I want serious mass and I'm over 40

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey all. I'm 41 & really want to build some muscle. I have low test so that's an issue I'm dealing with, but I was wondering if anyone has a good plan. I've been trying different supps. & haven't found anything that working good. I work out very hard a lot & get cut but I'm looking to get bigger. So far I've lost a bunch of body fat & weight but I really want some size.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I probly take in about 2300cal.a day but 1/4 of that is protien shakes like pre & post work outs. It's hard to eat big. I eat like chicken fish pork salads eggs breads , normal stuff I guess . I'm also taking a supp. Called HGH up , on my 4th week but it seems to have stopped working for me.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eat more. You can track your calories with apps on your phone to make sure you're eating enough. 2300 cals is pretty low, I would try and get atleast 3000. And instead of hgh up you should just go with a natty test booster like DAA. It's cheap and effective. What's your workout schedule like?

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I probly take in about 2300cal.a day but 1/4 of that is protien shakes like pre & post work outs. It's hard to eat big. I eat like chicken fish pork salads eggs breads , normal stuff I guess . I'm also taking a supp. Called HGH up , on my 4th week but it seems to have stopped working for me.
If you want to get big you gotta eat big.... 2300 cals isn't enough, that's more like a cut or lean maintenance... Lift + eat gave you some good advice. A good natty test booster that will help (I favor it) is usp labs test powder. But man if you want more size, eat more. And def don't be afraid of carbs. Muscle is built in the kitchen! Good luck

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just curious what are your stats? Height and weight?

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool thanks :)
Ok my work out is like 4 days a wk. & about 1to1/12 hours. I do the basics mostly free weights. Abs, lats, delts,curls, flys,pull ups, push ups,ride some miles on the bike.
As far as the test booster I'm also taking the product free test & get 300mg injections of testosterone every 21days. Kinda crash after 14 honestly , need to talk to the doc again. So I'll totally look into the booster you recommended . And I'll try to raise my calories.
I really appreciate your advice.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh and my height is 6feet & I weigh 186lb. Several months ago I was about 200lb. But it was mostly fat. Now I want to be 200+ Muscle.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your on test an OTC test booster isn't going to do anything for you.... 300 mg e 21 days is crazy. You should be getting 100 mg/week to avoid the crash. Your doc is uninformed about the best protocol. I would talk to him about administering your own injections @ 100 mg/week to stabilize your levels and avoid the crash.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very cool , I was thinking about asking the same thing 100mg a week will do. So scratch the test booster ? It has an estrogen blocker in it as well , is that something that I need for when I'm crashing after 14 days or so?

rfarns01

Awards
Very cool , I was thinking about asking the same thing 100mg a week will do. So scratch the test booster ? It has an estrogen blocker in it as well , is that something that I need for when I'm crashing after 14 days or so?
Get bloodwork done and get on a proper trt protocol, as one said 100mg per wk and if your estradiol is high you get your doc to write a script for aromasin or arimidex. Doing 100 mg per week you won't have a crash. Get rid of the crappy test booster since you already have the real deal. Do more research on trt, educate yourself.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you . Test boosters are going to be gone. Blood work will be done & I will have estrogen & test checked again.
On a different note, I have a box of Panthera Primaldrol 4000. A 4 week supply. Do you think I should be taking it? Does anyone think it would help with some muscle gain?

Last edited:

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some things:
Test boosters are pointless when you are already shut down from being on TRT. They are pretty pointless anyway in general.
Your protocol is doing more bad than good. You need to be on 100mg ew at minimum. 50 e3.5d is better.
I eat 2000 calories before 10am. Eating 2300 all day long is barely keeping your weight stable based on 4 days a week and 60-90 min of gym time.
You need to concentrate on the big 3 lifts and add in other compound accessory work. Compound movements.

Getting your test up and your protocol stable will likely net you 4-5 lbs on it's own. You should be able to easily hit 200lbs of mostly muscle in 3-4 months with everything else in line.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn you make it sound easy lol. I've all ready made an appt. with my doc to get theTRT on the right track. I'm gonna get my estrogen & test levels checked on the 22nd of this month because I just had my 300mg yesterday , so I'll let it drop again before the blood work. I got what you all are saying& I'm all ready tracking my calories , 3000a day is what I'm shooting for. But I don't know what ew & 50 e3 5d mean when your talking about my test levels.
Can u explain?

