MINOR DISC BULGE - now what?

mcs5309

Awards
Injured lower back after going too heavy on machine squats about a 2 years back, then injured it again last year, although the recovery time was half.

In the last few weeks, I have been experiencing similar sharp pains even without any leg work. In fact, it is most painful after a night's sleep or even laying down for a more than 30 min. and then getting up, the pain is at its worst.

Once I'm up and about, the stiffness and pain subside somewhat. I am able to do my workout and cardio as long as I don't squat.

Finally had MRI done last week (see below). Although mild, I show minor disc bulge in three areas: https://app.box.com/s/3wd2dzfxnefwi47mrqc3

Makes sense that any type of compressive movement to the discs - especially squats, deads, even jogging - and I will wake up the next day with worse pain.

Researched a few different decompression machines DRX 9000, VAX-D - or I could just go purchase an inversion table or chair to do it myself.

Don't know is chiro or ortho doc would be best route. Also, whether I should go PT or A.R.T. as some clinics offer both.

Any insight appreciated!

red910

Awards
Injured lower back after going too heavy on machine squats about a 2 years back, then injured it again last year, although the recovery time was half. In the last few weeks, I have been experiencing similar sharp pains even without any leg work. In fact, it is most painful after a night's sleep or even laying down for a more than 30 min. and then getting up, the pain is at its worst.Once I'm up and about, the stiffness and pain subside somewhat. I am able to do my workout and cardio as long as I don't squat.Finally had MRI done last week (see below). Although mild, I show minor disc bulge in three areas: Makes sense that any type of compressive movement to the discs - especially squats, deads, even jogging - and I will wake up the next day with worse pain.Researched a few different decompression machines DRX 9000, VAX-D - or I could just go purchase an inversion table or chair to do it myself.Don't know is chiro or ortho doc would be best route. Also, whether I should go PT or A.R.T. as some clinics offer both.Any insight appreciated!
See about getting some PT. I have had back surgery due to bulging discs and spinal stenosis, and PT helps alot. Avoid deads and squats and leg presses, switch to lunges for now. And yes, any kind of bouncing, jumping, running, etc... will aggravate it. But, lots of people have bulges, so it's not that big of a deal , unless you also have stenosis, which is a narrowing of the spinal column opening. In that case you can get nerve compression, because when the disc bulges, the nerves have no wiggle room in the column and just get smooshed. I have also had cortisone injections straight into the disc, those also help because they reduce the inflammation and allow you to get on with your PT without pain. But, cortisone is a powerful immune suppressant, so you have to weigh options.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Do plenty of hamstring stretching while keeping an arch in your back. Do one leg at a time and focus more on the one that is tighter. I bet you have one tighter than the other.

Also plenty of ab and core work but choose ab exercises carefully. No twisting movements at all.

Design a routine around your injury that does not aggravate it, even just a little bit and stick to it for a few months.

red910

Awards
Do plenty of hamstring stretching while keeping an arch in your back. Do one leg at a time and focus more on the one that is tighter. I bet you have one tighter than the other.

Also plenty of ab and core work but choose ab exercises carefully. No twisting movements at all.

Design a routine around your injury that does not aggravate it, even just a little bit and stick to it for a few months.
Agree with most of the above. I used have really loose hamstrings, until after back surgery, now I have to stretch them alot, and they will tighten up when your back is injured. As far as excersises, that's where a good physical therapist can be of help. They can prescribe the correct exercises to strengthen areas that may be deficient .

mcs5309

Awards
Finished my first week of PT which is 3x's/week for 6 weeks. I also have shoulder impingement which is more painful than the lower back issue. I feel tendonitis/bursitis in my elbow joint as well. I actually feel worse now, especially when waking. Ortho doc has suggested getting cortisone shots to the lower back to help reduce the inflammation during PT. I may need it and for the shoulder (again - had two).

Should I gets the shots? If after my 6 weeks of PT and no improvement, am I doomed if I don't have surgery?

I am 53 and in otherwise good health. On a side note, my doc has rx'd TRT and nandrolone (not for this, but because of my low free T), but haven't yet started. I also am looking into rhGH. I have seen many posts about it helping rebuilding collagen and for joint issues and have asked the ortho docs about HRT and they agree it will definitely help.

Perhaps inversion therapy would help?

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
Finished my first week of PT which is 3x's/week for 6 weeks. I also have shoulder impingement which is more painful than the lower back issue. I feel tendonitis/bursitis in my elbow joint as well. I actually feel worse now, especially when waking. Ortho doc has suggested getting cortisone shots to the lower back to help reduce the inflammation during PT. I may need it and for the shoulder (again - had two).

Should I gets the shots? If after my 6 weeks of PT and no improvement, am I doomed if I don't have surgery?

