The “If It Fits Your Macros” diet is an excellent choice for those who want to stuff their face with all kinds of candy, cookies, donuts, ice cream, burgers, pizzas and all kinds of junk food, and still be able to lose weight. It sounds incredible, doesn’t it? Well, it’s true.
The beauty about IIFYM is that unlike other types of diets which limit your food choice and give you a strict meal plan throughout the day, it gives you the freedom to eat whatever you want during the days provided that it fits your macro goals for the day. This diet is designed for people who want to either build muscle or gain fat, which is the reason why it has become so popular among so many personal trainers and professional bodybuilders.
If you’re wondering what “macros” are, it’s the short term for macronutrients, such as proteins, carbohydrates and fats, which are essential ingredients for our bodies, without which it cannot function. If you calculate how many macros you’ll need for a specific day you’ll be able to eat whatever you want in moderate amounts and still be able to reach your fitness goals.
1. When first starting this diet you need to calculate the exact number of macros that you want to reach each day. You can do this by using an online calculator which calculates the the number of calories and amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats you’ll need for the day. The online calculator takes into account how physically active you are, your weight, height and the goals you’re after. You can find such a calculator on iifym.com When you calculate your macros you’ll see how flexible you can be during the day with your choice of food.
2. Once you do that, next thing to do is get yourself a journal and keep track of everything you eat y measure the amount of food you’re eating and ensure you’re not overeating. Keeping a journal will show you the types of food you can eat to reach your macro goals and you can also measure the quantities with food scales or various on-line mobile apps.
One such app is “My Fitness Pal” where you can search an enormous database for countless food products, even restaurant meals. It’s customizable, you can enter your own foods and there’s also a bar-code scanning option which will automatically enter the calories and macros of the product you scanned. Studies have shown that people who track their food intake have a tendency to decrease their caloric intake subconsciously.
3. IIFYM will not force you to eat clean foods only, it’ll also allow you to eat foods deemed “not so clean”, but it will always keep you accountable that you don’t go over your caloric goals. And it’s not about being able to eat junk food as much as you please as some people consider it to be. It’s mostly about finding the right balance, and making the process of dieting more sustainable in the long-term.
As we said, some people think that IIFYM is about eating junk food to reach their macro goals. Instead, it’s about eating the foods you like in moderation. IIFYM also allows you to search for new food choices and help you reach your fitness goals by following the 80/20 rule. This means getting 80% of your daily calories from unprocessed, whole foods and the other 20% from treats.
When following the IIFYM diet you don’t have to put a limit on the foods you enjoy. This diet is all about balancing between having good nutrition habits and enjoying life. This particular diet approach can help you reach the physique of your dreams while being able to enjoy in delicious food. And when you start enjoying what you’re doing, it’s not a diet anymore, it’s a lifestyle.