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Abbreviations ew every week E3.5d is every 3.5 days etc...

He's saying it's better to do 50mg twice a week if your using cypionate or enanthate... This is actually the best way to stabilize your levels. Once a week is fine if your more comfortable with that.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok , thanks man :)
I'm still new to all of this..... Thanks everyone for educating me.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are the 3 big lifts ? Im also curious why taking an OTC test booster along with my test injections are doing me more harm than good? Whats it doing to me?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Big 3 are deadlifts, bench, and squats. The compound accessory that you should be adding in are SL or romanian deads, military and/or incline press, sumo deads, and front squats. Accessory isn't the proper way to look at them, but rather other variations of the big 3 that you should add in.

I didn't mean that taking OTC with test is doing more bad than good, I meant that taking a 300mg every 3 weeks is. Oh and your test boosters are just sucking money from your wallet. I guess that could be considered bad.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What are the 3 big lifts ? Im also curious why taking an OTC test booster along with my test injections are doing me more harm than good? Whats it doing to me?
frankly???
nothing.
that's why you should drop it. and save your money. that's coming from a rep who's company has some of the best test boosters on the market. truth is its fine if you want to use it to try and optimize your hormones a little beyond what your natural levels are.. but that will not likely do enough to change the rate at which you accrue mass.
now that you are on trt you will want to consider what's called "blasting and cruising". right now while on a therapeutic dose of test you are "cruising" when you
"blast" you in essence increase the dose of test (or test derivatives) into supra physiological levels. this is how at your age you are most likely to get big. you can look into several of todays designers steroids or look into underground options for your blasting needs.
the biggest thing you will need to do is eat more food than it takes just to keep what you got. the androgens will increase the bodies ability to use the extra calories, as well cause a massive reduction in catabolic actions which take place inside our body.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey all. I'm 41 & really want to build some muscle. I have low test so that's an issue I'm dealing with, but I was wondering if anyone has a good plan. I've been trying different supps. & haven't found anything that working good. I work out very hard a lot & get cut but I'm looking to get bigger. So far I've lost a bunch of body fat & weight but I really want some size.
First, get your diet in check. Increase good fats and protien.

I would also suggest buying and reading Natural Hormonal Enhancement (by R. Faigan). It isn't inexpensive, but it will help you with diet and make sure your workouts make sense, hormonally.

BTW - I have no vested interest whatsoever in the book, except that it helped me a great deal.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn ..... That's some knowledge. Thank you for giving me something's to research.
That's very cool of you.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool thanks :)
Ok my work out is like 4 days a wk. & about 1to1/12 hours. I do the basics mostly free weights. Abs, lats, delts,curls, flys,pull ups, push ups,ride some miles on the bike.
Some of the posters hit on diet, so I will take a few other routes too...
Keep in mind it takes time to build bigger mass, especially in the large groups ie: legs, glutes, back, shoulders and chest especially. I know some guys say they do not care about those areas, but the truth is, these are the large muscle groups that make the difference in carrying more bodyweight and put your body into a hormonal situation to grow some. Working the smaller groups, as you mentioned, are okay too, but to get the most out of mass training, IMO, you have to train the largest mass of the body with a good solid 5-7 compound exercise routine.
#5-#10 pound gains in lean muscle in a year is pretty great. If it does not sound like much, look at #7 pounds of hamburger on a plate.
And no, I am not a younger guy than you talking about gains for a 40 yo. I am 55 and still hit it hard. But as I said, it takes time, so make it a life long habit, don't rush or try short cuts and you will be better for it.
All the best

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep in mind it takes time to build bigger mass, especially in the large groups ie: legs, glutes, back, shoulders and chest especially. I know some guys say they do not care about those areas, but the truth is, these are the large muscle groups that make the difference in carrying more bodyweight and put your body into a hormonal situation to grow some.
Hey Paul, is this a nice way of saying "the morons that go in and work arms for an hour everytime"?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Paul, is this a nice way of saying "the morons that go in and work arms for an hour everytime"?
Ha, I WAS, one of those morons so to speak and thus when I hit the second big wall absolute years ago, found new light by working the big(gest) parts and the little ones fell easier into place and with less iso work. Most guys I have known, who want to start lifting, always work the arms harder than anything else, at least for a bit.