I am 53 and in otherwise good health. On a side note, my doc has rx'd TRT and nandrolone (not for this, but because of my low free T), but haven't yet started. I also am looking into rhGH. I have seen many posts about it helping rebuilding collagen and for joint issues and have asked the ortho docs about HRT and they agree it will definitely help.

Wow you're doctor gave you a scrip for nandrolone. I need you're trt doctor!!

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
See if you can get him to give you a scrip for some trenbolone. :lol:

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards

I don't care what they say about the golden years it just plain sucks to get older. I would get the cortisone if you need it, physical therapy really does help. And everything i've read and people that i've talked to have said that surgery should be the absolute last option because there's no guarantee and there's no going back once they cut into you.

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
I've heard too many horror stories of people getting back or shoulder surgeries and it's either worse after or no change at all.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I've heard too many horror stories of people getting back or shoulder surgeries and it's either worse after or no change at all.
Agree with this.

mcs5309, how is your diet?

I think it's funny, but sad, that MOST doctors don't ask how your diet is but they are pretty quick to start giving you drugs. I'd be looking into NATURAL ways nutritionally to decrease inflammation as it sounds like you have a lot!!

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Injured lower back after going too heavy on machine squats about a 2 years back, then injured it again last year, although the recovery time was half.

In the last few weeks, I have been experiencing similar sharp pains even without any leg work. In fact, it is most painful after a night's sleep or even laying down for a more than 30 min. and then getting up, the pain is at its worst.

Once I'm up and about, the stiffness and pain subside somewhat. I am able to do my workout and cardio as long as I don't squat.

Finally had MRI done last week (see below). Although mild, I show minor disc bulge in three areas: https://app.box.com/s/3wd2dzfxnefwi47mrqc3

Makes sense that any type of compressive movement to the discs - especially squats, deads, even jogging - and I will wake up the next day with worse pain.

Researched a few different decompression machines DRX 9000, VAX-D - or I could just go purchase an inversion table or chair to do it myself.

Don't know is chiro or ortho doc would be best route. Also, whether I should go PT or A.R.T. as some clinics offer both.

Any insight appreciated!
I had the same injury feb 5th of this year then reinjured it may 5th.

Initial injury was from back squats. Second time was dead lift

Look up McGills big 3 and do them religiously. And never go back to back squats. Use front squats.

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
I had the same injury feb 5th of this year then reinjured it may 5th. Initial injury was from back squats. Second time was dead liftLook up McGills big 3 and do them religiously. And never go back to back squats. Use front squats.
Front squats are just not the same. But when injured you gotta do what you gotta do.

mcs5309

Awards
Agree with this.

mcs5309, how is your diet?

I think it's funny, but sad, that MOST doctors don't ask how your diet is but they are pretty quick to start giving you drugs. I'd be looking into NATURAL ways nutritionally to decrease inflammation as it sounds like you have a lot!!
Diet is clean, low carb, moderate to high protein, moderate to high fats, no processed food ever, all organic every day. I do IF & keto. Take many anti-inflammatory supps. I've done it all naturally.

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
I'm not sure that a clean diet can help with 3 bulging discs.

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
Unless it's due to advanced aging brought on by nutrient deficiencies.
Well op injured it doing heavy squats so chicken, broccoli and brown rice probably won't help. Lol

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
I had same prob. Severe herniated discs between L3-L4 and L4-L5. Couldnt even walk upright. Found a great chiropractor, had me fixed in 4weeks. Might be an option for you.

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
I had same prob. Severe herniated discs between L3-L4 and L4-L5. Couldnt even walk upright. Found a great chiropractor, had me fixed in 4weeks. Might be an option for you.
You're ok squatting and doing deadlifts?

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have to be careful when i do. I do gvt workout. Lighter weight more sets. 10x10. I still go to chiro for maintainance once a week. I also have 80% degenerative disc at L5-S1. So some days are worse than others. Cant lift as heavy as i once could but feel better after a good back workout. I also do frt squats more than back.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Lately for legs i've been doing Leg Extensions and Leg Press. Calves and Hammies first then alternating the extensions and presses to which one goes first.

After those i hold a 50lb plate against my chest and squat at a moderate speed till the burn gets too much, catch my breath and do it again. My legs have taken on a completely differant look. For the better, and not a hint of trauma to my back and knees.

I know you can't beat squats but if you can't do them you can't do them, simple.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Diet is clean, low carb, moderate to high protein, moderate to high fats, no processed food ever, all organic every day. I do IF & keto. Take many anti-inflammatory supps. I've done it all naturally.
Then if your nutrition and supps are in order then you have to look at the type of training you're doing.

Maybe you need to back off the intensity a bit, change exercises. Do more core work, abs and stretching etc.

It's frustrating i know. I love training 110%....LOVE IT!!! It's my precious time and it's my chance to get real agro so the hardest thing for me was to back the intensity down but you have to listen to your body. What advice would you give to someone if they came to you with your problem?