Doctor dilemma

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
1 year on TRT and checkups every 6 months for testosterone and occasionally psa from an endocrinologist. Other than that, he leaves me alone to inject as I please. 6 months ago, my test was 598 on day 2 after inject (he said perfect, mid range). Yesterday was 299 on day 7(day of inject). Range 348-1197
A couple things bother me and I wanted to bounce it of y'all.
1. He said most men age 35 have test in the 300's
2. He said to not be so precise with blood draw day
3. He said 299 is fine (even though I was terribly lethargic)
4. 4 nurses have noted my systolic BP in the 140-155 range and diastolic 84-100 but he said that's not high bp. (Family history of high BP)
5. Consistent 90+ minutes wait time after scheduled appt.
6. Higher copay ($37.50)
7. Authoritarian attitude

So there's the bad
The good:
1.I can inject how I please, typically 120 e5d instead of e7d. I pre-test my testosterone on my own before going for his.
2. I take liquid Hawthorne to effectively lower my BP short term
3. I have plenty of refills on test

So my dilemma... seek a new doc? Or play the game as I have been?

Curious as to your thoughts. I don't have a checkup until April

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1. He said most men age 35 have test in the 300's- That is quite possibly true, but why would you ever want to be most men. We are making ourselves better and I'd venture the reason most of us are even on this forum is because we don't settle.

2. He said to not be so precise with blood draw day- This is true, but you should still have an idea where you are at a particular point so you can adjust if needed. I go to my doc every 3 months so I can be sure my numbers are staying where I want them.

3. He said 299 is fine (even though I was terribly lethargic)- 299 is not fine and especially only 5 days after inject. You should be right at or right below mid range.

4. 4 nurses have noted my systolic BP in the 140-155 range and diastolic 84-100 but he said that's not high bp. (Family history of high BP)- I don't pay a lot of attention to this unless you are taking readings daily and know this is average. If so, then it is a little high. If you just get this reading the one time you go in for a visit, it means nothing. Single BP readings are pointless and it could be stress from going to the doc, food you ate, the fact that you were lethargic, etc...

5. Consistent 90+ minutes wait time after scheduled appt.- That is complete BS. If I ever wait 15-20 minutes past my appointment, then it is rescheduled and the doctor hears about it. There is no tolerable excuse for that behavior other than poor office management or a doctor that does not care about or respect his patient's time.

6. Higher copay ($37.50)- Not something I'd worry about if you are only going in every 6 months.

7. Authoritarian attitude- Goes along with the 90+ wait time. I'd be shopping around for another doc. Sounds like this guy doesn't have a clue and doesn't care about you.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
good points. This doctor/patient relationship doesn't feel as comfortable as I'd like. My first plan is to see if my GP can take over. He's the one who referred me to this endo (in network) so we will see. I can email through this My Chart app and the doc/nurse will reply.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
The scariest thing to me about your original post is your doctors elitist mentality.

I would search out someone else if it were me personally.

That type of mentality rarely puts you the patient first, and doesn't really allow for him to be open minded.