stay on top of our game for those around us too!

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Men our age can still get the job done. Personally, I am stronger now than I was when I was 35.......I am a very proud daddy. My daughter and I spend a ton of time with each other and have an amazing relationship(She's 13). One of my proudest moments came about two years ago. I had taken her to karate class, and the Master was talking about a new weightlifting/strength training course they were trying to get everybody to sign up for. He went on and on about how some extra muscles would do everyone some good. A lot of the kids signed up for it. When he got to my daughter and asked her if she wanted to take the course, she looked at him like he was insane and said "Have you seen my daddy? He'll train me". Now she lifts with me three days a week, I worked up a program, keeping in mind her age. She is amazingly strong for a girl her age, in fact I would venture a guess that she's stronger than the vast majority of boys her age.
Thanks Billy i will take it to heart. My buddy just deadlifted 405 for the first time in his life and he's 48 so there is still alot of life left in us guys. great news on your daughter very impressive you must a proud Daddy thats for sure.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Absolutely. I primarily lift at home, so my daughter has grown up watching me go into the garage five days a week to exercise. So to her, exercise is a very natural thing, as far as she is concerned not exercising is abnormal. Too many people underestimate the influence their example has on their children. But rest assured, the kids are watching what you do and learning all the time. It is our responsibility to make sure that they are learning good stuff.
Not to derail, but totally agree with this. Both of my kids picked up on what mom and dad do and now crave the activity. The 6yo just got her purple belt and won her first co-ed points sparring tournement in tang soo do, swims on the local rec team, and now joined lacrosse. The 3 year just joined ballet and is about to start tang soo do.

We have to stay on top of our game for those around us too!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...and I got it from my dad. Growing up I didn't understand it but he demanded that I lift weights and learn to box with him. I was skateboarding professionally at the time and it was another world from what I wanted to do, but there was no getting around it. Now I look back and am so grateful to have had that requirement of physical fitness because it's just part of my life and I am stronger and in better shape than anyone I run into.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
You're right, physical fitness is a true lifestyle, it easier to stay in shape than it is to get back into shape. At this stage of my life, if I don't lift for a couple of days it feels really weird. So i seldom miss a workout.
...and I got it from my dad. Growing up I didn't understand it but he demanded that I lift weights and learn to box with him. I was skateboarding professionally at the time and it was another world from what I wanted to do, but there was no getting around it. Now I look back and am so grateful to have had that requirement of physical fitness because it's just part of my life and I am stronger and in better shape than anyone I run into.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Welcome :) There is tons of useful info here, you will love it.